5th Gen Honda City VX Petrol Manual 205 65.08%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 13:20   #61
BHPian

re: Skoda Kushaq vs Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Wow, 10.6 is steal deal for Honda City V variant. I would definitely go for it. Personally I think White is best color for 4th Gen Honda City, don't you think so? Take your own call, all the best.
Yes sir, you are right.
10.6 Lakhs is a wonderful deal for the 4th gen Honda City. We have told the dealership to reserve one car in silver colour. And hopefully, if we decide to buy it, we wouldn't have to book the car and wait.
PetrolHead2272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 13:25   #62
BHPian

Hey bud, would suggest you to buy the City like most of the other folks here. Reason being, since an X3 is already on the cards buying a Kushaq and keeping two SUVs won’t make much sense later on. City VX manual seems like a good choice since the comfort is unlike any other car in that price range. Secondly, it looks like you keep your cars for a longer period of time and I would be more comfortable with a Honda for a longer period just because of the lower maintenance and its more reliable. Lastly, 3 years down the road you’ll need a car to learn on for yourself, City manual would be great for that too.

Happy Hunting!
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 23:20   #63
BHPian

My vote goes to the Honda City and if you are open to the option of the CVT please TD it. It makes a lot more. It is as efficient as the MT (or thereabouts) and with no known reliability issues.
The Kushaq will find it very tough to match the reliabity of a City. Looking at the ODO of your Innova we can assume that the car that will replace it, will also clock 20-25k a year. If that is the case, then opt for City with your eyes closed.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 08:30   #64
BHPian

Hey,

My take on this is rather different. Your family seem to keep cars for a long period of time. I wouldn't suggest a manual to anyone given our traffic scenario.

You really ought to consider the Kushaq 1.5 DSG. While the interiors are as cheap as the Honda City, the ingress, egress, suspension and seat comfort have all been very well sorted. May not seem like much, but these things are what matter the most to the ownership experience. Get the extended warranty for peace of mind.
Coming to the drive mannerisms, the Turbo charged 1.5 Skoda will be more fun to drive than the NA Honda City in both manual and automatic avatar. If you do consider the automatic, the ONLY place the CVT wins is in stop and go traffic, otherwise the DSG is a far superior box.
As far as ASS is concerned, I've had to deal with terrible and arrogant Honda dealers just as much as I've been irritated by Skoda's. I still would pick Skoda anyday.

If and when you do get the X3, get it and enjoy it, but don't buy based on what you would do if you have two SUVs in the garage. They're both crossovers. Heck the Kushaq just might allow you to consider a 530i/340 X Drive for road trips instead of the X3 and you'll find either of those way more comfortable and fun than the X3.

Last edited by imp! : 27th July 2021 at 08:32.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 09:33   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Both are great choices, depends on what type of ownership you are looking for.

If you want a long-term reliable car with low cost of ownership, just go with City. Kushaq will always be a big gamble when it comes to reliability, cost and service support.

If you don't mind the reliability+cost+service-support risks, Kushaq would be a clear choice over City. I drive many cars regularly (about 7 of them with 4 above D segment) and my favourite car is 2010 Fabia 1.2 petrol MT - it has got incredible suspension, NVH and sound quality. Has zero features. I use some jugaad to listen to music (aux-in and FM transmitter).

I also have a 2013 top-spec Honda City AT and it is the car I least prefer to drive even though it has many useful features (reverse parking camera, bluetooth music, AT with paddles, sunroof, leather seats, very spacious, etc.). I like the engine+paddles and space but that's about it. Suspension, NVH and sound quality are very poor = which is the main thing for me in a car. I like to enjoy my music in zen mood and not experience rubbish roads and traffic madness - in this department City does very poorly. Once I was crawling past one of those temple festivals with blaring music and my City was vibrating in resonance like it is going to disintegrate (I first thought my engine was misfiring). In comparison, you won't even feel a fender-bender accident in Fabia. This would be true for any Skoda even for the heavily localised Kushaq.

If you can afford DSG and you enjoy a spirited drive, you will go bonkers. CVT would be way superior and reliable in a crawling traffic.

Last edited by androdev : 27th July 2021 at 09:35.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 09:45   #66
BHPian

My take is a bit different and concerns the 2 brands more than the 2 cars in contention.

Skoda India is trying to turn itself around and have been working quite sincerely towards it. Honda on the other hand are becoming more and more clueless on what they plan to do here. Honda's reliability ratings have also taken a hit globally(source https://www.team-bhp.com/news/usa-jd...ar-reliability)

My pick will be the Kushaq(with extended warranty) solely due to these reasons and the build quality as mentioned by others.
senna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 10:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Kushaq is a freshly baked product and its parent company is an antonym for reliable.
Happy shopping!
Do you mean Synonym ?
dilsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 19:04   #68
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq vs Honda City

Lets break down your requirements

You are going for a new car post covid, either this car will be sparely used or sold. City makes more sense as it is reliable / low maintenance even if less used, plus it offer higher resale in the segment if you plan to let this car go after getting new one.

Since your car Dad will be driving/ driven on this one, comfort will take a higher spot. City is the better option in this regards as well. Kushaq will feel cramped after Innova ownership.

City is more elegant, practical, comfortable, has road presence, spacious and better overall package for your needs.
Asoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 00:38   #69

I am waiting for Taigun and was in similar confusion. Went for both City CVT and Kushaq AT TD yesterday. Somehow, I felt the City interior, fit and finish did not even match our recent Vento HL TSI.

IMHO,
Fun driving + ride and handling +better quality = Kushaq.

Comfortable back seat + reliability + better maintainance cost = City.
Anis Ahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 19:38   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilsoft View Post
Do you mean Synonym ?
He definitely means Antonym, because Skoda's support isn't really known to be great.
d_payne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 21:21   #71
BHPian

There are 2 situations here (based on all the details you've mentioned).

The common factors of both the situations are
1. The new car is for your dad for 1 year.
2. Your dad will be driving a new X3 in a year approximately.
3. This new car will be driven mostly in the city (NCR) limits.
4. You will keep this car for a long time (If it's only for 1-2 years, I strongly suggest you go for a used one instead of a new one for obvious reasons of depreciation)

Situation 1:
1. (Logically) Your dad wants more comfort than performance (0-100).
2. The weight on the wallet should be as much less as possible (both in initial cost and maintenance)
3. Resale value is important

My suggestion for Situation 1 is the City Automatic. If you are very particular about manual - I suggest you consider the 4th Gen City where you can significantly save your bucks.

Situation 2:
1. Performance, features are the top priorities.
2. Weight on the wallet (especially maintenance) is the last priority.
3. Resale value does not matter.
4. Assuming that you will take over the car after 1-2 years.

My suggestion for Situation 2 is the Kushaq 1.0TSI AT.

Further, the differences between both the brands/models to ease your decision making are
1. Anyday, the resale value of a City/Honda is/will be significantly better than Kushaq/Skoda.
2. Anyday, a honda is more pocket-friendly (both initial and long term) than any European brand (especially Skoda)
3. The customer and ownership experience of Honda is miles ahead of Skoda
4. Kushaq is still in the probation period while the City is revolutionarily proven.
5. Kushaq is the newer/latest between the two.
6. Kushaq is more feature-loaded compared to the City (though based on the variant you choose).
7. The characters of both cars are completely different. Sedan vs so-called SUV.
8. Honda is more "value for money" than Skoda.
9. Any car/brand can be built to last - Completely depends on how it is used/maintained.

Whether you choose the car with your Head or Heart, I strongly advise you to test the cars before.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 22:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

In this day and age I'd suggest you not to be so steadfast in going in for a manual transmission. I suggest you TD automatics and decide. I started driving in 1988 and have driven only manual's till 2017. Ever since I got the Honda City CVT 4 years back, I just can't imagine having a manual as daily driver. My last car was a manual 2005 Elantra that I owned and drove for almost 13 years. Manuals are purely for weekend entertainment for me. I don't employ drivers.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th July 2021 at 22:04.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 07:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
6. Kushaq is more feature-loaded compared to the City (though based on the variant you choose).
This is a misconception. Variant to variant City outperforms Kushaq significantly in terms of brochure. I checked this out quite a while back.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 13:18   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post

Kindly tell me which car would be better for my current usage between the City and Kushaq.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Hello brother - you are stuck in a similar conundrum I was stuck in around September last year. The only difference being that I had to make a decision between Skoda rapid and Honda city. And I ultimately went in with the German (Czech) beauty. Even though my folks back home feel I am pretty impulsive in my decision making, this particular decision was well thought out.

Firstly, Honda's 1.5 NA engine is almost 12 years old. They have been updating the engine every few years to make it compliant with emission norms and that's about it. Honda's built quality has also been declining over the years with every new iteration/generation of their vehicles. They don't seem interested in bringing new technology or better products to India. Rather, they have been taking off products from their product line up every now and then (civic and crv). It rather seems like Honda is just wanting to milk the cow they have fed all these years and extract the maximum they can.

Skoda/VW on the other hand have reworked on their engine offerings and product line up as well. They currently only have turbo-petrols to offer, which from whatever I have read up, seems to be the future of automotive industry in developing countries like India, atleast in the near future. Consider this - the Skoda rapid 1.0 tsi base varient is a turbo-charged petrol engine sedan being offered for around 10 lakhs INR. If you were to look for a suitable competitor to that engine in that segment, it would only be the Hyundai Verna turbo which is their top of the line offering for around 16 lakhs INR. No other competitor offers turbo petrol in that segment.

Now coming to the performance of turbo petrols, I wouldn't want to brag, I'd just urge you to go and test drive the 1.5 TSI kushaq manual and see it for yourself. Also do drive the City right after. I'd love to read your experience thereafter. These engines have been used extensively in cars across Europe.

You would be covered for 6 years with extended warranty that Skoda offers. Again Honda can only dream of offering such warranties. It's a testimony of how confident the car maker is of their own products.

All that I thought about was whether I want to put my money in a product that is almost 12 years old and has been spruced up with some features and accessories, does not offer extended warranties and is more expensive. Or do I put it in something that is offering me a more contemporary technology, offers great build quality, comes with a warranty for 6 years and is wayyyy more fun to drive. Decision is all yours.
pokerface23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 13:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
This is a misconception. Variant to variant City outperforms Kushaq significantly in terms of brochure. I checked this out quite a while back.
Well, feature comparison is subjective. Again it also depends on the variant/model in that specific price point. For eg - City comes with wired smartphone connectivity where kushaq comes with wireless charging + wireless smartphone connectivity. Kushaq with projector LED headlights and City with LED array setup (Though all it matters is the better visibility).
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks