Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 17:36   #61
BHPian

Re: Replacing my not-so-old Kia Seltos DCT

If you are dealing with Trucks, buses and other large vehicles, definitely get an SUV

For me, there is a lot more confidence when tackling these vehicles in an SUV (moved to a CRV from a Corolla Altis some time back)

Very difficult to explain this, but I feel the trucks and buses respect SUVs just a little bit (increases with size of car). Also the visibility of an SUV is just scientifically far better than that of a sedan (just due to the height)

I feel that sitting in SUV is easier on the knees, and back too
vivekrvcse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 18:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
Also the visibility of an SUV is just scientifically far better than that of a sedan (just due to the height)

I feel that sitting in SUV is easier on the knees, and back too
I think that depends on individual car designs. I used to face a bit of an issue with my Duster occasionally, because of the seat posture. That issue never happened in my Creta or other sedans/hatches.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 16th September 2021 at 18:48.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 18:53   #63
BHPian

While it's great to see that in these times your pure heart is beating all out for the BMW sedan, for the kind of roads we got, an SUV with its higher profile rubber and everything else will probably make more sense.

I just had a 500 km-long drive with the Citroen C5 Aircross and while for how it's priced, most don't even want to look its way, it's something else as a vehicle. Its super refined 2.0-litre engine is eager to rev and is smooth as butter, paired with a gearbox which just makes it one of the perfect engine-box combos out there. But what will floor you is the ride, which is only a notch below riding on the three-chambered stuff filled with air - at a fraction of the price and without the maintenance niggles.

Does it handle? Oh Yes! The steering is light but it will point the car where you want it to and is dialed in according to the character of the car. For how the suspension handles the rough stuff, the car surprises you with the limited roll that's apparent when attacking corners. Grip is plenty and the chassis sticks to what you ask of it.

Inside, it has everything you'd need and a tall hump which separates your space and that of the co-driver - neat! The lights work well at night and you don't really care about dodging potholes all that much because you know you'll just glide over. For a family, the three rear seats are interesting, although I don't know how good or bad they are. Boot space is massive and the whole damn thing feels well built and to last. Lastly, it's one of those few automobiles out there which still exude some character. Won't hurt to take a look I guess. I hope you do and are offered a fat discount. And these guys are planning a sub 4m shortly so the brand will be here for another 10 year at least.
karan86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:37   #64
BHPian

If I were in your place, I would retain the Seltos and get the BMW 330i.

Since your wife liked the performance of Seltos 7DCT, I would suggest you to retain the Seltos for city driving and get a BMW 330i as a weekend ride or if 7 seater is necessity, then go for VW Tiguan All Space or if 7 seater is not necessary, go for VW T-Roc.

But, still, my recommendation is to go for BMW 330i as you'll not regret yourself later on.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 21:35   #65

The 330 is a no brainer although as a side note, the Audi S3 launches next month.
Carguy9902 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 08:53   #66

Go with the BM or a superb. I have made the mistake of buying the Compass 4x4 Diesel Auto , pre face lift and ended up selling it within 9 months. The gear box was the culprit.
dhruvlath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 23:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

I understand that you don't have a pressing need to replace the Seltos immediately. So if you are prepared to wait, here is a wildcard entry - Tesla Model 3. Low slung sedan, may be available in RWD if you prefer that and will probably smoke every other car on your list.

But I have no idea if it will fit in your budget when it comes.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 20:45   #68
BHPian

BMW dealership called back with an offer for the nex X1 20d S drive for 52L. I was not interested. X1 is a okayish proposition for 40-42L, but not definitely worth asking 50L, leave alone 52 lacs. They had an "offer" on the 220i sport for 50 L which includes BSI for 3 years, once again a non attractive deal.

They said they would give no discount on the 330i sport. The price remains to be 57L OTR for the sport and 64L OTR for the 330i M Sport. They say 330is are difficult to procure and asked me to expect no discounts.

Seems like Kerala is not an ideal place to buy Beemers as the dealers here are not ready for any negotiation. Seems like the rich Keralite NRIs and businessmen have spoiled the BM and Mini dealerships. I recently had a chat with another bhpian friend from Kerala who was pissed off by EVM Autokraft Cochin "offers". I would like to know the inputs from Cochin BMW customers. Is this the same approach through out India?

Seems like its time to take the TD of the A4 and the new GLA 220d.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 19:54   #69
BHPian

Enquired with Audi Kochi regarding on going offers for the Q2 and A4
They said, they have huge demand and there is vehicle shortage due to global chip issue.
According to the executive, they have a large number of bookings which they are finding it difficult to cater to.
Old 24th September 2021, 20:10   #70
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Seems like Kerala is not an ideal place to buy Beemers as the dealers here are not ready for any negotiation. Seems like the rich Keralite NRIs and businessmen have spoiled the BM and Mini dealerships. I recently had a chat with another bhpian friend from Kerala who was pissed off by EVM Autokraft Cochin "offers". I would like to know the inputs from Cochin BMW customers. Is this the same approach through out India?
Yes, the discounts for BMW are minimal in Kerala. I got Rs. 1.5 lakhs discount for 320d when I bought it in 2014 from Platino Classic Kochi. BMW X1 isn't worth the money.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th September 2021 at 21:07. Reason: Grammatical error
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 06:13   #71
BHPian

I have an option for lateral upgrade
I have an offer for a 2019 September 7k km run KA registered L&K 1.8TSI for 23L
I might have to cough up a few of more lakhs (including 1.5l for re-registration in KL) than what I would get for my Seltos
Asking price for the L&K is more than that in KL, however I am planning for a negotiation and would try to negotiate for 20-21L

I am not sure of this deal, as I have bought only new cars, but if enthusiasts find it worthwhile I can definitely try this and keep the Octy for 2-3 years until I have the moolah for a 330i (without a big fat loan).
Old 28th September 2021, 09:06   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I might have to cough up a few of more lakhs (including 1.5l for re-registration in KL) than what I would get for my Seltos
Asking price for the L&K is more than that in KL, however I am planning for a negotiation and would try to negotiate for 20-21L

I am not sure of this deal, as I have bought only new cars, but if enthusiasts find it worthwhile I can definitely try this and keep the Octy for 2-3 years until I have the moolah for a 330i (without a big fat loan).
If the car is in good condition 23 lakh for KA is not bad considering it’s less driven and 2 years old. Then you need to spend 1.5 lakhs (as you mentioned) as road tax, so might turn out to be slightly expensive. I would say bargain hard - even at that price you won’t go wrong as the new one is anyway 30+ lakhs.
It’s whole lot of fun with Octavia and definitely an upgrade over Seltos in all parameters
Old 28th September 2021, 10:09   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

In 3 years the Skoda's value will be rather less, you'll be back to square 1. You may as well retain the KIA and exchange it for your Beemer at that time.
Old 28th September 2021, 10:16   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure it is 1.5 L only for re-registration? Or does calculation include include the road tax that you will get back from the Karnataka RTO?
Old 28th September 2021, 10:29   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Are you sure it is 1.5 L only for re-registration? Or does calculation include include the road tax that you will get back from the Karnataka RTO?
Fact: KL has more road tax that KA
Above 20L it is 21% in Kerala vs 18% in Karnataka
If I am not getting refund from KA I will have to spend close to 3.7L
100% tax distributed for 15 years implies 6.5 % per year
21% of the on road price means 4.0194 lacs in tax after 13% deduction for 2 years means around 4 lacs in tax.

KA has 18% road tax. So refund from KA will be 3.6 lacs. Additional tax to be paid along with charges would come to 40k+15k = 65k
However KA would refund the tax only after 4-6 months of getting NOC
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks