Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which nice handling <15L car for me?
Hyundai Venue 1.0 Turbo petrol 5 2.96%
Hyundai i20 NLine 1.0 Turbo Petrol 64 37.87%
Honda City 1.5 Petrol 42 24.85%
Maruti Baleno 1.2L Dualjet 2 1.18%
Hyundai Verna VTVT 4 2.37%
Other 52 30.77%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 14:15   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unhappy with my Ford Aspire, want a nice handling car. Which one for me?

Petrol - Skoda Rapid 1.0 tsi

Diesel - Nexon 1.5

I like the altroz too, but the same engine and a much better 6 speed gearbox in Nexon is a joy to use.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 15:47   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd suggest checking out the Altroz. Given your shortlist I have a suspicion that you'll not be fond of this particular T badge - but the Altroz is one excellent handler that is also very comfortable in the ride. Quite good cabin space & boot as well.

Surprisingly - the taller NEXON also handles very well. But the ride of the Nexon is bumpier than an Altroz.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:05   #33
BHPian

My vote will go to i20 N-Line DCT. Its new, has a whole different value to offer, has plenty of oomph, fits your budget and its likely to give you that driving pleasure you are looking for. Of course, test drives will further give you the +/- matrix which focuses on a eventual decision.

Having owned two Hyundai's in the past (i20 and Verna) - I vouch for Hyundai service as competent, reliable, cost effective and spares are available quick.
allinbalance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:31   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest waitig for the Taigun launch. You may be able to get a comfortline automatic a.little over 15 lakhs as this has been a constant demand from many prospective buyers. Skoda did not offer the base trim with auto transmission and one has to stretch to 16.5 lakhs or so to get the Ambition TSI Auto on the Kushaq. But VW has often offered Auto transmission with the Comfortline trim of cars like Polo and Vento and may do the same again with the Taigun, since they desperately need to tap into new micro-segments where competition is weak to achieve their volume ambitions of 5000 cars a month. The handling of the VW will be spot on and very enjoyable.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:46   #35
BHPian

I voted for N line DCT from the list, however since you are a driving enthusiast, I would wait for VW Taigun and watch for the breakdown issues for Skoda Kushaq to get solved
Salnv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:56   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
Apologies for adding to the confusion, but why not TD Skoda Rapid?
I have never driven Aspire, hence cannot compare it with Rapid but I expect it to a better handler especially, after modding it with Bilstein suspensions and upgrading to stickier 205 section tyres.
Exactly. I too own a 2019 Rapid, and can vouch for its steering feedback and handling. Have had little doses of fun piloting it between those police barricades on the highway [when the road is deserted]. Mine is still a stock car though, 2 years into the 6 years Warranty and SkodaShield period. Desperately controlling the itch to upgrade to Bilsteins till it ends.

Voting for Others.
Guru_GPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:22   #37
BHPian

Voted for others. None of the options come close to vento ,rapid and polo. If you want gadgets and bling then these are good options but if sheer driving pleasure is the goal then I am afraid none of the options you chose would deliver.
apache_aayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

A completely out.of the box candidate - how about XUV700 AX3 petrol? Should be a bit over 16 lakhs on road and will be most powerful car you can buy south of 40 lakhs today. Handling has been very well taken care of, from all the videos from the M&M head of engineering floating around. The MX would be well within your budget but the AX will have all the features you need at a slightly higher price.
Old 21st September 2021, 21:04   #39
BHPian

If owning a Ford again is not an issue in these times, then Ecosport petrol would fit the bill, if still available. Drivability is very good and there is an automatic too.

If pre-owned route is an option, then Compass diesel would be my pick.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:12   #40
Team-BHP Support

I am not suggesting yet, but, why are some BHPIANS suggesting a CSUV / SUV genre? OP wants a nice handling car, older Figo was one and so was the Punto.

To be very honest, the Skoda / VW’s steering feel is not the same as them. It would be sacrilege to mention Swift here, as it has good dynamics, handling, steering etc, but, is too scary (because of the light build) out on the road if approaching good speeds. Plus, the 1.2K is good, but, is a 1.2 after all.

Maybe a nice Abarth Punto or Linea T-Jet or a very good deal on a GTi would be sweet.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd September 2021 at 12:45. Reason: Added T Jet
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 22:14   #41
BHPian

I see most of the votes are for the Nline, but IMHO, its a downgrade from a sub sedan to hatchback. Would refer you to take a CSUV or a full blown sedan.
Old 21st September 2021, 22:20   #42
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I see most of the votes are for the Nline, but IMHO, its a downgrade from a sub sedan to hatchback. Would refer you to take a CSUV or a full blown sedan.
Usually sub-sedan to a premium hatch is an upgrade. Consider the case of previous generation Amaze 1.2 petrol and Jazz 1.2 petrol. Jazz is a City without boot and Amaze is an extended Brio. Jazz is mechanically an upgrade from Amaze. Hyundai Aura to new i20 is an upgrade. Tata Tigor to Altroz is an upgrade.
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 02:16   #43
BHPian

Thanks for the post. I'm window shopping for a new car with somewhat similar requirements so this is a very helpful thread for me.

I was sold on the Ecosport diesel but now with Ford gone I'm back to square one. My next best pick seems Polo TSI despite the small boot because wife is absolutely not OK with a sedan.

I'll keep a watch on this thread : )

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd September 2021 at 12:57. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:35   #44
BHPian

I had a hard time upgrading from my 2012 Figo 1.4 TDCI too. But the car has done 1.9 lac kms and I was finding it a bit sluggish to drive after driving my dad's Vento 1.6 TDI and my friend's polo 1.5 TDI.

I also extensively drive a new(er) Figo 1.5 TDCI. The newer Figo has a much better engine, but the car feels worse than my current Figo TDCI in all other aspects.

The Vento / Rapid and Polo feel much better to drive and have relatively sorted dynamics when compared to the rest of the cars sold today. But they can't even come close to the handling and steering feedback of the Figo / Fiesta and the Punto / Linea. My close friend also has an Abarth and I love driving it.

I test drove multiple cars back to back. Nios Turbo, Nexon, Altroz, Polo 1.0 TSi, Rapid 1.0 TSi, etc, last week. And I came home extremely disappointed. None of the cars offered the same feel as my ageing Figo.

The next morning, I saw an ad on OLX for a used 1.6S and picked it up the same day. Ford decided to announce its production stoppage the next day. :P

But do I care that I 'upgraded' from a diesel to a petrol? Do I care that I 'upgraded' from a 2012 car to a 2009 one? Not even for a second. Review of the 1.6S coming soon.

Please introspect on what you mean by handling. If it is outright grip that you're looking for, then a Polo / Rapid with tyre + suspension upgrade will suit your requirements to the tee. If you want the same steering feedback, then only the erstwhile HPS cars will make you smile. My pick would be a used Linea T-Jet / Abarth Punto.
Kumaran93R is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am not suggesting yet, but, why are some BHPIANS suggesting a CSUV / SUV genre? OP wants a nice handling car, older Figo was one and so was the Punto.
Because nice handling new small cars simply don't exist. The OP wants excellent build with reasonable amount of power with atleast a light clutch and sadly there are no hatchbacks that fit into the criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Do check Altroz Diesel too. Very sorted dynamics. In fact I was in similar boat as you previously. Recently picked up Altroz Diesel and was very surprised at how well it steers,
+1 for the altroz. Ended up getting a XUV300 because it only costed 1.5 lakhs more than the Altroz and had even superior build quality and space.

I owned a first gen Figo for 6 years and sold it after 97000 kms similar to the OP here. While the Figo's excellent steering and handling due to low GC can't be matched, the XUV 300 or the Nexon for that matter are reasonable compromises if you can accept the slightly taller vehicle and high GC.You can't corner like the Figo for sure but the added power has ensured that my day to day drives are comparably faster now and the hungry engine means I get impatient on the road too.

Oh and have to thank the extremely light clutch compared to the Figo which was a nightmare in traffic. For example, covering an 1 km stretch in the Chennai suburbs today morning took me 25 mins

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks