Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 19:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford India Exit - Should I buy a new Ford at a heavy discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
If you are expecting to get an Ecosport 2.0L cheaper, expect your Figo also to fetch 1.5L less than your expectations.
There is always a scope of getting acceptable value for a pre owned when you exchange for a new with the same dealer. Entirely depends on the negotiations, stock the dealer has and buyers expectation.

However, it would be foolish to go for the Ecosport Diesel. With their BS6 mess and my preference for a diesel, this was a far fetched shot with a lot of humour.
Old 11th September 2021, 19:50   #17
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Should we Figo owners walk into a Ford Showroom and check for a handsome deal to exchange the Figo for an Ecosport?

Tempting times for a risk taker, as you said it could well be a calculated one making it a blessing in disguise
With the BS-6 gremlins affecting the Ecosport in a bad way, I wouldn't get the Ecosport at all. No, I wouldn't go for the petrol.

As far as the Figo triplets are concerned, it makes little sense for a Figo owner(especially the S owners ) to 'upgrade' to these cars.

I can't afford the Endeavour though, not sure about you .

And even then, I'd probably go with a Tucson or a Compass than a discounted and orphaned Endeavour.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Well, so it seems like this thread is not required.
My brother went to the Ford showroom today in Chandigarh to get ambient lighting fixed to his Figo. The guys at the showroom mentioned they will be closing down the showroom in two days and only service centre will remain open
Also, they only had two Ecosports in stock and were offering only ₹30k discount!
It seems like Ford waited for some months, confused the journos with the Ecosport face-lift spoofs and then when their stocks remained very little, they announced the exit.
Candy$Cars is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 10:50   #19
BHPian

Many ford dealerships will shut down. It might become incrementally tougher to send car for service/ repair to an ASS. In any case, since the company is not invested in the market any more, customer service/ satisfaction will not be top of mind for them. Therefore, the new warranty/ extended warranty is of no value.

Warranty or no warranty, you need peace of mind that car be taken to an ASS where competent mechanics will be able to mend the car in case of a break down.

Most out of warranty cars in the pre-owned market (~three year olds) sell at ~30% discount to the new car price. I would personally consider Ford new cars only at these levels.

The new endy is very tricky. The reliability of the engine and transmission is questionable. I shall steer clear of the new endy.
schwartz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 11:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

There is enough issues on DPF on Ford cars. There is a separate thread here for the same.

I’ll think a 100 times and still won’t buy a new diesel from Ford.

Even at very handsome discounts, I wouldn’t go for a new Ford car, because in 4-5 years, when you’re bored and done with the car, the low exchange value will be a deterrent and that calls for more money from my pocket to buy a desired nee car then.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 16:57   #21
BHPian

Wouldn't it be wise to go for the figo / Aspire base diesel variants with a huge bargain and drive it around as Taxis till their wheels come off. In that case, we need not worry about depreciation, spares will be available at least for the next five years. What ya all say?
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 17:26   #22
BHPian

Yes, if:

1) Discount on Ecosport is insane
2) Intend to keep the car for 8-10 years so you don’t countervail the discount on resale loss

Your brother obviously has his heart on the Ecosport. Ford will continue to service the existing customers so one needn’t worry too much.

Else, go for the other very competitive cars in the segment.
wordsworth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 18:36   #23
BHPian

Just curious, how much discount is currently being offered on the Ecosport and Endeavor?

Also how much discount would you like to get to be comfortable buying a new Ford today. My answer is at least 50% discount from the Ex-showroom price. We saw similar discounts when Chevrolet and Daewoo shut shop
Old 13th September 2021, 19:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Do you recommend getting an Ecosport now at discount?

So, is it wise to buy an Ecosport now? If yes, how much discount should we be aiming at?
I would advice to stay away from Ford cars now even though you get good deal if you want to save yourself from issues post purchase. Post BS6, the diesel engines which were the most exciting offerings from Ford have had reasonable number of issues, petrol engines are nothing to write about.

Investing in a new Ford would now be like entering in a cave knowing that the dragon in the form of after sales is waiting for you with open hands .
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 19:20   #25
BHPian

Ford Ecosport owner and fan here, don't buy a new EcoSport now and I doubt the discounts would be enough to even justify that. EcoSport had a separate fanbase (a lot like VW Polo) and I think risk taking enthusiasts would have already cleared most of Ford India's stock after the announcement.

If one really has his/her heart set onto it, I'd recommend getting a 2-3 year old well maintained example as the masses are panic selling their almost new Ford cars (bad decision). That would help one get a good driver's car at very affordable prices considering the already crashing resale value.

If it has to be a new car, then the Nexon and XUV300 are very competitive crossovers which are safe and provide solid road manners. Avoid the sonet, it's based on the Santro's platform and we all have seen how that fared along with the Seltos in the GNCAP crash tests. The chassis blueprints of the sonet shared by a BHPian along with those of the Seltos clearly show that Kia hasn't even bothered to use Ultra high strength steel for the Indian Sonet. One more thing, the rear of Hyundai/Kia crossovers sags a lot even when partially loaded.

Again, if it has to be the best driving SUV and one isn't bothered much about service support and resale, then the EcoSport remains the paramount emotional choice. The rock solid stability and fantastic dynamics (considering the height) have to be experienced to be believed.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 13th September 2021 at 19:22.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 22:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Just curious, how much discount is currently being offered on the Ecosport and Endeavor?

Also how much discount would you like to get to be comfortable buying a new Ford today. My answer is at least 50% discount from the Ex-showroom price. We saw similar discounts when Chevrolet and Daewoo shut shop

I was in a similar situation. Just dropped into a Ford showroom today morning in the hope of finding a good deal for a new / demo or a pre owned Ecosport or Freestyle Diesel.

Though the sales advisor put up a brave face in answering all my queries about the situation, indicated there were no cars for sale at the moment. Only a few freestyles were expected and a discount indicated could be only INR 25000 on the ex show room price. There were couple of Demo Ecosports - Top End Diesel variants priced at INR 12.50 Lakhs for which , I was told that they were already booked. ( All run between 8 to 14 K KMS )

Overall I understood, there were not many or any cars at all !! In the news, it was indicated that the new car inventory was just 1000 cars and this would probably translate to 2-3 cars per dealership on an all India level.

At this price points, its definitely not worth buying them no matter how good the brand. Its better off to look for a mid segment Nexon rather than plonking the money for a demo top end Ecosport.

I rather felt genuinely sorry for the sales person , who probably was fighting his emotions and turmoil and still putting up a brave face answering all questions . Hope the dealership works out some alternatives to all the employees involved in some kind of transition . He even offered to call me once the cars arrive at the dealership or even otherwise !!
mjkaushal is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 09:24   #27
BHPian

I was very much keen to go for the EcoSport BS6 Diesel S variant. I had visited two showrooms in Guwahati and asked about the potential DPF issues in the said car. But it seemed that they were either ignorant or reluctant to shed light over the matter. I also told them about Ford's probable exit from India, which they nullified to the fullest. Disappointed, I decided to wait till the DPF issue is solved and Ford's assurance to stay full-time in India publicly declared. In the meantime facelift of EcoSport began to surface which I disliked a lot. Then came the shocker to many from Ford, I was optimistic but was also prepared for the exit like some. I felt sad and couldn't sleep the whole night (of last Thursday, 09/09/21) because I was hoping against hope to be an owner of a brand new EcoSport Diesel BS6 sometime. Ford made a fool of Indian public by its drama of facelift and clearing it's stock as much they can, in the meantime. They had also reportedly asked the dealers which model they require to sell in the coming festive season, so much for the drama.
Now, about the question of going for the EcoSport, it is a matter of heart over head, nothing from the current sub four metre compact SUVs will ever be able to replace it (despite the diesel sporting an archaic eight valve head).
And about myself, I may purchase it if I get a good discount and am able to for heart over head which I am still not clear as I am currently in a place where Ford has no presence and hope to be able to return to Guwahati to visit Ford Showroom on Sunday(19/09/21), see for myself subject to stock availability.

Last edited by Fastdriver : 14th September 2021 at 09:37. Reason: Important points added
Fastdriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 09:35   #28
BHPian

I strongly suggest not buying a new Ford. I own a Figo 2016 and rate it very high on reliability (I had an Innova, so you can guess my yardstick). So I am not worried about keeping the Figo. However, buying a new Ford is not advisable.
Silver Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 09:50   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, so it seems like this thread is not required.
My brother went to the Ford showroom today in Chandigarh to get ambient lighting fixed to his Figo. The guys at the showroom mentioned they will be closing down the showroom in two days and only service centre will remain open
Also, they only had two Ecosports in stock and were offering only ₹30k discount!
It seems like Ford waited for some months, confused the journos with the Ecosport face-lift spoofs and then when their stocks remained very little, they announced the exit.
Good for your brother.

I think this expectation that there's going to be a fire sale of Ford cars is not going to eventuate in the immediate future. It may happen towards the end of 2022. I think any leftover stock of new, used (Dealer, Corporate and Factory) cars may be offered at good discounts for employees or just auctioned off.

People keen on getting an Endeavour should talk to any existing Ford employees for upcoming auctions of the company cars. They are well maintained.

One must be really brave to go get a new Ford from the showroom.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 10:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you recommend getting an Ecosport now at discount?
My elder brother owns a 2016 Figo Petrol (wanted to buy the Ecosport then but couldn't due to lack of funds). He was looking to buy an Ecosport since couple of years but couldn't due to his marriage and then he got Covid hard!
When I told him that Ford is stopping car sales in India, his response was - 'saste me Ecosport le lun?'
His job is transferable but postings are in state capitals only.

So, is it wise to buy an Ecosport now? If yes, how much discount should we be aiming at?

You would get some good discounts, no doubt.
But, please keep in mind, the potential loss in depreciation/resale value as well.

Secondly, stay away from the Diesels.
Ford's DPF issues have become a can of worms now.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks