Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which Car should I opt for?
Seltos 84 19.58%
City 345 80.42%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 21:14   #1
BHPian

Kia Seltos vs Honda City

Big Dilemma

So we are on the hunt for our new car since the past 10 months.
I've been given the opportunity to decide and zero down on the car that we're going to drive home . We currently drive a 2008 Lxi WagonR
We intend on keeping the next car for atleast 8-9 years , so the car should be reliable and niggle free. Also the car has to be petrol because of the stupid 10 year diesel rule by NGT.

I've test drove numerous cars and I've zeroed down on the City 2020 CVT VX and Seltos IVT HTX

Our budget is strictly Under 16 lakhs and our daily running with the car would be around 60-70 kms within the city hence the car should be automatic. No compromise on this front sadly. It will be 90% city driven with occasional highway drives once 2-3 months.
It will be my daily driver to law school and coaching institution hence I want something that is very comfy and has enough power so that I can have fun on the rough days to cheer me up !!

I took the test drive of the following cars and put them off the table because of the reasons mentioned below

1. Polo - Amazing drive and engine but lacks the space

2. Rapid and Vento- Amazing Engine and Handling but lack of basic features such as keyless entry spoil the mood. My mom wants a car with sunroof and she's adamant about it even after me explaining to her numerous times that its of no use in Delhi's hot weather. Both the cars don't get sunroof even in top trims

3. Verna - Fun to drive and the DCT Gearbox is quick shifting and very fun but sadly the rear seat lacks space and I don't like the design at all.

5. Creta- I hate the looks and the IVT Variant is way over budget

6. Ecosport - Lovely to drive but the car seems very old compared to 2021 standards . The car I test drove had rattling noises and it bothered me a lot .

7. Venue and Sonet - The Koreans are featured packed and come with nice Turbo engines but the lack of space is a real bummer

8. XUV 300- Very nice to drive and has a good punch even in petrol but sadly the rear looks very hatchback to me

I know that I've rejected some of these cars for petty reasons but the cars simply didn't touch a chord for me I didn't look back at any of these cars after the test drive unlike the City and Seltos. I feel that the next car we buy should be a car which makes us look back and admire it's sheer beauty. These cars in their own rights are very good and I might be nitpicking but I feel that City and Seltos drive home to the heart a lot more than others for me

Now coming to the Big Dilemma

1. Seltos-

Intro-The looks are stellar, the space is adequate and the features are aplenty. I've no reason to disregard this car apart from the fact that it's NOT A CITY. A couple of things that bother me alot are the paddle shifters and drive modes which are not there in the Seltos but are there in the city. I used both of these features quite extensivly while test driving the City and I missed them when I test drove the Seltos. Yes, the manual mode is there but its not the like the little devils found on the city's steering that help you downshift and go rampant. The space is less than city and the suspension feels very stiff. My dad says what's the point of getting an SUV if I'm going to feel every bump on the road, idk if I agree with him but it's a point to ponder upon.

Safety- The car scored poorly in the GNCAP ratings, it barely managed to get 3 stars. The car doesn't have Hill hold assist , Vehicle stability management or Electronic Stability Control. The car only comes with 2 airbags .( I've read reports that these features will be added by the next update in July with the logo change but the authenticity of these reports is still in the air and the fact is that as of today the car which costs almost 17 lacks on road has only 2 airbags and lacks basic features).

Driving- The Combo is smooth and doesn't feel underpowered at all. The shifts are smooth and feels relaxed. The car stops in a nice manner . It has all wheel discs and the breaking is excellent. The car feels stable till 110 Kmph and I didn't push it further. The steering inspired confidence and weighs up nicely. The drive is sedate but there is no wow factor as such . After driving for an hour the feul economy it showed was 11.9

Dealership Experience-The dealership experience has been bang average. I've already booked the car in September yet It took me 1 month to get a home Test Drive for the IVT Transmission. Earlier I was looking at the 1.5 MT but there is literally no way you can get to experience that Gearbox and engine combo in Delhi because literally no dealership has that car for testdrive , I called 7 dealerships and I was disappointed 7 times.

Cost-The Seltos CVT is only available in one variant that is the HTX and it costs 16.80 on road .

2. City 2020

Intro - Looks elegant and feels premium. The car drives like a breeze and puts a smile on my face . The space is alot more than seltos and the car has enough features to keep me happy . The car has low ground clearance and idk if it will be an issue in Delhi or not . I've seen 3-4 vids on YouTube which show that 4-5 month old new generation citys have started having niggles and wierd rattling noises this scares me alot because I intend to keep the car for a long time hence the car should be sturdy and safe . The seltos doesn't have videos or owners complaining about the same. The future of Honda seems a bit grey ,they've discontinued both Civic and CRV for now and Honda's plans for India dont seem encouraging. The car has a significantly inferior touch screen and speakers compared to the Seltos. The Vx variant doesn't get Leatherette seats unlike the Seltos which has leatherette seats . The City's VX variant gets fabric seats.

Safety- The Trim gets 6 Airbags and has Hill hold assist , VSM and ESC. It doesn't have all wheel discs like the Seltos . The new city has scored 5 stars in the ASEAN NCAP. This rating is for the Thailand version which is quite similar to the Indian one . Still as of now the Indian version hasn't been tested by NCAP.

Driving- It Drives very amazingly well. I know it's not anywhere close to the Manual but the engine is punchy for its standards. It's not as refined as the Seltos and the NVH levels are not so good after 3000 rpm but that sound is so sporty and melodious to my ears , it sounds like pure magic . The paddle shifters are very fun to use and make for an exciting driving experience. The car is comfortable and very easy to drive. I haven't faced uses with low ground clearance but the car handles the potholes well . The ride quality is nice and comfy. After 100 Kmph the car doesn't inspire as much confidence as the Seltos and feels wobbly, the rear end seems to be moving like a boat and the steering seems a bit more cumbersome than the Seltos. The city is a car which puts a smile on my face as soon as I see an empty road and makes me want to downshift and race to glory. It has a sports mode which is average but offers an nice upgrade over the Natural D mode. It holds the revs but sadly downshifts on its own . The CVT seems to Dull the fun a bit but offers a seamless and hassle free experience. It also has a Eco mode which although dulls the punch but gives a nice bump to feul economy . With the eco mode i could get a feul economy upto 15.5 although without this mode the economy was averaging around 12.5-14 for the whole drive. The car seems eager and tries to mask the CVT effect but you can notice it if you go looking. All in all the car did put a smile on my face and I just want to keep on driving it on and on.

Dealership experience- The experience was good and I was attended very well . I've contacted 6 dealerships and got test-drives of 30 mins+ from each of them and I've also got quotes from each of them , unlike Kia, the Honda dealerships are giving discounts and I was promised good deals on the accessories. The Korean refused even a single penny of discount. I was given test drives promptly and I was taken care of very nicely. The experience so far has been very satisfying. My cousin told me to take the city now and gift myself with a civic in a few years time when i clear my dream exam.
Seems like a good upgrade for me , it also gives me more motivation xd

TDLR----The Dilemma

As you probably know I'm a bit inclined to the city but here are the reasons which confuse me , I want to know whether I should bother about these issues or just go ahead with the purchase of City

1. Low GC
2. Honda's future
3. Long term reliability
4. Ride quality
5. Fabric seats vs leather
6. SUV stance
7. Gorgeous looks of the Seltos
(Mom love the Seltos) (Dad loves both)

Special mention---
I've been inclined to take the city only because of these 2 fellow BHPians
1. BHPian Trackday - His Athena's review is what prompted me to take a look at the city and I can't thank him enough . His review was very nicely detailed and gave me a peek into the ownership experience.

2. BHPian Born to Be Wild - His Red City looks Absolutely Stunning and dashing. His tyres looks stunning and have me drooling every time I look at them. He has maintained his Car very well indeed!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2021 at 18:44. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
Gallardo_17 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 21:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Kia Seltos vs Honda City

Go for the City eyes closed. The Seltos is a great car, but the City is the one for comfort. Upsize the tyres right after delivery and you'll have a great handling too. The City also hold better in the rear Legroom department and Honda's CVTs are usually better than the Kia ones.

Happy Shopping!
akash_v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 21:56   #3
BHPian

The Honda CVT comes with a tiny torque converter to overcome the rubber band effect. Read this article for a better understanding:

https://www.carlist.my/news/a-look-a...r-59988/59988/
pradkumar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 22:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

IMHO The City make tick the box as a good package but I have driven the new CVT and like every other CVT, it’s boring. I understand your reasons around features for rejecting the Vento/Rapid TSis but do consider the Rapid TSi AT with 4 airbags. 4-5 years down the lane, the features won’t mean anything and you can have a plethora of features activated/added to VAGs through VCDS. The turbo petrol + torque converter is an amazing combination and in the future one remap later you will be grinning everyday. A good engine + gearbox combination, a well balanced suspension & good build quality is something you should focus on. Seltos is best avoided.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 22:40   #5
anb
BHPian

CVTs are never fun to drive. Ignore both cars and get Rapid Automatic with four airbags. For the remaining amount install sunroof, remap the tsi, upgrade brakes to bbk and change suspension to bilstein b6. My friend has been using a Polo with after market sunroof for 5 years. He clocked more than 1 lakh km and has no issues with it.

Last edited by anb : 13th February 2021 at 22:51.
anb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 22:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
2. Honda's future
I want to comment only on this point. For people who are painting doubts on Honda's future I would say do not worry. Just the Amaze sells more per month than entire Skoda and VW Group put together. Why would anyone think Honda will shut shop?

They are just damn slow and will bring an SUV at their own sweet pace. Until then they will continue with their existing offerings even as the world around them moves on.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th February 2021 at 22:49.
vsrivatsa is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 23:07   #7
BHPian

I say wait for the new entrants from VW and Skoda. Both of them look promising and should wait for them if you don't have to buy your new car immediately.

The new City CVT is boring to drive and multiple niggles have been reported. Honda, once known as a pinnacle of quality, has sadly reduced their quality in recent years.

Seltos HTX variant's lack of safety features in that price bracket and poor crash rating is a big turn off. As long as you aren't hard bent on it, you should avoid it.
Col Mehta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 23:45   #8
BHPian

The following factors were enough to make me choose the City over the Seltos:

1. The interior of the Seltos felt cramped in comparison. The City has a very spacious front and back seat.

2. The sales people in the KIA showroom were least interested in showing me & my family the car. When one associate finally attended to us, he seemed uninterested. Made me wonder that if this was the service I was going to get before purchasing the product, what would it be like afterwards.

This was a stark contrast to the efforts the Honda people made.

3. The GNCAP crash test on the Seltos. To be fair, the City hasn't been tested yet, but I can't imagine it'll be any worse than how the Seltos performed even if it isn't any better.

4. Real/perceived reliability of Honda and my family's positive experience with their products and their after sales service.
GNG19 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 00:08   #9
BHPian

If you are ok with Skoda/VW for the associated uncertainties and hopeful that they are going to improve in future, I will advise to wait till Kushaq/Taigun roll out. With the legacy that these brands have, it is safe to assume that the product will be well rounded one from features, safety and driving experience. You are going to keep the car for a decade, so it's worth waiting for an additional option.

However, if you are wary of Skoda/VW as a brand and after sales service along with peace of mind is one of the priorities, it's city all the way since Kia ain't behaving like a saint either in today's times with all the success they have had.

It's a leap of faith with Skoda/VW for folks like us who come from the world of Marutis.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 01:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

For the same $$$, you'll generally get more value of a sedan than a crossover (or SUV you'd like to call it.)

I think sedans have to be really good to sell in today's market. Going by what you said, I think you should go for the City if your parents are comfortable with the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
2. City 2020

Safety- The Trim gets 6 Airbags and has Hill hold assist , VSM and ESC. It doesn't have all wheel discs like the Seltos....

Driving- ...All in all the car did put a smile on my face and I just want to keep on driving it on and on .
IMHO, these two points seal the deal for me. With regards to crash test, I'd put my money on Honda rather than Kia or Hyundai.
Quote:
1. Low GC
I don't think this is too much of a worry unless you own a farm in a remote area and need to visit it often.

Honda's GC has been acceptable in the 4th gen, and I expect it to be the same in the 5th gen as well.
Quote:
2. Honda's future
3. Long term reliability
No need to worry about these for the Honda City. Even Civic owners get parts easily today.

Also, parts rarely break on Hondas.
landcruiser123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 03:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

You have got 60-70 kms daily running which you want to do in a petrol automatic. For that reason alone (and for now I am sticking to your two vehicle shortlist) I would imagine the City might be the better bet. Hondas are not as well put together the last 8-9 years as they were in the early 2000s but since you’re comparing with the Koreans I don’t think that should be a deal breaker.

Within these two I would suggest the City. It is a genuinely lovely car. Also, I am not sure a DCT from Koreans is something I would have the confidence to buy. I too swear by paddle shifters so even that is a bonus in the City. In your shoes, if I had to make this choice, I would have migrated to the Creta for this reason alone (also, the Creta allows the option of the TC automatic instead of DCT, which I think the Seltos doesn’t.)

Now coming to “better” offerings - do wait for the Kushaq and do consider the Rapid too despite everything (recognizing though that a significant generation update is round the corner for Rapid). The 1.5 / 1.0 TSI engines should give a lovely driving experience and any Skoda should feel more solidly engineered (specially for 8-10 year ownership horizons) than a City or Seltos. That is just my perception.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 07:35   #12
BANNED

I will share my experience with you. I own a 4th generation Honda City ivtec MT (yes, the one which is rated very low in quality in our forum), covered almost 1 lakh kms, and no issues faced till now. Rattles which ever have occurred, I am able to fix those. Also I have Pioneer + Rainbow component speakers + Rainbow subwoofer set up (it's a heavenly audio experience). After audio upgrade I am used to regular leisure drives just to experience the audio set up.

Last November I test drove Skoda Rapid TSI MT, and new Honda City ivtec. I instantly fell in love with the engine and driving dynamics of Rapid and bought one Monte Carlo during December. Covered almost 3000 kms now and am loving every drives I have in the Rapid. At times I feel I am missing the audio experience in Honda City, and decide to take it for upcoming drives, but but but.. When the actual drive comes up, I just pick the keys of Rapid. Please note I was a sucker for NA engine especially ivtec, but turbo engine experience is transforming me very much lately.

So my suggestion would be to select the one car whose drive made you smile (think with heart), because features will fade out after some time, but the real thing that will be with you after every drive would be the driving experience.

Note : if your next question is what is next best after Rapid, I would say go for City.

Last edited by pavi : 14th February 2021 at 07:47.
pavi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 12:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Unless you have old people using the car regularly that require easy ingress/egress, please do yourself and other road users a favor by going for the City and not a Seltos. You have no idea how much I end up cursing people driving around with no passengers in a pseudo SUV.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 16:28   #14

I own the City V Mt version and absolutely love the machine. There is ample space and good driving comfort. Never really faced any issue with the ground clearance.
If you are an enthusiast, just upgrade the tyres and you are good to go.
Small niggles are the not so great touch screen system, but gets the job done. I don't find any issue with it. Suspension is on the softer side.Havent faced any rattling issue with three months of use.
R2_d2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 22:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Unless you have old people using the car regularly that require easy ingress/egress, please do yourself and other road users a favor by going for the City and not a Seltos. You have no idea how much I end up cursing people driving around with no passengers in a pseudo SUV.
Just curious as to why?

City is longer and takes up more space on the road, consume the same amount of fuel as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed