Hyundai Creta Diesel SX(O) AT 2 0.56%
Tata Harrier XZA+ 10 2.80%
Tata Safari XZA+ 90 25.21%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2021, 10:59   #46
BHPian

Re: Replacement for a 10-year old Toyota Innova

We've decided to get replace our 2010 Innova 2.5 GX with a Crysta GX petrol AT. I thought it would happen after a while but considering the wait time, we'll be booking it within the next week. We're probably getting the new "Sparkling Black Crystal Shine".

I was wondering if it would be prudent to get the 17 inch wheels which come with the Z and V trims replacing the 16 inch ones that come with the G trim. If yo geys have any suggestions about accessorizing, please let me know.

Thanks!
adwaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:07   #47
BHPian

Planning to put the MG Hector into the consideration list as well after reading the reviews stating that the Hector also has good comfort along with the good ride quality.

Despite being Chinese, the Hector seemed to be a good option.
Old 14th April 2021, 17:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Utility, comfort, reliability, etc etc: Only an Innova can replace an Innova. It's a no brainer and does it even need a poll?? May be you've missed the upcoming Alcazar.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 19:54   #49
BHPian

I have Innova VX bought in January 2009. It has run 180K kilometres. Have travelled long distance and gives me an average of 14.7kmpl even today on highways with AC. It can easily last for 200k kilometres without huge maintenance bills. If one has to replace an innova, go for another innova.
INNOWAGON_CL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 10:05   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
If the above are actually your reasons for buying a new car, don't!

Buying a new car will NOT save you money vs. keeping your old Innova.
It will however provide you with a superior, and more comfortable vehicle.

Have done a quick back-of-hand calculation for you. Have attached the excel, so you may change the assumptions I have made.
Thanks, great spreadsheet. I recently sold my 2013 Innova VX (2nd owner) due to a move. It had done ~1.5 lakh km and I got 6.5 lakhs for it in Mumbai. The buyer took it for personal use, but also had a taxi company. He said they routinely run Innovas for 5 to 6 lakh km, some even more. No replacement for an Innova..
petengr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:57   #51
BHPian

In 2019, I was exactly in the same position. My 2007 Innova had run almost 160K and still as reliable as ever with pristine interiors; sold it because I've a max-12 year rule and my weekend drives started clocking 700km every week. Mileage of 13.5kmpl was pinching a bit and needed an automatic for weekday commute to work. Picked Seltos AT because I liked Diesel+AT much better than Petrol+DCT; good looks, mileage of approx 20kmpl on highways and much better NVH; also that was the only BS6 option available then. Car is still good though due to covid, much lesser run. Though it just can't give you that comfort and solid feeling you get in a Crysta. All said, if I was doing this decision today, will definitely go for Crysta G AT (Z AT is good, but very costly and doesn't have the middle row bench seats - family loves that much more than captain seats), now that it is available in BS6. Road noise is still a bit higher than Seltos, but the ride quality is miles ahead. All the bling and bells and whistles you get in Seltos wears off after few months - the assurance you get from a Toyota won't.
vsbabu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 14:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
In 2019, I was exactly in the same position. My 2007 Innova had run almost 160K and still as reliable as ever with pristine interiors; sold it because I've a max-12 year rule and my weekend drives started clocking 700km every week. Mileage of 13.5kmpl was pinching a bit and needed an automatic for weekday commute to work. Picked Seltos AT because I liked Diesel+AT much better than Petrol+DCT; good looks, mileage of approx 20kmpl on highways and much better NVH; also that was the only BS6 option available then. Car is still good though due to covid, much lesser run. Though it just can't give you that comfort and solid feeling you get in a Crysta. All said, if I was doing this decision today, will definitely go for Crysta G AT (Z AT is good, but very costly and doesn't have the middle row bench seats - family loves that much more than captain seats), now that it is available in BS6. Road noise is still a bit higher than Seltos, but the ride quality is miles ahead. All the bling and bells and whistles you get in Seltos wears off after few months - the assurance you get from a Toyota won't.
Thanks for the suggestion sir!

Glad to see that you had the Innova before and replaced it with Seltos!

What made you to purchase the Seltos by replacing the Innova and instead of purchasing the Crysta as you had an Innova right?

Did you feel any difference between the Innova and Seltos, in terms of drivability and comfort?
Old 29th April 2021, 20:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Was looking at a 2018 manufactured, 2019 registered Crysta Z MT, which has run less than 10K Kms and its a company used vehicle btw and the seller is quoting Rs.24L and new one costs Rs.28.5L.
If possible look in Delhi. Prices for crysta are much lower there. May work out a lakh or two cheaper after accounting for re-registration fees.
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 00:11   #54
BHPian

Have added the Jeep Compass to the list as well and was looking for pre-owned Compasses, which are hard to come by! But, had seen a 2019 Limited Plus, which is for sale at 19.5L and ran just 21k Kms with 2 years EW!

Now, we have removed Tatas from the list as we aren't keen on splurging 25L on a Tata vehicle even though I like their recent offerings and I don't want my dad to make frequent visits to the service center and now we are considering Jeep Compass, Kia Seltos, and Innova Crysta!

The only problem with the Compass is A.S.S! While Kia and Toyota A.S.S are located within our vicinity, the Jeep's A.S.S is located around 30 Kms away from our place, which will become difficult for us!
Old 9th July 2021, 13:56   #55

A 10 year Innova has not completed half of its life yet. A minor accident should not be an issue. Toyota repairs are quite good. I have a 16 year Innova that is still running strong. It is still an excellent second car when you require the additional space.

If your dad really requires the AT, then only the Crysta should be considered. No other car can replace an Innova. Don't expect running costs to be lower though. My dad has the Crysta 2.8.ZX. The AT is less efficient than the manual. Mileage is definitely less than the old Innova MT.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th July 2021 at 14:10. Reason: spacing for improved readability
autounion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 12:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autounion View Post
A 10 year Innova has not completed half of its life yet. A minor accident should not be an issue. Toyota repairs are quite good. I have a 16 year Innova that is still running strong. It is still an excellent second car when you require the additional space.

If your dad really requires the AT, then only the Crysta should be considered. No other car can replace an Innova. Don't expect running costs to be lower though. My dad has the Crysta 2.8.ZX. The AT is less efficient than the manual. Mileage is definitely less than the old Innova MT.
Thanks for the inputs, sir!

Good to see that you are still holding onto a 16-year-old Innova despite owning a Crysta!

Since I'm planning to move abroad in another few months, I have a plan, i.e, sell off the Innova and get a Creta Diesel AT for dad if 7 seater is not a necessity as Creta has good rear-seat comfort due to its softer suspension setup and get a Polo GT TSI replacing my City Diesel as my City is presently used within the city limits and will be used mostly by my mom for commuting to her workplace when I move abroad!

The second plan is to get a Seltos or Sonet Diesel AT by replacing any of our cars and get an Innova Crysta AT later if 7 seater is a necessity!

As of now, 7 seater is not a necessity for us anymore as our requirements have changed due to some circumstances! Though having a 7 seater is not a necessity, we are still considering the Crysta due to its reliability and have good experiences with Toyota A.S.S!
Old 14th July 2021, 22:15   #57
BHPian

Had TD'ed the Innova Crysta 2.4 AT today at a nearby Toyota showroom and there is nothing home to write about its pros and cons when it comes to the vehicle as it's a proven one!

The Crysta 2.4 AT had a lag till 1500 RPM, post that, it drives likes a breeze! Overall, the Innova Crysta 2.4 AT has impressed me much in terms of drivability and refinement except for lag in lower RPMs!

I guess the initial lag wasn't present in the 2.8 engine!

And, after driving the Crysta AT, I felt this one will be the replacement for our Innova and the only problem is the variant selection! Since my dad isn't keen on spending 6L more on Z AT and instead, get the GX AT, which costs 24L here in Hyderabad, and get the mods done worth 1-1.5L and save the rest of the money for its fuel or get the VX MT, which costs 27L in Hyderabad!

And, another plan is to get a Kia Seltos GTX+ Diesel AT replacing the Innova and at a later date, get the Innova Crysta GX AT or VX MT replacing my Honda City Diesel!
Old 5th August 2022, 17:15   #58
BHPian

Its been a while since I had updated this thread.

We had booked the Seltos GTX+ D AT a few months ago, which I had to downgrade the variant to HTX D AT later due to budget issues and, later, felt the HTX D AT variant sensible as it has necessary features and icing on the cake is, it gets 6 airbags too.

Initially, I had booked the Taigun 1.0 Topline AT in the month of Jan but later cancelled as we are better off with Diesels considering that our running is more than 20k Kms per year.

And, meanwhile, we had sold off our 2011 Innova VX in the month of April for 5.5L to a dealer I know.

Inspite of booking the Seltos, I've been still looking for other alternatives like Scorpio-N D AT or a less run Innova Crysta 2.8 AT, which are hard to come by and are ridiculously priced in pre-owned market.

For instance, a less than 40k Kms run 2016 2.8 GX AT in White colour is being sold for 18.75L while a 60k Kms run well maintained 2017 2.8 GX AT in Garnet Red colour is being sold for 19.5L and 2018-19 ones are sold for more than 20L.

This shows how a used Crysta 2.8 AT is priced in Hyderabad pre-owned market.
Old 29th July 2023, 01:52   #59
BHPian

Updating this thread after almost an year!

After lots of deliberations and research, we got ourselves an Innova Hycross VX Hybrid 7S today.

We had booked the car on 28th March 2023 and exactly after 4 months from booking date, we bought the car.

Was supposed to buy Seltos D AT and almost bought one last year but dropped due to some reasons and in the meantime, dad heard about the launch of Innova Hycross considering that it has Hybrid powertrain and booked one eventually. Also, the Hycross is purely my dad's choice and he didn't show any interest on any other cars.

We had started with Taigun 1.0 AT, then Seltos D AT and eventually ended up getting Innova Hycross.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 18:24   #60
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Updating this thread after almost an year!

After lots of deliberations and research, we got ourselves an Innova Hycross VX Hybrid 7S today.

We had booked the car on 28th March 2023 and exactly after 4 months from booking date, we bought the car.

Was supposed to buy Seltos D AT and almost bought one last year but dropped due to some reasons and in the meantime, dad heard about the launch of Innova Hycross considering that it has Hybrid powertrain and booked one eventually. Also, the Hycross is purely my dad's choice and he didn't show any interest on any other cars.

We had started with Taigun 1.0 AT, then Seltos D AT and eventually ended up getting Innova Hycross.
With the ever-increasing car prices, An Innova Hycross replacing an Innova makes a lot of sense, considering the use case remains the same. You get the latest iteration with hybrid technology which gives excellent fuel efficiency, adequate power, and better comfort owing to the monocoque construction.

A worthy choice indeed, should serve you well for at least the next decade or so, by that time EVs should be more commonplace than they are today!

Wishing you many great miles ahead with your Hycross!
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed