Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 16:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic | Rough Use Resistant | Mass Market Car

Go for the Urban cruiser or Brezza. They are the cheapest safe cars with a proper automatic. The torque converter is 4 speed, but you won't miss anything substantial until your cross 100 kmph. Since you mentioned you are a slow and steady driver, it may not matter much.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see your must haves sorted out

I would recommend the following, in order :
  1. S-Cross TC : TC, well built, good tyres, rough use friendly, decent GC, fuss free, good boot, Maruti. What you might not like are the looks and size. Do take a TD before discounting it, check the following thread for some insights : thread (CVT Automatic car for dad - Honda Jazz vs Toyota Yaris).
  2. Jazz CVT : CVT, fuss free, good boot, sorted powertrain. What you might not like is the "thin metal" feel like you experienced with the Amaze. How expensive is Honda's service ? owners can clarify better but should be workable.
If you decide on the S-Cross, check the Zeta version too, Alpha costs 1.48 lakhs more on road for auto wipers and lights, LED lights and art-leather seats.

Last edited by shancz : 3rd February 2021 at 17:11. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

I reckon there are just 3 or 4 cars that would suit your requirements:

The Rapid: Considering the time it has spent in the market, I assume all niggles to do with the gearbox, have been addressed and that the car is reliable enough to keep up with rough use. Owners ought to help paint a clearer picture here. If owners of the new Rapids say that they are reliable, and you have no issue with your leg scraping against the "waterfall" console, then should be okay

S-Cross: Simple, cheap, spacious, practical and robustly built; the last bit being something that is rare to come by in the Maruti stables.

Yaris: The badge itself stands for durability

Tiago: Slow AMT apart, it is one of the few good but honestly priced cars out there.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd February 2021 at 17:28.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 00:12   #19
BHPian

First of all, thanks to all the folks who responded. It is truly amazing to see so many responses in such a short time. Today evening I was telling my wife that I need to check if someone has responded to my post and here I got so many responses..!! Truly heart warming.. !

Further, looks like the table I had put up showing the "3 shortlisted cars" did not appear in the post. So here it is again (These are just the 3 cheapest ones after excluding Datsun) :
  1. Honda Amaze VX CVT
  2. Maruti Baleno Alpha CVT
  3. Toyota Glanza V CVT
These were the 3 brands and models about which I had asked questions. But I guess even without this table appearing in post almost everyone got what I was referring to and responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Glanza CVT suits your needs to the T. Lots of space, smooth CVT (I hate jerky AMTs) and a practical boot.
Thanks for the confirmation. Only places where Honda Amaze scores higher are boot space (80 ltrs more) and the "Sedan" tag (albeit "Compact Sedan").

Quote:
90% of the cars on sale today will give you reliable service till 1.5 lakh km. Maintain it like a BHPian and 2+ lakh km is doable.
Thanks. That's largely sufficient for me, I guess.

Quote:
Toyota .

Second choice Honda Amaze CVT
Was Toyota rated higher here as a brand or just that Amaze is not such a good car?

Quote:
Also consider the Vitara Brezza / Urban Cruiser as they got 4 stars in the GNCAP. Test-drive all 3 models and pick whichever makes you smile the most.
Vitara Brezza was in fact my second choice (Ignis being the first) before I did this whole study and spreadsheet thing. But wife just has rejected all "SUV like build" cars. Will try a TD of both and see if I should increase my budget and more importantly if I will get a nod from home ministry..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Your post has YARIS written all over it. Do test drive it please. Since its a slow selling car, you may get the discounts to keep budget in check!
That would be a huge stretch in my budget, no? The price in my sheet are from cardekho.com and it says 18L on-road. I believe even with discounts, it will be much beyond my current budget. There is also the concern of it getting pulled out and later parts not being available and all (as read in other threads in the forum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
While I understand your logic for ruling out AMT and DCT (I agree with your points there!), I do not think turbo should be ruled out. Turbos in today's cars are very reliable (as reliable as most other parts), and there is nothing unique there that requires any special maintenance.

In a rare case, turbos may require a replacement say when close to 100,000km. But with your driving pattern, that would be a long time and even then, it is only a small chance.

Further, most good engines today (both petrol and diesel) are turbocharged, and that is really the beauty of modern engineering. By eliminating turbocharged cars, you will lose out on most good engines of today.
I am not so against Turbo as much as AMT. However within my list there aren't many Turbo ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Is there a chance you can reconsider this? Given your requirements (and especially given that both you and your wife are new drivers), a good robust used car sounds perfect!
Very logical however I think it's just a sort of mental block for us. Someone a second hand car just doesn't feel right, especially when we are putting in so much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
GTO has summarized it very well.

Also, please add the Honda Jazz to your list - it feels more premium than the Amaze. Jazz is built for the US & EU markets, whereas Amaze is built exclusively for the developing markets.
I did not know this. So what aspects has Honda compromised on in case of Amaze? Amaze was the strongest contender until I started checking the safety aspects. So this info would really help.

On paper specs are very attractive and this comes across as a very good VFM car.

Quote:
The Jazz also has incredible visibility which your wife might appreciate considering she's new to (driving in) Bangalore.
We both will do a TD of this. Thanks.

Quote:
Maruti, Honda, and Toyota are generally fill-it, shut-it, forget-it type cars that can run a long time with minimal maintenance.
Thanks for the confirmation.
srirang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 01:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
1. Jazz CVT : Better built than the Amaze. Feels more premium and safer compared to the sub 4 meter compact sedan. Honda service is neither great nor bad, somewhere around Maruti and Toyota.
Did not understand the "somewhere around Maruti and Toyota." part. Are you saying that all 3 brands are about the same roughly? Or is that Honda mildly lags behind the other two?

Quote:
2. Glanza CVT: Premium hatchback with great space. Being a Maruti with Toyota service, you can keep it well maintained at a low cost for a decade or 2 Lakh KMs.
It wasn't until I read this that I knew about this being a cross-badged car. Thanks for this piece of info.

Quote:
Ruling our UC and Brezza as they are AMTs and you are not keen on it. You should consider.
I believe they both are TC and not AMT. However I think we will probably stick to a "traditional looking car" (a.k.a no SUV type build)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Have you test driven AMT, DCT, CVT & TC cars? Which one suits you? I find AMT is all sufficient for my neutral, sedate city traffic driving with not much compromise on city mileage too.
No, right now it is just what I have read. I will consider your suggestion and see if I can TD any one good AMT to get a feel of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
If altogether you are avoiding AMT still I will also recommend you Glanza or Baleno CVT based on city usage. My next choice will be AMT of Ignis for it's peppy nature. That driving position command and space management is top notch in Ignis.
Ignis was literally my first choice before I did any study. Wife shot it down just like that.. ! And then later I eliminated it for AMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I am absolutely loving my Swift VXi AMT. The ride is smooth and the jerks are hardly felt (if ever!). Do consider the Maruti Suzuki Swift AMT (AGS in Maruti lingo).
Let me think on this. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Sir, you seem to have both petrol and diesel options in your shortlist. Even though it's for your commute can you provide the expected mileage or maybe your monthly running. I am not sure if your budget is in ex-showroom or OTR but assuming it's ex-showroom...
Sorry I did not specify this detail. I am not looking for Diesel one. I am pretty certain I will not drive the car very regularly. From what I have heard diesel is not a good choice for such a pattern. Also the somewhat uncomfortable considering diesel purely from pollution aspect.

And 10L was my on-road budget but that was without any knowledge at all. I am now rethinking because of safety aspects.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If I were you, I would have bought the Honda Amaze. We got one in the extended family last year for a similar set of requirements. It is a totally VFM car.
Ooh.. first vote on Amaze from base on (almost) first hand experience. Would love to hear more on two aspects :
  1. The tin like feeling that gets mentioned in reviews everywhere.
  2. The "built to cost" which is getting mentioned in this thread - specifically where has Honda compromised to reduce the cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
From your priorities on safety and TC/CVT, two cars comes as top contenders from list,

1. Ford Ecosport Titanium+ AT
2. Yaris VX CVT
I agree, but both are out of my budget with Yaris being way out. I am however still rethinking my budget.
srirang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 03:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirang View Post
I did not know this. So what aspects has Honda compromised on in case of Amaze? Amaze was the strongest contender until I started checking the safety aspects. So this info would really help.
Don't get me wrong, you can't go wrong with either. Amaze is rated at 4* in the GNCAp crash test. Although the Jazz in India won't match every spec as the car sold in the US/Europe, a lot of design elements will be carried over. I honestly feel that the Jazz is definitely more refined than the Amaze. The Jazz may have a smaller boot compared to the Amaze on paper (350 vs 400 odd liters), but the seats fold in the Jazz. This can be a huge plus if you're carrying some large items.

Compact sedans in India feel build to a price, whereas the Jazz is a nice looking premium hatchback. Also, the interior space in the Jazz can put some cars like the Jeep Compass to shame.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th February 2021 at 03:43.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 09:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That would be a huge stretch in my budget, no? The price in my sheet are from cardekho.com and it says 18L on-road. I believe even with discounts, it will be much beyond my current budget. There is also the concern of it getting pulled out and later parts not being available and all (as read in other threads in the forum).
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4911682 (The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals)

Some guidance from our other threads. Try your local dealer for the best price of the entry level variant, you may hit jackpot sometimes on slow moving cars!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 09:27   #23
BHPian

Given the requirements, recommend the Toyota urban cruiser, NA 1.5 4 cylinder petrol, mated to a smooth TC box. Got mine delivered yesterday 😄
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 09:32   #24
BHPian

Another option I'd recommend is the jazz CVT. So smooth, with paddle shifters when you need them, plus humongous space! Only concern is, fully loaded, you need to be careful with some of the mountain turned speed breakers on our roads
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 09:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, you can't go wrong with either. Amaze is rated at 4* in the GNCAp crash test..
I would just like to add that its a Made in India, Sold in Africa model that was tested, not a Made in India for India model (untested yet).
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 11:08   #26
BHPian

The Jazz and Baleno/Glanza are the obvious choices fitting your criteria. If Budget can be extended by a lac or so the Ciaz auto is also a good choice. I was vary of its 4 speed TC, but I was proven wrong after driving a friend's Ciaz automatic.

I also feel that your omitting DCT and AMT transmissions is based on hearsay and not necessarily true. Take a TD of the polo dct and Ignis amt and evaluate the cars based on your TD experience. I so wish the Altroz automatic would be out in the market, it would have been the perfect fit for you.

Edit: The new i20 IVT would also fit the case. You'll get the latest looks and features in the Hyundai along with with a smooth and refined engine/gearbox

Last edited by Pashin : 6th February 2021 at 11:34. Reason: missed point
Old 6th February 2021, 11:18   #27
BHPian

If you are driving in the city, I would suggest adding an electrical car to the list. The Nexon EV. Thats the best kind of automatic you can get. Running costs will be a lot cheaper but you might have to invest about 16L for getting the car.

It is an extremely practical car. However range is 150-200km and you cant go out of town.

Last edited by lina : 6th February 2021 at 11:19. Reason: formatting
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 11:49   #28
BHPian

I was in a similar situation as you when I bought my car; except I had half the budget.

I bought an Alto AMT. It has completed about 20,000 kms. I am quite happy with it. The AMT jerkiness is not an issue at all, at least for me. Only if you are used to smooth DCT gearboxes, you may feel the AMTs lagging. Since it is going to be your first car and mostly driven within the city, I would recommend Alto. It saves you a lot of money, but more importantly, it is easy to drive around the narrow Bangalore roads. Parking, U Turns are all a breeze with alto. It is good for the occasional highway trips also.

If you want to splurge a little further, you can consider the swift/baleno AMT also. Even though buying a sedan is considered prestigious, it is a pain to drive around cities, especially Bangalore.
Old 6th February 2021, 14:07   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Hi,
I am a first time car buyer and I am what TBHP would refer to as a "non-car guy".
I wonder whether this is what you wrote in when applying for TBHP membership. Either way, one of these two is a lie

Quote:
I am looking for an automatic car purely as a commute tool.
jokes apart,
small hatch - ignis
slightly bigger - amaze cvt
even bigger - yaris/ciaz auto
are my suggestions.
Stick with japs, dont go korean/german
Old 6th February 2021, 14:14   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Vitara Brezza/ Urban Cruiser.
Pros- Easy to drive, safety rating,
Cons- SUV shape
But since you are not keen on the 'SUV like build' cars.

The next choice is the Yaris . Faultless for your usage. While I admit the top variants are way out of your budget, the lower-mid variants are decently specced too.
Pros- Easy to drive, stress free, safe
Cons- Sedan in Bengaluru traffic. Price

Jazz CVT and Baleno/Glanza CVT are also good choices if you could overlook the weak engine in the former and light build of the latter.
Amaze too would be a good choice, and I believe would end up being your choice.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks