Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 19:40   #31
BHPian

Re: What car for under 14 lakhs ex-showroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The V variant (below VX) is also decently equipped and might fit well into your budget. The variant however has only 4 airbags in comparison to VX & ZX (Both 6). However all other safety features are present as in the higher models.
I second this suggestion too. Recently a friend of mine has booked the new city V (CVT) in Bangalore. I think is the most VFM pick and very generously equipped for a base variant, unlike those penny pinching OEMs. If you are okay with manual shift (that buttery smooth and perfect throws!), a VX manual costs almost the same as V CVT variant. Depends on your usage and driving style, you could choose between the 2 variants.

PS: TrackDay, Friend booked the same colour as your Athena. Nice review mate!

Last edited by carthick1000 : 19th April 2021 at 19:45.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 23:04   #32
BHPian

Skoda Rapid Onyx. Nothing else is as VFM in that budget
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 00:22   #33
BHPian

Do check out the Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo CVT. It has almost everything, but if you can bear the spartan interiors and exteriors, you'd love the way the CVT drives. Take a test drive and then decide from amongst the other suggestions that our fellow TBHP'ians have given here.

Happy hunting!
Old 20th April 2021, 11:04   #34
BHPian

If you are considering a Jazz, the WRV may also work. It is amazingly roomy and the ride quality is superb for in-city usage. The diesel, if considered is super frugal engine in WRV.

The ecosport ride quality is rather harsh over city roads and humps. I would avoid an ecosport.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 12:17   #35
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for Honda City MT as it comes within your budget of Rs.14L ex-showroom.

My second suggestion is to go for Skoda Rapid MT only if you are able to deal with the Skoda A.S.S and you will be getting good deals on the Rapid as well.

If you are considering C-SUV's, I suggest you to go for Ecosport Diesel MT if you love MT and Sonet Diesel AT if you want Diesel AT as AMT transmission in Nexon and XUV300 cannot hold the candle in front of Sonet's Diesel+6 speed TC AT combo. The only grouse in these C-SUV's is rear seat space. My mom found the rear seat space of the Nexon poor when compared to our Honda City in terms of rear seat comfort and space.

Me also in the same conundrum whether to replace our 4th gen Honda City Diesel with 5th gen City Petrol albeit CVT or Rapid TSI AT or Sonet Diesel AT (loved that Diesel+6 speed AT combo) or Polo GT TSI in the near future as it has run more than 1 lakh Kms and our monthly running might get reduced as I've plans of moving abroad and the car will be driven by mom to her workplace, which will get reduced to 10-12 Kms per day from 25 Kms per day in another few months as her workplace will be near to our newly constructed house.

And, to be honest, I still love sedans and still prefer them over so-called C-SUV's and crossovers due to driving dynamics.
car_guy1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
If you are considering a Jazz, the WRV may also work. It is amazingly roomy and the ride quality is superb for in-city usage. The diesel, if considered is super frugal engine in WRV.

The ecosport ride quality is rather harsh over city roads and humps. I would avoid an ecosport.
While the ride quality may not be as plush as the WRV, it can be bettered by change of tires. Having driven the WRV and Ecosport extensively in the city and on highway runs, Ecosport feels a lot more planted and fun to drive (esp the 1.5 diesel). I guess it’s a choice to make between ride vs handling, all I’m saying is the ride isn’t AS BAD as some may lead you to believe.
Old 21st April 2021, 12:19   #37
BHPian

If you’re in Whitefield, a well-sprung ride would be high on my list of priorities. The roads have become an absolute minefield (was driving there every day house hunting a few months ago in a Celerio and my back really felt it) and look like they will continue to be so for the next few years what with the pace of metro construction and Corona. All told, for the traffic and roads and the potential scrapes and blah blah I think a Maruti would be best suited. I’d definitely consider the S Cross. I know the 4 speed automatic isn’t very exciting but I don’t think you’re going to be putting the pedal to the metal too often in those parts tbh and it’s a proven, dependable gearbox in a car/crossover with decent clearance and build quality. The Ciaz is also a nice package - amazing for the price, and I’d drive both and see which works better for me. I’d probably pick the former. I’d definitely pick both of them over the XL6 which has more seats but (IMO) isn’t as well put together, unless I really really needed the extra seating. Fwiw the back seat of the Ciaz is very spacious - enough to seat 3 adults comfortably.

The Duster too would work, as would it’s siblings of different avatars, depending on your finickyness about the interiors. I’d take it for the ride quality any day.

Kia/Hyundai I personally refuse to touch until they show commitment to getting their braking issues sorted (they refuse to even acknowledge it now).

Honda - love the cars but might be slightly lower on the GC for Whitefield commuting tbh. Test drive them hard on those roads and see. I’d pick the City but I’m sure the Jazz is a decent package too.

Have you considered the XUV500? Might be a bit above your budget and a smidge long in the tooth but ticks all the boxes otherwise. For someone who isn’t doing 30-40k a year, I’m sure it’ll do service for a long time.

Since you keep your cars for a long time I’d say avoid an AMT altogether.

And yes, I wouldn’t wait any longer. With the combo of your lease window and inconsistent supply of semi conductors disrupting car deliveries, there’s no telling how long things might get delayed.

Cheers,
Old 21st April 2021, 17:52   #38
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

From my limited experience, either Honda City CVT or Ford Ecosport AT. You can't go wrong with either. Also, do check out the Vento. Fantastic little thing.
Old 21st April 2021, 18:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

The safest best here is the Honda City CVT. No nonsense car and oodles of space.

And just for fun, take TD of the Rapid AT. Just to check what you are missing out on. Skoda ASS is leagues better now and the Bangalore Skoda owners seem to giving more positive than negative feedback nowadays.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 21:44   #40

I was in a similar situation. I recently bought a WRV. Given I also live in Bangalore I will strongly suggest to go for an automatic. I don't find the gear box of Honda to be the smoothest. My suggestion would be Xuv 300 > Venue > Jazz. An absolute no to Baleno. You may find Venue a little compact if you are a tall person like me. Similar thoughts on paying tax for vehicles beyond 4m length. Don't see the point in spending 1/1.5 L for 30 cm more.
cryptex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 08:23   #41

May I recommend the Verna Turbo DCT. Slightly less spacious than the Honda; but shouldn't be a deal-breaker since you have been considering the i20 and Polo. The only real downside is the (relatively) less GC but shouldn't pose much of a problem since you won't be taking her off-road (No matter how dug up, Whitefield roads don't count). The Verna (imho) more than makes up for these pitfalls by having every other feature you can imagine including 6 airbags, a sunroof, ventilated seats and a Turbo - DCT combo which should help stave off the pangs for an upgrade 5-10 years down the line.

Plan B - Go for either the Sonet or the Venue depending on which way your design sensibilities lean. You also save a bit on tax here since these are sub 4m. I personally prefer the Venue but the automatic doesn't come in the top variant viz. SX(O). I suspect that if it did, then the waiting period for the Creta would be significantly lesser. But make no mistake, both of these are hatchbacks on stilts, and their sticker prices not withstanding, they will technically be a downgrade from your "original" Baleno.
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:04   #42

Seeing all the options you have posted, Honda City will be a good choice and since you keep your cars for so long, it will be a reliable no-nonsense daily driver.

You can skip Baleno as it will only disappoint you with its build quality.

i20 and Jazz are fine and you can check them out. Polo has no rear space although the car is good. i20 has more space inside than a Venue!

Why don't you check XUV 300 and Ford Ecosport? Good build quality and the cars are reliable too.
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:50   #43
BHPian

Exactly in similar situation as you , want a replacement for my ageing 8yrs old Amaze and no matter how i look a replacement is either too expensive or a compromise.
I have a few musts(Autobox, Climate control, cruise...) and that list does not come cheap
While i find it extremely annoying to pay 1-2L more for 30-40 cm of space considering current C segment on offer, meaningful CSUV(barring ecosport) and SUV are that much further more ahead.
I want to buy a well sold unit with goodies loaded to gills ,this might be the last ICE car that i will own , and that i keep cars for long dont want to feel outdated soon.
As many suggested above City seems a logical choice and an upgrade, will start test drives soon(after the second wave passes).
Old 25th April 2021, 00:13   #44

I am young but if I was one of your children and inherited some of your auto enthusiast genes I would wish you went for the Polo.

Maybe the GT or HighLine Plus variant as an AT. Yes in 3-4 years seating might be a bit tight but it would be a convenient companion for both city and highway usage.

The new Torque Converter should be pretty reliable along with the 1.0 TSI which will make you forget the cars small flaws every time you press down on the pedal. It’s a mainstay for VW global and parts shouldn’t be an issue in the future.

Plus hopefully few years down the line when your children are older you can hand this down to them! An easy to drive, fun and SAFE car while you save up and upgrade to something you deserve for your years of hard work.

Let your kids enjoy possibly one last turbo ICE before the age of electrics sets in as the new normal.
Old 26th April 2021, 17:08   #45
rpm
BHPian

It is nice to see a push for crash worthy cars in a lot of the suggestions given here by BHPians, but I do not think it serves the purpose of what is being asked by the OP here. Nowhere has the OP specifically asked for the crash rating aspect of safety to be included in the judging criteria, therefore, it may be better to suggest cars keeping that factor aside.

There has been some conversation by the OP which hints at the number of airbags being somewhat relevant, but that too, is not specifically listed as a requirement in the opening post.

Worst case scenario, it may deter the OP from freely posting about their purchase here, seeing the overwhelming push for something that is not integral to their decision making process.

If the OP has mentioned that the crash rating aspect of safety be included in the decision making process, then I would like to apologise for typing out this irrelevant post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks