Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Car should I opt for?
Seltos 84 19.58%
City 345 80.42%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 15:12   #46
VVN
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos vs Honda City

I own the much loved (Sarcasm) 4th Gen City. Not promoting Honda but between the City and the Seltos, you just cannot go wrong with the City. I did think of adding Seltos in my garage last year but I decided to wait a bit longer and boy, it was one hell of a decision. I must have TD'd the Seltos around 15 times in different cities (Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Dehradun) and my opinion just kept going south. I did a similar TD with the City 3 years ago when I was in the market and it was a tight contest between the Verna and the City.

I have been driving the 4th Gen for 3 years now. Bought it in Bangalore, drove to Mumbai where I stayed for close to 2 years before the lockdown came in and I had to stay at home. Changed jobs which brought me to Gurgaon but because the lockdown was still on, I moved to Dehradun. The City has seen multiple cities and not once has it felt that it'd fail me anywhere. Sure I get frustrated with the rattles but they are fixable with no additional cost. On the other hand, I have never encountered issues with the GC (Except Bangalore). I did have reservations about Hondas future in India and still do. But would I go back and change my decision of buying this machine? No chance. I love it and it's staying with me for another 7-8 years.

You mentioned that 90% of your driving will be within City limits. This alone should make you opt for the CVT. Members have rightfully pointed out that the CVT is boring compared to what VW and Skoda offers but you won't enjoy the DCT or TC in peak hour traffic. Pretty sure you can make do with the CVT when the 10% highway drive comes into play.

All the best with your decision. If not the City, do consider waiting for the new upcoming offerings from VW and Skoda. Looks like they may be worth it.
VVN is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 15:15   #47
BHPian

My dad has a 2008 Honda City. 48 k clocked so far and even now when I compare it with my Creta 1.6 Petrol the Honda has a peppier and quieter engine.
When it comes to NA engines nothing beats iVTEC.Hands Down.
Having said that the build quality with Hondas is not that great.
Selltos has a better build.
Artyom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 15:51   #48
BHPian

Just came across this thread, my 2 cents
Now since you have asked between the seltos and the city i will keep it very straightforward and answer the question in the context it was asked without confusing you further and pointing you in 10 other directions with other options.

I have both the city as well as the seltos however the seltos is the Htk plus manual petrol which was roughly about 13.5 otr. Whereas the city is the zx cvt as you know which is 16.5ish otr.

Out of the 2 cars if i was asked which one i would want to drive everyday in a city like delhi i would drive the city each time, although one might say that its an incorrect comparison as the seltos is a manual i would pick the city for convinience so i will leave out the gearbox out of the equation and in my opinion and experience point out why i voted for the city.

1. I love the interiors of the city over the seltos it feels far better to me

2. Space in both is almost same , however i feel legroom is a tad better in the city compared to the seltos

3. I love the LEd headlights on the zx , i mean they light up the road like a chistmas tree period!

4. The thing that takes the cake is i feel the city handles far better then the seltos the steering feedback i get from it is far superior then the seltos, The feel of the steering is precise at almost every speed inspires tonnes of confidence.

5. The free revving nature of the N/A engine on the city is fantastic it revvs like there is no tommorow i have a daily commute of 100km i so look forward to my eary morning drive to work its awesome on the open road.

6. Fuel efficency of the seltos is about 14 approx the city is consistently giving me 15.5-16 till now no ac usage in either.

7. The GC of the seltos is higher however unless you plan to use it on roads which are in a bad shape or pothole riden i guess the city can handle most roads with ease

Parting pics of both the contenders
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos vs Honda City-bcb8042dc50449a6ac2bb01f3d0d2b5d.jpeg  

Kia Seltos vs Honda City-08296984798846b89746bf548cadd623.jpeg  

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 17th February 2021 at 15:59.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 17:38   #49
BHPian

Honda City, period. If for nothing else other than to wave a flag for the last bastion of mass-market sedans to grace our shores
Sudarshan42 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 17:49   #50
BHPian

Honda City. Any day, would suggest a car with 6 airbags.

Get one before the sedans get completely wiped off from the arena and no further models/variants exists

City CVT is boring and does not allow free revving like the manual, but the same would be the case for seltos. This does not hinder you as I see you liked both cars drive.

As an alternate, wait for MG ZS/Astor petrol OR Skoda kushaq to get in to SUV world right away
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 18:07   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
The white lettering on the tyres, especially on the white Seltos, looks dope !!
rhsakarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 18:56   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post

5. i have a daily commute of 100km i so look forward to my eary morning drive to work its awesome on the open road.

6. Fuel efficency of the seltos is about 14 approx the city is consistently giving me 15.5-16 till now no ac usage in either.

Both the cars look awesome with those tyres!!
Did you consider any diesel automatic if your daily commute is 100km? Or is it the NCR NGT 10 year rule that forced you to opt for Petrol?

Superb fuel efficiency for CVT - my guess is majority of your 100km.commute is Highway, right?
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 19:42   #53
BHPian

Not sure about Seltos, but Honda brand is a no go for me. ASS is average. Last generation city a lot of rattling problems. No acoustic steps taken by Honda. Feel every bump. Overall plastic quality bad. Music system not working and no replacement for 2 months now.

Service interval every 6 months add to cost. Not a very reassuring ride. Try Yaris for a better CVT. Rear space a bit of compromise.

Would never recommend a Honda after using their last 2 generations of city.

Lastly A/c is very ineffective for Delhi Summers
samitjain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 19:50   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

No contest here for me.

The City anyday over any compact SUV/crossover. City is way more spacious, feels much premium inside, seats are accommodating and the ride quality is top notch.

When it comes to driving pleasure, i trust good old physics- lower CoG and aerodynamic drag.

Seltos is cramped in comparison, seats are smaller, the barely 3 star rating and atrocious price tag doesnt make sense to me.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 20:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Both the cars look awesome with those tyres!!
Did you consider any diesel automatic if your daily commute is 100km?

Superb fuel efficiency for CVT - my guess is majority of your 100km.commute is Highway, right?
Sir have 2 diesel trucks as well but they are a pain in back to back traffic both are remapped torpedos as my tbhp handle suggests i am a little wild but now the city has me a little subtle

Shot of one of the trucks
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos vs Honda City-336ad8b68fac420e8597c9dee3cbdc9e.jpeg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:34   #56
BHPian

I own a Seltos, though Diesel AT top end. For the budget, I’d definitely go for City. You get much better safety and feature set; whole lot more drive comfort on both rows of seats and better mileage and transmission. While Seltos looks nice, City looks elegant (well, subjective opinion). Only pain points I could see are length and inability to carry longer stuff like kids cycles
vsbabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 23:22   #57
BHPian

Go for the city eyes closed ! Nothing will create a style statement as much as a city. City feels premium, is premium and people RESPECT the city. It’s called the poor man’s bmw for a reason

The difference between the GC of both the cars is only about 2-2.5 cms, which I think is not an issue. And the roads nowadays are good in most of the places so I don’t think so you should worry about the GC.

Honda banks on the city in India. It’s future may not look bright right now, but the city and amaze sell in good numbers even today and Honda is now planning to enter the popular SUV bracket soon.

Honda city has set a benchmark in being reliable. The car has been for about 2 decades now and it has proven how reliable it is ! And the ride quality is good too.
For leather seats, as you intend to keep your car for a long period, do not forget that the leather will eventually wear off, so I guess you might require seat covers in the future, in that case fabric seats are better.
And for the suv stance, in the crowd of so-called SUVs you’ll have a niche and unique product if you go for the city. City will fetch you the respect. Everybody owns a seltos now I must say, that’s become too common. Go for the city. You won’t regret it trust me
NarediAni7518 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 00:33   #58
BHPian

I have always admired honda cars in the last two decades. Many globally feel Accord scores higher on reliability over corollas & camrys. My love for hondas died with the present gen city. Quality and premium feel has disappeared. I know many civic owners who are disappointed with what honda offers to us today. Seltos on the other hand has plenty to offer. Neither of the two are my choices to buy for 20L but i will pick seltos over city. Its more practical and the sheer numbers sold will keep car and company for many years on road.

How much excitement did civic generate when they launched about year or two ago. I dont even have a image of what it looks like in my mind.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 00:39   #59
BHPian

It's a no brainer , go for the City. When it comes to the fundamentals of the mechanicals, Honda always nails it (For the most part). First of all , the Seltos is plagued with various issues like sketchy overheating dct slush boxes, braking issues as well as premature fuel pump failures on certain brand new diesel vehicles. Also the City is a way better looking car and is bigger and more spacious than the seltos. It also handles way better being a sedan and lower to the ground. Kia really need to get their ducks in a row in India. Also factoring in the crash test ratings , the City would be a better bet. Heck I'd rate the City as 50 percent more reliable than my Civic with upto 85 percent of the value offered by its larger sibling.
Old 18th February 2021, 01:27   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
Big Dilemma

So we are on the hunt for our new car since the past 10 months.
I've been given the opportunity to decide and zero down on the car that we're going to drive home . We currently drive a 2008 Lxi WagonR
We intend on keeping the next car for atleast 8-9 years , so the car should be reliable and niggle free. Also the car has to be petrol because of the stupid 10 year diesel rule by NGT.

2. BHPian Born to Be Wild - His Red City looks Absolutely Stunning and dashing. His tyres looks stunning and have me drooling every time I look at them. He has maintained his Car very well indeed!

Hello,
I’d suggest you Honda City right away when compared to Seltos 1.5L IVT because
firstly, the 1.5L petrol engine feels underpowered usually when compared to cars of that budget. Especially 1.5L engine paired to the IVT gearbox can really make you regret not buying the City.
Secondly,
Comfort. I myself own a 2016 Honda City VX i-dtec apart from the engine noise in the cabin the car is very comfortable on highways and city too. I’ve also sat in the latest Gen Honda City, I feel the comfort hasn’t gone anywhere.
Gearbox,
Honda’s CVT gearboxes are pretty known and with the paddle shifters its a bliss.

If your budget can be extended for a 1.4 DCT, then buy it eyes closed. Or else my suggestion is Honda City

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks