Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 10:38   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacing my not-so-old Kia Seltos DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
KA has 18% road tax. So refund from KA will be 3.6 lacs. Additional tax to be paid along with charges would come to 40k+15k = 65k
However KA would refund the tax only after 4-6 months of getting NOC
What is the additional tax of Rs 15K?

The rest is correct. You will have to pay 13 years road tax in KL, show the receipts in KA and apply for refund of 13 years remaining road tax from KA.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th December 2021 at 00:16. Reason: Trimming quoted.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 10:53   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fact: KL has more road tax that KA
Above 20L it is 21% in Kerala vs 18% in Karnataka
Isn’t that too much of administrative activities and running around as in the first instance the car is already priced in that higher range? Rather wouldn’t it be better to wait and find a good example in Kerala itself, the used car is cheaper than in Bangalore.

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2021 at 08:37. Reason: Trimming quote
sunikkat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 11:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

Will the tax refund be applicable if there's an ownership change? I guess only if the existing owner re registers the car in a new state does the road tax refund comes into picture. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 20:04   #79
BHPian

Took the test drive of the New Audi A4

Pros
- Brown trim looks gorgeous
- Instrument cluster is slick, still does not have the charm of sweeping mechanical needles
- Supple ride, silent engine, spoiled by Hankook tyre noise
- Mild hybrid tech and coasting mode looks good, especially on relaxed drives
Cons
- Seating a bit too low
- My driving position leaves inadequate space for those at the back
- Found it hard to find an ideal driving position, got spoiled by pseudo SUVs
- Cannot believe that the car reaches 100 in less than 8 seconds, no drama, just breezing through
- Steering is heavy at low speeds, no feedback at low speeds

Checked out the Q2 as well - TD planned for next week
Seating is perfect in the sports seat of the Premium Plus 1
Ergonomics are spot on
Missed the electric seat adjust
Small car with non-existent rear seat space
Would have been a good option for 35L, not for 60L here for the Premium Plus II
Old 10th October 2021, 10:12   #80
Team-BHP Support

Do check out the new GLA 220D 4matic. A few people who have gone and checked out the car have come out very impressed. It's a very good overall package with good performance, drive, space and features.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 21:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Would have been a good option for 35L, not for 60L here for the Premium Plus II
Let me ask you, Is there any scope for the Overpriced C5 Aircross here. Excellent Ride quality, engineering and drive. But you should definitely check the rear legroom. It will also be exclusive
You may get some good deals also

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2021 at 21:07. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
DevSunit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 06:11   #82
BHPian

Lateral Upgrade it is - Skoda Octavia Gen III 2019 - 1.8TSI DSG L&K

Replacing my not-so-old Kia Seltos DCT-img_3455.jpg
As mentioned by many in the forum, selling a two year car is a big No-No
I would lose 30% of the OTR price easily. Only way to offset that would be a a lateral upgrade. Hunted for a lightly used 330i, most of them have prices which would make the EMI same as that for a mint one.

330i sport version is not easily available. The prices have been raised. The only other option I had was to opt for M sport 330i or the 330Li - Grand limousine which after discount comes close to 63 big ones on road. That's quite a huge amount considering my maximum stretched budget was 50L, that too with a big loan in mind.

I stumbled upon a lightly used 2019 Generation III Skoda Octavia L&K which had done only 7k km. It had ticked all the boxes in a car which I was looking for - Safety, value for money, performance and reasonable handling. It had four years warranty until 2023 which can be extended to 2025. Reliability of the DQ200 gearbox is a big issue, but I am ready for it. I felt it to be better than the new gen IV Octavia which felt like a different car. I would not have bought the new one anyway. A used 330i is very hard to find now. Buying a new 330i m sport is like paying an amount equivalent to your housing loan EMI which felt a bit too much financially. People are buying new 330is like crazy here. May be, 3 to 4 years down the line I would be able to find a reasonable pre-worshipped one with low mileage.

But Skoda Octavia it is for the time being. If I get a good price for the Seltos, it would be like spending close to 4L for the lateral upgrade, which in my opinion is a good deal for now. The depreciation losses in my seltos would be offset by the saving on the Octavia. At the end, taking the gearbox reliability into consideration, it would be like jumping from frying pan to fire, but I have had enough time in the frying pan. Need some time to get used to the car, but I am already loving it. Getting used to a sedan after using a taller car (I am not using the word "SUV") is a bit of a problem especially on your ageing body, but once in place, I am at a much better place. I would miss the 360 degree better resolution camera and those ventilated seats. But I am ready to sacrifice those.

A big thanks to all here who chipped in with their suggestions. I would like to thank bhpian and friend Bibendum90949 for all his support and his time spent for discussing upgrade options.

Shall chip in with the Octy experience soon. I have a long list of mods planned. So Octy it is for now. The rest of the "budget money" stays with the bank, as I wont borrow it.
Replacing my not-so-old Kia Seltos DCT-octy1.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th December 2021 at 00:13. Reason: Typo.
sandygordon is online now   (47) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 06:52   #83
BHPian

Congrats for buying a well maintained Skoda Octavia. It's a perfect upgrade from your Seltos in terms of performance, drivability as well as comfort except for ground clearance. And, your Octavia looks georgeous in black colour.

This gen Octavia is purely a driver's car when compared to the present gen Octavia, which is more of a chauffeur driven car than a driver's car.

BTW, did you sell off the Seltos or retaining it along with the Octavia?
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 07:03   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats! Excellent decision and the car looks amazing.

No denying 330i is a better driver's car overall but Octy is a very close second. When it comes to engine+gearbox, there are both equally exciting and personally I enjoy DQ200 more than ZF8. Reliability be damned, just do full paisa vasool of that dual clutch with full on manual controls. After you scare yourself with speeds, find the real joy in doing moderate speeds at redline with paddles - that's where the engine+dq200 truly shine!

Happy and safe motoring!
androdev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 07:51   #85
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lateral Upgrade it is - Skoda Octavia Gen III 2019 - 1.8TSI DSG L&K

Quote:

As mentioned by many in the forum, selling a two year car is a big No-No
I would lose 30% of the OTR price easily. Only way to offset that would be a a lateral upgrade.

I stumbled upon a lightly used 2019 Generation III Skoda Octavia L&K which had done only 7k km. It had ticked all the boxes in a car which I was looking for - Safety, value for money, performance and reasonable handling. It had four years warranty until 2023 which can be extended to 2025.
I just stumbled on your thread and after your initial posts my top recommendation was going to be to go lightly used for a 330i. Given it was not available, I think what you’ve selected is absolutely the best and most practical choice under the circumstances. Many congratulations on the lateral upgrade.

I don’t think its worth breaking the bank completely and the Octavia should offer brilliant performance at a sweet price point accounting for the used car benefits. The loan amount (much higher for used cars) can be curtailed too given the overall lower ticket size.

Enjoy the ride - she looks killer in that black shade.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 16:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Skoda Octavia it is for the time being.
Congrats for the lateral upgrade to the Octavia
With the DSG and the powerful 1.8 liter engine in a sedan (coming from the taller Seltos), you will definitely have a much fuller driving experience.
The L&K trim will also ensure some comfort at hand hopefully, since you may be used to a lot, in the Seltos.

And with just 7000 km on the odo, this car is almost for new!
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 19:18   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent choice, and wish you many many years of joy with your Octavia. I have a MY16 Octavia & a MY20 330i Sport, and really admire the prowess of the former at it's price point.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing my not-so-old Kia Seltos DCT-img_20211104_164516__01__01.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 20:35   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
The L&K trim will also ensure some comfort at hand hopefully, since you may be used to a lot, in the Seltos.
Thank you

The Seltos has spoiled me with features. I would miss the ventilated seats and 360 degree camera, but everything else is superior in the Octavia.
Old 7th November 2021, 20:50   #89
BHPian

A great choice indeed! I too would hop on such an opportunity should I get one, have been eyeing a deal on either the Octavia/Superb for a long time now to use one as a daily driver!

Given that you are upgrading from a lovely to drive car like the Seltos, this is one of the very few justifiable upgrades.

Looking forward to more threads about your adventures and mods with this beauty!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 17:27   #90
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, that's a nice upgrade. As said there is no comparison between Seltos and Octavia. Hope you have many miles of happy and safe driving.
The mod potential are unlimited and addictive for this car.
sunikkat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed