Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2021, 13:46   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Best car to drive to the Himalayas?

I had been to Ladakh in Swift Diesel, though I didn't face any technical issues.
Under body scrapping is usual, bumper was damaged.
This was in 2009, when the road were poor, in fact some patches didn't have any road.
Best car to drive to the Himalayas?-dsc_0092.jpg

I again visited Ladakh in a Pajero Sport and I must admit, the Pajero does wonders. It makes it seem so easy.
Best car to drive to the Himalayas?-dsc_0100.jpg
satchit_bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 13:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also consider new ones like the upcoming XUV500 AWD and next-gen Tucson AWD. Their launch isn't too far away. The regular Compass 4x4 will do for you, if you don't want to splurge on the overpriced TrailHawk.
Dear GTO, I too find myself in the same quandary as the OP.

While XUV700 AWD one year down the line makes sense, but I am not sure if I can wait for that long.

Compass 4x4 seems great for the Himalayas and its smaller size actually works in its favor in the mountains. However, lack of space for 3 adults in the backseat of Compass is a bummer.

Coming to Tucson, I am not a fan of the looks of next-gen Tucson. It will most likely command a substantial premium over the current Tucson prices. Combined with hopefully good year-end discounts, it makes sense to consider the current Tucson too. However, given Tucson's low ground clearance, does Tucson make sense for regular Himalayan trips?
Old 16th March 2022, 12:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Maruti Alto 800 remains the most popular choice among entire Himalayas. There must be a reason for it.
Alturas G4 is very wide and some of the roads simply wont allow it to pass in oncoming traffic. If you want the go anywhere capability choose a vehicle which is
1. Not too wide
2. Has reasonable high GC.

You need nothing more.

Alto was my first car way back in 2005. Loved this car.
Now i need another small car for long trip in bad terrains in Himalayas. I used to have an old Zen which I have used a lot in very very bad terrains, stretches with no roads in the Himalayas.. But now its come to an end of life.

What other powerful, narrow and small car can I buy now other than Alto?
Old 16th March 2022, 13:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
I had been to Ladakh in Swift Diesel, though I didn't face any technical issues.
Attachment 2168455
Did you drive straight into Pangong Tso for that photo? Please don't do this regardless of what vehicle you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
S-presso and Ignis should fit the bill, though they aren't exactly powerful.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:14   #50
BHPian

Quote:
S-presso and Ignis should fit the bill, though they aren't exactly powerful.
My Personal experience with Ignis on a trip to Manali in 2019 was pretty bad.. The three month old Ignis heated up. We had to stop to cool it down and replace the coolants while my 14 year old Zen was able to do it without a sweat.

I am seriously considering S-presso. But TBhp reviews wrt its NVH, Highway driveabilty and Safety is definitely a cause of concern.

Last edited by recker_us : 16th March 2022 at 14:15. Reason: Typo
Old 28th March 2022, 16:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Alto was my first car way back in 2005. Loved this car.
Now i need another small car for long trip in bad terrains in Himalayas. I used to have an old Zen which I have used a lot in very very bad terrains, stretches with no roads in the Himalayas.. But now its come to an end of life.

KWID is another successful alternative.
Old 9th June 2022, 23:17   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been to the Himalayas multiple times. Believe me, the best car to bring is a rented one! Your car is going to take a pounding, so best get a rented one, any rented one, don’t bring your own. It’s just not worth it.

Jeremy Clarkson claimed the fastest car in the world is a rental. For the very same reasons, the best car to bring to the Himalaya is a rental too.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 9th June 2022 at 23:18.
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 09:11   #53
BHPian

Hey Jeroen

Thanks, too many changes since I posted this. All the plans have been shelved as of now. It’s definitely a good idea. As of now I have booked a Maruti Ertiga for the time being.

Rangy
Rangy62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 00:31   #54
RDS
BHPian

I frequently travel to Himalayas. When in Punjab, I go to HP and when in Delhi NCR, I prefer Uttrakhand.
How frequently - last 1.5 years I have spent more time in Himalayas than plains. This also includes trip to Leh Ladakh.

Ford Aspire/Figo Diesel (2nd gen) does trips very well without any issues. With just 1 size upgrade (185/65 r14) tyres, the gc is 180mm and that is more than enough (even on bad roads) until and unless you want to go off-road.

But I have also done enough trips with stock tyres (174mm gc) and that is enough to take you to most places.

Most Viewed