Skoda Kushaq Ambition Petrol Manual 110 34.92%
5th Gen Honda City VX Petrol Manual 205 65.08%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 15:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Kushaq vs Honda City

As the owner of a 5th Gen city, would be obvious where my vote went

From my perspective if I were to get an X3, which is obviously a German automatic, would prefer the other ride to offer something from a different end of the spectrum. A reliable petrol manual sedan that will last miles and miles with proper maintenance.

But always, and I say this again always check out the car you want with your family. Ask the local dealers, and if possible to bring the variant you want to your residence. Check which one suits to your family's satisfaction. Happy shopping
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 16:15   #47
BHPian

One thing I would like to say is, buy the one which appeals to your heart. You can convince your head later.

If you buy the one you like, you will ignore those foibles, but if you buy one with just the head's decision, you will very much regret it later.

If you are an automobile enthusiast, don't bring the price quotient upfront. Keep the price in the last point. You will only think about the price before the purchase and not after.

Some real time examples from my end:

I really love looking at my near 15yr old Pulsar 150 (gorgeous design by Glynn Kerr)* despite it has a stupid gearbox, it vibrates so much that only a woman will love. Bajaj's cost cutting of various components like silencer that rust pretty quickly etc. Despite all that, I love that bike even though the Honda Unicorn will run rings around it when it comes to Engine or gearbox smoothness. I ignore those Pulsar's quirks because I loved it some much when I bought it.

The same cannot be said when I bought my first car (Baleno). I feared so much and did lots of online "research" (head decision) and it stacked good on the points table in an Excel sheet. Unlike the Pulsar, it does not have a bad gearbox or engine. However, I very much regret this decision. It is both soulless and also a Tincan. Even though, I have not faced any issue on the car, I just don't love it.

* Now I don't like what Bajaj is doing with this design. They are going in the wrong direction. When it was launched, it was one of the beautiful motorcycles in India.

Last edited by amvj : 25th July 2021 at 16:22.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 19:16   #48
BHPian

The only question you need to ask is whether you need ground clearance. If you arent too bothered about that, go for the city without hesitation!

Kushaq has very few positive points over the city, the main one being ground clearance. The premium for the 1.5TSI is really not worth it.
lina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 19:46   #49
BHPian

I would pick the more tried, tested, uber reliable and fun to drive 1.5NA of the Honda City. The Japanese engine and tuning is perfectly mated to the gearbox which is superior in terms of slick shift compared to the slightly rubbery 1.0TSI of VAG.
The Kushaq is a new product and one could possibly experience minor niggles in the first set of batches (I could be wrong too). I'd personally pick a new model post its first year of release to understand it better and get an understanding through long term user reviews and experiences.
Personally felt the interiors to be more plush in the City along with a much better and comfortable ride compared to the firm one on the Kushaq.
Since it's primarily for your dad, he may enjoy the comfort oriented ride quality of the City better.
Skoda ASS can also be a hit or miss. That said, Honda too isn't the best as far as the ASS experience is concerned.

For sheer reliability and space, pick the City.
Best Regards
advenk999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 21:21   #50
BHPian

My vote goes for the Honda City as well.
I can guarantee you peace of mind and reliability for the next 10 years and more
Because you already have plans to buy a German car in near future, it would be delightful to have a car from the best of both worlds. Japanese and German.
I am also aware of the floaty ride on triple digit speeds on Honda city, (We have owned one before) considering the irritating speed warning beeps I don’t expect you to go faster.
Rear seat and boot is way better than Kushaq’s.
Refinement of ivtec is something I just can’t put into words.
As much as I love the new Skoda Kushaq , if I am given Honda city as option, I would still pick the Honda city. Skoda’s ASS is a unpredictable. Things to go wrong with the car is unpredictable. That is not the case with the Honda.
Also, I am not a huge fan of crossovers/compact SUVs. Only because it does not have 4WD option.
The Kushaq is also cheaped out in many areas which I am very disappointed. For e.g. Only drivers door features one-touch up and down function.

All the best.
Vasanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 21:34   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post

Options considered
After considering over 10 cars under a price range of around 15 lakhs, we have narrowed the options down to -
1. Honda City 5th generation VX petrol Manual
and
2. Skoda Kushaq Ambition Petrol Manual.
One of my relatives is also comparing between these 2 cars and the City just offers much more for the money you are paying.

What features are you referring to which are available in Kushaq Ambition as compared to City VX? AFAIK City offers 6 airbags (vs 2 in Ambition) and sunroof
Kushaq would offer a more punchy performance but I am assuming that you are not particularly looking for that and would be satisfied with a more linear power delivery from the 1.5 which would be cheaper to maintain, relatively more reliable and offers better fuel economy (based on my research)
City's build quality is not at par with Germans but in no way comparable to MS. It is at par with Hyundai/Kia IMO

City V still offers much more value for money than Kushaq Ambition and would be the ideal choice for the kind of usage that you have defined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Indian made Honda city is never crash tested. 5 star certification is for Thai spec City with 1.0L Turbo petrol engine. Honda launched Civic with wrong transmission option. When comparing performance, the 17-18 lakhs Honda City is slower than some of the sub 4m compact petrol automatic SUVs.

https://Youtu.be/jOV2mbJw3Nc
Yes, the Turbo engines clearly outperform the 1.5 NA in a drag race, but not all customers are looking for such aspects and I feel only a minute fraction of drivers actually drive thier car in a similar fashion as a drag race. So these kind of comparisons are kind of useless to the average customer. Each buyer should test drive and decide for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Build quality, plastic quality etc feels decidedly cheaper and the whole car has a real Maruti Suzuki vibe to the build, forget Hyundai/ Kia let alone the Euros. Even the Skoda fails to match the expectations set by the brand - but it is far superior to the feel of the City.

Now, this is not relevant to safety and the City may/may not be safer than the MQB A0 IN platform. But personally - we can't live with that build.
I have owned/driven a number of MS products till now and I can clearly feel the difference in build quality in my 5th gen City. I have also had extensive experience with a Creta and the build quality of City and Creta is quite similar. Yes, City suffers from inferior sound insulation in comparison. But in terms of build quality, clearly better than MS, comparable to the Koreans and inferior to the Germans.

In terms of safety, we don't have GNCAP for both but at least the City VX offers 6 airbags as compared to 2 in Kushaq Ambition
AutoConsultant is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 22:11   #52
BHPian

Since the OP mentions that this car will only be used for 1 year odd (hoping covid dies down by then), resale should take priority.

In the current market , only Creta or Brezza hold values decently , if you don't stretch to the Innova. City comes next , while you can expect Kushaq to drop value significantly.

So would strongly suggest reconsidering Creta in this scenario.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 22:25   #53
BHPian

Between the two and considering your requirements, I will strongly suggest Honda City. I had two Skodas before, now one and a VW has been added to the garage. Skoda can never come close to Honda in terms of reliability and hassle-free ownership experience which I think is important to you. However, if you can live with the Skoda ownership experience and need to enjoy the TSI, I will actually suggest the Rapid 1.0 TSI manual (you can buy the monte carlo version with your City VX budget). The car is an absolute hoot to drive and looks smashing. It will keep you engaged until your BMW comes home
anuragbagur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 22:36   #54
BHPian

Heart = Skoda
Mind = Honda
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 22:54   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
I have owned/driven a number of MS products till now and I can clearly feel the difference in build quality in my 5th gen City. I have also had extensive experience with a Creta and the build quality of City and Creta is quite similar. Yes, City suffers from inferior sound insulation in comparison.
We can all have our opinions, but the numbers do tell their own solid story - don't they? Honda City is just as light, if not lighter than even the Maruti Ciaz - despite being larger and more loaded. And that's exactly what it felt to me.

Honda City gross weight - 1,528 kg (Petrol - heaviest trim)
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz gross weight - 1530 kg (Petrol - heaviest trim)

Anyways, not to take my word for it - people can judge on their own. All that's needed is to open and close that boot. Some can live with that, some just can't! All I was suggesting was for the OP not to decide based on paper comparisons and check it out in person if he can live with the choice.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 23:51   #56
BHPian

Voted for the City. In such times I would like to have something reliable. Also the 1.5 ivtec is a no brainer. Also, I dig the new City's Sokai cockpit. Go for it!
coolmel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 00:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We can all have our opinions, but the numbers do tell their own solid story - don't they? Honda City is just as light, if not lighter than even the Maruti Ciaz - despite being larger and more loaded. And that's exactly what it felt to me.

Honda City gross weight - 1,528 kg (Petrol - heaviest trim)
Maruti Suzuki Ciaz gross weight - 1530 kg (Petrol - heaviest trim)

Anyways, not to take my word for it - people can judge on their own. All that's needed is to open and close that boot. Some can live with that, some just can't! All I was suggesting was for the OP not to decide based on paper comparisons and check it out in person if he can live with the choice.
Gross weight comparison is a gross generalization according to me, we do not know how and where the weight has been utilised. Heavy is not always better.

But I totally agree that this can also be pretty subjective and one should always experience it themselves before making the final call
AutoConsultant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 00:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Ciaz kerb weight = 1055 Kg (official site does not mention it)
City base kerb weight = 1107 Kg

Overall build of the City better than Ciaz but difference is marginal.
Latheesh is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 13:00   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarMaster_059 View Post
But make sure to get the 1.5 Manual and not the 1.0 TSI manual. 1.0 Tsi has its fair share of problems and will leave you wanting more in terms of fuel efficiency, especially under loads or hill station trips.
The price of the 1.5TSI engine is dangerously close to much bigger cars like the Harrier, hector, etc. Hence, we wouldn't be considering the 1.5TSI simply due to the meaningless price quoted by Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
However, if you have older family members who will use or sit in the car, then the city with its low seating height can be troublesome.
The Brezza or S-Cross is a better option IMHO, with good resale value as well.
Ingress and egress wouldn't be an issue for us. We aren't considering any Maruti cars due to a terrible experience with my cousin's SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADFreak8322 View Post
Also since your running would be majorly in Gurgaon then you would not have any problems in Honda city regarding GC issues.
The roads in Gurgaon are pretty much smooth; so, ground clearance wouldn't be a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I strongly recommend to take a look at 4th Generation Honda City as well. Currently it is very sweet deal. IMHO it looks better than 5th generation Honda City.
Dealership at Chandigarh is quoting 10.6 Lakh rupees for the V variant of the 4th Gen Honda City. Plus the colour options are limited to just white and sliver. All other colours in the 4th Generation City are either discontinued or unavailable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post

From what I see in your scenario. If it is that some spirited driving you seek along with an excellent ride-handling package, and of course if don’t mind about Skoda’s after sales/service issues-the kushaq 1.0 TSI ambition is the one to go for.
I am willing to take the risk of the horrendous ASS of Skoda India. However, for now I'm more inclined towards the City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I am not sure at what price you are getting the Active variant, but it's a very barebones variant(for eg- doesn't even get Climate control,keyless entry, rear wash wipe and rear defogger, rear parcel shelf etc.) City V variant by contrast offers a lot lot more than the Kushaq Active varaint. Same is true for VX and Ambition varaints. I will suggest you go through the thorough ownership review of Bhpian trackday for City V CVT variant.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ty-review.html (Athena | My 5th-Gen Honda City Review)
I agree, Active feels worse than the Rider variant of the Rapid. Wouldn't be considering the Active now and would stick to Ambition.
The review by fellow BHPian trackway was wonderful and super informative.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Kushaq is a nice car to own but comparing side by side, other than few positives points on the performance side (1.5V-tec is not that bad either!), overall the Honda City wins hands down.
After driving the two back to back, one can immediately feel the difference between the conventional NA engine and the modern day turbo petrol. They are literally opposite in terms of functioning. And according to my dad's driving style, the NA is better. Driving in bumper to bumper traffic is sure to get the turbo engine in the Kushaq to stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
Kushaq is definitely better built than the City but I'd never trade reliability, especially during pandemic times.
Honda City is more reliable between the two no doubt. In recent times, Skoda has tried to improve their A.S.S though. If reliability was the only criteria for me, I would have gone and gotten myself a City with a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post

But always, and I say this again always check out the car you want with your family. Ask the local dealers, and if possible to bring the variant you want to your residence. Check which one suits to your family's satisfaction. Happy shopping
Being used to the hassle free ownership of Innova, family is inclined towards the Honda. But at the same time, the design of the Kushaq just draws you to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
The only question you need to ask is whether you need ground clearance. If you arent too bothered about that, go for the city without hesitation!
Ground clearance wouldn't be an issue in Gurgaon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenk999 View Post
Skoda ASS can also be a hit or miss. That said, Honda too isn't the best as far as the ASS experience is concerned.
Having owned the 3rd Gen City, I too can say that the quality of service has decreased slightly over the years. A friend of mine owns the pre-facelift 4th Gen City and has told me many times that the he owns isn't as solidly built as mine. Although I am guessing both Citys are built on the same platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasanth View Post
Rear seat and boot is way better than Kushaq’s.
This is where you are absolutely right. Although we prefer the high seating of the Kushaq, the City has much plusher seats in comparison. Plus the beige interiors really uplift the ambience and make the cabin airier than that of the Kushaq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Since the OP mentions that this car will only be used for 1 year odd (hoping covid dies down by then), resale should take priority.
We won't be selling it after a year, its just that the cars usage will decline significantly as we plan to buy a new car as soon as covid dies down.

*NOTE* - We are inclined towards the City now simply because of its comfort oriented nature. Space is a lot more in the City than in the Kushaq, even more, the City feels value for money. We did test drive the CVT and came out rather impressed. There's not much of a price difference between V CVT and VX Manual.
To conclude - 80% chance that we'll get the City.

I would like to thank everyone for their valuable inputs. By the end of this week probably, we would have decided which car to buy.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 13:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol

Dealership at Chandigarh is quoting 10.6 Lakh rupees for the V variant of the 4th Gen Honda City. Plus the colour options are limited to just white and sliver. All other colours in the 4th Generation City are either discontinued or unavailable.
Wow, 10.6 is steal deal for Honda City V variant. I would definitely go for it. Personally I think White is best color for 4th Gen Honda City, don't you think so? Take your own call, all the best.
aniketi is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks