BHPian

Re: Replacement for a 10-year old Toyota Innova

You may check out Mahindra Marazzo.

Pros -
1. Better fuel efficiency
2. Comfort level closer to Innova compared to Ertiga/SUVs
3. Actually wider than Innova with longer wheelbase
4. Costs much less.
5. Parts /servicing should cost less (Owners can comment more on this)

Cons -
1. Smaller Engine
2. Reliability
pradeep_mvpa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 23:06   #32
BHPian

Since you are experienced with pre worshipped cars, why don't you search for a good condition HEXA XTA.

I guess for 15 L , you could get a great car with low mileage on it and would suit all your requirements. I have only heard positive reviews from everyone who I am know personally who use a Hexa
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 00:20   #33
BHPian

Toyota Innova with eyes closed as the replacement of Innova. You will not regret. Current generation Innova Crysta is a upgrade of 2011 Innova in most of the aspects. Go for Innova as replacement of your old Innova and you as well as your family will not regret. I know few who replaced their Innovas with XUV500, Hexa or even Creta and they regretted.
If you owned any other car like Creta, Scorpio Nd looking to replace it with new one, then I would have suggested you Safari. But in current scenario, Innova.
Good Luck

Last edited by Bhalla : 7th April 2021 at 00:23. Reason: Removed extra emoji
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 00:31   #34
BHPian

Hi @carguy1998 it seems you want those korean twins with TC AT's before you catch that flight to abroad. I believe they are the best replacements unless you want to wait for Alcazar, but being hyundai waiting periods gonna be long so it seems only Seltos GTX+ D AT is your only shot to have it delivered earliest. BTW you can check on the diesel Hector plus too but not sure you would like to spend that much moolah on that instead of an Innova GX AT.
Also a silly query since you said missing features like Auto Air Con and Fog lamps you will get fitted from dealership, Is it possible to get/convert manual Aircon to Automatic Aircon from dealership same like available from factory in higher models??
GT007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 01:13   #35

In my views Alcazar is the way to go no doubt.
No product is perfect and it may not feel as robust as Innova but it can offer some other things like supreme refinement of that 1.5 diesel and proper luxury features for that segment.
On one side is again Innova which takes the reliability cake and on the other side is Harrier/Gravitas ( I like to call it) which are well equipped so the middle ground is Alcazar with both sprinkled in one, plus a more robust after sales record. That's my 2 cents on this debate.
DriveShrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 05:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Your dad is right - "Only an Innova can replace an Innova."

Unless your family is keen on downsizing, just buy a Crysta and don't think about anything else for the next 15 years. The only 5 seater crossovers that offer good space and comfort are the CR-V and the Tucson.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 06:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
If AT is not a consideration please give Marazzo a test drive. You will be pleasantly surprised. Is super refined and comfortable. Very fuel efficient as well. Plus it has the highest safety rating of MUVs tested in India. This is the tragedy of Mahindra. That they come up with such a competent vehicle and people are not even considering it as on option.
I wanted to suggest the same. This will be a good VFM option with better FE, lesser cost with comfort and reliability close to innova. However I am not sure on the availability of AT variant.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th April 2021 at 07:32. Reason: Capitalising and removing dotty response.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 06:45   #38
BHPian

I voted for Safari out of the twins as I think it's just as sexy looking as Harrier and is a 7 seater, replacing a 7 seater Innova. IMHO Seltos and Creta are not SUVs, just jacked up cars on steroids, so can't really replace the huge Innova. Yeah, you can always buy the crysta, but it would not look as good, not have as much features as the harrier twins. The 2L Fiat sourced engine is already been doing duty for a lot of years and don't have any niggles. The harrier itself has been there for almost 3 years now, so no more initial niggles. coming to service quality, you can clear this unknown by just visiting the nearby Tata dealer, check with a few customers and see for yourself if they are responsive and courteous. Don't have to strike down the cars just because a few other feel that service quality is bad. I have had very pleasant experience with Tamo for the last few years.
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:45   #39
BHPian

I would suggest Safari XZA(XZA+ if sunroof needed) to replace the Innova. Practical space and able seven seater. FCA 2L diesel is very good and doing duty on multiple cars.

When the time for city replacement comes in, you could consider creta/seltos/HRV/Kushaq/Taigun based on which one fares your requirement. I would recommend to have hybrid/electric if one is available.
tirumalavoleti is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Go for the Crysta.

Looking at prices of the tune of 21 lakhs for Seltos with that puny 1.5L, Innova Crysta looks so much value for money for the sheer hardware. It is only a matter of time before prices shoot up.
Thanks for the suggestions brother! But, the problem with the Crysta is, its overpriced and wanted to change the brand as well this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
You are in a unique situation but with a unique advantage too. Let me explain.

Go ahead and replace your Innova with a Creta/Seltos for now. Try to live with it for let’s say 1-2 years. After that if you feel you can’t do without an Innova, you can replace your Honda City with a Crysta.
Yeah, that's the option which I'm suggesting my dad since long to do the same. But, he might get convinced with the above option as I'm persuading him to get a 5 seater car for now and later, get a 7 seater car for himself after 1-2 years. Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
I have been in your situation. Replaced a 2009 Innova (V) with a 2017 Crysta 2.4 (VX) There is, simply, no other option.

The 2017 Crysta we bought is a pre-owned one since a new one was ridiculously expensive.
That's good to know that you had bought an used Crysta as a replacement for 2009 Innova. Well, we are also in same conundrum and considering a used one due to the same reason you mentioned above along with new Crysta as well but the sad reality is even an used Crysta is expensive in used car market, thanks to its excellent resale value and if purchasing new one doesn't happen, then will look for used one as well.

Anyways, for how much did you purchase the used Crysta and how much it has run at the time of purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
As others have suggested, you are used to Toyota and Innova, anything else will be a bit underwhelming for you. But before that, do you need a 7 seater ? If yes then Alcazar, Ertiga, XL6 can be options other than Innova GX.
If 7 seater is not a must, there are some very nice 5 seater SUVs - Creta, Seltos, SCross, XUV 300, Nexon.
Only thing is before you choose Tata cars, rest assured you will have disappointment coming in from Toyota on the service experiance.
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, we will also look at Alcazar as well!

And, coming to Tata, yes, definitely will miss the Toyota experience if we purchase a Tata vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
If the above are actually your reasons for buying a new car, don't!

Buying a new car will NOT save you money vs. keeping your old Innova.
It will however provide you with a superior, and more comfortable vehicle.

Have done a quick back-of-hand calculation for you. Have attached the excel, so you may change the assumptions I have made.
Thanks for the excel! Will surely consider this option as well but my dad is adamant on selling off the Innova soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPanda View Post
Why don't you consider the Kia Carnival? It would be the ideal upgrade from an Innova, especially if your travel is in metros / highways.
Considered the Kia Carnival as well but the top end is more expensive when compared to the Crysta and I'll get only base model in our budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitchalla View Post
Given your situation and fuel efficiency concerns, replacing the vehicle will not solve anything. Let us assume that you get marginally better FE, spending a lot of money to replace the vehicle is not justifiable.

Secondly, 1.8L KMS on an Innova is not very high. Just do regular servicing and keep the car for as long as you can. That is where you will save the most. You can replace the shocks if the older vehicle's ride quality has deteriorated. Our family has an Innova that has done 5.8L KMS in last 11 years, works like a charm and we have no intention of replacing it.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Thanks for the suggestion and its surprising to know that your 11 year old Innova has 5.8L Kms in 11 years, which speaks a lot about the reliability of the Toyota!

Coming to our Innova, my dad still wanted to keep the present Innova but I'm persuading him to sell it off as the car had met with couple of accidents in 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4Nikunj View Post
Dear Car_guy1998,

I will suggest you get The Innova Crysta.

Not that Tata and Korean twins are bad but considering that you are planning to move abroad and your parents' age a niggle free car is a good choice for their peace of mind and yours too.

Other than that your existing Innova is not at all that old. 178k is nothing for that keeper D4D.

As far as fuel efficiency is concerned, The Innova Crysta will not give too much mileage than your old Innova. Here new car buying cost is not taken into account.

How come your car's maintenance is that high?

Please change your Service center or move to FNG. If possible can you please share your car's service bills for better understanding?
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, 1.78L Kms is nothing for an Innova and can run more if maintained well but we eventually want to let it go due to some reasons.

The high maintenance is due to the car's age and after the purchase of the vehicle, it had met with an accident when the car was taken by the previous owner of the vehicle, who is our close acquaintance as well, as his previous Innova was facing some troubles and hence, he took our Innova to that trip along with their Fortuner, which replaced this Innova which bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
My 2011 Innova GX, run 1.4L kms, returns highway FE of 13-14 kmpl, maintenance cost of about 9-11K (every 10k km). Running on 2nd set of Yokos (225 R15). Unchanged clutch. Going strong.

I'm also looking to replace, and even without budget constraints (upper limit of 50L), I find it difficult to get an alternative to Crysta.

A quick summary below.

Vehicles driven:
1. Harrier - super looks. won't feel the road. Good buy at 20L on road Bangalore. You wouldn't regret. A great 5 seater.
2. Safari - rear is not that great. They shouldn't have tried to have the old 'safari' step roof. Zero boot space. Sunroof is amazing.
3. Fortuner - Powerful monster... Unbeatable looks. You will feel even a small stone on road. Engine roar. Space is decent, interiors could have been more premium looking for the price
4. Endeavor - great interiors and features. Useless 3rd row. Need to be an acrobat to get in there. Decent power, but not comparable with Fortuner.
5. Jeep Compass - best interiors, great looks. But cramped interiors, reliability issues, atrocious price
6. Crysta - ticks all boxes, except sunroof. Still the best bet in this list

If you want all the practicality, space, reliability and comfort of old Innova, there is nothing else upto 45 lakhs. And you get the added power and great interiors.
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, its quite difficult to replace an Innova but to be honest, even a Fortuner is not a worthy replacement for Innova in terms of rear seat comfort and my dad always loathes the Fortuner due to the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedic View Post
I think you should drive and be driven in Hyundai and Kia twins. Its not easy to migrate from body on frame to monocoque chassis IMHO. There is no advice in the world that can beat driving experience. You should take prolonged drives in Hyundai/Kia. We tend to give importance to features or specifications mentioned in brochure but the real thing that matters is the experience we get while riding a vehicle.
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I had TD of both Creta and Seltos and found the suspension of the Seltos is more suited for enthusiastic driving while the suspension of the Creta is more suited for comfort and sedate driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Abhinav, apart from your fanboyism, there is no point in buying Seltos and that too as a replacement for Innova, which is itself a blasphemy !

Creta & Seltos are pointless buys unless they replace City, which is not the case.

Why are you not looking at Alcazar ?

With its 1.5 L Diesel Mill , it will perfectly fit your requirement of Fuel Efficient 7 seater a - after all it is a CRDi , though the comfort offered will be a notch below the Toyotas.

But if your requirement is immediate, then only Innova can fill in those shoes .

Next comes the Tata Safari .

I believe MG Hector Plus is one more option you can look at apart from the vehicles from the Maruti
Thanks for the suggestions Manas! Yeah, replacing the Innova with the Seltos is blasphemy and the Seltos is more suited as the replacement for the Honda City after doing a TD. But, the plan is to get the Seltos or Creta as the replacement of the Innova and later on, will replace the City with Crysta only if my dad doesn't get satisfied with the crossovers in terms of seating.

Yes, will definitely look for the Alcazar as well before looking at the Creta/Seltos twins and Innova Crysta and we are not in hurry as well.

Coming to MG, the new facelifted one seemed to look good but dad doesn't want to purchase a Chinese product.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 21:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Manas! Yeah, replacing the Innova with the Seltos is blasphemy and the Seltos is more suited as the replacement for the Honda City after doing a TD. But, the plan is to get the Seltos or Creta as the replacement of the Innova and later on, will replace the City with Crysta only if my dad doesn't get satisfied with the crossovers in terms of seating.
Your dad certainly doesn't want to downsize. Why make him feel uncomfortable? If you buy a Seltos, I can say with certainty that you'll end up selling the City in a few months. I'd suggest pushing the replacing the City to a much later date buy a good Innova Crysta to replace the Innova in your garage.

One has to live with the trade-off space and comfort for FE, especially when considering looking at big cars. So, the roominess of an Innova will give you low FE and smaller & relatively cramped Seltos will give you better FE.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 09:18   #42
BHPian

from the posts above, I can see you are OK to consider a used Innova Crysta. I will give my inputs as I picked up one at Chennai from Toyota UTrust at the end of 2020

Model - 2016, Single Owner
Z MT, Pearl White
48000 Kms run
Including 5 pretty new Michellin Primacy 4 tyres
50000 kms service completed by Toyota
One year Toyota UTrust Warranty
17L

As you know, this is the top end car and it was extremely well maintained and it drives beautifully. I am getting 14 Kmpl on this MT car and the manual is pretty easy to drive.
While it is considered expensive even in the used car market, following was the math and i was OK considering all other positives of this car and Toyota
OTR for this car during 2016 - 24.0L, so, it has depreciated 7.0L approx
OTR for this car now is 28.0L, so, I did not pay 11L more for a new one

Look for a well kept V or Z model and you won't go wrong with it even if it is slightly expensive compared to other brands in the used car market.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:35   #43
BHPian

Replacing cars like Innova or Hexa is never an easy task. I have voted for Toyota Innova Crysta VX MT/GX AT in your case, even though my personal choice would be Tata Safari XZA+. I did not vote for Safari here since you are concerned with the maintenance cost of the car. If an Innova keeps you bothered, TATA might keep you engaged. But I strongly feel that the TATA SAFARI is a well-tested car and is built to last. It has gone through a decent amount of polishing in the HARRIER form as we all know. Pay a visit and evaluate the quality of the nearest TATA A.S.S, test drive the car with your family and do the calculations. Also, current TATA cars are holding their resale value so well. Even the discontinued HEXAs don't come cheap!

One thing to suggest regarding your concern about higher fuel bills is, sorry you won't be benefitting much in this regard even if you get a newer car. The only way to bring down your fuel bill is by picking up a lower-segment diesel car with an engine size of 1.4-1.5L, which I won't recommend.

Last edited by kamilharis : 8th April 2021 at 11:37.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 20:04   #44
BHPian

I'm in the same boat as the OP. We have a 2015 Innova Z MT, I never really liked the car as I find it cheap and somewhat outdated. I want to get a Safari as a replacement but people who test drove it find it less spacious (obviously compared to an Innova), but I was surprised they generally found it less spacious in the 2nd row (we're a family of 6 footers). The other option is a Kia Carnival, but knowing the new model is on sale in other markets I hesitate to buy it, plus I don't like the seat configuration in higher models and I like the base 8 seater but it misses out on features. The current Innova also feels cheap and the mechanicals are from a decade ago. Safari checks all the boxes for me, barring the while/beige seats. I think it's a steal for that price (21L ex).
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 00:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
from the posts above, I can see you are OK to consider a used Innova Crysta. I will give my inputs as I picked up one at Chennai from Toyota UTrust at the end of 2020

Model - 2016, Single Owner
Z MT, Pearl White
48000 Kms run
Including 5 pretty new Michellin Primacy 4 tyres
50000 kms service completed by Toyota
One year Toyota UTrust Warranty
17L

As you know, this is the top end car and it was extremely well maintained and it drives beautifully. I am getting 14 Kmpl on this MT car and the manual is pretty easy to drive.
While it is considered expensive even in the used car market, following was the math and i was OK considering all other positives of this car and Toyota
OTR for this car during 2016 - 24.0L, so, it has depreciated 7.0L approx
OTR for this car now is 28.0L, so, I did not pay 11L more for a new one

Look for a well kept V or Z model and you won't go wrong with it even if it is slightly expensive compared to other brands in the used car market.

Swami
Thanks for the suggestions sir. Will be keeping an eye on a used Innova Crysta as well and Rs.17L for a less than 50K Kms run specimen seems to be a good value and that too a Z MT. Here in Hyderabad, most of the Crystas of similar year, which has run more than a lakh Kms costs more than what you paid.

Was looking at a 2018 manufactured, 2019 registered Crysta Z MT, which has run less than 10K Kms and its a company used vehicle btw and the seller is quoting Rs.24L and new one costs Rs.28.5L.

And, I've seen a 2019 manufactured, 2020 registered Crysta VX as well, which has run less than 10K Kms and asking price is Rs.23L and the same version albeit 2021 version costs close to Rs.27L on-road Hyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Replacing cars like Innova or Hexa is never an easy task. I have voted for Toyota Innova Crysta VX MT/GX AT in your case, even though my personal choice would be Tata Safari XZA+. I did not vote for Safari here since you are concerned with the maintenance cost of the car. If an Innova keeps you bothered, TATA might keep you engaged. But I strongly feel that the TATA SAFARI is a well-tested car and is built to last. It has gone through a decent amount of polishing in the HARRIER form as we all know. Pay a visit and evaluate the quality of the nearest TATA A.S.S, test drive the car with your family and do the calculations. Also, current TATA cars are holding their resale value so well. Even the discontinued HEXAs don't come cheap!

One thing to suggest regarding your concern about higher fuel bills is, sorry you won't be benefitting much in this regard even if you get a newer car. The only way to bring down your fuel bill is by picking up a lower-segment diesel car with an engine size of 1.4-1.5L, which I won't recommend.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have TD'ed the Safari AT today in the afternoon and I was impressed with its engine and I've felt the body roll is less as well.

And, to be honest, I would pick the Harrier Dark Edition over the Safari as I like the menacing looks of Harrier in Black colour but I loved the side profile of the Safari and it looks like Mercedes GLS from rear IMO. Only if Tata launches Dark Edition in Safari (yeah, the Safari looks like a beast in black), I would buy it eyes closed.

Anyways, I had TD'ed the Safari AT, which was short and sweet TD and here are my observations after the TD of Safari:

1. Firstly, I was impressed with engine performance and it has great pull as well and the 6 speed AT transmission is also tuned well

2. The steering felt bit heavy while taking U-turns but not an issue as we are coming from an Innova, which also has huge turning radius as well

3. The car's suspension is well tuned for the comfort and didn't feel any body roll while overtaking and the suspension felt stable as well

4. The rear seat comfort is good and its in the leagues of Innova in terms of comfort and with the panoramic sunroof, it will be airy for the rear passengers

Overall, I liked the drive of the Safari and if I want to pick between the Safari and Innova Crysta, I'll pick up the Safari Adventure Persona just for panoramic sunroof, engine performance and looks and VFM than Innova Crysta though I get VX MT at the same price.

And, I had a TD of Innova Crysta MT few days ago as well. It was a brand new vehicle and the odo was around 250 Kms at the time of TD.

But, even after driving the Safari and the Innova Crysta, my heart is still set on the Harrier due to its menacing looks in black colour.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks