Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 23:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Which potent car to end monotony for a 37-year male?

@NST440 Do try for Rapid TSI AT, even in rider/+ variant. Will be a big bonus over the manual. Other features can be added later. I have driven other sedan ATs: City (4g), Verna, Ciaz. None comes close to Rapid in handling. Rapid also comes with warranty extendable to 6y. And the current gen had been around for long, so even FNGs have reasonable experience with it.
dsr001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:35   #32
BHPian

Why not a preloved Jetta/Octavia.

Fantastic vehicles, Great Handlers,
VFM if going through the pre-owned route,
Good Mod Potential, and most importantly,
an ability to Plaster a wide wide grin when you put pedal to the metal.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 23:06   #33
BHPian

No new car under 11 lakh OTR (or for that matter 20 lakh OTR) has any zing. We do not have access to affordable sports cars (Miata, Civic RS, Supra) in India. We also for the most part do not have the kind of roads these cars deserve. Your reasons for not going for Polo/Rapid are very reasonable, and to be fair they're a bit long in the tooth now, even their replacements in the international market are now getting old. Maybe you could get a power and suspension upgrade for your Ciaz, a couple of lakhs spent on that would yield you a car superior to a new Polo or Rapid. Or get a Duke 390, it gets to 100 under 6 seconds, which is faster than any car under 50 lakh (probably), and handles better than all of them too. Most zing for your money.
Old 7th April 2021, 23:41   #34
BHPian

Both turbo petrol and diesel of lower variant Venue/Sonet/I20 should suit your needs and is available for around 10.5 Lakhs OTR. But considering you are moving from Ciaz, Venue/Sonet might feel a little compact. In that case, just like majority of the people here has suggested, Rapid seems like the ideal choice if are ok with the fact that it is a decade old car.
delusional_fool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 16:45   #35

I am eagerly awaiting an outcome of this discussion, even if the budget stretches by a couple of lakhs for outstation trips.

Currently, I'm getting my zing out of Polo GT TSI for about last 5 years (which it keeps providing in abundance). I'm 5'7", and use it mainly in NCR.
Youngindus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 15:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Whatever the OP ultimately chooses, the Polo for me has been very uncomfortable and cramped on long drives, even though I am of average height. The most problematic area for me as been the seat comfort. The lower back starts aching an hour into a long drive, and this for me ruins all the fun of what could be an otherwise fun drive.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 23:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The most problematic area for me as been the seat comfort. The lower back starts aching an hour into a long drive, and this for me ruins all the fun of what could be an otherwise fun drive.
Does the Vento have different front seats, even I had this lower back pain issue with our Polo.
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:16   #38
BHPian

The inputs of fellow Bhpians seriously seems to be inclined towards Rapid/Vento and after driving them I seriously am spell bound.

Have been busy last month due to some official affairs, also I felt that I should hold on to the Ciaz as quoted by some in the forum. However, am unable to control the will to drive a better vehicle.

Since I have driven turbos all through for the recent years, it is hard to drive a NA petrol no matter how smooth or practical the vehicle is.

Test drive Tata Altroz and Nexon as well (Diesel). Love the drive of Altroz , powerful, planted and beautiful inside out.

Torn between choosing the Rapid or Altroz. Although I feel Altroz being smaller may feel like a downshift (only in terms of size).

I am in a dilemma, heart seriously wants a TSi 1.0 and the rider plus fits my budget but lacks steering controls and cruise which I use too often.

Don’t know what to do, have never been this confused.
Hope I can get some advice to make me bite the bullet and be done with it.
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
also I felt that I should hold on to the Ciaz as quoted by some in the forum.
Ciaz and 'potent'? There is no way. If you're buying one, please request mods for a change of title for this thread

I am not sure what weightage you want to give to the requirement that the car should be potent, but in my opinion, you should get a car with good driving dynamics, which can be remapped. Then it will be potent. The stock ones in this range aren't really powerful. Just speaking for my taste.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd August 2021 at 21:29.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 22:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Ciaz and 'potent'? There is no way. If you're buying one, please request mods for a change of title for this thread

I am not sure what weightage you want to give to the requirement that the car should be potent, but in my opinion, you should get a car with good driving dynamics, which can be remapped. Then it will be potent. The stock ones in this range aren't really powerful. Just speaking for my taste.
Kindly go through my first post,I already have a Ciaz and am looking for a potent vehicle to replace her.
NST440 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 22:24   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO, VW and Hyundai groups have the best turbo petrols in the mass market. VW group cars offer better build and they are not pocket friendly to maintain. Not very supportive in offering goodwill in case of any major repairs. Hyundai group world be more pragmatic. I would bite the bullet and go for VW.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 23:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

I’d suggest getting an S-Cross 1.6 (pre-owned) and saving $$$ for the next upgrade. The turbo lag shouldn’t be an issue since 30km of your commute is highway.

If you absolutely don’t find one, others have provided good suggestions.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 01:59   #43
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post

I am in a dilemma, heart seriously wants a TSi 1.0 and the rider plus fits my budget but lacks steering controls and cruise which I use too often.

Don’t know what to do, have never been this confused.
Hope I can get some advice to make me bite the bullet and be done with it.
Hey man, is it possible for you to stretch for the Ambition. Have heard that there are better discounts on the Ambition as compared to the Rider or the Rider Plus which practically get negligible discount.

If stretching is not an option, the VAG cars are one of the most mod friendly cars out there. If you are willing to take a calculated risk with the warranty, you can easily get a brand new multifunction steering for about 25-30k. Just search for VAGTune. I am pretty sure that there are others doing these mods for VAG cars as well.

Other alternate can be the Hyundai Aura with its 1.0 Turbo petrol but yes, technically, a downgrade from the Ciaz.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

It looks like Rapid / Vento 1.0 TSI are the nearest to giving you your answer. Unless you do a lot of city commutes, it’s best to avoid the AT and stick to manual in both these cars as you seem to enjoy purity of driving. You should be able to get the base variants for your budget.

Now here is the good part - both of these are the last of the good platforms made by VW that give you a solid feel at such a low price. This platform gives these cars good handling and coupled with the 1.0 TSI engine you really can’t get more for 10 lakhs.

Cars of this sort won’t be available for long as Skoda is moving up the value chain and the newer Rapid will be bigger, have relatively less power, lower handling levels and like the new Octavia, a disaster.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 07:39   #45
BHPian

Hey friends , here’s an update, I Just drove the Altroz diesel yesterday.

It was difficult to believe that it is a TATA product. Loved the way she pulls, great handling and dynamics. Felt like a safe place to be in with such mature characteristics.

Just realising my requirements again, the car felt like a complete package and so much fun to drive, with the added advantage of 5 star safety and lot of bells and whistles in the Xz variant along with a good engine and promising mileage.

Compared to rapid rider plus which although is a good product but is bare bones, Altroz felt much up to date, fresh and inspired confidence since the product is new and shall be continued for a considerable period.

The XZ diesel , although priced higher than the rapid rider plus , suits my budget and ticks almost all the boxes.

Inquired with the dealer, the diesel XZ is available in the stock yard in the colour I like.

I feel I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
NST440 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed