Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2021, 09:16   #16
BHPian

Re: A car for my cousin which ticks most boxes | Budget 8.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore

+1 to Amaze. I seriously considered it 2 yrs back. The space packaging is brilliant, cabin is reasonably good through the parts could have been better. I was put off by the glove compartment door which was too flimsy.

Definite NO on the Baleno as you are worried about safety. A few of my neighbors own one and are very disappointed with the build.

The Altroz is one sexy car, esp. in Red. Coming from a wagon R, The Tiago may be too small.

Polo upkeep and maintenance is on the higher side, so do walk in with your eyes open and space at back is poor.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 09:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
I would straight away suggest the Tiago XZ+. It's an excellent VFM package

Also, one of your con is now taken care off ( 6 months service has been updated to 1 year )
Do you have any link regarding the change in service intervals, and would that apply to the Altroz as well, since it shares the same engine. The Tata sales person told me that it was a 6 month service interval for the Tiago/Tigor.
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 10:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP - One may think Jazz is better than a 2003 WagonR on a lot of things and you would be right except the engine. The 1.1 had excellent driveability which the iVtec does not, coupled with the weight of Jazz it's a chore to drive in traffic with MT.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 10:42   #19
BHPian

Update:

Having discussed the list of candidates with my cousin and his wife, we have removed the following cars from the running:

1. Renault Kiger and Nissan Magnite - too new, Nissan's after sales and service is lacking, long waiting period.
2. Honda Jazz - Over the Budget
3. Ford Figo/Freestyle - Didn't like it
4. Maruti Baleno - Light build quality
5. VW Polo - Age of vehicle, cost of ownership, VW's after sales, too low slung

So the remaining candidates are:

1. Tata Tiago - They like the looks, is well priced (XZ for around 7.2 lakhs), is a tried-and-tested product, comes well equipped, and now has a 1 year service interval. What is lacking is the boot space, at 242 litres. They want something which can take two large suitcases. Their wagonR has a capacity of 218 litres, and can take one large suitcase and one cabin baggage trolley

2. Tata Tigor - Basically a Tiago with a large boot, it addresses the one downside of the Tiago in the lack of boot space. However, they find its looks odd, and the XZ Tigor costs 65k more and lacks a Rear Defogger, Android Auto supported stereo, height adjustable drivers seat, and electrically foldable ORVMs.

3. Tata Altroz - XT is over budget, and the XM+ is lacking in features like the rear speakers, dual horn, day/night IRVM, rear defogger and wash wipe. Also, its relative newness goes against it. On the other hand, it has a five star NCAP rating, looks good and has relatively better quality interiors than the Tiago/Tigor, and a large boot.

4. Honda Amaze - Not really preferring a sedan body style, but they liked the Amaze's interiors, large boot and 4 Star Safety Rating, still, its behind the Tatas in current preference.

Having been informed on this thread, I realised they might want a car with a high seating position and clear visibility like that offered by the wagonR. The current wagonR would have been a good upgrade, since it also has a huge 340 litre boot. Sadly, the 2 star NCAP rating ruled it out of contention.

So that got me to checking out the Maruti Ignis. Yes, it is only a 3 star NCAP car, but is other respects, it might actually suit their requirements.

It is relatively tall, has easier ingress than other hatchbacks, a high seating position with good visibility, and a good ground clearance of 180mm. It also is well packaged and is wide (wider than the Tiago/Tigor) and is as wide as the Amaze, and its 260 litre boot, while not as large as the Tigor/Amaze/Altroz, might just be big enough for two large suitcases.

The Ignis Zeta costs 7.2 lakhs including extended warranty less discounts, which puts it competing directly against the Tiago XZ.

Last edited by avi550m : 14th March 2021 at 11:01.
avi550m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 10:49   #20
BHPian

It's great that you have listed out clear requirements. You can suggest tour cousin to check for Renault Triber if space is also a criteria. Ford Aspire can also be considered as it has better boot space. And, of course the Renault-Nisaan twins are an enticing buy if it's AT. Why not try out EcoSport as well(I know it's not in the list but drive one and it might change his mind). You can even consider Tata Nexon as it has all the safety features such as ESP, Traction from the base model itself

Last edited by jithin23 : 14th March 2021 at 11:00.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 10:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
It's great that you have listed out clear requirements. You can suggest tour cousin to check for Renault Driver if space is also a criteria. Ford Aspire can also be considered as it has better boot space. And, of course the Renault-Nisaan twins are an enticing buy if it's AT. Why not try out EcoSport as well(I know it's not in the list but drive one and it might change his mind). You can even consider Tata Nexon as it has all the safety features such as ESP, Traction from the base model itself
Thanks for your suggestions. We have removed some of them due to the following:

1. Ecosport and Nexon - over budget

2. Kiger and Magnite - after-sales, new product niggles, long waiting period

3. Aspire - over budget, plus they didn't like the Figo/Freestyle

4. Renault Triber - not crash tested
avi550m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 11:11   #22
BHPian

As a polo owner since 2016, I would recommend the 1.0L TSI. It'll be fun and he'll thoroughly enjoy revving every bit of it.

I have travelled with 5 people and their luggage on-board, it hardly ever scrapes(just respect the speed breakers). I have driven it through literally a rally stage in the western ghats, because tamini ghat roads were non existent a few years ago, it never scraped.

And once out of warranty there are many plug and play upgrades on offer to keep it spicy throughout the ownership. My mistake was not getting the TSI engine, every other shortcoming is manageable.
A car for my cousin which ticks most boxes | Budget 8.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore-img_20210308_123828.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th March 2021 at 07:46. Reason: Typo
Beerus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 11:13   #23
BHPian

I would suggest that you take a close look at the Altroz i-Turbo. I believe it is a perfect match for your requirements. The i-Turbo variant seems to have addressed the power deficiency issues, which have so-far been the petrol Altroz's Achilles-heel. And also, please don't let a few hours' worth of so-so pre-sales experience be a deciding factor in your purchase, the product matters a lot more!

The i-Turbo XT variant might be available for a slight stretch, and I believe it is well worth it.

Top-notch safety - check!
Space / Practicality - check!
Performance - check!

And do I need to even tell you how it looks!
ram.iyer95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 11:43   #24
BHPian

First of all a big thanks for the query ' in detail '.

If in any case, you are evaluating the POLO & Altroz (i-turbo), I recommend picking Altroz over the POLO in this day and age. Yes POLO might be having a slight advantage over the Altroz in terms of Performance, other than that it's Altroz hands down against the POLO. It's modern, feature-loaded, safe, spacious, good looking and the Engine is a tried and tested unit. Moreover, it's a car which belongs to 2021!

Other than these, I would recommend evaluating the Amaze which will be a proper upgrade in terms of the segment too. Yes, you might need to settle with the base or mid variant of the Amaze due to the budget restriction, but on the whole, Amaze will be a proper upgrade from WagonR. Good luck.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:31   #25
BHPian

The only advantage Polo has is the engine. Altroz is better in every other aspect. XT variant is prized under 8.5Lakh which is within your cousin's budget. He can compare XT and XM Rhytm Plus Style (slightly cheaper & different feature distribution) and choose the best variant for him.

Since Altroz is in the market for almost a year, I am hoping that Tata has ironed out all initial quality issues.

I have recently test drove both Altroz 1.2 NA and Grand i10 1.2 NA. Did not really feel any power lag in Altroz to be frank! Probably because my current drive is a 2009 model i10 1.1 IRDE. Since your cousin drives a car which has similar power figures, he will not feel any power deficiency in Altroz I feel.

Let him drive the car and take call.
Old 14th March 2021, 12:32   #26
BHPian

Apart from all the cars recommended here, I would recommend you to give Brezza a try.
The LXI variant will be a perfect fit. (₹7.3 Lacs ex showroom)

Reason:
1. Scores good on safety. (4 Star in NCAP)
2. Good comfort and space
3. Butter smooth and reliable n/a engine (1.5 L 4 cylinder)
4. Mileage and after sales service is sorted
5. Quite a lot of features for the price. (Electronic ORVM's, Power windows, Audio System w/4 speakers)

The only reason for him to reject it would be
1. If he does'nt like Maruti Suzuki brand (Case with a lot of people nowadays)
2. Interior is quite dated for today's sandards
Rambo-RS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Update:
...So the remaining candidates are:...
Good to read that you have clarity on the expectations off, of the car.

Amongst your revised revised list above, my vote goes out to Tata Altroz for:
- handling
- engine dynamics (it loves to be whacked & pushed to limits)
- driving characteristics
- all the driver-related bells & whistles & in-cabin features
- overall looks & appearance (the shocking red one looks absolutely smashing in my opinion)
- overall affordability
- service center availability (albeit it will make a world of difference if you know a senior works-manager @ your local/nearest Tata service center)

That aside, even on-paper, Altroz makes more sense:

[a] Honda Amaze: 1498cc > 78.9bhp@3600rpm > 160Nm@1750rpm
[b] Tata Altroz: 1497cc > 88.77bhp@4000rpm > 200Nm@3000rpm
[c] Tata Tiago: 1199cc > 84.48bhp@6000rpm > 113Nm@3300rpm
[d] Tata Tigor: 1199cc > 84.48bhp@6000rpm > 113Nm@3300rpm

just my 2 cents :-)
Old 14th March 2021, 12:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Normally, the vehicle would have been used primarily for the office commute and the occasional outstation trip. With Covid and work-from-home becoming a staple, commuting should be lower but still the form the majority of the driving. I tried to convince him of Automatics, but he is most comfortable with a Manual.
If the intended drive is office commute in Bangalore, you may want to re-look at getting an Automatic. Traffic in Bangalore is slowly going back to pre-COVID levels. In a few months, once vaccinations open to the general public, it is probable that offices will reopen and the traffic will be back to normal.

Transitioning from a manual to an automatic is very easy and will only take an hour or two of driving for an experienced driver.

My humble submission - driving in Bangalore traffic is vastly easier and less frustrating with an automatic.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:21   #29
BHPian

Hi Avi550m,

couple of thoughts:

You are right about Tiago's solid feel and cheap (VFM) tag. However the engine is not that noisy (at least compared to my i10 iRDE). inside the car one doesnt feel much noise or vibration. My parents have a XZ from 2016, so I am assuming that the newer versions would be even more refined.

Also - So far the Tiago doesnt have any major niggles, but occasionally there are some minor rattles here and there.
The service intervals may be 6 months, but the service is actually alright (my dad allows the service staff to come and pick and drop the car from home). Its just 1 day in ~6 months that the car is away. Might be manageable.

Yes, the engine is not an enthusiast's first preference, but yesterday I drove the car after ages and felt the engine responds well for my sedate style of driving.

Also, please remember - dont let just 1-2 stray incidents from a sales person define your plan for a car. you will live with the car much longer than interacting with the sales person's 1-2 brief chats.

Overall we are happy with the Tiago.

Quote:
Background

1. Tata Tiago (XZ/XZ+)

Prices:
  • XZ: 7.45 lakhs – 15k cash discount – 10k exchange bonus
  • XZ+: 7.79 lakhs – 15 k cash discount – 10k exchange bonus
Waiting Period: 6 – 8 weeks

Impressions:

Pros:

+ Good solid feel
+ Very well equipped with all safety features
+ 4 star NCAP Rating
+ Relatively good rearward visibility compared
+ The cheapest car here
+ Good sound system

Cons:
- That three cylinder engine is definitely the noisiest and most vibration filled of all the cars under consideration
- 6 month service interval is annoying
- I went to two tata dealers, and the service levels were poor in each case. The salesperson was not interested in showing me the cars in one location, and was busy chatting with his friends while showing me the car in another
- Boot space is relatively small at 242 litres

I believe: less fancy features mean less headache (peace of mind)
I would prefer analogy dials over digital displays any day. I would rather suggest - look out for the best mechanically sorted options i.e Honda would be one route to go.
However Tata has made a lot of improvements in quality. Altroz isnt a bad option and isnt exactly new - its been around for a while. Yes the iTurbo is relatively new but then that also would be over budget. I havnt heard any major horror stories around the older Altroz.

I'll suggest - Amaze > Jazz > Altroz

Quote:
Background

Features to Consider

Given that the wagonR was pretty bare-bones in terms of features (no central locking, manual windows etc), we are definitely looking for a well-featured car.
Here are some of the features which I would consider essential:

Safety Features
2 Airbags, ABS+EBD, Rear Window Defogger, Wash and Wipe, Day/Night IRVM

Comfort and Convenience
Stereo System with 4 Speakers, Steering mounted controls, Electrically foldable ORVMs, Rear Parking Sensors, One Shot Auto Up/Down Drivers Window

Of course, I would prefer more features if possible, like Automatic Climate Control, Touchscreen stereo with Android Auto, Remote Keyless Entry, Rear Parking Camera etc. But those are nice-to-haves, if we can fit them within budget, great.
Also, the car has be available in grey colour.
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
They have a budget of around Rs. 8 lakhs max (stretchable to 8.5) OTR Bangalore…

A key aspect in this purchase decision is safety…

Normally, the vehicle would have been used primarily for the office commute and the occasional outstation trip

Here are some of the features which I would consider essential:
2 Airbags, ABS+EBD, Rear Window Defogger, Wash and Wipe, Day/Night IRVM
Stereo System with 4 Speakers, Steering mounted controls, Electrically foldable ORVMs, Rear Parking Sensors, One Shot Auto Up/Down Drivers Window

Of course, I would prefer more features if possible, like Automatic Climate Control, Touchscreen stereo with Android Auto, Remote Keyless Entry, Rear Parking Camera etc. But those are nice-to-haves, if we can fit them within budget, great.

Also, the car has be available in grey colour.

What would you recommend from these choices, based on safety, reliability, ease of driving and general overall quality and after-sales.
Great detailed requirements. Love someone so clear and articulate about their needs. Since there is good discussion around the models that you have posted and some good suggestions too, I'll suggest something which isn't discussed yet. Given a strict budget constraint, compromise like getting a mid/low variant higher segment car (Altroz/Amaze) and missing out on features -vs- getting a top-end from a lower segment is a common dilemma. For this, I often recommend checking out the used market once. In you budget, you would get…

Examples of almost-new, lightly-used cars that you can get in top-end

A used, top-end Freestyle
Buy a BS4 model and you will get goodies like Android Auto, rear wash wipe etc. which Ford stupidly deleted later. The Freestyle also get 6 airbags along with active safety features like traction control, active rollover prevention, ESC, etc. which are not common even in 15L+ cars
Examples on OLX:A used, top-end Amaze
No examples currently on OLX of the top-end VX model but wait a bit or go for the V variant, of which a few are up for sale

A used Polo
Almost-new top-end Altroz
I would personally recommend going this route any day. You get a car that is almost new, is a top-end with all the features that one wants and is from a premium hatchback / compact sedan segment, not the entry-level hatchback segment. Get it checked from a service centre and you will have total peace of mind. Only thing one generally has to compromise when buying used is the colour.
batladanny is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks