Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 20:40   #46
BHPian

re: Replacing my not-so-old Kia Seltos DCT

Ideally I would have suggested BMW 330i like many ( if not now then when , with 50L in budget you should own one of the beemers ) However since you talk about the usage pattern and know more about the single lane Kerala roads, I can only suggest to wait for the launch of upcoming Tiguan facelift 5 seater which will not disappoint you I guess ( else Tiguan Allspace but I couldn't extrapolate your need of a 7 seater from your messages )

Last edited by Salnv : 15th September 2021 at 20:47.
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 23:10   #47

Have you looked at the Skoda Superb L&K,? An absolutely beautiful machine and very very comfy.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th September 2021 at 08:31. Reason: space between words. Thanks.
Old 16th September 2021, 00:16   #48
RJK
Senior - BHPian

If your heart is set on the bmw and you can bear the ownership costs, get one without thinking twice. I’d strongly NOT recommend the Camry if you like to drive and especially if you’re in love with the dynamics of a BMW, as I am. I can tell you with confidence because we own a 2021 Camry. If your priority is family’s comfort then Camry is a perfect choice, if not, it’ll be another car in your list of compromises.
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 00:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Attachment 2206204

I have compromised so much till now. I want a car that can impress me with driving dynamics and I don’t want an SUV. Not anymore.
Go for the BMW! Nothing else will satisfy your want. Spend big bucks now and hold on to her for more years
CrossLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 06:45   #50
BHPian

Based on inputs from BHP ians and advice from my friends, I am planning for the following TDs in the coming weeks

- VW Tiguan Allspace
- VW T ROC - Seems like VW has surplus stocks and many have cancelled bookings and shifted to TAIGUN
- BMW 320Ld / 320d
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota Fortuner (I hated the previous generation one)
- Skoda Superb Sportline
- Mini Cooper Countryman JCW

Plus
- VW TAIGUN 1.5DSG (GNCAP rating not yet out - Could be less than 4*)
- XUV 700 - once it comes out

Can potentially wait for the New Skoda Kodiaq 2 TSI DSG as well
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 07:52   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacing my not-so-old Kia Seltos DCT

Just get a rear wheel drive low slung sedan. Life is too short to be driving SUVs and front wheel drive cars.
anandpadhye is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 08:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on inputs from BHP ians and advice from my friends, I am planning for the following TDs in the coming weeks

- VW Tiguan Allspace
- VW T ROC - Seems like VW has surplus stocks and many have cancelled bookings and shifted to TAIGUN
- BMW 320Ld / 320d
- Toyota Camry
- Skoda Superb Sportline
Wondering how Fortuner sneaked into that list. The only reason I can see is it's another car in the same budget bracket. I'm keen to hear from you after your TD. It's still fresh in my memory - once you talked about the body roll of Seltos in our WA group. And you TD ing Fortuner

Pick the beemer and forget the body rolls of crossovers and SUV s. And you would be on a roll instead !

330 i missing from the list. Add that instead of Fortuner. Glad to see the Cooper in there too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 16th September 2021 at 08:18.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 09:49   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- VW Tiguan Allspace
- BMW 320Ld / 320d
- Toyota Camry
- Skoda Superb Sportline
I will report you to mods if you don't put 330i at the top of your list :-)
androdev is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 10:07   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

- VW Tiguan Allspace
- BMW 320Ld / 320d
- Toyota Camry
- Skoda Superb Sportline
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I will report you to mods if you don't put 330i at the top of your list :-)
Moderator Note: Pls. add 330i to the top of your list.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:01   #55
BHPian

Since you have mentioned you commute 50-60km per day on single lane roads in Kerala, I would advise you against a BMW 330i UNLESS you plan to take the car on long drives too often (I am assuming you are not buying 330i for status). Yes, BMW 330i is a great car to drive. But where? You may feel frustrated at times for failing to utilize its full "potential" in that kind of traffic, as I also feel sometimes in my Audi Q5 in BLR traffic. That builds up over time.

Why not try crossovers like X3/GLC/Q5 (used in 50L budget just like I have) given that roads may not be great 330i lies low.

Yes, theoretically handling will never be sharp as 330i in those but you have to ask yourself how many times will you be in that scenario.

Else Tiguan/Kodiak may be good choice too.
And 330i will guzzle fuel, don't expect to get more than 6-7kmpl. Since your daily commute is long, consider diesel (even 320d too, believe me it is absolutely fast).
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

Adding my 2 cents:

Before shortlisting cars you need to shortlist what all you intend to do with car. Type of travel, number of people while traveling, possible travel destinations, luggage. Second comes what are you expecting from car- fast performance, brand value, Luxury, utilty, comfy vs sporty ride etc. You either shortlist cars and then changes your requirements/needs or finalize your needs/want and then shortlist cars.

From the shortlist you shared the cars are all over and I am unable to understand needs/requirements. There BMW(for brand/luxury), Superb/Camry(For comfort/space), Mini(Fun to drive hatch), 7 Seaters crossover and SUV and few compact 5 seaters too.

In Jan I did a mistake of shortlisting cars first, went ahead and test drove Bimmer only to realize my need/requirement did not match and If I bought one, I will have to change quite a bit to suit the car. We as a family like to travel, hit offbeat place, stuff luggage and like to have a good view of things happening around. Initially shortlisted BMW 3 and Fortuner based on my budget, a test drive made me realize how wrong I was. If not for a test drive, I probably would have picked 3 and ended up changing quite a bit of my requirements/needs.

Don't get me wrong, 3 series(especially 330i) is fantastic car and should pickup one if that's what meets your needs/requirement but then everyone has different needs/requirement.

Sorry if you find this too much gyaan/rant, please ignore.

Last edited by PrideRed : 16th September 2021 at 11:34.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:54   #57
BHPian

Hi,
Since your commute is on single-lane roads, night drive in a sedan could be difficult because of the head beams from the incoming traffic. I had faced the same issue. Kerala roads break during monsoon and I think SUV can deal them better. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Dr ST : 16th September 2021 at 12:18.
Old 16th September 2021, 12:21   #58
BHPian

330i all the way since budget permits but get the BSI+Secure for complete peace of mind.
Old 16th September 2021, 12:22   #59

Superb / 330i would be my suggestion.

The only compromise with superb is the handling compared to the 330i. The superb's engine and gearbox are more than good enough for our conditions. If you want to satisfy both family and yourself then superb will be the best bet. 330i is a no brainer otherwise. Octavia is not worth it IMHO. The slight advantage in handling front does not justify the compromises you are making over superb. Would have suggested to try out Camry if it had a gearbox anything other than CVT.
Old 16th September 2021, 13:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Moderator Note: Pls. add 330i to the top of your list.
I have already sampled the 330i. It’s there up with the best. The list is the pending test drives
330i is the default choice for now

sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks