Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Keep or sell my Ford?
Keep 208 87.39%
Sell 30 12.61%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 20:15   #31
BHPian

Re: My Ford | Keep or Sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Don't sell your car. You clearly like your car very much. There's not a single reason to sell your car at the moment.
Wait for at least 2 years, I would say. If you're not happy with Ford India after that, then sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Absolutely no sense in selling a lovely vehicle which has no real replacement in the Indian market at this time.
Yes, have decided to wait and watch and enjoy my FS for some more time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I would've asked you to keep but considering that a poll was added now.
I didn't add it! Not sure who did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I am on a similar boat.
5 years, 90,000 on ODO - with Ford's exit, wondering if I should part ways with 1.5TDCI Figo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
Hi.
I own a 2019 Freestyle Petrol Titanium+. So, I quite understand the dilemma of the thread starter. My family members have been panicking more than me about the whole thing, and have been pestering me with questions to which frankly I don't have any answers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Would certainly suggest keeping the car. I am a ford customer myself and I only see the service centers being more proactive in reaching out for service reminders, now that their livelihood depends completely on it. As long as my current is in good condition, I see no reason to sell it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
I own a 2016 Figo AT (the infamous DCT version)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I own the 2010 FIGO 1.2 Titanium variant and after 11 years
We're together in this folks! I have decided to stay and play the waiting game! The car itself is good and I just enjoyed a drive from Hyd to Vizag and back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
For new car, if I was you, I will look for S Scross. I liked how the car drives on bad roads. Quite comfortable and vastly better than rest of the MS products as far as quality goes. It genuinely surprised me since I had some different image in my head. Otherwise, Nexon (diesel) used to be my favorite but I see you are looking for petrol. All the best!
I thought of S-Cross but have decided to stop putting pressure on my mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
My humble advice, use the car for at least 5 more years, and switch to an EV. If you still feel like getting a new car, don't rush to sell. Wait patiently for a good offer and then sell
Both are good ideas, I would want to opt for the first one at this time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhinchak View Post
Ford leaving india has many second guessing to sell their car or not. Ford will continue manufacturing for export markets so I don't think there will be an issue regarding spares.
That’s exactly my concern, but let’s see how it goes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevishnu View Post
p.s. - We have a beater 2008 chevy spark at home, no resale value, but the car works just fine - it doesn't know there is no resale value!
Spares availability for "popular" cars continues, though some wait times could be longer.
Buy more expensive cars that run longer, then run the wheels off them.
Dont upgrade 1 segment at a time (Alto--> WagonR--> Baleno--> Ciaz in that order is a bad idea).
Buy the variant with most safety features so that you dont feel unsafe later.
Thank you, the P.s and second advice are also good. The exact problem is that there is nothing quite like it which I can upgrade to in the immediate next segment unless I go to 16-17 lacs boundary! It is not something I want to do as I am very keen on having 6 airbags in the car for sure. XUV 300 has it but the space is a no-go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
If there is dip in resale value, you have already lost the money as soon as Ford announced its exit. Your car is just 3 years old.
The reason to sell for you must be an upgrade and not because of Ford's exit.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
The pessimism with respect to ownership of a Ford is all time high right now (exhibit A - this thread)
Suppose you end up putting ~5-6L more on a new car right now. If you keep the car for 4-5 years and save/invest that money, even at 10% CAGR, it can bring you in Creta/MG Astor territory for your next purchase - a true upgrade.
Thank you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Hi Bhaskara, since your car is 3 years old and had a lot of life left, you can continue to keep the freestyle. If you sell it now, it'll go for a loss and people will try to low ball.

I'm in touch with a dealership for an excel sheet of all the spares list for all Ford cars and boodmo will be our best buddy for uncommon parts. Plus there's a guy in Chennai who can give genuine Ford parts for a slightly lesser amount.
You've got a lovely car which is an absolute package and enjoy it till the vehicle gives up on you(if won't if you maintain it diligently)
Cruise control can be installed in Freestyle as well. Already one person in TN has installed Cruise control retrofitted in a petrol Freestyle with Idumbakumar's help.
Thank you sir, will keep an eye out! Will need to explore the Cruise control option. But the problem with the car is the long time it takes on a highway to get to the 100 mark in case of a drop in speed due to unforeseen hindrances 😊
bhaskar.guru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 20:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
I didn't add it! Not sure who did it.
I guess the mods wanted to help you out and going by the results looks like they did
In that case I would also revert my vote back to keep like mentioned earlier.
With a petrol manual you should be the least concerned of all Ford owners, enjoy the car.

Maybe during the next year or so some interesting launches happen which fulfil your needs to the T. You can think about a change then. But like all the wise folks here have cautioned not to buy the first version of any car. Kushaq is a good example of the same.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 20:45   #33
BHPian

I have 2003 baleno sedan, and service / parts wise am in the same boat. In small town where I am , the service station boys give my car strange looks. I have depended on FNG for service all these years and for parts , get it from big cities. Keep it and enjoy the drives.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 21:44   #34
BHPian

I would say don't sell in panic mode. What you are going to lose if you don't sell today, nothing. Currently, there is no clarity on how the service going to be in the future, that is the only unknown fact. So if the service is going to be good/decent, you are good to go. (If you sell today or one year down the lane, you will not gain any resale value). I am just cross posting from other thread, currently Ford has more than 1 Million cars on the road . It is a profit making business for them, in the last financial year, Ford made a profit from service around 2.8 billion rupees (which is not a small number), so my belief is that , at least 80% of the current service centers will be there for next 5 years and 50% service centers there for next 7-8 years ..
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 01:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't worry for 5-6 years. Just enjoy the car and do the right preventive maintenance at a Ford ASS or competent FNG.

Unless you have have a troublesome variant like the DCT, I wouldn't sell a Ford today.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 08:39   #36
BANNED

My 2016 Figo 1.5 TDCi just crossed 1.2L kms. I have decided to run it for as long as possible(hoping to see the 3L mark) and then retain it as a project car for a 2jz or LS swap later.

If I were to by another car that, God be willing, could be a Isuzu Dmax Crew Cab.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 11:09   #37

Keep it. Its still fairly new, you have at least a couple years depending on usage, before parts might be needed. Also, ford makes parts that are common for vehicles that share the same platform. For example, Expedition, F150, Edge all share a lot of parts. So you might still be able to source parts online, just research the other Ford vehicles that match yours.
Indiguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 10:40   #38
BHPian

I'd suggest to keep your Ford till it lasts. You don't get a car, which is not dynamically sorted and better built as your Freestyle anymore.

The day when Ford exit news came around, I was at my friend's house and the same friend owns a 2013 1st gen facelift Figo Titanium Petrol in rare yellow colour and told him to sell it off as he won't get the resale in the future. But, since he got connected to the car much due to the driving dynamics and build quality (he always say that the build quality of his Figo is way better than newer Marutis), he told that he'll be retaining the Figo as well even if he buys a new car.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 29th September 2021 at 10:57.
car_guy1998 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:59   #39
BHPian

I own a 2017 Figo and was fully intending to keep it regardless of Ford exiting the country, confident that it would continue to serve me for years to come.

Now something has happened that is making me question that loyalty - an autorickshaw broke the rear view mirror while trying to squeeze past. It has been a couple of weeks since and the replacement part is still not available, nor is anyone able to tell me when it will be.

If there is a problem with spares within 3 months of Ford's announcement, it certainly doesn't inspire confidence for the years to come. As one of the members above pointed out, one doesn't want the car to be be sitting awaiting parts.

The episode has been a wake-up call for me on what can happen when the manufacturer is no longer committed.
Old 21st August 2022, 10:50   #40
BANNED

Should i keep my Ford Classic diesel and Fiat Linea diesel or sell?

Hi all,

I own a 2013 Ford Classic diesel (83000kms) and 2016 Fiat Linea diesel (70000kms) both manual. i moved abroad and visit India once every 3 months for a week, thats about 1 month in a year. My dad was using the cars until recently however, he bought a Renault Kiger petrol, automatic recently mainly for ease of use in city owing to its small size and it being automatic. My cars are hardly used now. I drove his Renault Kiger and didn't really like it especially when i have options like the Ford Classic and Fiat Linea.

When i do visit India i have quite a lot of running around and anticipate close to 2500 kms of usage, i.e about 10000 kms annually which is good enough to keep a car in shape. I don't see myself returning back to India in the near future.

With Ford service agreements and Jeep Compass sales, servicing both the cars should not be an issue at least in the near future. Both the cars are in top shape till now and i love both of them. Parking is not an issue.

In a nutshell, I would be in India for a short time in every visit and i need a good car when i am there. Ola/ Uber not an option because i travel inter state, highways and remote places too and my trips will not be timebound. The Renault Kiger can be available for me fully when i am in India.

In this backdrop, what do you suggest?

Poll:
Should i keep my Ford Classic diesel and Fiat Linea diesel or sell?
1. Keep both
2. Sell the Ford Classic diesel
3. Sell the Fiat Linea diesel
4. Sell both and use the Renault Kiger when in India
water is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 12:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should i keep my Ford Classic diesel and Fiat Linea diesel or sell?

No point keeping both of them if you are not in the country most of the time. Keep the one that you prefer more and sell the other asap would be my suggestion. Infact considering they are both diesel, I would recommend letting both go and replacing both with a normally aspirate petrol car of your choice as that would be more adept at being left for long periods of time unused without too much maintenance hassle. Perhaps replace both with a single Fiesta 1.6S?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st August 2022 at 12:17.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed