Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 15:31   #46
anb
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
In case of an accident , the Sonet will be broken in to 2 separate entities (It's larger sibling Seltos has proven that already). Do call all the people who are suggesting sonet for a larger debate over this matter and they don't stand a chance by miles . Sonet is not at all a well rounded product as per their saying , it's a compromised product on major issues like safety ,running costs and ride over bad roads in our country .
Even videos of BMW sedan, Volkswagen Passat, Honda City et breaking into two separate entities are available in Internet. No car is safe over 120 kmph. Sonet is not crash tested, but saying that Sonet will be broken into 2 pieces in case of an accident is too much. There are more chances of Nexon AMT braking down on a highway and putting you into accident than the reliable TC transmission of Sonet.

Last edited by anb : 13th October 2021 at 15:34.
anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 16:40   #47
BHPian

re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

First of all, wanted to say that this is what I love about the TBHP community! I'm sure many prospective buyers in this price range and looking at the CSUV segment would've been in the same dilemma and can make an informed choice thanks to all of your views.

A BIG thanks to everyone on this thread for sharing your thoughts.

Since there are many posts talking about the variety of pros/cons of both cars, I'm taking the liberty of summarizing a few quotes non-verbatim for somebody just checking in.

Quote:
The scale tips in favor of Nexon given the primary usage of highways + broken roads. The Nexon is expected to be more safe and pliant while being abuse friendly in long-term. While Tata ASS is a hit or miss and minor niggles are to be expected, it's a much better bet to take considering the other factors.

The Sonet would have been an excellent choice if the requirement was for a Diesel+Auto combination.

There is a strong feedback on reconsidering the XUV3OO. Even though the smaller boot space and lack of rear AC vents are features that would be missed, these aren't something that cannot be lived without. For a small family the boot space is fine and the main AC being quite powerful gets the cabin cooled quite easily.
Note: I have also recalibrated my list and approach which is given at the end for anyone who's interested to read.

A few clarifying follow-ups on specific posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboOnTarmac View Post
I have had initial niggles with Nexon (ECU was replaced and battery wiring voltage leak was fixed) by the service center under warranty. Had done 3 free services and one paid service already. I am happy with the service I got at my service guys in Bangalore.
I'm based out of Bangalore. Can you please let me know which service center you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaydandekar View Post
I would recommend the Nexon (...) found the diesel+AMT combination far superior. This after driving a Polo GT for 3 years!

Also contrary to the horror stories of ASS, my experiences in Mumbai have been top notch at their service centers. Spending time with the service associates and building a relationship does wonders.
This is a very interesting feedback, one that is not seen very often. Can you let me know how the car performs in kickdowns etc? I searched with multiple dealers in Bangalore and not a single dealer has a Diesel+AMT test drive car. They are all offering Petrol+AMT for test drive, but it would be fundamentally different if I'm not wrong.

Also, which service center do you take your car to in Mumbai? Since my wife is from Mumbai, I'll need one reliable ASS in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
You can improve interior ambience of the Nexon with some premium fabric seat covers and quality floor mats like 7D. I have put Elegant fabric covers which are easy to clean and fit is just like that of leather seat covers and you dont feel the need for ventilated seats at all.
Thanks for sharing this! Can you please share any pictures of the fabric covers? Also, where you bought this from?

-
-

Finally, on to what I'm planning to do next based on the overwhelming responses to this thread. Please read on only if you're interested.
  1. I've lined up 2 test drives with two different Nexon for the coming weekend. Idea is to match and get a better feel of an average Nexon drive.
  2. I have put XUV3OO back into the list and strongly reconsidering that as a potential buy.

Another important impact this thread has had on us is that it helped me in opening up my wife to consider pre-worshipped cars. Earlier, her stance on this was a strict no. But thanks to the intensification of this problem, she has now said it'll be worthwhile to check although not fully sold.

With that in consideration, I've added the below two options for a potential buy and wanted to hear what experts think. Both of them should land at around 16-17L (slightly higher than my original budget but since it's a segment above, I'm okay to consider them).
  1. Jeep Compass - There are quite a few 2018-2019 models (mostly Longitude and Limited variants), with less than 30,000km which are available for quoted prices of 17-18L. I'm assuming that I'll be able to negotiate this down to around 16L. Compass is a car that I fell in love with; built like a tank and excellent driving dynamics. Since I intend to keep the car for 7-8 years at least, depreciation and resale will not be a major concern for me. What do TBHPians think of this as an option?
  2. Mahindra XUV5OO - Quite a few XUV5OO from the 2019-2020 era (mostly the W10-W11 variants), some with less than 5000km also! It has been a car that I've loved since I was in college. Also, considering the fact that there will be spare support continued well into the future, it seems reasonable to go for it. Only problem being that most of the owners (and dealers) seem to be expecting too much based on their asking price - mostly listed above 19L. What can be a good price for this end of life product?

Last edited by krishnakumar : 13th October 2021 at 17:06.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 22:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

This is a very interesting feedback, one that is not seen very often. Can you let me know how the car performs in kickdowns etc? I searched with multiple dealers in Bangalore and not a single dealer has a Diesel+AMT test drive car. They are all offering Petrol+AMT for test drive, but it would be fundamentally different if I'm not wrong.

Also, which service center do you take your car to in Mumbai? Since my wife is from Mumbai, I'll need one reliable ASS in Mumbai.
My car is serviced at Heritage Motors at Thane. The service associate I deal with there is extremely knowledgeable and thorough. Their customer service team is topnotch.

With respect to her performance, the torquey diesel+AMT combo is better amongst the two offered. The torque masks the headnod to a great degree. As is the characteristic of an AMT, it is not a gearbox you can expect to perform with the same finesse as TC. As long as you keep it it's powerband (1400+) the car is extremely fun to drive. I've never found myself wanting driving in urban or on open highways. I however had to make changes in my driving style after 3 years of driving a DQ200.
akshaydandekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 00:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only problem being that most of the owners (and dealers) seem to be expecting too much based on their asking price - mostly listed above 19L. What can be a good price for this end of life product?[/list]
Right now used car prices are high in general.

If this is your first car and you are good with driving , get a new one rather than a used one. Its going to let you enjoy the car lifestyle without having to worry about the car itself.

A 20L or 30L vehicle is going to be more expensive to maintain than a Sub4M CSUV even if you manage to buy them at a cheap price , keep that in mind while you are getting enticed by those things.

Once you are reasonably experienced with cars , you can perhaps take such risks but start with a risk free one.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 17:56   #50
BHPian

Updating this thread with details on my latest test drives and the factors I'm considering. I hope this thread would serve as a good resource for someone in the CSUV dilemma.

Current Shortlist

BHPians' gave their overwhelming feedback on taking additional test drives of Nexon and reconsidering the XUV3OO. I did exactly that. And I'm so thankful I did that.
  1. Tata Nexon XZ+ (S) 1.5D
  2. Mahindra XUV3OO W8 (O) 1.5D

Car that came close: Kia Sonet GTX+ 1.5 D (yes, a role reversal )

The Assessment

I shall use the same framework that I used for my first post on this thread. This seemed to work really well to boil down facts while keeping it simple.

Performance: Between the Nexon and XUV3OO, it's really hard to announce a strong winner in this department. While on paper the XUV3OO has better numbers to boast, the power-weight ratio balances things out. In the real world test, I really couldn't spot much difference at least based on my driving style (not sedate, but not pedal to metal). The XUV3OO clearly has an edge in terms of overall refinement. Power delivery felt butter smooth and engine doesn't get loud till ~3000 rpms. As for the Nexon, the engine does sing when pushed a little hard. There is a sound grunt as you rev past 2500 rpm but it wasn't gravelly. I kind of liked that sound - felt like it was coming to life. Like a growl. The XUV3OO had a heavier clutch and would be cumbersome in traffic. Also, because of that massive torque surging past 1500rpm, you'll have to be gentle with the clutch to keep it restrained and not lurch forward every single time. Another slight advantage that Nexon has in this department is on the drive modes - sure the knob is an eyesore, but it is actually functional. City mode keeps things nice and calm with enough power to get you going and overtake snail-paced autorickshaws.

Verdict: XUV3OO = Nexon

Ride Comfort: The Nexon clearly felt to be a more comfortable vehicle to be in. It has a perfect suspension setup to plough through broken roads and provide good highway stability at the same time. The slow speed jiggly ride that I experienced last time wasn't there and this time, it just felt very comfortable to drive. The XUV3OO isn't far behind in this department though. It probably has a stiffer edge to things owing to the 17" wheels, but overall there were no jarring experiences (unlike the Sonet).

Verdict: Nexon > XUV3OO

Handling and dynamics: This was again a very close match between the Nexon and XUV3OO. Both are pocket rockets allowing you to point and shoot into gaps (not advising, just highlighting the capability). They decimate rumble strips and expansion joints with ease. The XUV3OO has a trick up its sleeves with the adjustable steering weight - and this really works. The Nexon gets away with this here because of a perfectly set weight for my liking. The last test drive was a disappointment as the steering felt VERY heavy, which I now think is attributable to the low pressure warning on one of the tyres. This time, the Nexon just felt natural to steer.

Verdict: Nexon = XUV3OO

Interiors, Practicality and Ergonomics: Similar to the "Nexon v. Sonet" saga, the Nexon falls back again here. But things aren't that easy on this department this time around. The XUV3OO feels a lot more livelier and premium thanks to the beige leatherette interiors. The HVAC controls have received a lot of hate online, although personally for me these things don't matter much. What does matter to me are cabin storage spaces and practicality. The XUV3OO clearly wins here. I especially loved the armrest storage with the slot up front; you can safely put your phone inside while it's wired up to use Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Similarly, quite a few easy access stowaway spaces on the front dash makes it a very practical cabin up front. However, things changed a little on the back seat. The XUV3OO seat lies closer to the floor which means you mostly sit in a knees up position (for reference, I'm 5'8"). This can get uncomfortable over long distances, even though you have space to stretch out your legs a bit. Furthermore, the XUV3OO loses out on a rear AC blowers which means in hot/humid places the rear passengers are going to feel a little sultry. The Nexon gets really comfortable rear seats. The seating is long and at the perfect height, giving great under-thigh support. Nexon wins the back seat in my opinion even while lacking a "can't-figure-out-why" idiotic cost cutting of removing rear reading lamps. Why Tata? WHY? I'm not going to the boot, we know who loses that game.

Verdict: ????? Honestly, its a tough call and will boil down to how my wife and I debate this out.

Safety: This section made sense in the "Nexon v. Sonet" match. However, between Nexon and XUV3OO, it's an even game - mostly. The XUV3OO does get 6 airbags, switchable passenger airbag, disc brakes on all four wheels. Heck, I'm going to even count auto-dimming IRVM, physical buttons for ICE shortcuts and a neat place to put the phone as indirect safety features - anything that keeps the driver from getting distracted should be counted(?). Needless to say, both of them are tightly put together and feel strong.

Verdict: XUV3OO > Nexon

The Confusion

Being the marketing guy I am, I tried writing one-line positioning statement for both XUV3OO and Nexon based on my test drives and what they offer.

XUV3OO
Quote:
For the young adventurous couple who don't want to have any compromises while they explore the world, XUV3OO is the perfect road companion.
Nexon
Quote:
For the family who wants a safe way of getting around from one destination to another while being pocket friendly, the Nexon is the car to be in.
The XUV3OO is a perfect car for a couple (+1 child). You get dual zone climate control, very practical cabin and heck, even vanity mirrors WITH LIGHTS for both driver and front passenger. However, it's designed as an upgrade car of sorts due to the limited boot space, not so comfy rear seats etc. As the family grows with someone needing to use the rear seat more regularly, the XUV3OO will start showing its troubles. Whereas, the Nexon is an all-rounder which can be kept even for 10 years without ever feeling a "practical" need to upgrade by just giving it a few mid-life updates to spruce things up. However, it comes at the cost of being in a car where a few compromises have to be made for the first 3-4 years or so.

This is a debate my wife and I are prepared to have in the next few days. Hopefully, by this weekend I'll have a verdict in place.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 19th October 2021 at 18:15.
krishnakumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 19:25   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

One suggestion - If you are keeping this for 10 years (unlikely considering they are as practical as a hatchback), you may as well start with a new product and not products that are at the end of their life cycle and may get a facelift or replacement.
Old 20th October 2021, 09:10   #52
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You may as well start with a new product and not products that are at the end of their life cycle and may get a facelift or replacement.
Valid point. However, is Nexon or XUV3OO getting a facelift anytime soon?

I don't think Nexon is going to get an update anytime until 2022-2023 judging by how successful the car has been.

XUV3OO is likely to get but the fact that the new one being spied by MotorOctane is still in the Tivoli guise - so I was thinking maybe it's still some time away before we see it in flesh.
Old 20th October 2021, 09:37   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I don't think Nexon is going to get an update anytime until 2022-2023 judging by how successful the car has been.

XUV3OO is likely to get but the fact that the new one being spied by MotorOctane is still in the Tivoli guise - so I was thinking maybe it's still some time away before we see it in flesh.
In your ten year ownership a year here and there won't matter. Nexon is perhaps on its last refresh , XUV is due for its first refresh , The KIA is still new.

Considering my Tata ownership, I will not think of keeping a Tata for that long, XUV is preferred between the two especially if you are doing long distances.If it is mostly City use, you may as well look at the XUV petrol , surprisingly good vehicle and future proof being petrol.

Sonet is still the best car in the segment though.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 09:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:

I think Nexon is also getting some major update in
2022. There are rumours about Alfa platform of Altroz coming into Nexon
Old 25th October 2021, 15:50   #55
BHPian

As promised, the final update to this thread.

We have finalized the Mahindra XUV3OO W8 (O) Diesel MT as our companion on road. It was a wild card entry that was only considered due to BHPians pouring in their valuable feedback! Thanks to each and every one of you for sharing your thoughts and help us get some more clarity.

We booked the car on 24th Oct, awaiting the final OTF and booking details for the car. The delivery timeline is expected to be 6-8 weeks.

A new thread is WIP which will be my ownership thread for my first car! In fact, if I'm not wrong, it'll be the first ownership thread on this forum for an XUV3OO.
krishnakumar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 22:51   #56
BHPian

Quote:

We have finalized the Mahindra XUV3OO W8 (O) Diesel MT as our companion on road. It was a wild card entry that was only considered due to BHPians pouring in their valuable feedback! Thanks to each and every one of you for sharing your thoughts and help us get some more clarity.

We booked the car on 24th Oct, awaiting the final OTF and booking details for the car. The delivery timeline is expected to be 6-8 weeks.

A new thread is WIP which will be my ownership thread for my first car! In fact, if I'm not wrong, it'll be the first ownership thread on this forum for an XUV3OO.
Right choice made. I was going to respond that XUV>Nexon>Sonet when I saw this message.

Crash tests have time and again proved that its is either Mahindra and Tata who have the best quality build wise in India. European cars which are being sold internationally or as CKDs/CBUs are great as well because most of the times there isn't much compromise made due to very low sales numbers which doesn't justify any further R&D even to strip off the Indian versions

You cant retrospectively improve the build quality or the safety features of a vehicle. But money permitting features can be added from time to time.

8th year into my ownership of Punto and there isn't even a single squeak in the car yet. Mechanically its still the same sorted vehicle that most Fiats are often famous for. Still on original clutch, discs and suspensions after close to 1.12 L kms on all sort of roads through out southern India.

The issues that I have currently is the Blue & me not working (USB & blue tooth functionality). I have managed without it as a new unit would cost around 14 K (CDs, radio still work and I am able to use separate Bluetooth earphones).

So its mostly the electronic components which fail and mechanical parts mostly have wear & tear. This is the reason I like mechanically sorted vehicles and currently am not able to find a suitable replacement for my car unless I cross the 2 million barrier. Most cars between 1 - 2 million are either from Hyundai, Kia, Indianized VAG which I wont bet my money on. There is nothing really which excites me in Mahindra below 2 million and the new Tatas are full of niggles. Couple of years down the line these may be sorted vehicles though.

I would not compromise on safety at any cost if I have to buy a car. So for me Sonet would never even be in consideration especially after the Seltos fiasco.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 23:36   #57
BHPian

Hi Krishnakumar
I would still go with a petrol (though am a dieselhead all along, am picking a petrol) reasons .. I TD the Sonet iMT and XUV300, fell in love with the Sonet
Cost differential is not very big
Annual running is not going to exceed 15k (daily runs not more than 20km)
City driving - your left leg will be pleased for a AT or iMT
Sonet - build is pretty sturdy ( bonet and hatch - pretty heavy and doors too
GC is good and stance is felt in Sonet
creature comfort adequate in iMT HTX sonet

Anyways all the best on your choice as you would know best what suits you

Cheers
DP
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 10:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We have finalized the Mahindra XUV3OO W8 (O) Diesel MT as our companion on road. ...
Congratulations. I see the XUV300 as the best choice in the segment today. Wish you a happy purchase and ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Sonet - build is pretty sturdy ( bonet and hatch - pretty heavy and doors too
Cheers
DP
How I wish we could judge build quality and grade of steel used with just the weight or 'feel' of the car. Check out the images of the Sonet in this thread. There is '0' use of ultra high strength steel - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...dai-creta.html (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta)

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 26th October 2021 at 10:16.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 22:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
C
How I wish we could judge build quality and grade of steel used with just the weight or 'feel' of the car. Check out the images of the Sonet in this thread. There is '0' use of ultra high strength steel - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...dai-creta.html (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta)
Ok that's why I used the word feel. Anyways to each his man his world . The best safety gears are located amidst both the ears as the adage goes. ATB

Cheers
Old 29th October 2021, 11:16   #60
BHPian

Quote:

We have finalized the Mahindra XUV3OO W8 (O) Diesel MT as our companion on road.
As with many, even I had suggested to include the 3OO along with the Nexon. I am a worried Corolla Altis man after the talks of E20 petrol and look forward at the 3OO along with Altroz and Nexon.

I have no doubts in my mind that the fortunes of this young XUV will be elevated after the departure of Ford. Wish you lakhs of kilometers of trouble free ownership!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks