Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 19:21   #61
S15
BANNED

Re: Best car under 6 Lacs for my husband (No Hatchbacks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
The mere existence of the Kwid is a nail in the coffin for the Kiger, which while in isolation looks jazzy but with the Kwid in the picture, it just looks like a well fed sibling.
The mere existence of the Redi-go is a nail in the coffin for the Magnite, which while in isolation looks jazzy but with the Redi-go in the picture, it just looks like a well fed sibling.

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by Aditya : 5th April 2021 at 08:09. Reason: Personal attack
S15 is offline   (7) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th April 2021, 20:11   #62
BHPian

Quote:
]
My husband is finally due for an upgrade from his 2005 Opel Corsa. Though the car still runs fine, and has a sweet 1.4 Litre petrol mill and neither has it had any major repair bills, yet it's crossed the 15 year mark and he needs a new set of wheels.

1. Nissan Magnite (XE) : This seems like the most logical choice in my opinion, it even has all 4 power windows as well as a great stance. Probably the best that this budget can buy. My husband on the other hand found the clutch heavy and gear shifts too notchy. Also it lacks even a basic stereo. Still if it were me, this would be my pick.

2. Tata Tigor (XE) : My husband loved the design of this car, and preferred the clutch gear combo to that of the Magnite, it also lacks a stereo, but he loved the overall silhouette of the car. The dealership experience was another concern altogether but will not digress

Thanks,
Kaur
Ma'am keeping in mind your perquisites, I would strongly suggest you go for the base variant of the Magnite, it's comparatively not as barebones as one would imagine. The only thing missing seems to be a stereo, which I guess can be fitted even by the Nissan folks as an accessory.

I have driven the Naturally aspirated magnite, and while it feels slightly underpowered, it doesn't seem that bad unless you're flooring the pedal. Though I agree the gearbox isn't the smoothest out there but given the two choices, the magnite should be the one to get.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by ajmat : 4th April 2021 at 22:27. Reason: edited quoted post
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 20:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Ma'am keeping in mind your perquisites, I would strongly suggest you go for the base variant of the Magnite, it's comparatively not as barebones as one would imagine. The only thing missing seems to be a stereo, which I guess can be fitted even by the Nissan folks as an accessory.

I have driven the Naturally aspirated magnite, and while it feels slightly underpowered, it doesn't seem that bad unless you're flooring the pedal. Though I agree the gearbox isn't the smoothest out there but given the two choices, the magnite should be the one to get.

Good luck with your search.
Thank You for your insight, even I would prefer the Magnite over the tigor but the heavy clutch is a real issue for my husband. I will try to convince him for another test drive of the Magnite.

Kaur
Old 4th April 2021, 21:10   #64
AYP
Senior - BHPian

You should have a look at the Ignis Delta. Yes, it is priced 20k more than the Magnite XE, but it has discounts of 20-30k prevailing throughout the year.

It gets a superior K12 engine as compared to the Tigor and the Magnite and has decent features like steering mounted controls, Bluetooth enabled stereo etc. So even if, let's say you end up spending more on the Ignis, in the long run, you will still be saving money due to the presence of these extra features.

Considering your strong inclination towards SUV(from the Octavia launch thread), the Ignis(SUVish hatchback with high ground clearance) shall be a nice middle ground between the Magnite(SUV) and the Tigor(sedan) for your husband.

Last edited by AYP : 4th April 2021 at 21:11.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 21:25   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
You should have a look at the Ignis Delta. Yes, it is priced 20k more than the Magnite XE, but it has discounts of 20-30k prevailing throughout the year.
Yes I agree! Ignis is a looker and a very nicely put together car. It's a very good alround package and it fits your requirements perfectly. Magnite too is a good car and the base variant can be considered as it's not totally bare bones!
Happy shopping
911CarerraS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 21:26   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
You should have a look at the Ignis Delta....
+1

The (petrol) Ignis is a friendly and fun little car.
My two cents - do keep in mind though, the steering is super light and video game-like (read dead). Doesn't return to centre after making a turn either (even the Alto 800 was better in this regard). The wheel twitches quite a bit on bad roads while holding on to- might be just me but it was super annoying and gave me a slight pain in the wrists trying to fight against it.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 10:51   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Keeping that in mind we have the following requirements :

1. Strictly under 6 Lacs On road.
2. Has to be petrol (We live in the NCR)
3. Strictly no hatchbacks, my husband feels a hatchback won't be an upgrade as he is coming from a Sedan.
4. Easy drivability in the city, with a light clutch and power steering.
5. Has to have a decent sized boot.
6. Only new not second hand.
7. Fancy gizmos aren't needed, neither are they wanted, even manual window winders will be fine.
8. No Renault Cars (His Mom had a horrid experience with her Captur, so any Renault car in our household is a big no no) else the Triber and Kiger would have made an appearance below.

1. Nissan Magnite (XE) :

2. Tata Tigor (XE) :

Unfortunately, these are only two cars in India right now that fit our strange set of requirements.
Given how significantly your criteria severely limit your options, I would seriously urge you to reconsider condition 6 - “no used cars”. You seem to keep your cars a long time. Given the above, I would ask you reconsider this requirement.

If you start throwing in less than 2-3 year old cars with (say) less than 20k kms on the ODO, your options will open up to a whole host of additional vehicles.

To my mind, this has the following advantages:

- Expands the model options per se.
- Slightly higher segment car is likely to be slightly plusher straight off the factory floor (he does not like modifying) with perhaps slightly better creature comforts. - It will also allow you access to higher variant levels within these options.
- It may give you options of slightly safer cars.
- It opens up options of automatic transmission should that be desirable.

In this segment, I can think of WR-V (its not an explosive success but yet has Honda pedigree so hopefully you can get a good deal); great compact sedans like Amaze which frankly punch above their weight on comfort; Ecosport, perhaps even Rapid / VW Ameo and any many more I guess.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 17:04   #68
BHPian

Re: A car for my cousin which ticks most boxes | Budget 8.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore

If you are willing to stretch another 70k, you can take a look at Rapid Rider. I'm not suggesting that this is the only option, but its worth test driving it once.
Yes, its a compromise on some of your criteria points but its most value for money than your current options.
Old 30th April 2021, 14:53   #69
BHPian

What car for INR 10L OTR in Mumbai?

Hello all.

I am looking to buy a new car in the next 3-4 months (if the current Covid situation improves). My current ride is a 2010 i20 petrol (Magna variant), which has fulfilled my needs. I am looking to replace this car as it is ageing and lacks certain creature comforts. However, the space and levels of fit and finish offered by the i20 (by 2010 standards) are impressive. Hence, I am looking for a spacious (5- or 7 seater) car driven mostly by me, as our family has regular trips to our second home and we require to carry stuff. My yearly running is approx. 5K to 6K km. My driving style is mostly sedate, so I am not considering a fast, performance-based hatchback or sedan, but overall the new car should be a bit fun to drive (this factor is missing in my i20 because the engine is not enough for the car’s built and weight).

I have listed my basic requirements and some options that I considered after reading initial and ownership reviews on Team-BHP.

Note that I have not test-driven any of the cars mentioned below, but I will test drive them once the Covid situation improves.

Requirements

1. Budget: Max. INR 10L OTR in Mumbai (±25K). Cannot exceed this budget.
2. Fuel: Petrol (and/or CNG if available)
3. Transmission: Preferably automatic (AMT, CVT, TC, etc. My only experience driving automatics is with my cousin’s 2016 Baleno CVT, which I found to be smooth and drove a couple of times. Therefore, please suggest me which type of automatic variant to consider.)
4. Space: Spacious cabin (for 5 people or occasionally 6 people) and boot because of the reasons mentioned earlier.
5. Safety: 2 or more airbags, ABS (which is common in most new cars today), defogger plus rear wash and wipe, and ISOFIX seats (if available)
6. Service centers: Should be reasonably close (I live in North Mumbai) and overall experience should be above average (my overall experience with Hyundai was quite good)
7. Looks and ride quality: Clean looks without too many cuts and creases. Less amount of chrome. A high GC is welcome. Should have a stable ride quality on city roads and highways (either when travelling alone or with passengers). i20's ride quality is so-so.
8. Gizmos and infotainment: I am not techno savvy, so the less number of gadgets or gizmos the better. No wireless charging, no sunroof, and no digital instrument clusters (I prefer analogue clusters. ) However, steering-mounted audio+call controls and a touchscreen infotainment system (with navigation assistance and decent sound output) are welcome.

Options considered

First of all, I am not particularly interested in Hyundai cars, as, from my experience, the costs to maintain Hyundai cars are high as the cars age (service costs in metro cities and spare parts are quite expensive). For this reason, since few years, I have been servicing my i20 at my FNG. In addition, I am not fond of the new design language adopted by Hyundai. Second, I am not considering sedans because of their low-slung seating position (I suffer from occasional low backache) and also I find hatchbacks easy to drive and park. The only sedan I liked because of its high stance was the Maruti SX4, which has sadly been discontinued. However, I am open to consider any sedan (compact or otherwise) with a high seating position.

I did some research on online car portals and found the following cars to match most of my requirements and within my budget. I have listed only the major positives and negatives for each car per my opinion (and no offence is meant to any existing/prospective car owners).

A. Renault Triber: This is the car that meets most of my requirements, and the topmost dual-tone automatic variant is in my budget. Positives: Flexi-seating capability and a large boot when used as a 5-seater car. Good levels of equipment in the 2021 refresh version. Negatives: Underpowered 1L engine (when the car is loaded to its capacity). Nonexistent front and rear bumpers. Also, no experience with Renault’s after sales and service in the immediate family or friend circle.
B. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga: In my current budget (10L OTR in Mumbai), I can afford only the Vxi petrol or CNG version, which lacks some safety features, such as rear defogger and wash, and a good infotainment system. Positives: Spacious for 5 or 7 people and their luggage. Decent 1.5L engine. Presence of a Maruti service center nearby. Negatives: Too big to drive in crowded areas (this is my opinion though and not a negative point). Li-ion battery used in the vehicle is expensive; also, the car requires a minimum of 30 minutes of running per week to charge the battery (as per official Team-BHP review).
C. Tata Nexon: The number and combination of variants are mindboggling, so I haven’t mentioned any particular variant here. Positives: 5* safety. Good front looks. Decent level of equipment. Negatives: Rear looks. Too many variants, which is confusing.
D. Maruti Suzuki Breeza: Positives: Decent looks (except front chrome grill) and equipment. High GC. Negatives: Below-average interiors and quality (A friend of mine who owned the previous version complained that interiors used to rattle like a ‘compass box’, so I don’t know if the quality of interiors has improved in the refreshed version.) Li-ion battery cost and maintenance.
E. Ford Ecosport: This was my dream car when it was launched in 2013. Positives: Good looks. Negatives: Expensive. I can afford only the Trend variant within my budget and it is not that feature rich. Less space for 3 people at the back.

I am particularly inclined towards the Renault Triber, but the negatives listed above make me reconsider my decision. Existing owners please throw light on the car’s performance when it is loaded to its capacity. I would also request fellow BHPians to suggest me other options that I may have missed (even upcoming cars).

@ Moderators: Please merge this post in an appropriate thread if required.

Thanks and stay safe.

Last edited by Mark 5 : 30th April 2021 at 15:15. Reason: Made some formatting changes
Mark 5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 17:53   #70
AZT
BHPian

Re: What car for INR 10L OTR in Mumbai?

Any reason you're not looking at the Magnite or Kiger. The petrol CVT Kiger is ~ 10 OTR in Mumbai and I'd guess similar for the Magnite
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 17:56   #71
BHPian

Hi,

With price restrictions and all your requirements, you are left with very less choice. If 3 row seating is not must, Kiger/Megnite is better option compare to Triber. I have no further suggestions as most of your requirements are subjective and features that are "must" for one can be of no use for the other.

Probably one last comment is to increase budget. Personally I feel car prices are gone up high.

Thanks,
Pradip.

Last edited by pradipk : 30th April 2021 at 17:57. Reason: added Megnite
pradipk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Any reason you're not looking at the Magnite or Kiger. The petrol CVT Kiger is ~ 10 OTR in Mumbai and I'd guess similar for the Magnite
Thanks for the suggestion. I will add Kiger to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hi,

With price restrictions and all your requirements, you are left with very less choice. If 3 row seating is not must, Kiger/Megnite is better option compare to Triber. I have no further suggestions as most of your requirements are subjective and features that are "must" for one can be of no use for the other.

Probably one last comment is to increase budget. Personally I feel car prices are gone up high.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will add Kiger to my list. Unfortunately, I cannot increase the budget beyond 10.5L for some reasons. Three-row seating is considered with the future in mind (increase in the number of family members after marriage ), but it is not mandatory. Also, I agree that the prices of cars in recent years have risen up considerably.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th May 2022 at 10:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 30th April 2021, 18:21   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 5 View Post
Hello all.
Hence, I am looking for a spacious (5- or 7 seater) car driven mostly by me, as our family has regular trips to our second home and we require to carry stuff.

Well, if you need the 7 seats, the Renault Triber and the Maruti Ertiga are the only choice for you.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 18:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Well, if you need the 7 seats, the Renault Triber and the Maruti Ertiga are the only choice for you.
I agree that I do not have many choices regarding my requirement of flexi-seating seating. TUV3OO is another 5+2 seater, but it is available only with a diesel engine. If the test-drives of Triber and Ertiga do not inspire me to go ahead with either of the vehicle, I may forgo my aforementioned requirement.

Last edited by Mark 5 : 30th April 2021 at 18:40.
Old 30th April 2021, 19:01   #75
BHPian

If boot is not a major concern, you can consider Ford Freestyle. Has high GC + 6 airbags will be major plus points here and fits your other requirements too. Plus you can also get a Diesel variant within your budget.
or next in the line will be Maruti Suzuki WagonR top model. But please get to know about the rear seat space.

Amongst the ones in your list, I would not recommend to go with your top choice Triber (shoddy design. low powered, low safety). If rear defogger/ wiper is not an issue, you can cosider Tata Nexon and Ertiga. But I think you can have rear wipers installed aftermarket.

Triber or Magnite has high waiting period I suppose and also their backseat is not comfortable for 3 persons atm as I read from several reviews.
blueshift is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks