Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: What should I buy based on my requirements?
Honda City 200 62.31%
Kia Seltos 34 10.59%
Hyundai Creta 23 7.17%
Something else 64 19.94%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 22:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrading from a Tata Zest - City or Creta or Seltos?

On the lower end of your budget, you may checkout the Ecosport Petrol AT. It satisfies all your criteria with the lone exception of boot space.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 22:29   #32

Hello, I guess I can relate to this question as I just bout the City ZX (CVT) on 9th December after a 30 day search for the right family car (that I and my wife can drive) - we moved to India last month after staying abroad for 15 years and both my wife and I are set onto an automatic.

There are 4 broad comparison points for City vs its Koran competitors:

1) Sedan vs 'SUV": I guess the City cannot win the argument given the poor quality of roads oil our country, municipality's love for speed breakers, and general road sense apathy in our country. Larger wheels, higher ground clearance as well as a higher seating position enables the driver control an 'SUV' better than Sedans in India.

I did although make a change on the third day of purchase of my Honda City- that was to change the Bridgestone 185/55/R16 to a Goodyear 195/55/R16. I must say this has made a step change in the ride quality.....ride and steering have become softer- honestly, it suddenly seemed as if I was driving a different car altogether (part of Gurgaon that I live in doesn't have the best roads- some sections are wrongly termed as road there)- the drive even on a 3 day old card changed considerably- I gloat about that decision to change the tyres.

2) Interiors: City wins this argument hands down against Mid Variants of Creta as well as Seltos. Interiors of the City are plush, they have used plastics but the tough and feel still is premium. Korean cousins have very basic plastic (dull colour) and plastic ringing interiors in the their mid variants. Top ends of both these SUV's are very nicely done and plush. However, you will end up coughing up at least 3lacs more (why 3 lacs is clearer in the engine and transmission part of the answer).

One of the major differences that I noticed in the City (I test drove almost all automatic cars (non luxury), on offer in India currently), the City's Cabin is the most Silent, yes, even quiter than the Verna.

The feel is premium from the word go with the City.

3) Engine: Now this is where things are more subjective. The Petrol (naturally aspirated) engines in the Seltos and Creta are no-where in comparison to the Honda IVTEC- we are comparing Chalk and Cheese here. The SUV's are under powered and will not return decent mileage figures.

The matter is completely different when you move to the Turbo engines that the SUV's have. Those are torquey and quick. The drive is a little louder (and the cabins are not very quite) but the feel there can termed as 'quite good'. This is where the deal becomes better than the Honda City (mainly the naturally aspirated engine).

The Diesel versions of the Kia and Creta are also quite powerful and compare well with the Turbo gasoline versions on ride quality and overall feel.

4) Automatic Gear Box: This is a major gap with the Honda City. The CVT is nowhere close to the experience you would get with the DCT's in both the Korean SUV's. I have driven CVT's before (few years ago I had a Nissan Altima and later a Lancer for some time)- the City CVT leaves you high and dry just when you need it most- typically a quick overtake or rush- the sound and feel is really not upto the mark. Honda should have thought this out better.

So, If you plan to use the car as a city drive vehicle (to work and back) and an occasional weekend getaway (as I plan to do), then you will really not feel the negatives of the CVT, else, if you plan to drive the car extensively, along with some adventure, please look at the DCT options.

So you may ask why did I buy the City? My decision was influenced by:

1) The ride quality (touch and feel, cabin experience) that I got with the Honda City was fantastic. The top variant was plush and gave a premium feel for the price I paid. The Seltos and Creta (top variants) are good if you are willing to spend 20L (although you will still have to spend even more to make the cabin quieter- maybe damping). Also, although the Korean cousins are called SUV's they aren't really SUV......for 20L, you should be looking for a Harrier (almost 22 for the Top End Automatic) or even for that matter an Innova. I didn't want to spend this kind of money on mini SUV's.

2) Honda Service network is dependable and costs are reasonable. Kia still has to demonstrate this (I am old enough to remember the Daewoo Matiz & Cielo experience).

Hope this helps you to decide.
Sam77 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 00:26   #33

While the Honda City is a great car, the GC is quite annoying. You always need to be careful on bad roads and speed bumps. My friend owns the 4th gen City and complains about the GC a lot. I, myself have experienced it while we were on a drive to Pune from Navi Mumbai. We were just 3 people with 3 backpacks in the boot and the car scrapped on every speed bump. (We took the old mumbai pune highway).
Also, you've mentioned that your family is a heavy packer, so if you plan on taking your city on a vacation, get ready to scrape your car on every bump and pothole.

I own a Kia Seltos, and the car is a little wobbly at low speeds, but is stable at higher speeds. Also, the body roll is well contained and won't bother your wife with motion sickness.
The diesel engine is smooth and packs the punch.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Aryansood295 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 00:51   #34
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
My fellow BHPians,
I am in a dilemma here choosing my next ride between 5th Gen Honda City, 2nd Gen Creta and Kia Seltos. Can you guys please share your wisdom?
Thank you for reading this patiently.
Considering your requirement, I would suggest Honda City. My Dad's car is the 3rd gen City while I have 2019 Creta. So am able to compare. For bumper to bumper traffic, I guess Creta is big. Not that City is small either but relatively it is lesser in width. Honda City's ground clearance is an issue with non-std speed breakers & potholes. But great for highways due to great engine & dynamics. Creta tends to have a bit of roll at higher speeds due to higher GC but not really noticeable in isolation. I guess that is the trade-off for bad roads & high stance. But I don't think it will cause any motion sickness. Creta's handling is also very smooth much like a sedan. And I love the commanding position you get in Creta.
Choice between City & Creta is very difficult as both are great vehicles. My only leaning in this case towards Honda City is that your primary requirement is city drive.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 01:25   #35
BHPian

Voted for the City. Meets all your criteria, just make sure that you feel comfortable parking it at your place because it is the longest car in this comparison.

Based on most of the reviews I have seen, there is no tangible improvement in braking in the all-wheel disc brake variants of Creta. Also, there have been some cases of brake failure in Hyundai/Kia cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam77 View Post
I did although make a change on the third day of purchase of my Honda City- that was to change the Bridgestone 185/55/R16 to a Goodyear 195/55/R16.
1. Would this cause any potential warranty issues?
2. How much did this switch cost? (New and old tyre costs)
3. Why didn't you go for 205 section?
AutoConsultant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 02:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Honda City. I was recently in the same boat as yours. For my kind of usage the city suited me well over the seltos and creta. Even the starting variant "V" comes with all the safety equipment of the top variant except for the additional 2 airbags in ZX. My car is the V variant (starting) and comes with height adjustable drivers seat which makes a difference. Do adjust your seat height while taking a test drive.
Quote:

Upgrade criteria:
1. Must be more powerful than Zest – minimum 1.5L Petrol
2. Must be an automatic – only CVT/IVT and TC are considered. No DCT due to long term reliability.
3. Better safety features:
It is very clear the city ticks all the boxes :

Reliable engine + CVT
Definitely a long lasting vehicle.
Less chance for the model to go out of date (Hyundai and Kia update/facelift every now and often, which makes your car look outdated)

One thing though, you must be prepared after purchasing a sedan is the obvious question, "Why didn't you go for a SUV/crossover ?" This is one thing I have been hearing for a while It is as if I stole a car ! You said you have a Zest. I am sure folks must have asked you back in 2014 " Why a Tata ?" Don't bother about what others say. It is your decision to make !
If you like a car/form go for it !

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 10:46. Reason: Trimming quoted post
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 07:29   #37

Hi, regarding the questions on tyre change:

1) the difference in circumference is <2% and shud not paster Honda, i went by hearsay that many get this upgrade.

2) since my tyres were very new, i got a net price after buyback of Rs 3000 per tyre.

3) with 205 section, the circumference is >4% higher and the tyre shop owner ( a mech engineer himself) advised against moving to 205 citing steering tightness issues (stresses parking and slow speed manouvers) and lower mileage given more weight and friction
Sam77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 09:44   #38
BANNED

I would suggest the Honda City on the basis of space and practicality of the car. In terms of space and practicality on offer, the Honda City has always been a benchmark in its segment and same is the story with this new model. The new fifth-gen Honda City is the longest and the widest sedan in its segment. The City has been always known for its back-seat comfort and this new fifth-gen City is extremely comfortable at the rear bench too. That's because it has more than enough space for the rear passengers and a roomy cabin with good ambience. It has a massive 506-litres boot space too. It depends on your requirements whether you want a spacious sedan or a high stance SUV.
Cyclist 97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:54   #39
BHPian

Having Jazz experience and your wife with motion sickness, would suggest Honda city. Upgrade the tyres to 195 width and you get an additional 5mm GC which makes it to 170mm which is almost close to so called SUV GC. How ever the build quality might let you down if you compare with European cars.

Unfortunately, there is no car with 6 air bags and strong build quality in 20 lakhs segment.

If you could stretch, would suggest Harrier or Compass. Both have very strong build. But they are completely in next segment.

As I always say, Creta being 5 years old now, there is no competition that its sibling Seltos also sells well. Shame on Honda, Suzuki, Ford, Mahindra, Tata, VW, Skoda for not able to RnD a good Creta competitor even with 5 years time
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:05   #40
BHPian

Voted for Honda City!

It will be a worthy upgrade from your current ride, and it is far better than a pseudo SUV like Creta / Seltos. Yes the Korean twins might be leading in one or two things but as an overall-reliable-VFM car the Honda City takes my cheque.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:50   #41
BHPian

I too voted for CITY and the logic is the same - OP's requirements. The requirements were already pointing towards City and it leading the votes is not a surprise.

OT - Went through several posts in this thread and I want to know what is that additional factor/desirability quotient that made you to vote for City apart from the regular Sedan/SUV debate?
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 16:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Honestly, the Korean twins are overrated and the new city is underrated…. but also make sure your parking accommodates it, as it is a good 60cm longer than the zest
Thanks PrasannaDhana. Agreed. TDing the City this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Seeing your requirements/concerns, it's Honda city all the way….
Thanks Bibendum90949.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
Honda City makes sense but I suggest you wait for 1 month, Hexa and XUV500 will be launched soon.
Thanks gjnnbagal. Hexa and XUV500 are too big a car for my requirements and parking space constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Voted for the Honda City.
Thanks Vasanth. Thanks for sharing that thread. I had gone through it earlier. I am hoping that some of these issues are taken off by Hyundai in their recent launches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
By Looking at your requirements, I voted for something else.
My recommendations are (in that order)
  1. Nissan Kicks 1.3 CVT.
  2. Harrier.
T-ROC.
Thanks anumod.
Kicks - It is gem of a car and the 1st one to offer 360 degree cam feature in that segment. However, the CVT isn’t offered in top end and that’s a downer because it skips some of my safety requirements. Couple it with sparse dealer network and reliability concerns and it doesn’t give me much confidence to purchase a Nissan. I don’t see many Kicks around. Long term reliability and brand ASS is an important factor for me (more than GC) in the purchase decision.
Harrier - Love this car but too big for my budget and parking.
T-ROC - I absolutely loved T-ROC and it struck a chord but it is 25L on road in Pune, which is about 25% higher than my stretched budget of 20L. Plus, being CBU, maintenance costs and spares availability is a concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
Creta, Seltos's diesel Torque converter automatic variants are good though and offer decent amount of power.
Thanks sarav100. Yes, they do. I am going to TD both of them too even though they are above my budget.
If they fit in my tight parking spot and also in finance calculations and the home minister approves, I will definitely opt for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Voted for something else…… do give a look at VW/Skoda siblings.
Thanks sachin_cs. I am not too sure if I want to put my money on 1 liter 3 cylinder turbo pot. I waited for VW Taigun 1.5 TSI Turbo DSG/TC (I’m not sure) in 2020 but looks like VW doesn’t have a timeline on launch. Also SKODA Vision IN is still in concept stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
City, yes a great choice. But are you ready for it?
…I would suggest Skoda and VW upcoming SUVs in price range of your interest.
Thanks steadfast. I waited for VW Taigun 1.5 TSI Turbo DSG/TC (I’m not sure) in 2020 but looks like VW doesn’t have a timeline on launch. Also SKODA Vision IN is still in concept stage.
Will be TDing City this week. Let’s see how the feeling is compared to Zest’s relatively high seated position compared to other sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
My suggestion to you would be to wait for a couple of months.
Thanks Lowflyer23. I waited for VW Taigun 1.5 TSI Turbo DSG/TC (I’m not sure) in 2020 but looks like VW doesn’t have a timeline on launch. Also SKODA Vision IN is still in concept stage. I am still a couple months away from making the final call so till then if I hear the news about VW Taigun launch, I could consider waiting. I also have parking space constraints so that limits my choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
The skoda suv is right around the corner
Thanks yesyeswe. If I am not wrong, SKODA Vision IN is still in concept stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
Test drive in all conditions and if possible with important family members in the back seat for their evaluation who knows you may have different winner.
Thanks smileline. Yes, need to TD with my family to get their POV too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikidwhy View Post
Voted for the City.
Thanks alikidwhy. Agree on all your points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Apologies if it has been answered before, but any specifics for blacklisting the Verna?
Thanks rpm for your suggestions. Verna isn’t as spacious as even Zest, forget City, hence it is not on the list. Also, my FIL owned 1st gen fluidic Verna and we have experienced its backseat. It was horrendous and they haven’t fixed it even with the new gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Verna is a downgrade in his case when it comes to cabin space.
Exactly PrasannaDhana. Tata spoils you for space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
On the lower end of your budget, you may checkout the Ecosport Petrol AT. It satisfies all your criteria with the lone exception of boot space.
Thanks narayans80. My Zest has more space than Ecosport. Also I am refraining from cars in that segment since we already have a Nexon in my extended family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam77 View Post
1) I did although make a change on the third day of purchase of my Honda City- that was to change the Bridgestone 185/55/R16 to a Goodyear 195/55/R16. I must say this has made a step change in the ride quality.....ride and steering have become softer- honestly, it suddenly seemed as if I was driving a different car altogether
Thanks Sam77. All valid points. What about warranty if you change tyres? Any safety concerns to keep in mind if I decide to upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Considering your requirement, I would suggest Honda City…. I love the commanding position you get in Creta… My only leaning in this case towards Honda City is that your primary requirement is city drive.
Thanks rkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Voted for the Honda City….
Thanks TrackDay. We have put money on Tata cars 6 times till now. So I expect folks to ask questions but it doesn’t bother. We have never ever had a single bad experience with Tata, contrary to the popular opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist 97 View Post
I would suggest the Honda City….
Thanks Cyclist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirumalavoleti View Post
….. there is no competition that its sibling Seltos also sells well…
Thanks tirumalavoleti. Hyundai & Kia are milking the no-competition scenario when it comes to Creta/Seltos. I have to short list based on parking space constraints too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Voted for Honda City! …..
Thanks kamilharis. “overall-reliable-VFM” – like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryansood295 View Post
While the Honda City is a great car…..
Thanks Aryansood295. I would be TDing the Seltos too.
sam264_2000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:46   #43
BHPian

Voted for the City. We have the '12 City & it has been a pleasant ownership experience. Only until now the steering rack has begun to make noises & the AC knob needs to be changed. Absolutely love the I-VTEC and the new Sokai cockpit. It is such a clean layout & having driven long you can go on and on with that motor. Go for it! Pls do upgrade the audio though. The OEM aint that great. I am just not able to connect with the Seltos or the Creta.

Last edited by coolmel : 21st December 2020 at 17:48.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 17:48   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3. A bigger and powerful car inspires confidence and urge to go on long drives/vacations and retain them longer.
After reading the OP, I`m not going to suggest a vehicle brand or model , but some general suggestions based on your requirements. (long ownership, travel, space, luggage etc)

- Buy the biggest, roomiest vehicle for the money - you get to keep it for longer.
- Do not worry about engine size and power figures on paper, if its turbo and its able to pull the 5 of you effortlessly (pickup), that is good enough.
- If you are going to travel outstation, consider a crossover - they are a good insurance against bad road conditions.
- Buy into brands that are going to stay in India, has good dealership network, models that sell reasonably well to secure future serviceability.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 20:58   #45
BHPian

My suggestion may seem weird - but having gone through your requirements of long term reliability, space and budget between 17-20 lakhs, I have some things to say.

Before that, I see you are discounting Harrier type cars stating space is a problem which I am unable to fully understand, because, I would think the most suggested car Honda City will be almost equal in dimension except for the height when compared to a Harrier - roughly 10-15 cms longer and 7-8 cms wider. Does this make a difference ? If you now feel Harrier is an option, I would suggest look for a well maintained, low run, GX AT Innova Crysta as many good options are available well within your budget for reliability, service. Space, out station trips, peace of mind and fell good factor.

I picked up a Z MT recently from Toyota UTrust - a wonderful car/van it is.

Thought of putting my ideas to you

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 21st December 2020 at 21:00.
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed