Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should I buy based on my requirements?
Honda City 200 62.31%
Kia Seltos 34 10.59%
Hyundai Creta 23 7.17%
Something else 64 19.94%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 10:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a Tata Zest - City or Creta or Seltos?

Seeing your requirements/concerns, it's Honda city all the way. You can expect much better service experience and reliability too vis-a-vis Tata. It can serve you well for 8-10 years and would fetch a higher residual value as well.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 11:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Upgrade criteria:
1. Must be more powerful than Zest – minimum 1.5L Petrol or Diesel
2. Must be an automatic – only CVT/IVT and TC are considered. No DCT due to long term reliability.
3. Better safety features:
Honda City makes sense but I suggest you wait for 1 month, Hexa and XUV500 will be launched soon.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 10:46. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 20th December 2020, 11:47   #18
BHPian

Voted for the Honda City.
Me, myself being a owner of 2 Honda cars (Honda City - sold, Honda Brio- still using) would recommend you to buy the New City with eyes closed. It will never let you down. I never had any issues or even slightest niggles so far in my ownership. The iv-tech refinement in my Honda Brio (6 years old now) is exceptional (as in case of all Hondas).
The Korean sisters meanwhile, exists only to boast that it has Air purifier and Panoramic Sunroof, and comes out with 3 star (just missed 2 star) crash rating.
Too many gizmos, too many things to go wrong in the long run. You think only complicated sunroof could go wrong ? Related thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)
Vasanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:01   #19
BHPian

By Looking at your requirements , I voted for something else. The reasons are
  1. Eventhough the City got 5 stars in ASEAN crash tests, ,mostly the Indian version may not even get nearer, the reason being that, Indian version is sub-standardized for safety to give more mileage and cost cutting. The simple example where company privately acknowledged was Spresso, where Suzuki publicly acknowledged that , the Indian version is a substandard version compared to the one which is on sale on International market. Even with the cars that are being exported from India, they are being manufactured from a different assembly line, so it can't be taken, even an Indian Manufactured car is being tested in an export market. Secondly from your requirement, you want a driver's car. And City is not a driver's car (comparatively). I have driven Zest on race tracks, and I can tell you, you will be disappointed with the dynamics of City.
  2. Both Creta and Seltos, I will say a big no, with your requirements. Two reasons. One the reliability and quality issues that we are seeing with these manufactures. I personally experienced understeer off-late in a Hyundai car and I was very lucky to avoid an accident while taking a sharp turn. Secondly, Seltos scored a mere 3 star and with the architecture comparison of Both Creta and Seltos (Indian one ), the Creta will surely get a lower rating. So by paying almost 2 million rupees and you don't get the peace of mind and security, I would say stay away.

My recommendations are (in that order)
  1. Nissan Kicks 1.3 CVT. This is a gem of an engine and you don't feel the lagging CVT properties, that we normally see in other CVT's. Secondly it's really value for money when you compare it with both Creta and Seltos. Currently with Magnite being a hit, I feel the future for Nissan is a bit safe. The only downside I can see for this car is very low mileage in practical driving conditions. You should expect only 9KMPL in normal driving conditions. (both city and highways)
  2. Harrier. It ticks all the boxes , except some dealers are still holding on to the old attitude and I couldn't digest that.
But , with both these cars (and Creta and Seltos too ), the motion sickness will play a spoil sport. Especially take it to to some roads, that has loot of turns. With that one suggestion is Rapid , but that is not a real upgrade for you. The other one is little higher on your budget, which is T-ROC. That will satisfy all your requirements, and it doesn't have body roll.
anumod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:41   #20
BHPian

A genuine advice if you're looking after power: Do not buy Creta or Seltos's IVT 1.5 petrol variants. The increased power delivery that you're looking for is simply not there and power is good enough for usual usage only.

Creta, Seltos's diesel Torque converter automatic variants are good though and offer decent amount of power.
sarav100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
By Looking at your requirements , I voted for something else.[*]Nissan Kicks 1.3 CVT. This is a gem of an engine and you don't feel the lagging CVT properties, that we normally see in other CVT's. Secondly it's really value for money when you compare it with both Creta and Seltos.
OP is from Pune. Nissan cars are not available in Pune region. I had tweeted Nissan India about it recently, they mentioned it will be operational soon- no timeline as such.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 13:06   #22
BHPian

Voted for something else. I own a 2019 Rapid and my neighbour bought a City in November, we shortlisted Rapid TSi and City petrol and after a lot of thinking, he decided to go for Honda considering he is going to use his city primarily in the city (see what I did here ) and he is a sedate driver so it suits his needs. However, we both agree that when it comes to long-distance cruising and ride-handling balance, the German still has a superior setup. Where city trumps is space and features. I would suggest you- do give a look at VW/Skoda siblings, though they are old in tooth, still they offer a strong fundamental of a car with good engine-suspension-build-safety aspect. And as far as after-sales is concerned, I believe its more to do with your rapport with the service team. I have done 39,000kms in 20 months and the after-sales experience has been a bliss. Last but not the least, whichever car you buy- Wish you lacs of happy miles.
sachin_cs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 14:11   #23
BHPian

For Creta and Seltos, a strict no after already driven a Tata car. Safety will always stay at back of your mind after driving a strong Tata car and all blinge in Creta and Seltos will fail to compensate for safety.

City, yes a great choice. But are you ready for it? You are already driving a high seated Zest which drives more like a crossover than a sedan. The feeling of sitting-on than sitting-in is a huge difference. Just take long test drives of City to answer the question above.

If you are open to expanding your options and if you have a buffer of 6 months, I would suggest Skoda and VW upcoming SUVs in price range of your interest.

Pros -
1.) Hopefully get all latest features present in your current options with the assurance of cars being safer than your current options.
2.) Will age well. People still buy Polo/Rapid/Vento even after 10 years.
3.) VW/Skoda driving dynamics, the already proven rocket 1.0 Tsi and a Torque converter are a dream combo.

Cons -
1.) Aftersales can be hit or miss. But with India 2.0 vision, VW and Skoda are working very hard to reduce total cost of ownership and they will eventually achieve it though in a few years.

Last edited by steadfast : 20th December 2020 at 14:14.
steadfast is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 14:32   #24
BHPian

My suggestion to you would be to wait for a couple of months. You won't be getting a huge chunk on your Zest's resale so it's better you wait for launches like XUV 500, VW Taigun, Skoda Vision In, Ford's upcoming XUV 500 sized SUV, etc. 2021 is going to be an exciting year with a lot of new entrants in 15-20 Lacs bracket. Also IMO honestly speaking, I find the City to be overrated with that NA engine which doesn't give you the needed punch in the midrange once it's loaded up and also the build would be lighter than your zest. So if you really want a proper upgrade, I suggest to wait and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.

Cheers!!

Lowflyer23

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 10:47. Reason: Typo
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 15:21   #25
BHPian

The skoda suv is right around the corner, it's a direct creta/seltos rival with similar features and price undercutting them, you'll be getting 2 engine options and 2 automatic gearbox options. Where it would beat the Koreans is in the safety aspect, so i think you should wait for that launch and then make an informed decision
yesyeswe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 17:42   #26
BHPian

My recommendation would be to test drive :
1. All SUVs in your price range and requirements. Which can be SONET, XUV 300, Ford Ecosport, (all available with 6 airbags). I know they are one segment below but no harm in having a test drive. In addition to Seltos, creta, kicks, Jeep Compass etc.

Compact dimensions may help in your apartment parking.

2. All sedans, including Verna, Vento, City. Verna has similar gadgets like creta, but in a sedan form.

Test drive in all conditions and if possible with important family members in the back seat for their evaluation who knows you may have different winner.

City you might find little longish for compact Pune roads.
smileline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 18:26   #27
BHPian

Voted for the City.

You clearly have mentioned the pros and cons in your opinion and it feels like the best option for your needs.

Since you already own a sedan, City will feel like home. It also ticks most of the boxes in the safety department. While so do the Koreans, I would be wary of the long term reliability.

The engine is another point I believe as the City’s 1.5 is still one of, if not the best petrol in the segment. The Koreans have a great turbo but again, reliability is a concern.

I suggest you take a long TD of the City to check for the Ground Clearance but don’t rule it out for solely that as the other cars are not off-roaders or terrain crushers but just have a GC advantage.

Wishing you best in finding your next ride.
alikidwhy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
My fellow BHPians
Wow, thank you Sam, it is as if you read my mind and posted this query. I am in same confusion. Currently drive a Manza Diesel, 10.7 years old. The car has its share of niggles, but haven't let me stranded anywhere. It still drives strong, but parts have been failing too frequently. Just this week the break booster and master cylinder gave up. I think this year overall I spent close to 40k to repair the car and for 2 weeks it was in FNG for repairs. The most financially wise decision will be to continue use the car, because any new car with the features offered by the current car will cost upwards of 15 L. Compared to that the 40k spent in a year to repair the current car is nothing.

But once the normalcy is back and I have to go to office (hope work from home won't become permanent ) I will need an automatic car. Can't drive a manual any more in this traffic. The cars I have shortlisted based on budget and features are exactly the 3 you mentioned and the criteria too is same.

I have test driven the City CVT this week. After that I didn't feel spending 17L on City is really an upgrade worth from Manza. Major let down were the Hard plastics inside and the steering feel, especially at low speeds. I felt the ride and space better though. So the premium I have to pay will be for the additional safety features (not sure on City's structural stability though), space, and brand value.

After this, don't even feel to test drive Creta, Seltos. Both are hatch on steroids with known safety issues. And I can't convince myself to pay an additional premium of 3L on top of City.
sreerknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:56   #29
rpm
BHPian

Apologies if it has been answered before, but any specifics for blacklisting the Verna?

Seeing your must haves, I feel upgrading to a Seltos/Creta seems more of a sidegrade in terms of safety, because you'd be increasing the number of airbags at the cost of a better built bodyshell. City hasn't been crash tested either and since Honda altered the dimensions of the City for the Indian market, it would be difficult to say if the same rating is applicable to the one sold here. Verna also seems an odd proposition in that case, given the history of Hyundai.

I completely understand if you're not very adamant on crash ratings in general, but please thoroughly think through the safety aspect and its importance to you, before you go on to make the purchase, so that it doesn't weigh on your mind later. And please do take this as a mere suggestion, nothing more. I do not wish to impose on you and neither are you answerable to any random internet stranger about what is worthy of your money.

I wish you all the best for future purchase
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:43   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Apologies if it has been answered before, but any specifics for blacklisting the Verna?

Verna is a downgrade in his case when it comes to cabin space.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks