Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 12:50   #46
BHPian

Re: ₹12-15 Lakh Budget | Need an automatic for daily usage

I'd suggest your dad's friend to get the City CVT as it'll be an upgrade from his present Manza in terms of rear seat comfort and leg space and gives decent mileage despite being iVTEC engine.

And, it has safety features like ESP, VSM, TC, HA and 4 airbags from base variant, which is icing on the cake and he can stretch his budget a bit and get City VX variant, which has extra 2 airbags and sunroof as well as extra features and 16 inch wheels compared to 15 inch wheels in base variant.

Second choice would be Vento/Rapid 1.0 TSI just for its performance and can blow City's 1.5 iVTEC engine out of the water and has decent rear seat comfort and leg space though not close to City in this department due to transmission hump in the middle.

Personally, I won't recommend him the Nexon if rear seat leg space is important. Had sat in the rear seat of Nexon and felt the rear seat is lacking in leg space and especially after sitting in 4th gen City, which we own presently.
Old 3rd October 2021, 00:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai_Tejas_1478 View Post
i would strongly say that he should check out the magnite once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartsubrat View Post
Magnite xv premium turbo cvt is all I guess fits into your requirement. It carries everything you desire for, i.e :
At this point, the Magnite is mostly out of consideration mainly due to the unknown future of Nissan in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Vee View Post
The 4-star rating of Vitara Brezza will not change, the facelift has brought only aesthetic improvements like the headlights, the grill and the bumper, unlike Nexon.
Thank you for your insights into NCAP rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
The dark horse: Nexon EV. Perfect for someone upgraging from a Manza looking for a city car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I know the requirement is strictly petrol, but I read it as 'no diesel'. If that's right, then hiw about Nexon EV?
Funny you said it! After talking to the management and a bit more persual, it seems like there is some possibility an EV charging point can be set up in his parking slot. He is moving towards the EV, now I think only time will tell what is to come. He will mostly check it out tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
Just to add to the post before me by BHPian ron178.
Thank you for your insights into NCAP regulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Normally I wouldn’t recommend the City but given your requirements and not being open to used cars I’d say get the City or Verna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
I'd suggest your dad's friend to get the City CVT as it'll be an upgrade from his present Manza in terms of rear seat comfort and leg space and gives decent mileage despite being iVTEC engine.
I think he will move into the SUV category now. Given the rains that have blessed Mumbai & the suburbs, it's safe to say that a SUV is a much better choice than a Sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Only vehicle with 4 or higher GNCAP rating and a proper automatic transmission is Brezza.
Astor looks like a really good proposition right now. The first MG car that I'm actually liking (bar the ZS EV). Have recommended it to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
I own a Skoda Rapid 1.0 MT & have driven my friend's Polo 1.0 AT extensively.
I don't much about the 1.0s since no one in the close family owns one. I will agree with you that the 1.2 is a great engine-gearbox combo. Has served us well and touchwood, will do so for a long time. Unfortunately, sedans are running out of consideration now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1397 View Post
This is your VFM reply (XL6 should have around 3 stars)
Agreed. Still, the XL6 has dropped down a bit on the list due to its looks (supposedly, my aunt doesn't like the look of it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
One of the safest bet will be the Maruti Suzuki S-Cross AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKMADDY17 View Post
As an owner of the S Cross Petrol, the only downside I can think of apart from the missing bling, is the average air con performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
Since it's bombay traffic, sub 4m cars will be a boon to navigate and park.
Thanks guys! S-Cross is third on the list. Agreed with the fact that it is a really competent product even 6 years into it's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeshmbalaji View Post
Hi Akash,

For sedate driving along with driving plus rear seat comfort, the city CVT 5th gen feels definitely smooth as silk. I have driven this in crazy Bangalore traffic and come to realise how good the decision to take a supposedly boring CvT turned out to be.
Hi Rakesh, thanks for the insights on the City! They are really helpful to everyone on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
# Honda City CVT (whatever highest variant fits the budget)
# Kia Sonet petrol A/T (its a really nice car. The only catch is its a DCT if I’m not mistaken)
# i20 N Line A/T
Safety ratings and weird issues popping up with HML-KIA has led to those two being dropped. Regarding the City,
Quote:
I think he will move into the SUV category now. Given the rains that have blessed Mumbai & the suburbs, it's safe to say that a SUV is a much better choice than a Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I'm not well qualified to make recommendations regarding the other requirements so I'll elaborate only on the safety portion of your requirements.
Ron178, thanks for taking out your time to get stuff cleared up from Mr. Alejandro Fumas. Really appreciate it!

Updated Criteria:

1. SUV
2. Budget extendable to just above ₹14.5L, OTR, Mumbai/Thane.
3. No compromise on safety (4* or a min. 3* for a really, really VFM product)
4. Do note, he does have a family of 4 (Wife + Daughter ~ 16 + Mother ~ close to 80). They don't travel far very often though, so usage still remains in the City.
5. No Diesels.

New List:-

1. Tata Nexon EV XZ/XZ+Lux
2. MG Astor
3. Maruti S-Cross
4. Maruti XL6

Anything else he should be looking for? Also, if there are any Nexon EV owners, can anyone send a final OTR for Mumbai? Please try and share a driving experience too. Thanks in advance!
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 19:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Your initial post and this one are essentially screaming S-Cross AT and I would recommend the Alpha in this case, the gentleman deserves to enjoy the best available in his requirements
My suggestions, enclosed inline :
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
1. Tata Nexon EV XZ/XZ+Lux : I would advice against any EV for him since he prefers petrol and ease of service, EV IMHO will not give him the peace of mind he is seeking and he's correct on his side. EV performance/issues during flooding is an unknown. Recommended read (Issues & niggles with the Tata Nexon EV).

2. MG Astor : No idea on this but not recommended since its a new car and his concerns on the "pack up and leave". Recommended read (The Indian Car Buyer | Struggling with problems in brand new cars).

3. Maruti S-Cross : seems perfect for his needs

4. Maruti XL6 : the looks aren't preferred and he doesn't need 6 seats
Based on what I concur from his requirements, peace of mind is paramount to him hence any reliable car which has been around niggle for more than 2-3 years should only make the shortlist.

Which one to buy should only be decided after those guys take a TD.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by shancz : 8th October 2021 at 20:00. Reason: typo
Old 8th October 2021, 20:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It’s the want of bling and negligence towards mechanical robustness which makes people choose the Korean twins.
I'm interested on this statement since the two vehicles on contention for my first car currently are the Kia Sonet and Tata Nexon. Both Diesel variants.

I'm sitting with a budget of 15L + 2L of buffer (which includes post purchase accesories like better headlights, dashcam etc. depending on need).

And to be very honest, although I'm keen on bringing home the Nexon, Tata dealers really make it hard to.

1) After a full week of following up with 3 separate showrooms in Bangalore, I got only 1 test drive and that too on a vehicle due for servicing (as per the SA). One showroom did not even bother calling me after my request, and another showroom while responsive kept saying their vehicle met with an accident and hence is under repair.

2) On the car that I did get to TD, the front brakes were jittery and I could literally feel the ABS fighting back on the pedal during a hard braking situation (not overspeeding, but simulated within city speed limits). Second issue was a problem with clutch which made power delivery a problem. Third was a very unrefined rattly engine. Fourth was that the steering was too heavy, fifth being a very bouncy ride at slow speeds (the last two suspected because of a low tire pressure warning on the left front tyre).

The overall impression, needless to say, was quite underwhelming. Among all the issues in the car, first to third were quoted as a problem in the vehicle which is due servicing. However, for the fourth and fifth concerns the SA said the car is like this, however, none of the reviews mention it this bad.

Now on the other hand, when I called Kia, I got a follow-up call immediately and the SA showed up at my doorstep within a few hours for a TD. The engine was extremely refined, car well kept, and the interiors were far better with all creature comforts.

For someone who's unaware, what other aspects of mechanical robustness should one consider? As far as the engines go, I have heard that their drivetrain is quite reliable. Is it the safety aspect which is a concern?

Last edited by krishnakumar : 8th October 2021 at 20:49. Reason: typos, grammar
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 21:40   #50
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I'm interested on this statement since the two vehicles on contention for my first car currently are the Kia Sonet and Tata Nexon. Both Diesel variants.

I'm sitting with a budget of 15L + 2L of buffer (which includes post purchase accesories like better headlights, dashcam etc. depending on need).
I won't be buying an AMT if I had the budget of 17 lakhs. Speaking of mechanical robustness, the torque converter of Sonet is robust one'. The same cannot be said about the AMT of Nexon. I have already know a few cases of AMT breakdown in Tata Nexon.
Old 8th October 2021, 22:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I won't be buying an AMT if I had the budget of 17 lakhs. Speaking of mechanical robustness, the torque converter of Sonet is robust one'. The same cannot be said about the AMT of Nexon. I have already know a few cases of AMT breakdown in Tata Nexon.
In both cases, I'm planning to go with manual only. Although I'm okay with the TC unit in Sonet, 17L pushes it to my limit with nothing left over for additional accessories.

In this case, is there anything I should worry about in case of Kia?
Old 8th October 2021, 23:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And to be very honest, although I'm keen on bringing home the Nexon, Tata dealers really make it hard to.

1) After a full week of following up with 3 separate showrooms in Bangalore, I got only 1 test drive and that too on a vehicle due for servicing (as per the SA). One showroom did not even bother calling me after my request, and another showroom while responsive kept saying their vehicle met with an accident and hence is under repair.

2) On the car that I did get to TD, the front brakes were jittery and I could literally feel the ABS fighting back on the pedal during a hard braking situation (not overspeeding, but simulated within city speed limits). Second issue was a problem with clutch which made power delivery a problem. Third was a very unrefined rattly engine. Fourth was that the steering was too heavy, fifth being a very bouncy ride at slow speeds (the last two suspected because of a low tire pressure warning on the left front tyre).

The overall impression, needless to say, was quite underwhelming. Among all the issues in the car, first to third were quoted as a problem in the vehicle which is due servicing. However, for the fourth and fifth concerns the SA said the car is like this, however, none of the reviews mention it this bad.

Now on the other hand, when I called Kia, I got a follow-up call immediately and the SA showed up at my doorstep within a few hours for a TD. The engine was extremely refined, car well kept, and the interiors were far better with all creature comforts.

For someone who's unaware, what other aspects of mechanical robustness should one consider? As far as the engines go, I have heard that their drivetrain is quite reliable. Is it the safety aspect which is a concern?
Firstly, I feel you should consider the XUV300 if considering a diesel MT. Never go buy the sales experience to decide on a car. And I can assure you the after sales experience of Kia is going to be equally terrible. Now coming to the Koreans, My experience is not just limited to India but having observed cars in the Middle East too.

My statement wasn’t about safety at all. That’s not up for debate but a reality. These are unsafe cars.period. Talking about reliability, Apart from team-Bhp no one talks about it. We have a thread highlighting issues around these Korean cars- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

I have personally observed issues like failure of EPS motor, rattling steering rack, cooling coil and AC compress related trouble, airbag clock spring failure, Brake & Clutch cylinders related issues, premature wear of clutch, brake failure due to ABS & the infamous paint peeling. These issues are not new. I have seen them in most hyundais since 2010.

Koreans manage the media really well hence these are never highlighted. Most Hyundai dealers are thugs and the replacement cost of most of these parts is expensive for their respective segment. Mostly Hyundai has no control over their dealers.

Hence if you really want a peaceful ownership experience, please skip on the Koreans.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 8th October 2021 at 23:08.
Old 9th October 2021, 07:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Firstly, I feel you should consider the XUV300 if considering a diesel MT.
XUV3OO is in consideration but in 3rd spot due to (1) a very low bootspace (2) lack of rear AC vents. These are two features (or lack there of) that I have struggled with in my our family car for the past 15years or so. So now that I get to own my own car, I want the car to have a rear AC vent and a big enough boot to carry luggage of 3-4 people.

Quote:
Never go buy the sales experience to decide on a car. And I can assure you the after sales experience of Kia is going to be equally terrible.
Quote:
Hence if you really want a peaceful ownership experience, please skip on the Koreans.
I understand. But it's easier said than done. I like the Nexon overall, but with a very lackluster TD I'm starting to question myself. I am going to take a couple of more rounds of TD with the Nexon just to be sure.

Also, at the end of the day, which car exists (apart from Maruti) that gives piece of mind ownership? I ask this genuinely since Tatas and Mahindras have their fair share of problems. So I'm super confused.
Old 9th October 2021, 09:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
XUV3OO is in consideration but in 3rd spot due to (1) a very low bootspace (2) lack of rear AC vents. These are two features (or lack there of) that I have struggled with in my our family car for the past 15years or so. So now that I get to own my own car, I want the car to have a rear AC vent and a big enough boot to carry luggage of 3-4 people.

I understand. But it's easier said than done. I like the Nexon overall, but with a very lackluster TD I'm starting to question myself. I am going to take a couple of more rounds of TD with the Nexon just to be sure.

Also, at the end of the day, which car exists (apart from Maruti) that gives piece of mind ownership? I ask this genuinely since Tatas and Mahindras have their fair share of problems. So I'm super confused.
I had a corolla which never had rear AC vents but the AC was a chiller. Same goes for the WagonR and Figo. The Laura on the other hand has a rear AC vent but the overall cooling effect is not even close to the Corolla. Unlike the Crysta which has a proper rear AC, these vents don't make a big deal. Speaking about the boot space, I have seen my family friend travel in his 300 and the boot was utilised perfectly for a family of 4 adults and 1 kid. Every brand has issues and even maruti does. Not gonna deny that but the issues in Hyundai are super expensive to rectify and in most cases hazardous too. They just have done a good job in hiding it. The Tivoli on which the 300 is based is honestly a well engineered product. Heck even the new tuv aka Bolero Neo is terrific but obviously it doesn't appeal to a lot of urban buyers.
Old 10th October 2021, 07:43   #55

Quote:
At this point, the Magnite is mostly out of consideration mainly due to the unknown future of Nissan in the country.

Updated Criteria:

1. SUV
2. Budget extendable to just above ₹14.5L, OTR, Mumbai/Thane.
3. No compromise on safety (4* or a min. 3* for a really, really VFM product)
4. Do note, he does have a family of 4 (Wife + Daughter ~ 16 + Mother ~ close to 80). They don't travel far very often though, so usage still remains in the City.
5. No Diesels.

New List:-

1. Tata Nexon EV XZ/XZ+Lux
2. MG Astor
3. Maruti S-Cross
4. Maruti XL6

Anything else he should be looking for? Also, if there are any Nexon EV owners, can anyone send a final OTR for Mumbai? Please try and share a driving experience too. Thanks in advance!
I would suggest him to consider Renault Kiger RXZ CVT Turbo Petrol, it's a great car for sedate driving in traffic conditions and it has handled the rains of Hyderabad very well. Renault's service is pretty reliable + friendly and their future is not as uncertain as Nissan's. I got it for around 12L rupees onroad in Hyderabad, and it's been an absolute pleasure.
Old 10th October 2021, 15:36   #56
BANNED

Quote:

The price range of ₹12-₹17 lakhs (₹15+₹2) can get many desirable vehicles from various makes.

Sonet is a good vehicle loaded with features that I actually wanted to buy. Since my Son didn't find the back seat spacing adequate we had to move away from Sonet. Its a jazzy one full of gizmos definitely attracts younger and trendy buyers. But I feel this is a good dutiful city commuter than for longer drives.

I would definitely consider Nissan Kicks, Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiger, SCross, XL6, XUV700 5 seater. Magnite and Sonet have similar features except for Bose Speakers, ventilated seats and Sun Roof. Sonet seems to be a better choice with those but Magnite CVT (vs iMT or AT in Sonet), Elegant Design making it a lot better value for money at ₹3.5 -₹4 lakhs lesser than Sonet Top variant.
Old 11th October 2021, 17:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

Something weird happened. Again.

I don't know what is with people in my family. I might be the worst influence on them every single time! My relative has decided to take the plunge and book the, Drumroll please, VW Taigun. Booked it today in Silver 1.0A/T Topline guise (my favourite spec!). Ecstatic for him, since it's his first car in 11 years. The Manza will be kept. Have also warned him about the EPC-Fuel Pump issue, although I really hope VW fixes it before the deliveries start.

If anyone wants to know why the other options were not considered, they may post here and I'll be sure to explain when free.

Now coming to why I call this weird. The last time I posted a what car/bike? thread was to decide whether to get a Classic 350 or a Meteor 350. Even after initially booking the Classic, he went on to book the Meteor. This time as well, my relative has forgotten everything he told me about, walked into a VW Dealer, fell in love with the Taigun and booked it. Should expect delivery in a month or two.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 17:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Happy to announce that my relative has taken delivery of his Taigun on 3rd November.

Attaching some pictures.

₹12-15 Lakh Budget | Need an automatic for daily usage-img20211104wa0005.jpg
₹12-15 Lakh Budget | Need an automatic for daily usage-img20211104wa0006.jpg
akash_v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 23:34   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Happy to announce that my relative has taken delivery of his Taigun on 3rd November.
Wow, that's quite a plot twist, it's been an year now, is he enjoying the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks