Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 20:35   #1

Pre-owned Luxury SUV for 25 lakhs?

Hello,

I am looking to buy a used SUV around the price of 25 L. This will not be a replacement but an addition to my garage. There are 2 purposes of this car and that would be to travel through extremely bad road conditions when I am visiting my warehouse (this would be once in a month at max), and the other would be to just cruise around in Mumbai.

I currently drive a 2.0 TDI Octavia, I love how powerful and fast it is. Also this is a 2015 model, so I may sell it, if the SUV is able to completely replace it or else I might keep them both. I would prefer the SUV also to be powerful and fast.

I am leaning towards 2014/15 ML or a X5. Not sure if I should go for such an old car. I have never bought a used car so I would appreciate some feedback on the same.

Also if used car is not that big of a deal, then If I could get some options in the Mumbai region would be great.
tirthshah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 10:56   #2
BHPian

re: Pre-owned Luxury SUV for 25 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthshah View Post
I am looking to buy a used SUV around the price of 25 L. This will not be a replacement but an addition to my garage. There are 2 purposes of this car and that would be to travel through extremely bad road conditions when I am visiting my warehouse (this would be once in a month at max), and the other would be to just cruise around in Mumbai.

I am leaning towards 2014/15 ML or a X5. Not sure if I should go for such an old car. I have never bought a used car so I would appreciate some feedback on the same.
Under a budget of ₹ 25lakhs, it is not possible to get a well-maintained F15 X5 from anywhere. You may see some examples being listed in ₹ 25-30lakhs price bracket in the used car market for sure, but those will not be in good shape for the truth to be said. As a car, the W166 ML250 CDI is a good option, it still looks clean and understated as all the last generation Mercedes were. If you think that reliability issues are a thing of early-2000s for Mercedes, that isn't the case with W166 M-Class. This particular generation of M-Class is known for issues related with suspension, wheel speed sensors, door locks, air-con, etc.

The first-gen Q7 is not a bad option to consider, but it is terribly outdated now, especially the interiors. You'll definitely found it to be cramped compared to its huge exterior dimensions and road presence. Like the W166 M-Class, this one also has some known issues which may cost you a bomb to repair. I would recommend you to choose something like a Kodiaq, so that it'll tick all boxes rightly. It offers 75% of a F15 X5/ W166 M-Class/ Q7 luxury at almost same price when it comes to used car market. Not only the Kodiaq, it is also possible to get decently-maintained 2015-16 F25 X3s under your budget.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
Under a budget of ₹ 25lakhs, it is not possible to get a well-maintained F15 X5 from anywhere. You may see some examples being listed in ₹ 25-30lakhs price bracket in the used car market for sure, but those will not be in good shape for the truth to be said. As a car, the W166 ML250 CDI is a good option, it still looks clean and understated as all the last generation Mercedes were. If you think that reliability issues are a thing of early-2000s for Mercedes, that isn't the case with W166 M-Class. This particular generation of M-Class is known for issues related with suspension, wheel speed sensors, door locks, air-con, etc.

The first-gen Q7 is not a bad option to consider, but it is terribly outdated now, especially the interiors. You'll definitely found it to be cramped compared to its huge exterior dimensions and road presence. Like the W166 M-Class, this one also has some known issues which may cost you a bomb to repair. I would recommend you to choose something like a Kodiaq, so that it'll tick all boxes rightly. It offers 75% of a F15 X5/ W166 M-Class/ Q7 luxury at almost same price when it comes to used car market. Not only the Kodiaq, it is also possible to get decently-maintained 2015-16 F25 X3s under your budget.
Thank you for your response. My family owns a Kodiaq already. I might look into the X3. Also any idea where I could get a decent X3 in Mumbai.
tirthshah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Considering you mentioned bad road conditions, why not look into the XC90 or a LandCruiser Prado instead? These would be more durable than the other luxury SUVs that you have mentioned.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 20:40   #5
BHPian

Theres a 2018 GLA 200 thats done 34k on the ODO with an asking of 27.50 which I'm sure can be negotiated. I'm sure you love the Skoda, but this one has the ability to become your daily driver! Do let me know if you're interested, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. (:
Old 21st September 2021, 09:20   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-owned Luxury SUV for 25 lakhs?

You've never bought a used car before, want one for 'extremely bad' road conditions and have a budget of 25-lakhs which really isn't that much for a luxury SUV. In my opinion, you shouldn't burn your money. A pre-owned Endeavour / Fortuner / Alturas G4 will be far better suited to the intended purpose. You'll get a newer model, it'll be more reliable and way more rough-road friendly. I would prefer to complete a rough road in an Alturas & come back home, than be stranded on it in an old Benz.

Additionally, these 3 have greatly bridged the gap to luxury SUVs. Drive the Endeavour 3.2L and you'll realise its giving you 75% of what the 60-70 lakh Germans do (much like your Octavia versus a C-Class).

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2021 at 09:23.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 10:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

With your budget, I would not recommend a luxo barge SUV. While a Fortuner may be a perfect companion its definitely not made for “FAST” driving even though it is powerful. I would actually prefer the 3.2 Endeavour for a relatively more luxurious experience.

I would suggest some of the following options, which will be genuinely rough road friendly as well as pretty luxurious in a relative sense. And you won’t have your heart in your mouth driving a super luxury German in one of these steeds.

1. 3.2 litre Endeavour (you can capitalise on the recent massive depreciation hit from Ford’s exit). I read one BHPian planning to sell his in fact on another forum - not sure if you’re in the same State.
2. Fortuner. Bullet proof reliability and super resale value even when you go to sell. For ultimate peace of mind you need look no further.
3. Brand new XUV 7OO. I think its a great car and if it’ll give you a new car with a very capable engine and perhaps better ride quality than the ladder on frame alternatives. You have to deal with 1st gen niggles and a potential wait period but these are factors you might be able to take a call on.

If you can stretch the budget a little bit:

1. New Jeep Compass diesel. It’s luxurious, compact but comfortable and 4x4 capable. The manual will be the more fun to drive option although I would personally only always pick automatics.
2. Citroen C5: An outside candidate, badly priced but great ride quality and should make a comfortable companion for rough use once in a way.
3. I would not recommend the Kodiaq / Tiguan because of their bad ride quality. Else they would have been fun to drive soft roaders too if you could get some used ones.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:36   #8
BHPian

I would definitely recommend the Endeavour 3.2. If the roads are as bad as you say they are, it's a lot of stress for a luxury SUV, especially an older used one. You should look at proper off road capable cars, which would be handy during Mumbai rains as well. Sitting high up in a full sized SUV amidst crowded roads with terrible drivers is an advantage in itself. I've personally found that in crowded roads with very bad traffic, it's easier to drive a full sized SUV than a luxury sedan, people just give way more often. With that being said, the exit of Ford will cause shortages of spare parts during services. Your options are to find an expert and independent garage, or consider other full size SUVs such as the Fortuner. Given that you daily drive the Octavia, it's entirely possible that this car could become your daily driver instead. I'd recommend the compass too, but it's an off road capable SUV in the same segment as the Octavia. I believe that one ought to take advantage of depreciation if they're considering used cars, and the Fortuner and Endeavour offer a better value proposition than the compass. Like the others in this thread, i wouldn't recommend getting a full size luxury SUV at this price, and for your usage pattern, I believe a full size off roader would be the best fit.
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you're not averse to life style pick up trucks and are not specifically looking for German luxury, Isuzu D max V cross is a wild card entry here. I'm suggesting you this since you wanted a SUV to tackle bad roads though X5/X3 is what you've short listed. It can tackle bad roads much better than a Fortuner or Endeavour, is as reliable as a Toyota. It's very well built and is designed to take abuse. It has a suspension that's extremely quite in operation and it just glides over big potholes. I've never driven a car as capable to tackle bad roads as this one. Worth a look even if you don't end up buying it. You may be in for a real surprise.

All this if you're the one behind the wheels since it's not clearly a chauffeur driven option. Else you'll have to occupy the front passenger seat. It can double up as a cargo hauler too. It's available in AT and a two wheel drive version too, and would be a tad over your budget if you're going in for a new one. Being an AT it can still be managed in city pretty easily and can be really handy during monsoons and floods. Finding a parking slot would not be easy though. This would be a worthy addition to your garage in my opinion. The AT versions were available for a brief period prior to BS6 and hence would be little tough to find in pre owned market. If it's MT, you can easily get it for 13-15 lakhs or so.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd September 2021 at 17:42.
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

I suggest pre owned Kodiaq L&K. Even though it is not in the league of X5 or ML, being a relatively newer car, this has enough features to keep you in comfort and safe. You may get an example which has done under 20 K kms.
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:56   #11
BHPian

Hi

I just bought an f25 x3 3.0d here in Delhi. It too is a 2014.

I also own a 2007 landcruser prado 120 with the 1grfe engine.

The only work done on the f25 x3 since I've bought it was a leaky front strut and front suspension bushings. Also, a full service at my local garage.

The prado has been a host of problems since I've got it. Leaking radiator, new battery, new tires. Also need a full restoration on the inside. I might have got the only unreliable prado in the world!

I would say if you find a clean example with service history and all. You go with it. Remember the f25 is extremely stiff and gets jostled around in even averagely bad roads. The prado on the other hand with its hydrolic suspension and bags in the back just crushes bad roads like no other.

My suggestion would be check new delhi as because of the ngt 10 year rule alot of these high end cars are going in the sub 20 lakh range. If you're lucky you will find super clean examples. I do know a few cars here. Land rover, an x5 and a q7 from my research when I got my x3 just 3 weeks ago
Old 7th October 2021, 20:26   #12

So, I am ready to spend around 45 for a new car and we are using some of our sources to fetch us a new car at a good deal. Might get a sedan as I would love driving it and would just prefer getting a tourist vehicle crysta whenever I am going for work to those pot hole filled roads.

Thank you everyone for your insights and help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks