Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2021, 13:40   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which SUV on a 2million rupee budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
Hi everyone,
I hope all are doing well and staying safe.

I have a budget of 15-22 lakhs max for a new car (Crossover/ SUV) and I am in a dilemma about which one to go for.
I'd recommend going ahead and check out the Suzuki S-Cross. It's built much better than all other Marutis and suits your criteria very well. The only bugger is the 4-speed TC gearbox.

If you don't want that, I fear you're only options are the Hyundai/Kia sisters.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 15:44   #107
BHPian

Re: Which SUV on a 2million rupee budget?

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I hope all are doing well and staying safe.

I have a budget of 15-22 lakhs max for a new car (Crossover/ SUV) and I am in a dilemma which one to go for.

The main requirements:

1) Frequent trips to outstation
2) 2 kids so ISOFIX is mandatory in the back seats.
3) Will serve as a daily driver in the city so definitely Automatic and definitely no to an AMT, no offence to anyone who got it. Also busted my knee 4 years back and can't ride a manual without feeling pain.
4) Safety is utmost priority over features like wireless charging
5) Good ride quality
6) Generous boot space
I can recommend you to go for Creta Diesel AT as it is a proven vehicle and it will fulfill your requirements as well.

TBH, the Creta has much better ride quality than the Seltos and your family will not have any issues in the back seat while doing trips.

And, if driveability along with safety is important, then get the Seltos DCT, but be aware of DCT issues while purchasing.

The 3* rating might be an issue in the Seltos but build quality seemed to be quite decent in GT-Line version when I had checked my close friend's Seltos recently and the Seltos seemed to perform well in real accidents as well, irrespective of GNCAP result.

But, I would you suggest you to go for Creta SX(O) Diesel AT as it has better ride quality and better rear seat space than the Seltos.
car_guy1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 07:59   #108
BHPian

Re: 2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Not ready for the used route once again. It's definitely a new car that we are aiming at.

Was willing to give the s-cross a chance but the gearbox is a bummer.

Uncertainty over Diesel's future in the country is making us lean towards petrol, we plan to keep the car for a long time, considering we have already kept our other cars for 10+ and 5+ already, 7 years will be minimum and I think by that time we'll have restrictions on Diesels.

We test drove the Hector petrol CVT yesterday and found it to be perfectly suited to our requirements. The CVT is mated to the engine better than the DCT and should give a little more mileage. Test drove Creta petrol CVT, I can't find any diesel auto for test drives, and we liked it but the feeling of extra space in Hector is what is leading us to shortlist it and also the fact that it's available in a month rather than 3-4 months for Creta. My wife liked it so much so she's willing us to go for the Plus and will sponsor the extra monies for it
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 23:06   #109
BHPian

We are looking for a replacement for 1.6 S Cross.
Last week, we did back to back TD of Jeep Compass Diesel manual, Hector diesel manual, Hector CVT petrol and then Safari XZ+ Manual. Earlier, in the previous week, we had driven Harrier manual and Automatic.

To have a fair opinion, all the cars were also driven by wife. The joint conclusion by our family is :

# The diesel Jeep Compass manual is closest to engine performance in our current car. The interiors seem less roomier than S Cross. Jeep is overpriced for the value it offers but still in contention.

# In Harrier manual, clutch is not comfortable, while in automatic, the brakes felt spongy. Lack of rear discs puts it out of consideration.

# Hector felt too bouncy at speed breakers and steering is unconnected at speeds over 70 kmph. Tried it repeatedly in 2 tests, CVT felt a bit better. Bells & whistles are keeping the sales up in this car. Anyway, not a driver's car, so this too is out of consideration.

Read somewhere about launch of RX 5 from MG in India, simply love the way the car is designed.

# Safari manual also felt quite good; the ride & handling is good, body roll was lesser than expected, space is plenty and feels like a proper upgrade! But, am I ready for a TATA car?

Should I look at Creta diesel? The New shape is not liked by anyone in the family.

Still, none of the cars in 2 million budget matches the torque to weight ratio of my present car.

Now, waiting for Skoda Kushaq/ VW Taigun!

Last edited by breezydrive : 12th March 2021 at 23:24. Reason: Spell check
breezydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 23:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Last week, we did back to back TD of Jeep Compass Diesel manual, Hector diesel manual, Hector CVT petrol and then Safari XZ+ Manual. Earlier, in the previous week, we had driven Harrier manual and Automatic.
My question is- why replace? It surely doesn't seem like you want an AT or a significantly larger car (Creta is an outside contender). For the big $$$ you'll be spending, the incremental value is miniscule.

Just my two cents. Please go through this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...rade-swap.html (ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 01:11   #111

I had the same dilemma when I wanted to upgrade from my Ford Fusion. None of the cars were as spacious or fun to drive. I took a decision to buy a used Ecosport 2015 AT for the city and a used 2014 ENDEAVOUR AT 4*4 for highways. Both the cars have some life left and built well. It was money well spent on two solid cars. Unfortunately corona put a dent in my driving plans! You could get a used BMW X1 for that kind of money
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:46   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post

To have a fair opinion, all the cars were also driven by wife. The joint conclusion by our family is :

# The diesel Jeep Compass manual is closest to engine performance in our current car. The interiors seem less roomier than S Cross. Jeep is overpriced for the value it offers but still in contention.

# In Harrier manual, clutch is not comfortable, while in automatic, the brakes felt spongy. Lack of rear discs puts it out of consideration.

# Hector felt too bouncy at speed breakers and steering is unconnected at speeds over 70 kmph. Tried it repeatedly in 2 tests, CVT felt a bit better. Bells & whistles are keeping the sales up in this car. Anyway, not a driver's car, so this too is out of consideration.

Read somewhere about launch of RX 5 from MG in India, simply love the way the car is designed.

# Safari manual also felt quite good; the ride & handling is good, body roll was lesser than expected, space is plenty and feels like a proper upgrade! But, am I ready for a TATA car?

Should I look at Creta diesel? The New shape is not liked by anyone in the family.

Still, none of the cars in 2 million budget matches the torque to weight ratio of my present car.

Now, waiting for Skoda Kushaq/ VW Taigun!
Take a look at the Kicks Turbo petrol. It ticks the boxes in terms of space, ride quality and performance. It has a decent feature set in the top variant as well.
Old 29th March 2021, 12:30   #113
BHPian

I think most of us are missing something. If we consider the price of Honda City from 2007, we will now be getting a mid spec Amaze. But the fact is, the Amaze has most features and even the size is almost nearly as big as the OHC. Even the current City that cost the same price as the Old Honda Civic is almost identical in size and has same features. So I feel that it is unwise to compare the current C segment sedans to the old ones. When looking for a car, I feel that a test driving more cars will help you choose a better car. And judging by your requirements, I feel Honda City is the best choice. The old gen Honda City is currently available for 12 lacs onroad, even that is a fantastic VFM. Also please consider the safest Indians XUV 300 petrol AT since you got spoilt by the Fiesta. I test drove the Maruti 1.5 petrol, although it is pretty decent, its more of a workhorse and does not thrill us with its performance. But it gives almost close to 17 kmpl. The best thin about XUV which most of us ignore are is that it is based on Tivoli which is a much bigger car. So the car actually feels SUVish. I think it would be a worthy contender in your race.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:09   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Take a look at the Kicks Turbo petrol. It ticks the boxes in terms of space, ride quality and performance. It has a decent feature set in the top variant as well.
Exactly....! I have taken these aspects into account for my Kicks XV Premium (after canceling the 2 months waited Seltos booking) booking and will be taking the delivery in few days. It is still cheaper than Seltos HTX by ₹ 40,000- ₹ 50,000. Interiors probably not as tasty as Seltos but I can't believe that cars now days, that are less than ₹ 20 lakhs - ₹ 22 lakhs have very dated engines and interiors.
Old 31st March 2021, 09:12   #115
BHPian

I am also facing a similar dilemma with my 10 year young T-Jet.

The detailed discussion are @
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ml#post5028901 (How to replace a Fiat Linea T-Jet?)
(in case interested).

I do not have much to add here, as most of the important aspects of the decision making have been discussed. I would, with permission of the members reiterate / summarize them (at least that is how I am closing my decision now):
1. A car that costed 12 Large 10 years ago will cost at least 20 today if you buy the same car again.
2. Do you want an upgrade? The premium for upgrade has also widened in the same proportion. So what additional 1 lac over 12 lac could do 10 years ago, you would require 2 lac for the same differential today.
3. Decide what is important to you. For example, where do you see yourself driving more? Tarmacs? Any where? Do you keep on expressways? Or do you not check the condition of the roads before setting out? Do you like to reach from point A to point B in max comfort? Or do you (and of course your co passengers) enjoy the journey as well - stopping - detouring and what not - roads being as important as the destination...

For example, I, moving from T-Jet am closing on Compass due to following reasons:
- I want an upgrade - I will have to shell 22+ from that perspective.
- While this will be my daily driver as well, I would be on roads for 20 days a year (2 trips of 10 days each) - I want a mile muncher.
- (Fortunately) all 3 of us are all about the journey - reaching destination is never a hurry - I want a fairly capable de-tourer - where I would not feel I am being unfair to her for taking her on roads not meant for her. (I have this guilt for driving my TJet over some patches while on my way to Manali recently)
- Driving pleasure & Safety over feature list for me.
Hence the decision.

Each of us have different priorities, purpose and reasons. Hence the decision will change accordingly.

Further, as for having a complete and perfect car:
There is no one size fits all for the same reasons that the requirements and expectations of each is different than the others.
There may not a perfect one in existance, but there sure is a perfect one for you.
And once you find her - don't hesitate to walk that one extra mile for her - cause if you do - she will do that too - during her years with you - which will be many if if the relationship is built over love.
And Yes - I am still talking about a man and his car only.

Last edited by shikhar10882 : 31st March 2021 at 09:18.
Old 31st March 2021, 10:08   #116
BHPian

Quote:
...Uncertainty over Diesel's future in the country is making us lean towards petrol.......7 years will be minimum and I think by that time we'll have restrictions on Diesels.

We test drove the Hector petrol CVT yesterday and found it to be perfectly suited to our requirements. The CVT is mated to the engine better than the DCT and should give a little more mileage. Test drove Creta petrol CVT, I can't find any diesel auto for test drives...
Restrictions on Diesel may come in form of sale of new Diesel cars. Diesel fuel would still be available for sale because heavy transportation vehicles still run on Diesel. So if availability of diesel fuel is a concern for you, then need not worry.

Please go through Hector CVT threads. You would see folks reporting 7-9 kmpl mileage. It's a fuel guzzler. Between Hector CVT petrol and Creta Diesel TC, I would blindly go ahead with latter for obvious reasons. A wait period of 3 to 4 months is okay given you would use the car for 7 years minimum.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 31st March 2021 at 10:09. Reason: Grammatical correction
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 10:24   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Restrictions on Diesel may come in form of sale of new Diesel cars. Diesel fuel would still be available for sale because heavy transportation vehicles still run on Diesel. So if availability of diesel fuel is a concern for you, then need not worry.

Please go through Hector CVT threads. You would see folks reporting 7-9 kmpl mileage. It's a fuel guzzler. Between Hector CVT petrol and Creta Diesel TC, I would blindly go ahead with latter for obvious reasons. A wait period of 3 to 4 months is okay given you would use the car for 7 years minimum.
Yup, agree with your first paragraph.

I didn't see any threads on Hector CVT. I think you got it mixed with the DCT threads. CVT was launched very recently and I reached out to a couple of people who have bought it and they claimed more mileage than the DCT. Anyways, the toss came between 5 seater Creta and 6 seater hector Plus and the latter won. But I managed to convince my family to wait for Alcazar and XUV 500 (might be off the list with reports of it being launched in Diwali) for now.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 10:33   #118
BHPian

Quote:
.... I think you got it mixed with the DCT threads. ...
Sorry, yes I got confused between CVT and DCT. Good luck with the car purchase!
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed