Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Car should I opt for?
Seltos 84 19.58%
City 345 80.42%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 11:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs Honda City

Please stop overthinking and get the Honda City.
- from a proud and loyal Honda owner
Vasanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
Big Dilemma

So we are on the hunt for our new car since the past 10 months.
I've been given the opportunity to decide and zero down on the car that we're going to drive home . We currently drive a 2008 Lxi WagonR
We intend on keeping the next car for atleast 8-9 years , so the car should be reliable and niggle free. Also the car has to be petrol because of the stupid 10 year diesel rule by NGT.
Hey Gallardo, might i suggest waiting for the Skoda Kushaq or the VW Taigun. These cars will offer you much higher quality + drive experience compared to your options. I myself was in the market few months back and considered both your options. They seemed pale to me in-front of my 5 year old VW Vento with 130K kms on the ODO. I didn't go for either.

The VW/Skoda SUV will spoil you with Great interiors + Excellent Drivability + Build Quality.

But, if you had to choose between the two options, go for the city. It is a much superior car. Also note, if you do buy a Skoda/VW, in all probability you will always own an European car going forward
Schneller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:16   #33
BHPian

I am having 4th Gen Honda City, which many here say is not build as per Honda standards. But I am very satisfied with the car and have not grazed the under belly of the car even once on the speed breakers of NCR. The Engine is smooth and puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. The Car is very stable on the KMP Expressway at below legal limits of 120 km per hour.

You would have good internal space in front of the front and rear seats. Plus the sedan has all the space for the small family baggage in the rear.

I have no knowledge about Seltos. But it also looks good from the outside.
sensible_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_7 View Post
I am in a similar situation like you. Well not exactly. Its been more than a month I booked my Seltos IVT but still no update on delivery. The sales guy doesn't even remember me when I call him for the status! Just wanted to know that will the 25k deposit which I have paid get refunded if I cancel the booking? I cannot go with a Honda City owing to parking space constraints so will probably go for a Brezza or something as I need a car soon.
Yes ,you just have to write an email to the Kia showroom and attach a cheque along with it and you will receive your 25 k within a week
Gallardo_17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:32   #35
BHPian

Thank you so much everyone
Thanks for your overwhelming response
I've cancelled the booking of Seltos and I've booked City VX CVT and I'll be getting the delivery next month
I've opted for lunar Silver colour.
Thank you guys for your suggestions
I really appreciate it
Gallardo_17 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I want to comment only on this point. For people who are painting doubts on Honda's future I would say do not worry. Just the Amaze sells more per month than entire Skoda and VW Group put together. Why would anyone think Honda will shut shop?

They are just damn slow and will bring an SUV at their own sweet pace. Until then they will continue with their existing offerings even as the world around them moves on.
Its also not so encouraging that Honda is almost shutting down thier R&D in India and some are being layed off and senior employees are jumping ship to competitors.

They might still keep selling the City and spares might be also available aplenty even if they "give-up" on India.

Honda is focussing heavily on cutting costs.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 17th February 2021 at 12:37. Reason: Adding sentence
Old 17th February 2021, 12:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
..I've cancelled the booking of Seltos and I've booked City VX CVT..
Congratulations Gallardo_17! Good choice of the variant and the color too!
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Its also not so encouraging that Honda is almost shutting down thier R&D in India and some are being layed off and senior employees are jumping ship to competitors.
What I understand is that the volumes of Civic and CR-V did not justify for that plant to run profitable. Sensible financial decision IMO. Don't think they have shut down their R&D in India.
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:46   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Strictly between these two, I’ll say City.

But as an unhappy City owner, I’ll ask you to consider other options. 60-70km a day is A LOT, especially when petrol is 90 rupees a liter. You are based in Delhi. You should go for the Nexon EV. It has more space than Seltos. It’s ride quality is better than the City. It is built a lot better than both your current options, really sturdy, and is very safe too. You’ll have unbeatable refinement and smoothness to go with better performance and negligible ownership costs. Suits your requirements perfectly and fits within the budget as well. Oh and you’ll also get that sunroof you want.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th February 2021 at 12:48.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:55   #40
BHPian

My observations owning 2014 SV CVT for last 6+yrs:

City Mode:
- Zero issues driving in bumper to bumper Pune traffic.
- Fuel economy for bumper to bumper is ~10kmpl whereas going around city is ~14kmpl

Highway Mode:
- Right knee starts hurting after 200kms of driving (Possible root cause: I am 5.8 height). Even highest seat height adjustment doesn't help here. As a workaround I put a pillow below my thighs. It works like a charm.
- Overtakes and braking are very good. Ghats are a pleasure to drive.
- Fuel economy is typically 18+ kmpl if driven between 80-100kmph
- Gobbles lots of luggage. My close friends Creta envies this.
- Rear seat is a relaxer for both elderly and young on long drives.

In General:
- No major mechanical or any issues so far in my ownership
- Service costs can be controlled a lot by removing unnecessary addons that service advisors add which are not part of service schedule.
- Ingress is easy for all but egress difficult for front passenger if they are on heavier side.
Old 17th February 2021, 13:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Seltos. You will definitely feel the difference in ground clearance as a factor if you get the City. The Seltos is also much fresher and nicer put together than the City (though this is subjective) and has nicer brakes. Paddle shifters lose their charm after a while in my experience.

A good friend bought the City AT top-end with the sunroof about 2 years ago and has been regretting not getting a crossover instead. His previous car was a Vento TSI DSG and he claims that was a much superior driving experience.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 13:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

I am not going into the Seltos VS City or the whole Sedan V/S SUV debate. It is an endless debate and is best for one to find what will suit him/her. Make no mistake both the vehicles are good. As an owner of the 5th Gen City and also from having experienced the Seltos extensively I can say both are close to perfect. Then again no car is completely perfect. While some whine about the lack of focus of Honda on their future in India while others complain about the crash testing of the Seltos, I would say go for a car that appeals to your heart. In the end that is what matters.
Kia Seltos vs Honda City-aspect-ratio-22.png
Quote:
I've booked City VX CVT and I'll be getting the delivery next month
I've opted for lunar Silver colour.
Congrats on your selection Gallardo_17. Even I have the Same shade.
Quote:
Special mention---
I've been inclined to take the city only because of these 2 fellow BHPians
1. BHPian Trackday - His Athena's review is what prompted me to take a look at the city and I can't thank him enough . His review was very nicely detailed and gave me a peek into the ownership experience.
For those who missed my review of the 5th gen City (V)you can catch it here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ty-review.html (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)

You can tell that my review is a bit overboard, when I went as far as getting it compared to the best sedan ever.
Kia Seltos vs Honda City-maybach-n-city.png
TrackDay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 14:31   #43
BHPian

I've experienced the same at a Kia showroom, the sales executive sounded arrogant and not interested in showing us a car. I think higher sales volume has gone into their heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNG19 View Post
The following factors were enough to make me choose the City over the Seltos:

1. The interior of the Seltos felt cramped in comparison. The City has a very spacious front and back seat.

2. The sales people in the KIA showroom were least interested in showing me & my family the car. When one associate finally attended to us, he seemed uninterested. Made me wonder that if this was the service I was going to get before purchasing the product, what would it be like afterwards.

This was a stark contrast to the efforts the Honda people made.

3. The GNCAP crash test on the Seltos. To be fair, the City hasn't been tested yet, but I can't imagine it'll be any worse than how the Seltos performed even if it isn't any better.

4. Real/perceived reliability of Honda and my family's positive experience with their products and their after sales service.
Old 17th February 2021, 14:35   #44
BHPian

I'm in the same boat come April. My employer had(s?) a generous car lease policy with different ex-showroom prices based on lease tenure. I have settled on the 4 years + 14 lakhs max ex-showroom price lease plan. The cars I have in mind in the order of preference are

1. Honda City VX Automatic
2. Hyundai Creta or Kia Seltos Petrol Manual (SX and HTX respectively)
3. Curveball option - Nexon EV, but the base model is too bare bones
4. Maruti XL6 or Ertiga - for the occasional road trip with parents/inlaws
5. If going one lease plan lower, Jazz, Polo or Baleno
6. If going one lease plan higher, Harrier

Right now, I have the same requirements as the original poster -
1. I intend to keep the car for 10 years. So I need something reliable.
2. Predominantly city driven in Bangalore in an area where I foresee road work for the next 2 years (metro, lake rehab and drain construction etc.) - so GC is a bit of bother - primarily when parking in vacant lots with construction debris
3. Preferably automatic, though not an absolute necessity - ties with reliability angle. If it is too much of a hassle to maintain (DCT?), then I'll stick with manual
4. Decently spec'd
Other divergent/contradictory/stupid requirements -
5. I have a pet parrot that has a 2x1.5x1.5 ft cage. So if it is a SUV, a boot space that can fit this cage is good to have but not a must have. I can always get a smaller travel cage. She can travel in the back seat of sedan too.
6. My daughter is the artsy type and in her opinion cars with grumpy or frowning looking eyes and DRL eyebrows are not good. She hates the 'eyes' Creta, ambivalent about City, likes Seltos (and Swift and most Maruti cars) :-)
7. I hate paying taxes more than wanting a new car. This is the primary impetus now.

Based on the responses here, City seems to be the obvious choice.
I don't want to hijack this thread and will create a new thread if something changes between now and April.
sramanat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 14:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
For those who missed my review of the 5th gen City (V)you can catch it here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ty-review.html (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)

You can tell that my review is a bit overboard, when I went as far as getting it compared to the best sedan ever.
Brother your review is the reason I looked at the city in the first place
Gallardo_17 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks