Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 19th April 2021, 08:33   #16
BHPian

Default Re: What car for under 14 lakhs ex-showroom?

Apropos of this news (Rumour: Maruti Ertiga & XL6 to gain new features (including 6 airbags)), I am not sure if I can consider Maruti cars anymore! Hope the additional airbags are introduced before July...
Old 19th April 2021, 09:30   #17
BHPian

I would suggest you the Nexon EV for the below reasons :

- Made exactly for your usage patterns
- Novelty factor
- Tax benefits ( not very sure for Karnataka)
- Easy to drive around for anyone
- Decent creature comforts
- The fact that you don't mind renting for the occasional long drives
Sk8r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Since you are open to manual cars, buy the City in the manual version. Will help to manage budget!

Test drive the CVT before you even consider it, coming from an enthusiasts Baleno, you may hate it (I did and sold off the car within a year).
Old 19th April 2021, 10:24   #19
BHPian

Hi,
I spent time offs last year during lockdown by giving test drives on cars ranging in 14 Lakhs segment. Since I can see you need a petrol automatic, you may consider Venue / Sonet. But request you to check Duster Turbo Petrol and I am sure you will not regret. Though automatic will be around 17 Lakhs in Bangalore, you can check the manual too.

From diesel manuals I liked Freestyle which is still VFM albeit missing some key features like LED headlamps. XUV300 is also a strong contender and they might be ready to give you a good deal after a proper bargain.

Thanks,
livetodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:33   #20
BHPian

I would suggest test drive Ecosport AT that should be a good choice in your budget. Ecosport AT will give you a mileage between 8 to 9.5 kmpl in the city. The only negative side compared to Honda city is rear seat leg space otherwise it is a great car to drive.

The other option can be Kushaq. Whatever I have read online and from Zac Hollis tweets the deliveries of Kushaq should start by end of June or early July. They will reveal the prices sometime in May and start accepting bookings. In your budget you will definitely get the 1.0 TSI AT Kushaq. You can try your luck that time since this will fall in Jul-Aug 2021 window. Also from the prototype Kushaq test drives all have said 1.0 TSI is a great engine to drive.
Old 19th April 2021, 10:41   #21
BHPian

Have you considered cars like the Altroz, Nexon and the XUV300? All are very well built, safe and should be easy to maintain on the pocket too. Altroz turbo would be a fun to drive car given your limited city runs. I would also suggest the XUV for your outstation trips, but if you need a very large boot, it will be ruled out. The build quality and safety ratings are the best in class.
Old 19th April 2021, 11:33   #22
BHPian

I would recommend the following (1st 3 are in priority order) in your budget:

1. Honda City VX CVT
2. S-Cross
3. XL6
4. Jazz CVT
5. Nexon Diesel AMT
6. XUV 300 Diesel Top end AMT

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 19th April 2021 at 11:34. Reason: Formatting
Old 19th April 2021, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Although you will get plenty of advise on what to buy, I'm gonna suggest you NOT to consider the POLO for the sake of your youngsters who will occupy the rear seat. CLAUSTROPHOBIA is the address of that place.
Rapid/ Vento are alright but not great on the rear legroom. The Honda City and Tata Nexon gets a thumbs up on the space aspect, but I don't know how suitable it will be for long journeys. Owners would be better placed to comment on it. The Ciaz is also decently built but I'm not sure it will help you maneuver in Electronic City/ Bangalore traffic.
bhargav2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 13:01   #24
BHPian

Being a owner of a Honda City, I can suggest City by all means. Seltos could is a polar opposite choice in terms of GC and riding comfort. Either of them should serve you well.
Old 19th April 2021, 13:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post

While there checked out Amaze and Aura too. Wife was going full blown VFM route comparing them with Jazz/i20. But Amaze's CVT offering stops at the mid variant with not much creature comforts.
Strange that you say that - You mean there is no "Z/Zx" variant of the Amaze? The VX is OK- kitted - but does miss out on rear head rests, LED lighting, DRLs, front arm rest - can't think of anything else . But then, this was meant to play in the 8-10L segment (where it is already more expensive than the equivalent sedan competition)
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 13:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Honda City is a good option. But for 4 people, why not a Nexon or an Ecosport? No worries about scraping, they both get very capable 1.5 diesel mills that are quite frugal too. They both fall a couple of lakhs cheaper from your budget too, even in their top of the line variants.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th April 2021 at 13:52.
Old 19th April 2021, 14:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Strange that you say that - You mean there is no "Z/Zx" variant of the Amaze? The VX is OK- kitted - but does miss out on rear head rests, LED lighting, DRLs, front arm rest - can't think of anything else . But then, this was meant to play in the 8-10L segment (where it is already more expensive than the equivalent sedan competition)
There's some confusion here. The price list sheet that the dealer gave lists the price of a top-end Amaze with CVT (VX, I think). But the brochure lists only a V CVT and a VX MT.
Old 19th April 2021, 14:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
There's some confusion here. The price list sheet that the dealer gave lists the price of a top-end Amaze with CVT (VX, I think). But the brochure lists only a V CVT and a VX MT.
Go with the price list - you may have got an outdated brochure (and the CVT was indeed limited to the V variant, some time back)
But the VX CVT is definitely present and I can vouch for its existence. [it does lose out on cruise control as compared to the MT (don't ask me why)
kedar_GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 15:00   #29
BHPian

What about the Magnite CVT? Smooth transmission, good ground clearance, 4* safety rating...

Other than the waiting period, it has a lot going for it.

I'd second the XUV300 as well. Drove it on a typical Bengaluru side road and felt the difference from all other vehicles.
Old 19th April 2021, 15:13   #30
BHPian

Hi sramanat,
Since you have mentioned that you have used a Ford Ecosport, why not check out a brand new Titanium+ AT. It is well-loaded and has necessary safety features too. The price is also well within your budget I believe.

Some other suggestions from my side (In no order of preference):
1. Honda City VX CVT
2. Nissan Magnite XV Premium CVT
3. Suzuki S-Cross AT
4. Honda Jazz CVT top end
5. Hyundai i20 Asta CVT
6. Hyundai Creta SX manual (even though it is not an automatic, it is still a good option in terms of space and features)
Shiftlock is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed