BHPian

Re: Cheap but comfortable car for 10 - 12 lakhs | Can't be too showy

A few cars that come to mind are:
  1. Toyota Yaris + CNG Kit
  2. Honda City (4th Gen) + CNG Kit
  3. Toyota Etios (Diesel)
  4. Honda Amaza (Diesel)
  5. Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza

It is always better to take the used route and save some money. The first 2 options can be considered flashy or not based on different perceptions. If so, consider from the third option.
Old 20th July 2021, 12:36   #62
BHPian

I am surprised no one has pitched the XUV300. I have one and can tell you why it's so good.

1. 5 star crash safety
2. The Base W4 and W6 trims in aquamarine blue is dull and opposite of flashy. Sometimes it merely looks like a bigger S Presso without the chrome on upper trims .
3. The power is simply addictive. The car literally lunges forward and begs you to accelerate.
4. The ride handling combo is well sorted and while travelling along with a friend who was trailing in a xcent on a broken patch of highway, he asked me why I am driving fast on such bad roads. Honestly, I didn't feel any of the road imperfections.
5. Cabin space is excellent for both front and back seats .

Cons :
1. FE . The addictive power is to blame.
Old 20th July 2021, 13:24   #63
BHPian

The ride comfort, ingress - egress and fuel economy should be an important factor here for this gentleman because-
  1. He is a 50 year old with a delicate spine
  2. A contractor which implies frequent site visits and at times on less than perfect roads
The most suitable options IMHO are-
  1. Maruti Suzuki Brezza (Any manual variant) - A good GC, decent suspension, no snob value, VFM proposition
  2. Hyundai Venue (SX Diesel) - A superb diesel engine, good GC, looks like a bigger hatch, good FE
  3. Ford Figo Trio(Figo, Aspire, Freestyle) - A superb diesel engine, understated looks, no snob value, good FE
However, he MUST have himself chauffeured on the seat of his choice and check the comfort levels and ingress egress for his liking.
Old 20th July 2021, 13:51   #64

Honda Amaze diesel - reliable workhorse with good mileage. Ride quality is good too. There's one diesel manual V variant in my closer family circle.

A used Etios diesel. We own one and it's just fill it, shut it and forget it type ! Wonderful mileage as well.
Old 20th July 2021, 14:27   #65

The best option in these circumstances is to go for a great suspension and car and to top it all the very fact is that he uses the front seat makes the "VW Polo Comfortline TSI - Non Metallic - AT" fit to a TEE.

Well within budget, rock solid car, low key if taken in WHITE and still delivers on all counts.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 20th July 2021, 14:50   #66
BHPian

If he has got some time in hand then he could wait for Tata HBX.

1) Its will have best space in its segment so should be comfortable and airy.

2) Will be built in TATAs ALFA platform just like Altroz so should have high safety rating.

3) Will get top model in under 10 lacs OTR with all the features.

4)Will have good ground clearance and short wheel base, opens many territories.

5) This car will have good looks and wont be flashy and will bear a tag of budget friendly car too.
Old 20th July 2021, 15:17   #67
BHPian

I recommend Ignis. Its not too flashy, tall so no issue getting in and out, high GC to take over those under construction rough roads, not to mention other perks of Maruti.

But! Strictly if he is sitting in front seat only. Rear seat is nightmare for someone with back pain, I can tell from my personal experience.

I have Ignis (and backpain) so I might be biased here

2nd option would be Brezza. No nonsense and checks all his requirements.
Old 20th July 2021, 17:58   #68
BHPian

Only cars which I can think of are Ciaz and 4th Generation City. Both got comfortable ride and are not too flashy + both are super reliable.
But if he is fine with crossover, then Urban Cross/Vitara Breeza or Nexon will be fine I believe.

Last edited by Bhalla : 20th July 2021 at 18:01. Reason: Added text
Old 20th July 2021, 18:02   #69
BHPian

Considering his back issues and front seat requirement with no bling, the Wagon R and Santro should serve him well. Both of them looks sedate in White and offer that tall boy seat comfort.
Old 20th July 2021, 18:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
His clients primarily have 2-wheelers, B2 hatchbacks, compact sedans and (a few) sub-4 meter crossovers. He cannot arrive in a better car then theirs.
For a 50 years old guy with a delicate back, who needs a car that is not too flashy with client profile mentioned in the quoted post above, I agree with some of the recommendations such as Brezza, Ignis and Hyundai Venue. I do not believe Ciaz, Honda City (still commands badge value), Vento, Polo etc are good choices for a variety of reasons that I am not willing to type from mobile keypad (most important reason for not recommending them being the need for a non flashy vehicle).

I would also suggest S-Cross as it is very comfortable, spacious, offers good ground clearance and most importantly, has a crossover look that does not get too much attention unlike even compact SUVs such as Kiger, Brezza, Sonet etc.

What I have learnt is that as an onlooker, it does not catches anybody’s eyes but for an owner, it is a car that a person starts to like more with time because of the overall package offered at a sub 10 lacs ex-showroom price.
Old 20th July 2021, 20:29   #71
BHPian

Both cars are now retired -
1. Etios Sedan or Liva. The taxi image will save him the blushes and the comfort is undeniable.
2. Ford Fiesta Classic

Last edited by kotirajendra : 20th July 2021 at 20:38. Reason: added ford fiesta
Old 20th July 2021, 20:30   #72
BHPian

Tata Nexon with it's plush ride will do it for him .It gobbles bad roads literally for his on sight visits and not a flash can either , further if his daily runs do not exceed more then 200 kms then Nexon EV is the way to go I think .
Old 20th July 2021, 20:44   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

If it doesn't have to be new, an used Duster 110PS or even 85PS diesel would fit the bill perfectly.

Terrific ride quality, reliable engine and good driving dynamics with enough space. It is too old a design to catch eyes. So a 2017/18 specimen, though pretty fresh will not look flashy to the people.

If it definitely has to be new, I would go even more modest and pick the Baleno 1.2 alpha. An all rounder with a smooth, adequately fun 1.2 liter motor, very spacious interiors, maruti reliability, nice ride quality and it would be among the thousands of balenos on road. But build quality will be a compromise.

Having test driven the Kiger, it does look like a slightly bigger kwid and in white shade it looks almost identical from the front and sides. Again a spacious car with decent ride and a lot of features. But God bless the driver to having to put up with that horrible gearbox.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 20th July 2021 at 20:51.
Old 20th July 2021, 21:14   #74
BHPian

To have a car with an OTR of 12l or less, Honda Jazz makes a good choice. Its seats are supportive and overall its built to last better than other hatch backs. Being a hatchback it solves the issue of being flashy as well. CVT can also be considered in Jazz in case he drives occasionally.
Old 20th July 2021, 22:09   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks a ton for the help, guys! Shortlisted Baleno, Dzire, Altroz, Amaze, Vitara Brezza & XUV300. He's checking them all out today and will close based on whichever front-passenger seat he is most comfy in. Ciaz is too big / showy for his purpose.

Marutis are at a disadvantage thanks to no diesel.
With all due respect, you missed out the Ertiga which is the one most suited for his requirements.
Sub-4 metre SUVs have stiff suspensions.
Sedans like Dzire, Amaze have low ground clearance, not suited for visiting locations where roads can be poor.
Ertiga ticks all the boxes, soft suspension, high GC and a very ubiquitous vehicle, no one will give it a second glance while at the same time not something poor or low class.

I have always disregarded the Ertiga but was pleasantly surprised at how good it is for travelling after travelling quite a lot of distance in my sister's Ertiga.

Please recommend Ertiga to him too, I feel this is the best choice among all!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks