Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 12:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You are rejecting some cars based on frivolous reasons.
I think people here are into the trap of Analysis-Paralysis! I have owned cars which a lot of analysis would have rejected. Bought one which was the most logical one, hated it the most, sold it within a year with a huge depreciation hit.

I have figured out a simple funda for car purchase, when it comes to choosing between Head and Heart, GO WITH WHAT THE HEART WANTS! You never regret it. Also, sub-consciously you reject the car which your heart doesnt want by frivolous reasons.

Your car may be high maintenance, low-GC, etc, etc. But do you feel happy when you drive your car?

Pick the car which has an YES to this question.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 29th January 2021 at 12:03.
2000rpm is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 16:16   #32
BHPian

Based on what I could sense out of what all you mentioned, I would suggest wait for Kushaq / Taigun which I think will fit the bill for you.

Expected price 10-15 lacs
1.0 and.1.5 ltr turbo petrols.
Wonderful gearboxes on offer
Amazing built quality and fit/finish
Aiming for 5 star rating
WITHIN YOUR BUDGET (expected)
I am expecting these will be great to drive as well.
raaj.bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 16:31   #33
BHPian

I think your quest for a perfect car that ticks every box will never be fulfilled regardless of the budget. Something or the other will always be missing or will be compromised.

Rather than getting all the boxes ticked, select 3 to 5 which are non negotiable and NEED to be ticked. After that go with your comfort level and the feeling when you and family test drive the vehicle. The main 3-5 could be anything that are important to you like space, safety, fuel economy, manual or AT, petrol or diesel, etc. Just don’t make cosmetic factors one of these boxes like sunroof, auto boot closing and things like that.

Choosing a car is an exercise of both logic and heart; use the logic to short list few that meet your basic requirements & budget and than use the heart to zero in on the one you eventually purchase.

Last edited by click : 29th January 2021 at 16:33. Reason: Punctuation
click is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 16:08   #34
BHPian

I believe that the Verna Turbo GDI can be a decent pick as well. Having a look at that car wouldn't hurt, to be honest.
tanbeamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 10:32   #35
BHPian

Why not the Skoda Rapid Monte Carlo?

Pros:
1. Superb 1.0 engine and very nice AT
2. Decent safety
3. Great ride and handling balance
4. Oozes character in the red color

Cons:
1. The car is based on old platform. But, so are cars like Innova crysta.
2. Not much modern features like that of a hyundai.
3. Questionable after-sales support.

If anything, I think Skoda Rapid Monte carlo comes close to your requirements and if you plan to keep your car long, trust me - with good periodical maintenance the polo platform cars are long lasting!

I have a 2011 polo and it is still going strong. Also, I added a Rapid 1.0 TSI AT to our garage recently - absolutely loving the power train and the neutral handling!
1LR-GUE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 10:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

I agree that cars have become more expensive and the Honda City is the same class as your current Fiesta. Honestly though, I think the Honda knows that the City has significant advantages over the Ciaz, Verna, and Yaris and prices the car at a premium.

There is no “perfect car.” If you want something better than the choices you’ve listed, why not go the used car route? You can get used a Corolla/Camry/CRV for cheap.

EDIT: Try creating a spreadsheet and list a weighted score for each car based on multiple attributes and their importance. Look at which car scores the highest. If mind and heart (nearly) agree, that might be the right choice.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 31st January 2021 at 10:41.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 10:45   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
Based on what I could sense out of what all you mentioned, I would suggest wait for Kushaq / Taigun which I think will fit the bill for you.

Expected price 10-15 lacs
1.0 and.1.5 ltr turbo petrols.
Wonderful gearboxes on offer
Amazing built quality and fit/finish
Aiming for 5 star rating
WITHIN YOUR BUDGET (expected)
I am expecting these will be great to drive as well.
I would add some more features as well.
4 airbags standard, 6 on top variant
ESP, TC standard
Ventilated seats
Wireless android auto and apple car play
10 inch infotainment unit on top variant, 7 inch on base
Sound system with subwoofer
TPMS
1.0 TSI manual as well as with torque converter
1.5 tsi manual as well as with DSG and paddle shifters
Sunroof (normal one)
Upto 6 years of warranty

You can check of kushaq's thread, read it from page 4, i have mentioned a lot of details. But it would be launched in March with deliveries expected in June

Last edited by yesyeswe : 31st January 2021 at 10:46.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:01   #38
BHPian

Well, even I struggle with the same dilemma which you have. I have a 2013 VW GT TSI. In 2013, had told myself that I would upgrade it in 5-6 years. When the time came, there was simply no "upgrade". Most of the tech has not changed. Cost cutting has increased. Fun to drive factors are not anything in the league of the GT.
The closest things that have touched my heart are the Jetta, the kodiaq diesel which now closed and the Endeavour. All three are way out of budget for me now and nothing really has twiddled my heart. So till the time I need a bigger car or I have the budget, I am holding on to this one.
Old 31st January 2021, 11:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Few considerations you should make:

1. Do you need an upgrade or if you are ok with lateral swap. If upgrade, you need to shell out 25-30L. Fiesta was a C segment sedan and would have cost you 8-9lacs or lesser 11 years ago. But for same segment you will end up spending 18-20Lacs thanks to inflation.
2. What does upgrade mean to you? If it's space, engine, drive then current crop of C segments will not wow you. If features is what you have in mind, Seltos/Creta for example will be a super upgrade.
3. With increasing fuel prices, car will be expensive to run. There is no immediate solution for this, may be 2-3 years down the line there will be good number of EV's. Since you are gunning for petrol, tune your mind to shell out more.
4. Lastly not just in 20L bracket, you will see this issue at all price levels. A car will miss out on some or other thing and you will have to make a compromise.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:21   #40
BHPian

Such type of dilemmas are happening as Indian automotive manufacturers are somehow not able to warm up to 20-30L price brackets.

I see a big opportunity in this segment and really no one is willing to bet money here. Sure there is TATA and Mahindra, but we need more players and more competition

Many folks who buy Creta / Seltos top end can be converted to a 25-26L rupee price if there is strong and potent product available (at equal feature list). Creta / Seltos onwards, there is a significant price inefficiency that creeps in. Either due to CKD, CBU, low volumes, no manufacturer focus, surviving as single product company and so on.

TATA and Mahindra is available, but size is tad larger. Jeep is there but too expensive (more expensive than the premium it deserves), Tiguan, CRV never really existed. Tucson is a generation older, Skoda is too conservative to expand on Karoq and Kodiaq with local manufacturing.

Everyone wants to crowd the compact and sub compact SUV segment and not create a new segment in India. Many success stories in India have happened because companies have created new segments with bold steps (e.g, XUV, Ecosport, Duster, Creta, Innova, Fortuner etc.). Why can't Skoda/VW become kings of 25-30L SUV segment just like Creta / Seltos are for 15-20L segment?

What is more frustrating is that most of the companies have these products in global line up, but not here with reasonable price premiums.
SourPai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:25   #41
BHPian

Sometimes I feel the great advantage of the internet can also be a disadvantage as we're exposed to so much of in-depth knowledge on cars, that in our own heads we create this dream car, which doesn't really exist in the real world, even if you're willing to spend in 8 figures. While while generally reading all that knowledge is great and enriching, but when it comes to making a car purchase for our own selves, it becomes a problem.

Most knowledge shared on the internet comes from experienced enthusiasts who drive multiple different cars on a daily basis, which helps them figure out nuanced differences in different cars. Which most regular car buyers like me cannot even spot since we anyway will be driving only the one car we bought most of the time. And test-drives aren't enough for most people to spot small differences.

The way auto technology has evolved, it's very hard or maybe impossible to find a car that would really let one down. Every car has an array of features, good mechanicals, comfort, space, reliability, etc. and ticks almost all the boxes that a one-car-man would need.

So any car that you buy, if you're not terribly delighted with it, chances are that you also won't be terribly unhappy with it.

This happened to me a few years ago, when I bought a car and later I read somewhere that people didn't consider it fun to drive and was initially a little disappointed for not having properly researched, but 8 years later in hindsight I only have good memories with the car of all the fun that I had with it and zero disappointments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarvee76 View Post

Seltos - Looked interesting, Love the features and gizmos (yes I'm a nerd) However some bad reviews/experiences on the forum.
There's got to be a reason that Seltos is selling like hot-cakes. Don't let a couple of bad experiences completely dissuade from ruling out a potentially great product. For every bad experience I'm sure there are hundreds of Seltos owners who are enjoying it as well. I personally know many of them.
fast&curious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:34   #42
BHPian

There is no such thing as the perfect car. You won't get everything from a single-vehicle. Every car has some cons. It is up to you to decide if those cons really matter to you or not. I suggest you stick to a segment, either sedan or SUV. It will be an injustice to compare a sedan with an SUV. Make a list of essentials(non-negotiable) that you want from the car.
Old 31st January 2021, 11:53   #43
BHPian

Your situation has been summed up nicely, good writing first up.

Coming to the cars, specifically since coming from a Sedan like Fiesta, we don't have any upgradable option in the 15-20L segment, DOT. The maximum you can hunt for is a Civic from the remaining stock or a used Octavia. Someone has suggested the base AT variant of Innova which looks like a good option. But at the end of the day, you will have to live with the efficiency of around 6kmpl with these petrol SUVs & MUVs. Maybe the Civic could give you a figure around 8 in the city if driven with a soft foot.

Even though City won't be a logical upgrade, that is the only recommendable sedan upgrade to you, the car is a complete package that is tried and tested and will easily last for 10-15 years if you would like to keep it.

Harrier XT+ Dark Edition would have been my default pick for the budget, had there been an option of Diesel in your requirements, Fantastic CAR!

All the best for your hunting.

Last edited by kamilharis : 31st January 2021 at 11:55.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 12:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Very relatable to a 2014 GT TSI owner, especially upgrading the cons of the current steed without letting go of the pros!

One suggestion keeping long term ownership in mind, is to shortlist models which were launched not earlier than 'XXYY' so that the technology and the engineering is made somewhat future proof. Fancy trims or facelifts of an old generation model can thus be avoided.

5th Generation Honda City comes across as a veritable option if the cross-over SUVs don't carry much appeal
Old 31st January 2021, 12:54   #45
BHPian

I would suggest you have a look at the Elantra Petrol SXO auto. Its a very competent package in all aspects. You may get a decent discount since the segment is slowly dying out which may bring it closer to 20 lacs.

Its got a Good, powerful, refined petrol engine with drive modes, with the steering weighing up couple of notches in sport mode. Loaded with features to the gills. Good space, comfortable for long drives too. Just TD it once with the family and you'll be sold.

Last edited by Pashin : 31st January 2021 at 12:55.
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks