Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2021, 01:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz or Honda City?

Considering that you are warming up to the idea of VAG cars, I would recommend Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI. I got mine delivered very recently and so far loving it.

I had almost booked Honda Amaze but my friend (who had booked a Rapid) asked me to do a TD and man after a TD on the Airport road here, Amaze never came close in driving experience and a sense of safety and stability I (and my wife) got in Rapid.

Amaze and City are segment apart. So my experience and yours are not apples to apples comparison, but my strong recommendation would be to do a TD of Rapid or even Vento since your budget can go up to Honda City level.

For me Rapid Rider Plus came across as a very VFM car in the segment.

A word of caution : This mid-segment is super crowded with many overlapping offerings and the more you "research" the more confusion it can create. :-) So good luck.
Old 14th July 2021, 04:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Doing the math - you might do about 2.4 lakh km in 10 years. For all the comfort and equipment you get, I'd say City over the Jazz. Too bad Honda always gave Jazz a step-motherly treatment (equipment-wise) in India and it lacks the 1.5 i-VTEC option. :(

My answer would have swung towards the Jazz with lower mileage requirements.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 14th July 2021 at 04:24.
Old 16th July 2021, 16:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Very strange listing to be honest where the cheaper car enlisted is used while the more expensive car has to be brand new

Jokes apart, obviously City will better Jazz in all aspects as enlisted and a better buy.

And incase Jazz gets the final nod then as a Jazz owner I would like to add few points :
1. Jazz isnt underpowered on highways. It has low bottom end torque. Highway performance is rather good.
2. New gen Jazz wont be coming anytime soon.
3. F.E. of Jazz CVT on highways is 17+
I agree with @Turbokick. As a Jazz ZX AT 2021 owner myself, it has decent city manners and good highway performance. I have factories in Bangalore city and in Kolar district (65KM away) - so I do both runs every week and find Jazz as a good performer.

All I did after I took delivery was - a) add in after market Skoda horns (OEM horns are pathetic); b) get genuine leather seats done (super comfy) and c) upsized the tires from stock 175/R15 to Yokohama 205/55, R15 and the road manners is now fantastic. I drive in S mode and find the engine very responsive and refined.
Old 17th August 2021, 13:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
I am looking for a Petrol Automatic car (a proper AT not an AMT).
Would this be a 2nd / 3rd / 4th car in your garage? Do you have another sedan / hatch?

I think a 3 box car (City) is a better choice than the Jazz if it is going to spend most of it's life on the highways. If there's no concern for money / parking space / narrow roads, I would suggest the City. As you would do regular highway runs during dawn / night, you can keep an extra spare tire in the trunk, and some other recovery / emergency items as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinbalance View Post
upsized the tires from stock 175/R15 to Yokohama 205/55, R15 and the road manners is now fantastic. I drive in S mode and find the engine very responsive and refined.
How's the 205 section tires working out for you? any scraping / heavy steering / FE issues etc? did they fit on the OEM alloys?
Old 17th August 2021, 14:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
How's the 205 section tires working out for you? any scraping / heavy steering / FE issues etc? did they fit on the OEM alloys?
Negative, @blackasta, nothing. Drive is very stable and smooth, with excellent breaking. I use S mode for the autobox and use paddle shifters - I find absolutely no issues with the drive quality (pickup, shift down, acceleration and cornering) - only the stance is much more planted. Averaging FE about 10-11 kmph in the Bangalore city roads, and my factory is in Peenya - which has bumper to bumper traffic. Steering is light and very comfortable.

Fitment was on OEM alloys - no worries. Got it done in the Yokohama dealer at Sadashivanagar.

Last edited by allinbalance : 17th August 2021 at 14:59.
allinbalance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 17:27   #21
BHPian

Update...

God had some other plan. I happened to see this car and brought it home

Mid 2017, Elantra SX Diesel Manual
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz or Honda City?-elantra.jpg  

Last edited by Silver Knight : 21st August 2021 at 17:29. Reason: Added details
Silver Knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 18:12   #22
BHPian

Congratulations! I was reading this thread from the beginning and see that every criteria you laid out in your first post has gone for a toss.

I've not had the pleasure of driving the Elantra Diesel but have heard good things about it from my relatives and friends who have owned multiple generations of the car. I'm sure it will serve you well on the highways. Good luck!
anandavinash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed