Tata Harrier XZA+ 10 2.80%
Tata Safari XZA+ 90 25.21%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2021, 14:10   #1
BHPian

Replacement for a 10-year old Toyota Innova

Hello everyone,

We have a 2011 Toyota Innova VX as well as a 2014 Honda City iDTEC VMT at home and both were bought used. The Innova had run just 75,000 Kms on the odo during the purchase in 2016 and now, it has run 1.78L Kms, in which we have clocked a shade of more than 1,00,000 Kms in 56 months of ownership. The Honda City was bought used in 2017 when the odo was at 35,000 Kms and the present odo reading of the City is 1.07L Kms.

We felt that it is time to let go off the Innova as it is 10 years old and giving less FE due to which, the diesel bills are burning our pockets badly, especially after the increase in fuel rates. The Innova is reliable and we recently did a 1500 Kms trip to Tirupati and reached home safely without any issues. Now, the thing is, we are planning to sell off the Innova as we felt it is expensive to maintain due to it being a 10-year-old car and despite aging well, we are still getting service bills of Rs.15-20k for every 10K Kms and it had met with 2 accidents in recent times.

Hence, we have decided to replace our Innova with a Creta/Seltos Diesel AT or Innova Crysta if a 7-seater is compulsory for dad.

Even after being aware of Hyundai/Kia issues and the Seltos' crash test result, I'm still inclined towards Seltos/Creta due to their looks(Seltos) as well as decent Diesel AT engine and drivability.

Had considered the Tata Harrier and Safari but it didn't make sense to spend Rs.25L on a Tata vehicle and instead, will prefer Innova Crysta or Jeep Compass over the Tata twins at that price point and my dad is not in a mood to splurge Rs.25L on a Tata vehicle as well.

The plan is to get the Innova Crysta in GX AT variant or VX MT variant as we don't have the budget to purchase the Z variant(might extend the budget to Z if dad is ok with extending the budget just for the Z variant).

If we purchase an Innova Crysta GX AT(costs close to Rs.24L here), the plan is to get GX AT as the Z version is expensive by Rs.6L and instead, will get the mods done like interior(which I'll get it done like VX or Z), the reverse camera attached to stock HU and others accessories, which will cost me around Rs.1.5L and still we would be saving a whopping Rs.5L over the Z AT and I felt that the 2021 Crysta GX AT is well equipped than our 2011 Innova VX with features like Apple Carplay and Android Auto along with cruise control but misses out on features like auto climate control and fog lamps(which I'll get it done at showroom).

For now, the plan is to sell off the Innova and get a Creta/ Seltos (that will serve as a second car later), and later on, we might replace our City with Innova Crysta only if my dad is not satisfied with a 5 seater crossover and the crossover will be used by myself and mom, who goes to her office everyday and she will be the one who uses the car on daily basis if I move abroad this year and driven by herself as well(her age is 51 btw and she still prefers to drive an MT car even at this age but I'm persuading her to get herself an AT due to her age and she drives the car mostly in traffic all the time and she loves driving as well).

But, few people around me were like, "Are you crazy and why are you planning to get Creta/ Seltos as the replacement for Innova?" And they told, "get the Innova Crysta only as the replacement of Innova and later on, sell off the City and get yourself a Sonet Diesel AT or Seltos Diesel AT". Even my dad was like, "are you crazy, who will replace Innova (an MPV) with Creta/Seltos(a crossover)?", which according to him, the Creta/Seltos feels smaller than Innova Crysta in terms of comfort and space.

And, the only thing which I still have a doubt is that whether the Seltos will be suitable as a chauffeur-driven car or not! I feel the Creta is more suitable for chauffeur-driven as it has better suspension tuned for comfort than the Seltos, where the suspension is tuned for cornering and for spirited driving.

And, along with Creta/ Seltos and Innova Crysta, we are considering Tata Harrier and Tata Safari 2021 as well after a TD.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th April 2021 at 08:59. Reason: Profanity
car_guy1998 is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 14:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Replacement for a 10-year old Toyota Innova

As much as I wanted to vote for the new Safari, only an Innova can replace an Innova. Tough, reliable, cheap to service and very comfortable to ride and a reasonably good drive as well. It also helps that Toyota raises prices every so often and so you dont loose as much on resale as well. I wish they still sold the 2.8 Diesel but 2.4 is no slouch either.
extreme_torque is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 15:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even I would advise to get the Innova Crysta for now. Nothing else comes close to what the previous generation Innova offered in terms of space and reliability.

I see you have your eyes on the Seltos/Creta & Harrier/Safari segment. Maybe get that later when you change the City. In a year or two, that segment will get properly settled in, with newer variants & models coming in from the Korean twins, VW, Skoda and hopefully Honda. By then whatever niggles and issues, if any, will be sorted out. For now, the Innova Crysta it is. It is a well rounded reliable product.

Last edited by TrackDay : 3rd April 2021 at 15:25.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 15:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, your best option is another Innova. I'll recommend the VX variant (you'll save the hassles of warranty that you'll have if you buy the GX) + Factory Fit is more often than not better than outsourced stuff. The extra money you spend can be recovered since you usually seem to be keeping your vehicle's for long and clock a lot of kilometres.

You and your family will never be able to be contempt with the Creta/Seltos and if it would be up to me, I'll always look for safety over looks, especially when the car will be regularly on the highways.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 16:44   #5
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Seltos - No for chauffeur driven
Creta - Maybe, if you can get past the looks
Harrier - One hell of a looker, not sure if you need 7 seats. If you feel adventurous with money, why not!
Safari - While being adventurous, you can carry 7 pax, slightly uncomfortably
Innova Crysta GX - No brainer. Not as sexy looking as the TATA twins but costs the same, will bore you to death with reliability which you have already experienced. And you don't have to be a statistic in TATA's R&D

Another thing about GX model, I think it has most things you need for a chauffeur driven vehicle maybe except the climate control & Apple Car play / Android auto (both of which are useless if driven by driver most of the time, speaking from experience). What you might lose out on is the additional airbags but your (like mine) current Innova doesn't have it either.
RJK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

It’s hard to find something ‘else’ if you’ve got used to the Innova. I would say, go for the Gx trim.

I think there was another thread recently with almost the same scenario and I think the final buy was a Crysta. Unable to find that thread.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:15   #7
BANNED

If the reason behind selling the Innova and getting the Crysta is fuel economy, then the purpose is defeated right at the doorstep. You have mentioned that Innova diesel bills are burning a hole on your pocket and so are service bills now.

Although Crysta is the best replacement, but it won't solve the purpose at all. Thing is, the long distance comfort that the Innova offers spoils you and you start looking for comfort over everything else! But Innova is not the car for fuel economy conscious.

Secondly, you need the car for chauffeur driven, that throws out Seltos and Creta of the window.

What I would suggest?
Wait for Alcazar, it will probably kill all the birds with one stone only. Better comfort for chauffeur driven than Creta and Seltos, cost effective, and is going to offer at least 30-40% higher FE than an Innova Crysta is any situation.

Other option, go and get an XL-6 (75% Innova comfort at 50% price). Although petrol, but still efficient. Crysta is any way not going to help you with FE case, and even if you save 1 rupee per kilometer, you are already spending over 10 lac towards the purchase cost initially.

I would say, look for a workhorse against a workhorse, a cheaper car will cost you lesser than the depreciation itself on the Crysta in 1 lac kms of ownership, no matter how good the resale value is.

This year we are getting XUV 5OO and Scorpio too, both are worth waiting for.

Last edited by VKumar : 3rd April 2021 at 17:18.
VKumar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, keep your existing Innova.

It's aged well, is reliable, is built tough, and to be honest 15-20k of service costs per 10,000kms is pretty much par for this segment.

It's a different story if you're bored / need the AT / it's spending a decent amount of time at the workshop.

The Creta / Seltos are good options too if you don't need the additional row of seats but suspect safety, niggles, etc. are a little bit of a turn off compared to the Innova.
Same for the Tata's which should be safer but are let down by poor service & even more niggles.
That being said, the Crysta is more comfortable & better built than these options which is why it's a big favorite with it's customers.
Whether it's worth the additional outlay is something only you can judge basis your requirements - these crossovers are easier to drive in the city, with better fuel economy, more features, and better ride & handling balance.
However, they are not going to be friendly for more than 5 passengers; and in my opinion aren't built as tough - the Innova can eat up bad roads, chauffeur driving, and a lot more without showing it. Many people feel the 7 seater Creta / Alcazar will pose a challenge to the Innova - but people felt the same about the Ertiga, Safari, and Carnival too!

Lastly, since you're open to pre-owned - have you explored other options like the CRV, Tucson, etc. which come a lot closer to the Innova in terms of ride, while maintaining the crossover advantages of better fuel economy, handling, easier to drive, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

Unless you need the AT specifically, carrying on with your existing Innova is the most economical decision. Spending big money on buying the new car is not going to justify offsetting the higher fuel bills of the new car.

If you do decide to upgrade, I would say stick to Crysta only if the Innova works for you. An outlier option if you are keen on Creta / Seltos could be to consider the Alcazar. Of course it is unlikely to provide the big boy size comfort of the Crysta but at least it provides you the Creta package with an option value of third row for occasional use.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 18:23   #10
BHPian

I was in the same situation as you couple of years back, our innova was 12 years old and done around 1.8 lac km. We saw various vehicles but came to the conclusion that the innova crysta was the sensible buy for us. Bought the 2.8 G A/T as the Z variant was around 6 lacs more expensive. All in all it was worth it, you can close your eyes and buy the innova crysta.
If there is no use of the third row look for something like the harrier that's an amazing car.
Philomath55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 19:07   #11
BHPian

If AT is not a consideration please give Marazzo a test drive. You will be pleasantly surprised. Is super refined and comfortable. Very fuel efficient as well. Plus it has the highest safety rating of MUVs tested in India. This is the tragedy of Mahindra. That they come up with such a competent vehicle and people are not even considering it as on option.
JediKnight is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 19:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Another thing about GX model, I think it has most things you need for a chauffeur driven vehicle maybe except the climate control & Apple Car play / Android auto (both of which are useless if driven by driver most of the time, speaking from experience). What you might lose out on is the additional airbags but your (like mine) current Innova doesn't have it either.
Current Innova Crysta GX AT has Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

Regarding the question by OP. I recently bought Innova Crysta last year for my parents after considering many options and here are my views.

1. Innova Crysta GX AT - For self-driving, definitely the AT. Only thing you will miss is Auto AC. Once you get used to AT in today's traffic, you won't go back to MT. The AT is pretty smooth and damn powerful. You can expect a fuel economy of 11 - 15 kmpl on an average.

2. Innova Crysta VX MT - For chauffeur-driven, better fuel economy and resale value. MTs usually have more demand among taxi companies.

So choose between comfort of AT over Auto AC, better fuel economy and a few additional bling. One thing I don't like about Innova especially the GX version is interior plastic quality.

3. Creta/Seltos - Prefer Creta over Seltos because of service network and overall ownership experience. But they are nowhere as comfortable as Innova but have more features. If you plan to keep it longer and munch many miles, then don't expect them to be as trouble free as your current Innova. Hyundai's are usually good for the first 70000-80000 kms, after then service bills keep increasing and they start giving some issues. Plus the diesel engine is good and has better fuel economy but being a smaller one it's not as fun as Innova. However, they are easier to drive and park in cities than Innova of course. You can consider them under secondary car.

4. TATA Harrier/Safari - If you value peace of mind, then stay away. They are not boring like Innova but the service and reliability experience is below average plus service interval every 6 months/7500 kms. Innova Crysta BS6 is changed to 1 year/10,000kms now. If you have heard good reviews about your nearby TATA service centres then you can take the risk. Also remember they are not RWD and low-end torque isn't as good as Innova.

5. Ertiga - People have been mentioning how Ertiga is 75/90% of Innova. I seriously don't see it in any way. The engine, drive, comfort, build nothing comes even close to Innova. There is a reason why it's not priced 75% of Innova. It's not like Maruti is into charity and doesn't care about profit margins. It's a good car but not a competitor to Innova. Buy Ertiga only if you are on a budget.
Technic90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 21:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As much as I wanted to vote for the new Safari, only an Innova can replace an Innova. Tough, reliable, cheap to service and very comfortable to ride and a reasonably good drive as well. It also helps that Toyota raises prices every so often and so you dont loose as much on resale as well. I wish they still sold the 2.8 Diesel but 2.4 is no slouch either.
Thanks for the inputs brother and yes, an Innova can replace an Innova only, but, I got bored of seeing the Innovas and wanted something new and many of my dad's friends own Innova and I know few people had upgraded the Innova with Crysta and Fortuner. Reliability is the reason why they prefer Toyota over the Tata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Even I would advise to get the Innova Crysta for now. Nothing else comes close to what the previous generation Innova offered in terms of space and reliability.

I see you have your eyes on the Seltos/Creta & Harrier/Safari segment. Maybe get that later when you change the City. In a year or two, that segment will get properly settled in, with newer variants & models coming in from the Korean twins, VW, Skoda and hopefully Honda. By then whatever niggles and issues, if any, will be sorted out. For now, the Innova Crysta it is. It is a well rounded reliable product.
Thanks for the inputs! Yeah, replacing the City is on the cards but this might happen after we purchase the replacement car for Innova. But, the plan is to get a Creta/Seltos first and later, get the Crysta replacing the City and keep Creta/Seltos as a second car. Since I've plans to move abroad, I thought why not get Creta/Seltos now and later buy Innova Crysta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Honestly, your best option is another Innova. I'll recommend the VX variant (you'll save the hassles of warranty that you'll have if you buy the GX) + Factory Fit is more often than not better than outsourced stuff. The extra money you spend can be recovered since you usually seem to be keeping your vehicle's for long and clock a lot of kilometres.

You and your family will never be able to be contempt with the Creta/Seltos and if it would be up to me, I'll always look for safety over looks, especially when the car will be regularly on the highways.
Thanks for the inputs Akash! Yeah, we are considering VX if we need manual but, since we got bored of driving manuals in the city, we felt that buying an AT car is a better bet.

And, yes, I agree with you that Creta/Seltos cannot match the comfort levels of Innova, but, I've kept it as an option. Even after being aware of Seltos crash result, I'm still inclined towards Creta/Seltos twins as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Seltos - No for chauffeur driven
Creta - Maybe, if you can get past the looks
Harrier - One hell of a looker, not sure if you need 7 seats. If you feel adventurous with money, why not!
Safari - While being adventurous, you can carry 7 pax, slightly uncomfortably
Innova Crysta GX - No brainer. Not as sexy looking as the TATA twins but costs the same, will bore you to death with reliability which you have already experienced. And you don't have to be a statistic in TATA's R&D

Thanks for the inputs! Coming to the looks of Creta, first I loathed it but slowly started liking the looks of the new one.

Coming to Crysta GX model, yes, it has lots of features and it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto in this model as well. But, what I lose is front foglamps and climate control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
It’s hard to find something ‘else’ if you’ve got used to the Innova. I would say, go for the Gx trim.

I think there was another thread recently with almost the same scenario and I think the final buy was a Crysta. Unable to find that thread.
Thanks for the inputs sir! I guess you had a type-4 Innova Z before replacing with Crysta GX AT right? Coming to features list, which features did you gain in Crysta GX AT when compared to type-4 Innova Z and which features do you miss when compared to type-4 Innova Z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
What I would suggest?
Wait for Alcazar, it will probably kill all the birds with one stone only. Better comfort for chauffeur driven than Creta and Seltos, cost effective, and is going to offer at least 30-40% higher FE than an Innova Crysta is any situation.

Thanks for the inputs brother! Will surely look at the Alcazar as well after its launch.

Other option, go and get an XL-6 (75% Innova comfort at 50% price). Although petrol, but still efficient. Crysta is any way not going to help you with FE case, and even if you save 1 rupee per kilometer, you are already spending over 10 lac towards the purchase cost initially.
Sorry, no Petrols and my dad doesn't prefer Petrols at all and his daily running is around 60-70 Kms a day, which means Petrols are ruled out of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, keep your existing Innova.

It's aged well, is reliable, is built tough, and to be honest 15-20k of service costs per 10,000kms is pretty much par for this segment.

It's a different story if you're bored / need the AT / it's spending a decent amount of time at the workshop.
Wanted to keep the Innova for another 1 year, but we usually replace our cars after 4-5 years of usage and we wanted to replace the Innova last year itself but, due to COVID and other financial reasons, we had to retain it.

And, last year, the Innova had met with 2 not so major accidents, which resulted in us spending huge amount of money of accidental repairs. Since it had met with 2 accidents last year, we felt that it's the time to sell off the Innova and many of my dad's friends were suggesting him to get rid of the Innova after these accidents.

To be honest, we got bored of the vehicle and we needed the AT as well so that my dad can drive in the city whenever our driver is on leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Current Innova Crysta GX AT has Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

Regarding the question by OP. I recently bought Innova Crysta last year for my parents after considering many options and here are my views.

1. Innova Crysta GX AT - For self-driving, definitely the AT. Only thing you will miss is Auto AC. Once you get used to AT in today's traffic, you won't go back to MT. The AT is pretty smooth and damn powerful. You can expect a fuel economy of 11 - 15 kmpl on an average.

2. Innova Crysta VX MT - For chauffeur-driven, better fuel economy and resale value. MTs usually have more demand among taxi companies.

So choose between comfort of AT over Auto AC, better fuel economy and a few additional bling. One thing I don't like about Innova especially the GX version is interior plastic quality.
Thanks for the inputs brother and congrats for buying the Innova Crysta GX AT!

Coming to AT, yes an AT car is definitely better for self driving but, our driver had insisted us to get an AT car so that it will be easy for him as well as for myself and dad to drive in city traffic.

And, coming to Crysta MT, definitely it has better FE than AT but after seeing the FE figures of AT, I feel that the Crysta GX AT is the better bet than VX MT but I lose on features like Auto AC, foglamps(which I'll get it done from showroom during purchase).

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 3rd April 2021 at 21:13.
car_guy1998 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 21:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post

Thanks for the inputs sir! I guess you had a type-4 Innova Z before replacing with Crysta GX AT right? Coming to features list, which features did you gain in Crysta GX AT when compared to type-4 Innova Z and which features do you miss when compared to type-4 Innova Z?
Good question.

The ones that I sorely miss from my previous Z trim Innova are:
1. Air con climate control - I used to set it at 23Deg and that was it
2. It was fully loaded - the system was good. Though I’m not an audio person, I didn’t have to break my head on a music system
3. Rear parking cameras
4. Body side decal. Was looking good on my grey Innova (not a feature though)

What I gained clearly in my new Crysta is the Engine. Overtaking is a breeze and it’s so much more at ease in the highways. I did have to spend quite a bit to add in accessories, though, these days, the GX has improved quite a bit compared to the bare bone ones when I had bought.

What I gained, and feel delighted about is the AT in the Crysta. Such a relief coming from the older MT Innova.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 22:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Good question.

The ones that I sorely miss from my previous Z trim Innova are:
1. Air con climate control - I used to set it at 23Deg and that was it
2. It was fully loaded - the system was good. Though I’m not an audio person, I didn’t have to break my head on a music system
3. Rear parking cameras
4. Body side decal. Was looking good on my grey Innova (not a feature though)
Thanks for mentioning the missing features against your old Innova Z. ACC control is a must have feature as I got used to it in our Innova and Honda City. This feature has become mandatory for me since we had Vento.

Now, even the new GX has the music system, which supports Apple carplay and Android Auto, which is an important feature for me as well.

Coming to rear camera, we can get the camera from the dealer itself by attaching it to the music system and the fitting is plug and play as well.

And, yes, the GX has been improved a lot by adding new features in it and now I feel that the GX AT is VFM after adding those features except for Auto AC and fog lamps, which I can get it done from the dealer during the delivery.

IMO, the GX AT is the best variant available in the new Crysta and one can save Rs.6L over the Z version and can get some mods worth Rs.1.5-2L and still, the buyer is left with more money and he can keep that money for fuel expenses.
car_guy1998 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed