Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Want to buy a $60,000 car in USA | Keen on a V8

Guys, I am travelling on long term to USA. This is my second long term travel, I had been there before from 2012 till 2018 and I had previously owned Nissan Murano (pre owned), Toyota Camry (pre owned), Honda Odyssey (pre owned), Toyota Rav4 (New 2016), Toyota 4Runner (2018).
On my second stint now the family has grown from 3 (me, wife, daughter) to 4 (+son).

Heart says buy a V8 (Charger RT or Durango RT or Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - a rare option though) because if not now then when?

Mind says buy 4Runner again as I was finally content with it in my last trip. I always used to get bored of all cars I bought and used to sell it in a year but with 4Runner I was happy.

Wife says do what you want but (there is always a but), this time 1 car for minimum 3 years (lets see about that).

So budget is set for $60k, practicality wise SUV makes sense, but the RWD of Charger with a V8 is drool worthy and it is around $40k. Need your expert suggestions here.

Requirement:
Spacious, comfortable, long distance cruiser, good luggage space to hold 2 kid's stroller bags, etc. 70% of the time I would be driving alone. 50% of it on highways.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th June 2021 at 18:04. Reason: Removed note. PleaseUse the Report Post button to report any issues. Spacing fixed.
CarBot is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 16:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Want to buy a $60,000 car in USA | Keen on a V8

You have given no info on the requirements from the car, except that it should be e V8!

More details will help others guide better!
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBot View Post
So budget is set for $60k, practicality wise SUV makes sense, but the RWD of Charger with a V8 is drool worthy and it is around $40k. Need your expert suggestions here.

Requirement:
Spacious, comfortable, long distance cruiser, good luggage space to hold 2 kid's stroller bags etc. 70% of the time I would be driving alone. 50% of it on highways.
There are 2 suggestions that comes to my mind based on your budget and usage

1. Why not 2? SUV+Roadster: 4Runner + used ND Miata/MX-5 - With family you can haul everything with SUV and when driving alone or to work, you have hell a lot of fun with the roadster. Believe me driving a lightweight and nimble car is more fun than most people think of driving a heavy and thirsty V8. Thats where they saying comes from, I think : "Driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow". And you can stay within legal speed limits too.

2. Electric crossover: Ford Mach-E (or) Tesla model Y - If you have the possibilty to charge at home and are going to live in states with a decent amount of chargers on the highway, an electric vehicle is a very good option. TCO will be very less and you get the most fun while driving too.

And the upside of both the options is, you can't have both these as options at all back home (yet)

Last edited by carthick1000 : 11th June 2021 at 17:29.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please test drive the Lexus RC F I believe it starts at 60k USD I suppose the RC-F is powered by a fairly legendary V8. Lexus' V8 has received lots of praise from the automotive press so do see what can be had from their stables you will probably end up with the best reliability-quality-entertainment package if you go with a V8 lexus sedan/coupe
IshaanIan is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 17:51   #5
BHPian

If you have owned 4Runner, why not give try to Highlander this time?

Quote:
Toyota fully redesigned the Highlander for the 2020 model year. The current generation is powered by a capable V6 engine and comes equipped with an 8-inch touch-screen infotainment system and smartphone app integration. It also has more cargo space than the outgoing model and comes standard with a wealth of advanced driver-assistance systems.

The 4Runner’s current generation dates back to the 2010 model year. While it’s arguably in need of a redesign, it has seen some notable updates over the years. More specifically, Toyota brought the 4Runner mostly up to date for 2020. The SUV gained the latest touch-screen infotainment system tech, smartphone app integration, and a small suite of standard driver-assistance technologies. For 2021, the 4Runner gets LED headlights as standard.
Though it misses the 2 extra cylinders that you have desired for which you may have to go further up to Land Cruiser which may take your budget up by another 25k

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2021 at 09:55. Reason: Please use the QUOTE tag for external content
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 18:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
You have given no info on the requirements from the car, except that it should be e V8!

More details will help others guide better!
Yes sir, added it to the main post, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
"Driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow". And you can stay within legal speed limits too.

2. Electric crossover: Ford Mach-E (or) Tesla model Y - If you have the possibilty to charge at home and are going to live in states with a decent amount of chargers on the highway, an electric vehicle is a very good option. TCO will be very less and you get the most fun while driving too.

And the upside of both the options is, you can't have both these as options at all back home (yet)
Agreed, and I remember James May saying the same on Top Gear.
Your suggestion of 2 cars actually makes sense. If I get a decent 2017 4Runner around 30K, I can buy another used manual civic i-vtec dohc in under 20k

I have leased a independent 2 car garage house so charging is not a issue but budget would overshoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Please test drive the Lexus RC F I believe it starts at 60k USD I suppose the RC-F is powered by a fairly legendary V8. up
Thanks, I never thought of this, will surely test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
[i]If you have owned 4Runner, why not give try to Highlander this time?
Somehow I never liked Highlander or Pilot or new Murano. But yes the new Highlander with Hybrid has gained excellent reviews.
CarBot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 19:29   #7
BHPian

Another option could be the Lexus GX/LX. Nearly new LX will be a bit of a stretch in the budget in the used market but GX is easier to get.
BTW you should ask the question in the North America thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...h-america.html (Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America)
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 20:33   #8
BHPian

Avoid the Charger. You are being tempted by the engine, but the rest of the car is utter cr@p. I owned the Charger when I lived on the East Coast and it took me a herculean effort to keep the thing in good condition.

The ride quality is poor, the inside has more rubber than a rubber plantation and the fit and finish is usual Detroit standards.

Stick with the Japanese. For 40k, you can even look into a nice German SUV. Although given the current inflation in the used market, it will take you a while to get something good quickly.

Happy hunting.
no_fear is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am travelling on long term to USA.
I moved to USA in 2018. The cars listed in your first time travel is what 98% of us Indians go for, we cannot think beyond these.

When it comes to USA i think we can easily afford a good car which we usually cannot even dream of in India. I used to travel to US on business trips and i used to rent cars that we usually don't get in India or Europe, like the ford mustang or the camaro, but this time i had to take an informed decision as i wanted a long term car which has a character.

My choices for your requirement would be the following. Its also based on which state are you moving to.

1. Mazda CX5 or Mazda CX9 (AWD) - high quality family mover with great ride and handling. Go for the turbo motor only.

2. You have a great budget, you should be easily getting a Volvo XC90 (AWD) and you can never go wrong with this car.

3. Now lets speak about cars with character. This is where the Dodge Durango SRT or Jeep GC SRT comes into picture. This is not a fancy tech loaded car but this will provide only smiles per mile.

I would avoid Toyota only for one thing, they are average point a to point b cars. The road noise on interstate in Rav4, 4 Runner is not well insulated and somehow the car does not feel close to premium. It also lacks plushness. The engines are reliable but the character is missing.

I live near NY which mandated me to go for only an AWD and hence I couldn't buy a V8 charger. I bought an AWD V6 Charger and have done around 50k miles on it. My daily commute was on the higher side. Not a single day this car has let me down. It has a very silent plush cabin and one of the best ride qualities. There is no road noise and small undulations and pot holes are kept at bay.
But the handling on this car is not that great. People confuse ride quality with handling. In terms of handling this is a heavy SUV type car in form of sedan. But here the roads are pretty wide and straight and you don't feel the need of Mazda or Subaru type handling, yet choice is yours. I used to own a Fiat Linea and the charger is not even close to 70% when it comes to handling.
The interiors are spartan an no where close to a 2021 era. This is a pure character oriented car, the best looking sedan and i keep getting compliments on the car from many. Do not buy the old generation Charger. They are not good. V8 and V6 are superb engines and proven. I get equal MPG to the CRV with half the power on long runs.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th June 2021 at 18:09. Reason: Quote trimmed. Typos fixed. Proof-read before posting please. Tone down the racism. Thanks!
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 10:09   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Want to buy a $60,000 car in USA | Keen on a V8

USA is the country of automotive pleasures. You can buy cars comparable to the 4Runner anywhere in the world, even India. But V8s and enthusiastic cars? Only USA. Enthusiasts are spoilt for choice, irrespective of the budget and whether new or used.

Please go ahead and satisfy your V8 cravings.

Quote:
Wife says do what you want but(there is always a but), this time 1 car for minimum 3 years (lets see about that)
If I were you, I would buy a Dodge Challenger for the 70% of time you are driving alone. It looks deadly, is surprisingly comfortable and your kids will be able to sit on the rear seat. For the 30% of the time that you need something more, I would buy a new / used SUV for $30000.

The Lexus RC F & C63 AMG are also spectacular choices, but a little over your budget.

Can you please consider certified used cars? Zero risk, man, if you follow the best practices and USA does offer the best warranties in the world. You can buy extended warranties for many years. Consider CarMax too (their extended warranties are hassle-free). Here are 4-door sedans that will keep you & the family happy:

S-Class https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-benz-s-class/

M3 https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...5/2018-bmw-m3/

750 https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-bmw-7-series/

If you can spend 15k more, the M5 is a deadly sin https://www.carmax.com/car/20425278

Please don't waste your years on a 4Runner. Buy something more special.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 10:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
USA is the country of automotive pleasures. You can buy cars comparable to the 4Runner anywhere in the world, even India. But V8s and enthusiastic cars? Only USA. Enthusiasts are spoilt for choice, irrespective of the budget and whether new or used.

Please go ahead and satisfy your V8 cravings.
Thanks GTO, I should have mentioned my location in my post, I am going to Charlotte, NC, where it does not snow(much). Also kids are 5 year old and 6 months old hence mommy needs to sit at back, so considering Charger RT. I am very much thinking on satisfying V8 cravings. Not sure 5 years down the line we might not have V8s at all and I don’t want to feel bad then.

Also probably a year down the line I might a Certified SUV as suggested.

Below are few enquiries I have sent
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9404/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7532/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5674/overview/
CarBot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 16:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

There are three ways to go down this road :

1. The safe road. Go Japanese for peace of mind with comfort and performance. Cars like the 2021 Honda Accord 2.0T or the 2021 Civic Type R. Although they don't fill the criteria specified, they do provide comfort with additional performance.

2. The exciting road. We are talking about Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers here. Somewhere in the middle a Charger sounds good since it is a 4 door car.

3. The bad advice. Go for the latest corvette eyes closed. And yes, it will take a nice bite out of your bank account, if the second option has not already. The corvette feels like a proper VFM American sports car. And good thing it doesn't snow much in Charlotte, since you would be sleeping outside after having been kicked out of the house for buying a two door sports car

Last edited by TrackDay : 13th June 2021 at 16:52.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 20:31   #13
BHPian

OK ... I have not driven 8 Cyl. Vehicle in USA, although used LC in Dubai Dune bashing, I do not see any major benefit of V-8 in USA where speed limits are set quite low and strictly adhered.
Only benefit is while towing a boat or a Camper and driving through mountains where muscle power is required. I have never felt short of power while driving a fully loaded 1.8 Corolla (quite old too) or a fairly new RAV4. I think powerful vehicles require constant monitoring of speed unless using cruise control.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 04:35   #14
BHPian

If you're able to find a good one, I'd suggest getting a used BMW M550i. I say used because the new one starts at 76k which puts it out of range. But the car is a damn beast that'll make you question the point of the M5.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 09:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spacious, comfortable, long distance cruiser, good luggage space to hold 2 kid's stroller bags etc. 70% of the time I would be driving alone. 50% of it on highways.
Reading about all the cars you've owned, I feel you are inclined towards a vehicle that is a dependable family hauler. In your part of the world, that brings up only one name, Toyota. Get a new FWD (or AWD. Do you need to drive in snow?) Highlander. Use the spare cash and get yourself a nice old Ford Bronco for your V8 thrills. Guaranteed to make you feel like god.

Think about the V8 bit as a daily driver. Gas ain't cheap and I don't see how a V6 won't do the job on that Highlander. They are pretty solid engines.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 14th June 2021 at 09:07.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed