5th Gen Honda City VX Petrol Manual 205 65.08%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 11:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Kushaq vs Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
On a connected note, if you’re open to the City at all, why don’t you push your budget up a smidge and consider taking home a Civic. Now that’s a really wonderful package all round IMO.
Civic has long been discontinued in India. Anyways, City IMO offers most things the Civic did. Its more like, City overdelivering and Civic underdelivering in their latest Avatars.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Civic has long been discontinued in India.
My bad. I knew they had stopped the line in December 2020 but I was under the impression there was still inventory being moved. I stand corrected.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:18   #33
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Civic has long been discontinued in India. Anyways, City IMO offers most things the Civic did. Its more like, City overdelivering and Civic underdelivering in their latest Avatars.
Comparing to Civic, only good thing about City is space. Civic is way ahead of City in dynamics, quality and is a match for Octavia in ride & handling. In fact some cheaper sedans are better than City in build quality and dynamics. Here the requirement is petrol manual and Civic only came with a petrol automatic.

Last edited by anb : 25th July 2021 at 11:19.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Comparing to Civic, only good thing about City is space. Civic is way ahead of City in dynamics, quality and is a match for Octavia in ride & handling. In fact some cheaper sedans are better than City in build quality and dynamics. Here the requirement is petrol manual and Civic only came with a petrol automatic.
Well I responded considering all the factors, including the choice of gearboxes. If there was a petrol manual in Civic, I would have said Civic to be a good upgrade. Sure Civic offers a better high speed driving manners, but for the OP, they plan to get the Bimmer in a year or so, which will offer a great handling experience. To counter, the City offers a very comfy setup, a perfect compliment. I agree with build quality, but City atleast offers a 5 star Asean NCAP certification.

One must also not forget the price difference between the Civic and City. In their top end petrol trims, Civic nearly costed 25-26L OTR, whereas the City costs about 8 lakhs lesser. That's a sizeable amount for just a smidgen more horsepower.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:36   #35
anb
BHPian

Quote:
City atleast offers a 5 star Asean NCAP certification.
Indian made Honda city is never crash tested. 5 star certification is for Thai spec City with 1.0L Turbo petrol engine. Honda launched Civic with wrong transmission option. When comparing performance, the 17-18 lakhs Honda City is slower than some of the sub 4m compact petrol automatic SUVs.

Last edited by anb : 25th July 2021 at 11:53.
anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:47   #36
BHPian

Since you'll be getting a premium German in the future, my suggestion to you Namit, would be to drop both these cars and go for something like the S Cross. City's low seating might not be suited for those used to the Innova. Also, though I really like the Kushaq I would advise against getting a newly launched VAG car as the sole vehicle of the house.

S cross, Ertiga, XL6 are the only options which come to my mind for comfortable and fuss free rides for city usage within your budget. Being Marutis, they will even out the fortune you'll spend on servicing that X3. You should consider the Toyota Urban Cruiser too, since you will get great Toyota ASS which you'll be used to already.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 25th July 2021 at 11:51.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Its a gem of an engine, that could please you either ways, mileage or drivability.
I have read in the past that the mileage of turbo petrols is unpredictable. Drive with a light foot and you'll get an average much higher than ARAI's claim. Have some fun while driving the car, and the mileage would drop to single digits in one shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Though I haven’t driven Kushaq from the reviews it is fun to drive. City honestly I felt it’s boring and very light and does not feel very assuring at high speed.
My dad does feel a little hesitant while driving the city in triple digit speeds. There is some up and down movement from the car. And although we don't really feel unsafe, the high speed stability is something that has raised our eyebrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Also, you are 14 now and 4 years later when you get your driver's license, which one will you pick to drive between the Kushaq/City(of course, apart from the X3!). I am sure you have given it a thought
Well, if my opinion is asked, then I'd surely prefer the Kushaq. In terms of exterior design, the City cannot beat it. I love beige interiors but sadly that doesn't come even as an option in the Kushaq. The 1.0 TSI uses far modern technology than the 1.5 VTEC.

Quote:
Since you are already planning on an entry level luxo barge in near future it's always great to have a proven and reliable car as a complementary ride in the family. Given your usage, I would strongly suggest you go for the VX CVT. Don't go by the Youtuber reviews where the revv the nuts out of the petrol engine(7k+ rpms) and say the engine is a beauty, but CVT kills this.

In features department I think City completely blows away Kushaq in their respective VX and Ambition trims, do recheck this out, if it's important for you.
True, my dad drives cars in a very sedate manner and I doubt that he has ever crossed 4k+ RPM while driving even on highways. While driving the Innova, I have seen him upshift at not more than 2-2.2K RPM. Whereas in the Honda City, upshifts come at 3K RPM.

You are right about the feature comparison. I did a brochure to brochure check and the City VX trumps the Ambition variant of the Kushaq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK-XXVII View Post

Coming to engine specs it depends on what you consider as boring or intresting.
The 1.5 NA on city is just lovely. Its more for sedate drivers who just want a silent and calm drive and the 1.5 TSI is an explosive monster. 1.5 NA clearly lacks torque and you will feel that more on the highway than anywhere else, but it will not disappoint you in the city.
The 1.5 TSI engine in the Kushaq commands a hefty premium over the 1.0 TSI. Hence, we aren't considering it. Dealer is quoting 18.2 Lakhs for the 1.5 TSI Manual and 20.04 Lakhs for the 1.5 TSI automatic. I would rather prefer getting an Innova GX at this price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
While Honda City’s engine might be considered as an epitome of reliability, Skoda’s 1.0 TSI is not too bad either. In terms of build and FTD factor, Kushaq will beat the Honda City hands down. City scores over Kushaq in terms of practicality with a bit more interior space and a hell lot of boot space
There are no two ways about that, the Skoda has a far superior built quality. The doors shut with a reassuring thud. However, Skoda has made cost cutting evident in the Kushaq. I may be wrong, but I guess that 1.0 TSI won the engine of the year title last year right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
You guys keep your cars for a long time and put a lot of kms on the clock. Given that and the fact you’re thinking of adding a Bimmer to the garage in the near future, I’d say the Honda is a complete no-brainer.

On a connected note, if you’re open to the City at all, why don’t you push your budget up a smidge and consider taking home a Civic. Now that’s a really wonderful package all round IMO. Great complement to everything else in your garage and will easily stand the test of a decade without question.
We plan on retaining this car for about 6 years and I doubt we will cross the 1 Lakh kilometre mark. It would just be my dads daily driver for a year. And if per year average is calculated, it comes out to be around 10 to 12K kilometres. So, we would be driving this car around 60 to 70 thousand kilometres only.

Civic has been discontinued again in our market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache_aayush View Post
I can affirm you that skoda feels decidedly superior in driving dynamics, build quality, and steering feedback.
I have driven Skoda Rapid many times and I agree with you a hundred percent. The Rapid, being Skoda, feels a lot more solid to drive. I could compare the built of the Rapid to the Endeavour, no kidding. Skoda never compromises on the build quality of their cars.

*Note* - I am getting a really good deal for the Active Variant of the Kushaq thus making the price difference between the two over 2.5 Lakhs. Also, the waiting time of the Ambition is marginally more than Active. Haven't checked out the Active variant yet, but tbh, the deal is very tempting and I am kind of inclined to the Active variant now (not sure for now though).

Would be coming to a final decision by the end of this week. And of course, a Team-BHP ownership review is a must

Last edited by PetrolHead2272 : 25th July 2021 at 11:58.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:56   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post
Hello BHPians,

Background:
We had a 2011 Toyota Innova GX that had clocked over 2.3 Lakh kilometres. Due to the absurd 10 year diesel ban in Delhi-NCR, we sold it a few days ago. Along with that, we plan on selling the other car we own as soon as we get a new one.

What type of car do we need?
We had decided on an Innova Crysta GX, but due to covid, we decided not to go for an expensive car just yet. What we are looking for is a car that gets the job done. We plan on using this car for a year or so, until covid dies down. (X3 is on the cards for after-covid era), but for now we just need a less expensive car. We plan on retaining this car even if we buy another one in some time.

Options considered
After considering over 10 cars under a price range of around 15 lakhs, we have narrowed the options down to -
1. Honda City 5th generation VX petrol Manual
and
2. Skoda Kushaq Ambition Petrol Manual.

Fuel - Petrol, would only be my dads daily driver for a year until we get a new car. After that, the usage would drop a lot. Hence, no diesel considered.
Transmission - Manual. No more coments.

Advantages of Kushaq over City -
+ Since we have been used to the Innova's height, an SUV would be a lot easier to travel in.
+ Better feature equipped by a hairs breadth
+ During bumper-to-bumper traffic, the Kushaq, being comparatively smaller in length, would be easier to drive and manoeuvre.

Advantages of City over Kushaq -
+ Rear seat has much more space. Due to the light beige interiors, the cabin feels roomier despite it being a low lying sedan.
+ Boot space is almost double than that of the Kushaq (not a deal breaker, as the car would be driven locally)
+ Although both engines are equally great, I prefer the 1.5 NA engine in the City slightly more than the Kushaq's engine.

Kindly tell me which car would be better for my current usage between the City and Kushaq.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Honda City is certainly the better choice here if you want something as reliable as the Innova. But since you won't be using the car much after a year, risking a Kushaq also makes sense. But make sure to get the 1.5 Manual and not the 1.0 TSI manual. 1.0 Tsi has its fair share of problems and will leave you wanting more in terms of fuel efficiency, especially under loads or hill station trips.
But if you plan to keep the car for more than 5-6 years in spite of not using it much after a year, buying a Direct injection turbo makes no sense. You'll just be spending extra maintenance money for virtually no usage of the car.

In that case, the Honda City makes perfect sense.
CarMaster_059 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post

However, if possible to explore, I will suggest you to look into a more reliable crossover which will help in the taller seating and smaller dimensions. Something in the lines of the top variants of an S-Cross, Brezza or WR-V, will be something that you may check. The S-Cross would be my first pick as it is similar in size to the Kushaq and has more space than the Brezza or WR-V. In case of minimal usage after a year, there is a higher chance that you will have lesser headache with a Japanese than a German if you start using a car after a period of hibernation. Good luck with your purchase.
Agree. I too voted for the City due to its proven reliability and ease of driving.
However, if you have older family members who will use or sit in the car, then the city with its low seating height can be troublesome.
The Brezza or S-Cross is a better option IMHO, with good resale value as well.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:36   #40

=1 from my side,
Hi, Namit
Since you own two Japanese products viz Innova and the city. I think you should stick to them only as VAG cars cannot be compared in terms of reliability, ownership costs, ASS with that of Japanese brands. Toyota, Honda, Suzuki provide far more fuss-free ownership than the Europians even Indian brands also. Also since your running would be majorly in Gurgaon then you would not have any problems in Honda city regarding GC issues.
ADFreak8322 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 13:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Go for Honda City eyes closed over Skoda Kushaq. You will get better reliability and hassle free ownership experience.

I strongly recommend to take a look at 4th Generation Honda City as well. Currently it is very sweet deal. IMHO it looks better than 5th generation Honda City.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 13:12   #42
BHPian

Mod note: Please type in full instead of SMS lingo and Preview once before submitting, post edited for readability and font tags. Thanks.

Quote:

Kindly tell me which car would be better for my current usage between the City and Kushaq.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Hi !!fellow Bhpian.

I see that your budget is fixed between 10-15lac. Skoda’s kushaq seems to be a sensible buy especially in the 1.0 TSi manual guise, which as a I’ve heard/seen in many journo reviews seems to offer excellent driveability in the city and offers better FE compared to the auto.

Ride and handling package of the kushaq seems to be the key here and even though I’ve not take a TD, the word of mouth seems to be excellent!

City on the other hand seems to offer the best of both worlds, again an excellent ivtec engine, best in class rear seat space and comfort.

From what I see in your scenario. If it is that some spirited driving you seek along with an excellent ride-handling package, and of course if don’t mind about Skoda’s after sales/service issues-the kushaq 1.0 TSI ambition is the one to go for.

Or else if you want a no nonsense car which can offer you a bit of everything and of course extra boot and rear seat space, backed up proven and tested Honda’s service support - Then the the city is the one for you, hope that nails it!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th July 2021 at 13:24.
pradheepsr is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2021, 13:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

*Note* - I am getting a really good deal for the Active Variant of the Kushaq thus making the price difference between the two over 2.5 Lakhs. Also, the waiting time of the Ambition is marginally more than Active. Haven't checked out the Active variant yet, but tbh, the deal is very tempting and I am kind of inclined to the Active variant now (not sure for now though).

Would be coming to a final decision by the end of this week. And of course, a Team-BHP ownership review is a must
I am not sure at what price you are getting the Active variant, but it's a very barebones variant(for eg- doesn't even get Climate control,keyless entry, rear wash wipe and rear defogger, rear parcel shelf etc.) City V variant by contrast offers a lot lot more than the Kushaq Active varaint. Same is true for VX and Ambition varaints. I will suggest you go through the thorough ownership review of Bhpian trackday for City V CVT variant.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ty-review.html (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)

Except the added height of Kushaq, better build and bit better high speed handling, Kushaq offers nothing else over the City.

Be it the space, boot, features, ride quality, active and passive safety features, interior quality, road presence, reliability, mileage, aftersales, City remains the better bet undoubtedly.

Last edited by 07CR : 25th July 2021 at 14:00.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 14:41   #44
BHPian

Voted for Honda City as you intend to keep the car for 6 years at least, a Honda City will help to stretch that to even 10 years mark if in case required.

Kushaq is a nice car to own but comparing side by side, other than few positives points on the performance side (1.5V-tec is not that bad either!), overall the Honda City wins hands down.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 15:05   #45
VVN
BHPian

Voted for the City. I own the 4th Gen and as mentioned in another thread, although my heart yearns for something from the Skoda stable, I will never do so in India or unless they sort out their reliability issues and ASS horror stories. Given that you keep your cars for long, I'd opt for reliability. You are not going to go drag racing with this car and hence the top speed, acceleration etc shouldn't matter a lot. Kushaq is definitely better built than the City but I'd never trade reliability, especially during pandemic times.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks