Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 01:16   #1
BHPian

Which automatic turbo-petrol car for my 82-year old father?

This car is for my dad. He is 82 years old and still drives for short distances. For long distances, he does have a driver. Ok, a confession: this car would also be for me when I come to visit him in India

He currently drives a Ford Figo 1.5L with DCT but it was involved in an accident, so we are looking for a replacement car. I like the Turbos for their low end torque, something that I found lacking even in the relatively large 1.5L Figo. The automatic just makes it easier for my dad to continue driving. I want him to continue to be as active as far into his twilight years as possible.

It looks like there are only two models that meet this requirement: The VW Polo TSI Automatic and the Hyundai i20 Turbo. I understand that the latter is more expensive, but has more space and a lot more gadgets. Price while a factor is not the driver in my decision. As everyone knows, the Polo is very old school, but timeless (I happen to own a VW Golf myself). Space is not really a concern as the car is hardly ever loaded with people and is not really used for long distance travel. However, I do have concerns that the Polo does not have a rear view camera. Can something like that be installed as an aftermarket addon? Another concern I have is that the lighting used on the Polo are reflectors rather than projectors. While my dad does not drive at night, I do find driving at night in India a big challenge, either due to people driving with their high beams, or because of unsafe road conditions (like open man hole covers!). Hence based on these options, I am thinking the i20 Turbo may be a better option.

Finally, am I wrong to restrict myself to hatchbacks? Are there good Turbo mini-SUVs around? My dad prefers hatchbacks as it is easier to find parking for a small car. I would think the same may also apply to small SUVs.

To conclude, I would appreciate your thoughts on:
1) Hyundai i20 Turbo Auto vs VW Polo TSI Auto vs ???? (Petrol only)
2) Small SUV options with a good Petrol Turbo automatic

Thank you!
goacom is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 01:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which automatic turbo-petrol car for my 82-year old father?

Do check out the Nissan Magnite too. As far as I know It comes with a Turbo as well as a CVT. I believe the vehicle should be easy for ingress/egress too. Since your abroad, the connected tech can also help you monitor the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
I like the Turbos for their low end torque, something that I found lacking even in the relatively large 1.5L Figo. The automatic just makes it easier for my dad to continue driving.
CVT comes with Hill hold I believe which would make it super convenient for him.
Quote:
Price while a factor is not the driver in my decision.
However, I do have concerns that the Polo does not have a rear view camera. Can something like that be installed as an aftermarket addon?
Why stop at a rear view Cam when You can get a “Around View Monitor” 360-degree camera system.
Quote:
Another concern I have is that the lighting used on the Polo are reflectors rather than projectors. While my dad does not drive at night, I do find driving at night in India a big challenge, either due to people driving with their high beams, or because of unsafe road conditions (like open man hole covers!).
You get the LED bi-projector headlights on the Magnite.
Quote:
Finally, am I wrong to restrict myself to hatchbacks? Are there good Turbo mini-SUVs around? My dad prefers hatchbacks as it is easier to find parking for a small car. I would think the same may also apply to small SUVs.
a good Petrol Turbo automatic
Do check out the Magnite. I feel it ticks all the boxes.
TrackDay is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 02:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'd ask him to check out the Vitara Brezza 1.5 with 4AT. Being a little taller as an SUV, ingress & egress will be easier. It'll also be more reliable & easy to maintain compared to the other 2 cars.

Between the Polo and i20, I'd pick the i20 as Hyundai service is more easily accessible.
landcruiser123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 02:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Do check out the Nissan Magnite too. As far as I know It comes with a Turbo as well as a CVT. I believe the vehicle should be easy for ingress/egress too. Since your abroad, the connected tech can also help you monitor the car.
Thank you Trackday. I was not aware of this. What is the wait time like for this vehicle?
goacom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 08:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help me choose an Automatic Turbo Petrol Hatch

Quote:
Thank you Trackday. I was not aware of this. What is the wait time like for this vehicle?
I don't have any direct experience, but the demand currently is good and I recall reading even 3 months while some have got their cars in a lesser time. It might be better to check with the dealers in your home town. Do check out the Renault Kiger too as both are basically the same.

Team-Bhp Magnite review
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...te-review.html (Nissan Magnite Review)

Kiger link
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5006750 (Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19)

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...974519406.html

Sorry couldn't find any English comparison videos:
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 08:07   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which automatic turbo-petrol car for my 82-year old father?

First off, kudos to the man for driving at 82 . Keeping his age in mind, you must definitely get a crossover. Primary reasons = easier ingress / egress, higher seating position & better visibility. Plus, let the old man cruise around in style . Crossovers are definitely more stylish than your average hatchback.

Would strongly recommend the Sonet which is a top pick in the segment. Also check out the Venue. Won't recommend the EcoSport as its still got a firm suspension which your Dad might not appreciate, Vitara Brezza (too old) or the Nexon & XUV300 due to the lack of a proper AT (AMTs are too jerky for my tastes).

If value-for-money is an important consideration, go for the Kiger CVT over the Magnite. Same car, better ride quality & better dealers (Nissan dealers are rogues or thugs or both).
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 08:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

For the requirements at the age of 82 years, peaceful driving and easy parking is of utmost importance.

The reflexes would be limited and cannot be compared with 40 or 50 years aged driver(I am sorry but this is reality)

I would suggest to go with i20 or even i10, a small car which is powerful, spacious and ideal for city drives because of easy maneavours and ease of parking.

Secondly, service network also matters because the regular user cannot rely on a distant service center every time the car needs attention. Hence would not suggest VW Polo.

Last but not least is, getting inside and out of car may be difficult if the height is too low Or too high. So, going for a SUV may not help

The limitations of my suggestion is, it may not be that powerful as compared to other cars suggested. But, again, since the regular user is aged, this may not be high priority requirement in my view.

Last edited by gkveda : 25th February 2021 at 08:10.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 08:49   #8
BHPian

Contrary to everyone’s suggestions I would say avoid a turbo. You mentioned it will be for short trips and a turbo isn’t the best option for this. Your dad will need to remember to idle it every time and for someone his age to learn a new driving habit isn’t easy. Then there’s the added complexity that a turbo adds on in terms of repairs. Lastly, wouldn’t he prefer smooth linear acceleration over a sudden kick? My vote is for a smooth, refined NA engine.
Iyencar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 09:00   #9
BHPian

I would say,
Turbo-charged options
1. VW Polo TC
2. Hyundai Venue DCT
3. Nissan Magnite CVT / Renault Kiger CVT

NA engine options
1. Ford Ecosport TC
2. Honda Jazz CVT

The best option for your father would be to check out these cars and how they compare in terms of ingress/egress and ride comfort. I have included both engine types because there are still some worthy NA cars out there that are perfect for city use.
Shiftlock is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 09:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats to your Dad on continuing to drive at age 82- he's quite the inspiration!

As someone who has owned a VW (Vento) for a decade, here's my point of view on why the Polo may NOT be the most suitable choice for him:
- Dealer availability and cost of maintenance are issues. He will be much happier with a Maruti/Hyundai/Renault
- The Polo is a low-slung vehicle and ingress/issue is an issue. My parents (both in their 80s) thank me immensely for getting the Kia Seltos which being a crossover offers much easier access. Even my old Swift was better than the VW in this regard.
- Headlights on the VW are not satisfactory at all. I am about half your Dad's age and prefer not to drive my Vento at night!

I am with the popular vote on this: get a Renault Kiger over either the Polo or i20. You could also consider other sub-4m crossovers like the Maruti Brezza, XUV300 or Ford Ecosport.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:20   #11
BHPian

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate it, as I am not (or no longer) able to keep up with the auto scene in India (I come from the days of Ambassador vs Padmini vs Standard

I will of course leave it up to my dad to decide based on what he specifically prefers, but I am coming up with the following list for him. I would appreciate your opinions on this list. Any more to add?

1) VW Polo TSI Automatic
Pro: Solid build, good handling, small size, dealership minutes from the house, good safety rating
Con: expensive for what you get, no rear view mirror, may be harder to get in

2) Hyundai Venu/ Kia Sonet
Pro: Solid build, high ride, well equipped, good dealership rep/location
Con: DCT, more expensive
TBD: Safety rating: (no Indian data)

3) Hyundai i20 DCT Turbo
Pro: Good performance, equipment, dealership rep/location
Con: DCT, mediocre safety rating, more expensive
TBD: No Indian safety rating

4) Nissan Magnite/Renault Kiger CVT Turbo
Pro: Good value, equipment, space, height. Nissan has good safety rating (car manufactured in India, tested to Indonesian NCAP rating)
Con: dealership reputation?, built to a price/long term reliability?

Most new Turbos have a nice broad torque band and are no longer peaky and are ideal for relaxed city driving. Also reliability of Turbos is no longer an issue.

Thank you again. I am learning a lot from you folks!
goacom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This car is for my dad. He is 82 years old and still drives for short distances. For long distances, he does have a driver. Ok, a confession: this car would also be for me when I come to visit him in India

I just added a Ciaz 1.5 AT (Alpha) to my kitty, I would recommend you to check it out as well, as it would be primarily driven by your father, it would fit his requirements very well. Being a TC, low end torque is decent and the ride quality is fantastic, hill hold and reversing aids are present too.
PS. Its very frugal.
HEMIOrange is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:28   #13
BHPian

Polo would be too low slung for a person of this age. I20 being costly, falls in the price bracket of sub 4 meter compact SUV's. So it's better to get a sub 4 meter compact SUV like the brezza and EcoSport automatic. EcoSport would also get six airbags and better build quality. The brezza would be a no nonsense easy to live with car. You can also check out the venue or sonet.

One wild card entry could be the ignis alpha in amt option. Getting in and out would be a breeze considering its height and parking would be easy owing to its compact dimensions. The amt is ok for city run-abouts. Gear changes are perceptible but that's ok at the price point, and that 1.2 na engine is still best of the lot. You also get the ease of ownership of a maruti. Led headlights, reverse camera would also help him a lot. I believe you can get good offers on the ignis, as it's not a popular choice among other Maruti's.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 25th February 2021 at 10:33.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:30   #14
Team-BHP Support

You should select between the Kiger CVT or the Venue.

The Sonet is also good but I find the Venue a better proposition in value and interior traditional design.

The Venue will be far more enjoyable to drive with the DCT but the Kiger will have more features to play with.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Would love to know which car he fancies. That should be an important consideration.

There are many fit 80 year olds, we need not automatically assume getting in/out should be the top criteria :-)
androdev is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks