Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2021, 16:14   #1
BHPian

Which pre-owned car for 4 adults and a growing kid?

Hi All,

I am looking for Pre-Owned car for quite some time. I currently own a Grand i10 Petrol Asta(O) and it has served us just well for over 6 years now. The current ODO is at ~110000 Kms. For last 6 years i live in Chennai for my job and the car is primarily used in my native. Hence I am thinking in two ways.
  1. The pre-owned machine would replace the Grand i10. And the Grand i10 can be driven in Chennai, as i am averse to get a big car due to traffic hassles.
  2. Pre-owned one could be used in Chennai as i am vary of maintaining a pre-owned car in a tier-2 city.
Requirements are as follows.
  1. Budget of around 6 - 7 Lakhs
  2. Seat 4 Adults and growing kid (6+ years) comfortably.
  3. Good build quality and Safety
  4. Comfort should be top notch as it would be used by elders as well.
  5. Large enough boot space for 5.
  6. More power than 1.2 Petrol (~Read Torquey Diesel~) for occasional spirited driving by me.
  7. Usage could be around 15K Kms per year.
  8. No-Nonsense maintenance even if i am not around in the same place
Shortlists:

Maruti S-Cross Alpha 1.6:
  • European build and manners.
  • Torquey diesel should bring smiles.
  • Width make it easier for 5 Adults to sit.
  • Reliable maintenance from Maruti even in tier-2 cities.
Skoda Yeti:
  • Very much VFM for what Yeti offers
  • Meets most of the criteria excluding the maintenance part
  • Hard to find facelifted ones in pre-owned arena
Volkswagen Jetta:
  • Solid machine all around
  • Manual Diesel preferred as AT could be hard to maintain
  • If maintained well, it should serve for long time
  • Mostly finding 2011/2012 models at the price range mentioned
Other shortlists could be Ecosport / XUV300 but i am unable to convince myself on the asking prices for them. From the choices above, S-Cross fits all the criteria expecially from the maintenance criteria. For Skoda / VW, we may need a reliable FNG and so it can only be maintained in Chennai. Also due to covid and restrictions, it is not very easy to look at and test drive the cars as well so going little slower on the purchase. Looking forward to your suggestions.

---
Sukumar
niceguisuku is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 18:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which pre-owned car for 4 adults and a growing kid?

Mass Market cars like the Honda City are available aplenty. The petrol motor is still pretty good to drive and superbly reliable. Servicing is also not an issue.

If you do end up finding a S-Cross 1.6, do check whether your family will be comfortable with the amount of legroom it offers.

Cars like the Ford Aspire and newer Amaze should also make it to your list. I'd personally stay away from used VAG products until you know the complete history of the car itself. Not considering the Creta because of the brake fail issues. Some well maintained Verma's can also make sense in your case.
akash_v12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 18:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguisuku View Post
Hi All,

Requirements are as follows.
  1. Budget of around 6 - 7 Lakhs
  2. Seat 4 Adults and growing kid (6+ years) comfortably.
  3. Good build quality and Safety
  4. Comfort should be top notch as it would be used by elders as well.
  5. Large enough boot space for 5.
  6. More power than 1.2 Petrol (~Read Torquey Diesel~) for occasional spirited driving by me.
  7. Usage could be around 15K Kms per year.
  8. No-Nonsense maintenance even if i am not around in the same place
It is hard to find a well maintained S-Cross 1.6, and the ones you find would be quoted high, while you are looking out for the S-Cross 1.6, also check out Rapid or Vento, both you will get 2015/16 models for your budget, you will not go wrong with diesel+manual variant.

I would say avoid Skoda Yeti. Even I did try to get one, but its hardly available for sale and those which are on sale are with 1 lac+ ODO.
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 19:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A well maintained S Cross 1.6 is a rare find. The Yeti and Jetta are too old to be considered. Will be a nightmare to maintain in case anything goes wrong. Given the limited budget, your best option is the Tata Nexon. Spacious, safe, comfortable, well equipped, rugged and reliable and has a very good diesel option. Go for the manual, avoid the jerky AMT. XUV300 has a tiny boot. An alternate option can be the Honda Amaze. While the build, ride and handling are not even close to the Nexon, it is a most frugal car to run. Try and find the diesel CVT variant, even if you have to stretch your budget a bit. It is pretty good to drive.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 22:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The S Cross is a great option to be honest and would be on the top of the list.

I'd avoid the yeti & Jetta as examples would be quite old: while the engine is reliable you could face other wear and tear issues (rubber parts, suspension, etc.).

Truth be told, I would also look long and hard at the Skoda Rapid / VW Vento as well : the 1.5TDi MT. You may get one with active warranty on your budget and the size, etc would be perfect for daily driving. If you can stretch for a new TSi, it could be a very good option.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 23:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Truth be told, I would also look long and hard at the Skoda Rapid / VW Vento as well : the 1.5TDi MT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
An alternate option can be the Honda Amaze. While the build, ride and handling are not even close to the Nexon, it is a most frugal car to run. Try and find the diesel CVT variant, even if you have to stretch your budget a bit. It is pretty good to drive.
Though i would agree to suggestions based on other criteria, at least on OLX or in our T-BHP classifieds, i could not find these on my budget. Good ones are over 8L.
Old 27th May 2021, 23:37   #7
BHPian

If you go with Honda City, it is one with reliable engine and loads of space, but Elantra would beat all. I was not certain that in 6 lakhs one could get an Elantra Diesel AT but one Kolkata BHPian has got such a deal (My experience with a pre-owned Hyundai Elantra 1.6 Diesel AT).

Honda Amaze and Suzuki DZire are two other options which you may get new or almost new in your budget.

The other option I would urge you to consider is a Renault Triber for the value for money it brings and will be new in your budget but the only thing is not having Diesel.

Last edited by haisaikat : 27th May 2021 at 23:38.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 23:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguisuku View Post
Though i would agree to suggestions based on other criteria, at least on OLX or in our T-BHP classifieds, i could not find these on my budget. Good ones are over 8L.
Do a search for these cars on carwale & OLX as well, with the area set as TN instead of just Chennai.

I saw a few examples, but they were 2015/2016 examples of the Vento / Rapid.
Resale values are surprisingly high!

Other interesting options I came across for a fun car was the Figo Aspire, and even the facelift S Cross 1.3 (which would be easier to maintain given its probably the most sold engine in India + difficult to find a good 1.6.
The Honda City is another option you can look at but more biased towards comfort than driving pleasure (soft suspension, linear engine, etc.).

If you're open to petrol, I saw a Vento Highline 1.6 with an apparent 5000km on the odo, but I would try and squeeze in a new Rapid Rider at the ₹1L premium : explosive TSi engine, 4/6 year warranty & you wouldn't incur much on routine wear and tear related maintenance (new tyres, new suspension, new brakes, etc.) - saving you money in the long run.
The car misses out on a few nice to have features, but they can be added over the course of ownership (Alloys, seat covers, etc.).

Last edited by lamborghini : 27th May 2021 at 23:54.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 23:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

A pre-owned 1.6 is very rare to find. The only time one such came up for discussion in Whatsapp group I was in, the selling price was around 8.5 lakhs. This must be a year back. I'd suggest a 1.3 if you aren't an enthusiastic driver. I own one and I drove an Corolla 1.8L petrol AT before this. 4+1 is an easy fit.

Pre-owned Jetta/Yeti with acceptable miles are even rarer. I was in this situation 4 years back, the car I saw listed in hordes was the City. If its rear space is acceptable to you and your family, you will find innumerable examples at every budget.

Unless you are going for an XUV, Innova or Hexa I don't think you should really be bothered about about the dimensions. The length hardly makes a difference on the move. For parking you'll get used to it very easily. There isn't much to choose in terms of width. Keep tabs of RVMs and vehicles entering/exiting blind spots you can drive any vehicle. This is what saved my skin driving a 4500 mm vehicle after being car-less for 5 years. For a driver in touch, its really not a big deal.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 10:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which pre-owned car for 4 adults and a growing kid?

It might be worth looking at the Ertiga.

Even if the fifth passenger is a child, cars are generally not wide enough to seat three abreast. A third row with split seats gives you a lot of flexibility and will be a lot more comfortable. Bit of a compromise on the build quality but otherwise, it suits your requirements very well.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:22   #11
BHPian

Would vote only for the Scross. Any engine option should work for you. Its apt for your requirement.

Used 1.6 are rare and they are priced at a premium. It would fit perfectly for luggage hauling on highways. You'll find the 1.3 running out of juice on highways with load. The 1.3 is mighty fuel efficient and city driving is a breeze due to lighter clutch (as compared to 1.6) and chuckable engine.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:58   #12
BHPian

You should comfortably get a Mobilio or BRV in your budget. Both are decent cars which satisfy all your requirements of being frugal, reliable, spacious and comfortable.

Also they'll have two extra seats and a much better boot space so you are covered for the future as well. Maintaining it shouldn't be a problem either even in a tier 2 city. Infact, if anything you'll receive better service there. I think the option 1 of driving the i10 in Chennai and buying this in your native should be preferred

These models being flops in the market will also have low resale value which you can use to your advantage in this situation. Also spares shouldn't be much or a problem either because the power train is shared with the city and amaze and rest of the parts are mostly shared with the brio twins. The 1.5 idtec can last lakhs of kms and is a gas sipper with it giving 20kmpl regularly on highways

Another alternative is the Ertiga which is a very sorted car too. It's just that the resale on them is too good. Infact only second to the Innova I'd say and for that reason, I don't think it makes sense buying one used. You'll anyways only get high run examples in your budget

Last edited by sodapop : 28th May 2021 at 13:01.
sodapop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 13:40   #13
BHPian

[*]Budget of around 6 - 7 Lakhs[*]Seat 4 Adults and growing kid (6+ years) comfortably.[*]Good build quality and Safety[*]Comfort should be top notch as it would be used by elders as well.[*]Large enough boot space for 5.[*]More power than 1.2 Petrol (~Read Torquey Diesel~) for occasional spirited driving by me.[*]Usage could be around 15K Kms per year.[*]No-Nonsense maintenance even if i am not around in the same place

Do have a look at the Honda Jazz / Honda City i-Dtecs. You can get 50k kms run examples in your budget. They are spacious, have good glass area, a huge boot and the ride quality is also good. Typical Honda maintenance, easy availablity of parts and reliable.

I would say, avoid the VAGs as used cars. If luck doesn't favour you, you'll end up sitting in the service centre for the most part.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN
vaish9925 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Could check out the Hyundai Creta pre-facelift SX(O) with 6 airbags as well. A good example can be available around ₹10-11Lakh. It may not be as FTD like the S-Cross but the 1.6L CRDi is punchy no doubt.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:34   #15
BHPian

You can consider S-cross 1.3/1.6 as both the engines are good and the car is pretty spacious. A rare maruti which is safe. 1.6 is a very rare find but if you get it, it's an absolute blast.

EcoSport diesel if you want a fun to drive car without burning a hole in you pocket. The petrol Ecosport will burn a hole for fuel only. But in Chennai the prices are way lesser than Bangalore used car market.

Honda City can also be considered and will fall within your budget.

Toyota Yaris can also be added as it's comfortable and spacious.

Duster and Terrano are also good choices and You can get AWD duster for about 8 lakh. Very spacious cars though. Only downside is they're too old for today's generation and the interiors are almost 2 decades old.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks