Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 16:08   #16
BHPian

re: 2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?

The best car that meets all your requirements is the Innova Crysta Petrol base GX AT. It is incredible value for money. Safety, space, reliability and good enough for all the "off-roading" a regular guy does. Comes with a no-nonsense automatic and 3 airbags including a knee airbag. Anything extra can be added at the dealership itself. Android Auto/ Apple Car Play is also included now. FE is actually quite good especially after seeing what the DCT in the competition gives. Falls right in your budget too. Whatever extra you are spending over the Cretas and Seltos' will be recovered in the low service costs and the resale. Get it and spend the next 11 years adding more memories and exploring the country.

Last edited by Iyencar : 28th January 2021 at 16:09.
Iyencar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 16:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
A question for you though. Did you find your city bottoming out in Gurgaon roads or worse when it gets water logged in within an hour of the rains?
Never had the bottoming issue unless the speedbreaker is way too big. As for water logged roads, I avoid driving through them as this is a weak area for any sedan. We have to be careful.
Old 28th January 2021, 17:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

In the sedan space, there is sadly nothing on offer unless you're able to get one of the last stocks of the Civic at a healthy discount, or find a good deal on the Elantra.
Both of these are amazing cars, and do feel a lot more premium than their siblings.
If you're okay with the drab interiors, the Rapid too is great value for money and a solid car but it won't feel like a big upgrade from the Fiesta.

In the pseudo SUV space, you have the S Cross on one end of the price spectrum : the slightly dated looks and gearbox are big irritants but liveable; with the other option being to wait for the Kushaq / Taigun - the 1.0TSi with the Torque Converter would be my pick for peace of mind, even over the additional features the top end 1.5 TSi DSG would bring to the table.
The Creta is a great option too, if you have the patience. Sadly even with the previous generation I wasn't able to get a test drive the two times I was in the market and ended up buying other options and haven't looked back - however the newer generation is supposedly a big jump up compared to it's peers.

If you're open to pre-owned, you have a lot more options : Civics, Corollas, Elantras, the odd Hyundai Tucson & Toyota Camry Hybrid would be the pick. Try and find something within warranty, low run (2018 + models with less than 20K on the odo). Get a proper paid check up on the vehicle you like by the A.S.S. & splurge for maximum extended warranty!

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th January 2021 at 17:59.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 18:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

If you're open to pre-owned, you have a lot more options : Civics, Corollas, Elantras, the odd Hyundai Tucson & Toyota Camry Hybrid would be the pick. Try and find something within warranty, low run (2018 + models with less than 20K on the odo). Get a proper paid check up on the vehicle you like by the A.S.S. & splurge for maximum extended warranty!
That's one option I have in my mind for sure. The problem is the online portals for used cars do not really throw up new(er) cars. Everything is almost always 2015 or before. I have not been able to take out time to visit the off line dealers which I sure would be doing in February.

One option is I book a Creta and keep my search on, if something comes up I cancel the booking or who knows I get lucky and get a Creta before I could find a competent pre-worshipped car
New.Novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 18:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's one option I have in my mind for sure. The problem is the online portals for used cars do not really throw up new(er) cars. Everything is almost always 2015 or before. I have not been able to take out time to visit the off line dealers which I sure would be doing in February.

One option is I book a Creta and keep my search on, if something comes up I cancel the booking or who knows I get lucky and get a Creta before I could find a competent pre-worshipped car
What portals are you using?
Our own TBHP classifieds, carwale, olx, etc. are pretty good and have filters allowing you to select year / kms, etc.

You could book the Creta, but check on cancellation policy once. If it's 100% refund, no harm except for when you'll be chasing the dealer for the refund.
In our case we booked the vRS before they got the next batch in - around 2-3 month wait, but cancelled when I fell in love with a pre-owned 328i.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 18:39   #21
BHPian

No matter what car you buy, you are going to miss the tack sharp steering and the dynamics of Fiesta. Or the snarl of Duratec if it was a Petrol. Good luck with your purchase.
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 20:07   #22
BHPian

Re: 2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
No matter what car you buy, you are going to miss the tack sharp steering and the dynamics of Fiesta. Or the snarl of Duratec if it was a Petrol. Good luck with your purchase.
You nailed it, indeed a Petrol
New.Novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 20:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you look at it, what we want is not very different than what most buyers would want. Space , Features (worthy of the price) , Easy to drive (translated to Automatic) , Fuel Efficiency and a sense of upgrade from previous drive.
Why don't you go down the pre owned route and pick up a well maintained Skoda Octavia, say a 2 year old car with warranty still intact. Pardon me if you've already indicated pre owned is not an option for you.

Trust me, after being with a Ford Fiesta for such long time, life behind the wheels of a Honda won't be easy. While it may be an upgrade on other front, it would be a huge set back when it comes to driving experience. Keep this in mind when you switch from Ford to Honda or any other Japanese car. Recently my friend moved from Figo to XL6 and each day he's missing his Ford. That's how Ford spoils you with it's brilliant package of driving dynamics. I'm sure you know what I'm speaking about.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 28th January 2021 at 21:05.
Old 28th January 2021, 23:17   #24

Hi Newbie
I'm in almost the same situation as you. Budget 20 L, utterly confused with the choices available. Bidding goodbye to my Corolla which has given yeoman service over the past 17 years. As with you, this will be my second car, the only difference being that my other vehicle is the Hexa XTA (monopolised by my better half).

Requirements - Fun to drive, automatic, safety.

My journey so far:-

Seltos - Looked interesting, Love the features and gizmos (yes I'm a nerd) However some bad reviews/experiences on the forum.

Creta - Didnt excite me

Harrier/Hector - Too big

Rapid - Too old

Started searching the preowned route. Went to OLX/Carwale and a few dealers in Delhi. Was tempted by some great deals on 5 year old Audis/BMW. I saw a sweet 3 series GT that called to me like the siren to Odeysseus. Loved a Volvo S60 that I saw. Did more research on the forum and realised that my heart was being dumb. Dumped the Germans and shortlisted the following:-

Camry - 2016 models, 60-80000 kms done retailing for 18-20 L.
Pros- Bulletproof reliability of the Toyota
Cons- Imminent Battery change of the hybrid

Octavia - 2019 1.8 TSI L&K, 20000 km done available for 20 L (pre negotiation)
2015 2.0 TDI elegance 70000 km done, asking price 10 L. Some others in between.

Pros - Fun to drive, safe, auto
Cons - ASS, That bloody unreliable petrol DSG

Superb - 2018 TSI L&K 42000 km @ 22 L
2016 TDI Style 55000 km @ 16 L

Pros - Fully loaded, reliable DSG
Cons - Too big. Poor FE. Meant for rear seat rather than the driver.

Biggest issue is trusting the used car dealers to not sell you a lemon.

Leaning towards the 2019 Octavia. Planning to wait till the Kushaq and new Octy are released. Will decide then. The wait is torture.

Happy hunting!

Cheers
Aarvee76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 23:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, while I am still undecided which one it is going to be , I thought I will initiate this discussion here and pick on the mind of more "tuned" people. How I wish we have choice of competent sedans between 15 to 20 lacs, I would have not even considered a Cross Over and would have waited for my finances to meet the threshold of a true blue SUV. Alas, that's not the case and doesn't seem to get any better any time soon. Unless some of you know if a real good contender is coming any time soon?
I can relate to quite a lot of what you are facing. I have a 9 years old Vento Tdi, which I absolutely love. My brother has a 6-7 years old XUV500. We both have had a few discussions around the possible replacements.

He wants an SUV and the problem with SUVs is that they are primarily diesel (At least the ones which offer decent performance to efficiency ratio). Diesels in NCR will have much lower resale values because of the NGT rule even 5 years into their lives.

I am a sedan guy and sub 20 lakhs, the only other car that I like is Octavia. But even Octavia mid models on-road are more than 20 lakhs. I fear after owning a Vento for a decade, I will have to buy a Vento only, again (This time Petrol).

I am really looking forward to Kushaq though!! Fingers crossed on its positioning by Skoda!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 10:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

I was in the market for a new car under 20lacs a few years back and I am of the same mindset that nothing feels like it is worth it. Infact I believe the only sub-20lac car with a justifiable price is the Tata Tiago see if you can pick up a JTP one and if it is good enough for you, or else you will need to buy a used D-segment sedan. The S-Cross is a also a fair offering if a bit boring but worth a look.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 10:28   #27
BHPian

Coming from a Fiesta, you would be spoilt by the handling and braking (I know I was!). It's hard to accept a car with mediocre handling. This was the reason I outright rejected many cars when I upgraded in 2020. With a strict budget of 15L OTR, the surprise contender for me was the S-Cross 1.3D(one of the very last ones). It ticked all the right boxes for me, and the handling and braking was the very best in the segment. Unfortunately, the 1.5P version loses out in terms of power delivery, but the rest of the factors remain unchanged.

If I were in your shoes, I'd bite the bullet and pick the Compass for its ride, handling and looks. More importantly, thus would be a car that'd tug at the heart.
railfanwithk750 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 10:51   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No offence meant at all, but along with the lack of a "complete" car, there is also a lack of a "complete" buyer .

You are rejecting some cars based on frivolous reasons. Further, we need to accept that there is no such thing as a "perfect" car, no matter what the budget. Even someone who spends 1.5 crores on an S-Class has to contend with seating just for 4, poor boot space, air suspension failures, no memory seats (till very recently), sensor & other electronic failures and jaw-dropping repair bills.

Now, if the best car in the world isn't perfect, what's to say of the poor little 20-lakh car?

Quote:
Not much to write here
You have to live with the car, not the salesman. You will spend 10 years with the car and a cumulative 5 hours with the salesman. So ignore his behaviour and find another dealer / salesperson. Unwise to reject a car just because of this - my related thread (Had a bad sales experience at a dealer? Please do NOT eliminate the car model because of that!).

The Kia is also identical and a lovely car, safety rating aside. The Jeep is fantastic - if you like it, spend the extra money and go for it. As you keep cars for so long, you are anyway saving big bucks. A 2 lakh premium over 10 years is 20,000 / year of ownership.

Quote:
But what was one of the biggest put off was the reported FE of 6 to 7 for Hector AT.
A Civic AT also gives you 6 - 7 kmpl. On the one hand, you like the Hector's size, but on the other, you are unwilling to compromise the lower FE that comes with that size. What would make you happy? 8 kmpl? Do you want to dump a car entirely just because of a 1 kmpl difference?

Let me assure you that - more or less - ALL Petrol ATs will be guzzlers in the city. Including that Jeep Compass you loved.

Quote:
But being in NCR, I would have no choice but to replace it in 10 years max. 10 years from now is a long time
If the Harrier was a Petrol AT, it would give you a similar 6 - 7 kmpl. Would you accept that? If yes, then go back to the Hector.

I have merely listed some examples above, but I think (again no offence meant) that the way you are approaching your new car purchase is totally flawed. We can change "2 million" in the title to "10" and you still won't see a perfect car. Team-BHP has yet to review a car with an empty list of "what you won't like" points.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2021 at 11:11.
GTO is offline   (81) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 11:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Maybe wait for the Kushaq/Taigun? They should have the Jeep-like experience at a much lower price + good automatics.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 11:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No offence meant at all, but along with the lack of a "complete" car, there is also a lack of a "complete" buyer .

, you have summed up very well

I am in the market to upgrade with budget of 25 Lacs and I am facing same dilemma. However when me and my wife were evaluating the options few days back, we told ourselves exactly the same things which you have mentioned (my wife was more clear on this front than me!). So after we looked at all the options as per our requirements and narrowed down on Harrier/Safari AT and Hector AT, the observation was that

- Hector scores in some areas (Space, Equipment, Comfort, Price etc.) but loses in other (lame AT gearbox, FE, Driving dynamics etc.).
- Harrier/Safari scores in some areas (Looks, extra 2 seats, better AT Gearbox, Ride quality etc.) but loses on some, in comparison to hector (Higher price, missing equipment etc.)

So the summary is to be clear on the priorities and urgency (of course budget too) and go with best which meets the 'most of' the criteria! Also, it invariably happens that we purchase a model and upgrade comes for the same model within months with more features. Again, I feel there is no point in regretting the decision!
varman742 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks