Tata Harrier XZA+ 10 2.80%
Tata Safari XZA+ 90 25.21%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2021, 23:00   #16
BHPian

re: Replacement for a 10-year old Toyota Innova

Go for the Crysta.

Looking at prices of the tune of 21 lakhs for Seltos with that puny 1.5L, Innova Crysta looks so much value for money for the sheer hardware. It is only a matter of time before prices shoot up.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 23:09   #17
S15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Go for the Crysta.

Looking at prices of the tune of 21 lakhs for Seltos with that puny 1.5L, Innova Crysta looks so much value for money for the sheer hardware. It is only a matter of time before prices shoot up.

That "puny" 1.5 diesel will still out accelerate and out-run the 2.4.
Not to mention a real world top-speed difference of +20 kmph.
S15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 00:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
That "puny" 1.5 diesel will still out accelerate and out-run the 2.4.
Not to mention a real world top-speed difference of +20 kmph.
He is looking for a replacement for Innova. They already have a 5 seater at home.

If speed is a criteria, he could have specified it. You have better choices at a discount to Seltos. On your top speed comment my friend, you are already looking at illegal levels.
Thermodynamics is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 15:30   #19
BHPian

You are in a unique situation but with a unique advantage too. Let me explain.

Go ahead and replace your Innova with a Creta/Seltos for now. Try to live with it for let’s say 1-2 years. After that if you feel you can’t do without an Innova, you can replace your Honda City with a Crysta.
Voyager-1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 10:38   #20
BHPian

Re: Replacement for a 10-year old Toyota Innova

I have been in your situation. Replaced a 2009 Innova (V) with a 2017 Crysta 2.4 (VX) There is, simply, no other option.

The 2017 Crysta we bought is a pre-owned one since a new one was ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 6th April 2021 at 10:39.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 11:00   #21
BHPian

As others have suggested, you are used to Toyota and Innova, anything else will be a bit underwhelming for you. But before that, do you need a 7 seater ? If yes then Alcazar, Ertiga, XL6 can be options other than Innova GX.
If 7 seater is not a must, there are some very nice 5 seater SUVs - Creta, Seltos, SCross, XUV 300, Nexon.
Only thing is before you choose Tata cars, rest assured you will have disappointment coming in from Toyota on the service experiance.

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 6th April 2021 at 11:02. Reason: Typo
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 12:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
We felt that it is time to let go off the Innova as it is 10 years old and giving less FE due to which, the diesel bills are burning our pockets badly, especially after the increase in fuel rates. The Innova is reliable and we recently did a 1500 Kms trip to Tirupati and reached home safely without any issues. Now, the thing is, we are planning to sell off the Innova as we felt it is expensive to maintain due to it being a 10-year-old car and despite aging well, we are still getting service bills of Rs.15-20k for every 10K Kms and it had met with 2 accidents in recent times.
If the above are actually your reasons for buying a new car, don't!

Buying a new car will NOT save you money vs. keeping your old Innova.
It will however provide you with a superior, and more comfortable vehicle.

Have done a quick back-of-hand calculation for you. Have attached the excel, so you may change the assumptions I have made.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement for a 10-year old Toyota Innova-innova-replacement-calc.png  

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Innova Replacement Calc.xlsx (11.7 KB, 131 views)
kadanaJ is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 12:14   #23
BHPian

Why don't you consider the Kia Carnival? It would be the ideal upgrade from an Innova, especially if your travel is in metros / highways.
KungFuPanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 12:24   #24
BHPian

I am not sure if it would be wise to replace an Innova again with an Innova. I would suggest you keep your Innova and run it for another 20 to 30K kms. The diesel bills will be lower when you compare it with a new car cost. Did you also look at the Marazzo? It is a safe car, built well and abuse friendly.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 13:57   #25
BHPian

Given your situation and fuel efficiency concerns, replacing the vehicle will not solve anything. Let us assume that you get marginally better FE, spending a lot of money to replace the vehicle is not justifiable.

Secondly, 1.8L KMS on an Innova is not very high. Just do regular servicing and keep the car for as long as you can. That is where you will save the most. You can replace the shocks if the older vehicle's ride quality has deteriorated. Our family has an Innova that has done 5.8L KMS in last 11 years, works like a charm and we have no intention of replacing it.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
mohitchalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 14:27   #26
BHPian

Dear Car_guy1998,

I will suggest you get The Innova Crysta.

Not that Tata and Korean twins are bad but considering that you are planning to move abroad and your parents' age a niggle free car is a good choice for their peace of mind and yours too.

Other than that your existing Innova is not at all that old. 178k is nothing for that keeper D4D.

As far as fuel efficiency is concerned, The Innova Crysta will not give too much mileage than your old Innova. Here new car buying cost is not taken into account.

How come your car's maintenance is that high?

Please change your Service center or move to FNG. If possible can you please share your car's service bills for better understanding?
N4Nikunj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 18:57   #27
BHPian

My 2011 Innova GX, run 1.4L kms, returns highway FE of 13-14 kmpl, maintenance cost of about 9-11K (every 10k km). Running on 2nd set of Yokos (225 R15). Unchanged clutch. Going strong.

I'm also looking to replace, and even without budget constraints (upper limit of 50L), I find it difficult to get an alternative to Crysta.

A quick summary below.

Vehicles driven:
1. Harrier - super looks. won't feel the road. Good buy at 20L on road Bangalore. You wouldn't regret. A great 5 seater.
2. Safari - rear is not that great. They shouldn't have tried to have the old 'safari' step roof. Zero boot space. Sunroof is amazing.
3. Fortuner - Powerful monster... Unbeatable looks. You will feel even a small stone on road. Engine roar. Space is decent, interiors could have been more premium looking for the price
4. Endeavor - great interiors and features. Useless 3rd row. Need to be an acrobat to get in there. Decent power, but not comparable with Fortuner.
5. Jeep Compass - best interiors, great looks. But cramped interiors, reliability issues, atrocious price
6. Crysta - ticks all boxes, except sunroof. Still the best bet in this list

If you want all the practicality, space, reliability and comfort of old Innova, there is nothing else upto 45 lakhs. And you get the added power and great interiors.

Last edited by samm : 6th April 2021 at 19:16.
samm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 20:05   #28
BHPian

I think you should drive and be driven in Hyundai and Kia twins. Its not easy to migrate from body on frame to monocoque chassis IMHO. There is no advice in the world that can beat driving experience. You should take prolonged drives in Hyundai/Kia. We tend to give importance to features or specifications mentioned in brochure but the real thing that matters is the experience we get while riding a vehicle.
Encyclopedic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 21:12   #29
BHPian

Abhinav, apart from your fanboyism, there is no point in buying Seltos and that too as a replacement for Innova, which is itself a blasphemy !

Creta & Seltos are pointless buys unless they replace City, which is not the case.

Why are you not looking at Alcazar ?

With its 1.5 L Diesel Mill , it will perfectly fit your requirement of Fuel Efficient 7 seater a - after all it is a CRDi , though the comfort offered will be a notch below the Toyotas.

But if your requirement is immediate, then only Innova can fill in those shoes .

Next comes the Tata Safari .

I believe MG Hector Plus is one more option you can look at apart from the vehicles from the Maruti
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 21:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the Crysta only.

Safari comes next. But crysta makes better buy inspite of the inflated price tag. The car loses value very slowly and is proven. Safari somehow felt cramped to me. Innova crysta was better in comparison.

Seltos/creta/alcazar, Oh please, those are the cars that hatchback users like to upgrade to. Not for an Innova user. Alcazar may have 3 rows of seating, but then I am sure it can't compete with the crysta in comfort.

And fuel efficiency?! I don't think Innova users don't care much about fuel efficiency. They are happy with 10-12 kmpl. Alcazar may be a little more efficient, but that isn't going to be a deal breaker.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th April 2021 at 21:29.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed