Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2021, 23:22   #61
VIZ
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

This is my first post in this forum. My membership was approved today . I am a keen follower of this forum for the last 6 months.
I recently moved to India and I am looking for an automatic compact SUV car (TC/CVT or AMT). No DCT due to reliability issue.
Below are my requirements. Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.
Usage: 50 km/ week city usage for a family of two. 900KM round trip in highways once in 2 months to my hometown.
Budget: Within 15 lakhs on-road price.
Requirements:
  1. Safety 4 or more stars with ESP preferably.
  2. Fuss-free ownership with good after-sale service and parts availability.
  3. Great ride quality and good NVH levels for poor Bangalore roads.
  4. Decent mileage.
  5. Beginner-level driver with 3000KM driven so far. So I will need good visibility of the bonnet/rear and corners. I need a height-adjustable driver seat and rear parking camera. if I can get a 360-degree camera or front sensor, it will be great. But I can live without them.
  6. Cruise control for highway rides. Paddle shifter optional.
  7. Boot space minimum 300 litre and foldable rear seats.
  8. Hill assist.
  9. creep function for bumper to bumper traffic.

Below vehicles were test-driven so far.

S-Cross alpha
  • Pros: Good handling. MSIL reliability, MASS.
  • Cons: Average NVH and ride quality, outdated interiors, non-availability of ESP.
Tata Nexon Petrol AMT ZXA+ (O)
  • Pros: 5-star rating, good ride quality, Exterior look.
  • Cons: Lagging AMT at times, Poor ASS (I had to escalate to TATA Twitter handle after following up for 3 weeks with dealer even for a test drive), poor mileage of turbo petrol, niggles and reliability concerns, poor rear view visibility, 2 airbags only even in high-end version.
Magnite XV Premium (O) Petrol
  • Pros: 360-degree camera gives me more confidence while driving, 4-star safety rating.
  • Cons: Poor ride quality and plain interior made my wife comment that it is a bulked-up Alto, long wait time, In my test-drive car, the turn indicator needs to be manually turned off each time. I am not sure if this is an issue with the test drive car alone. SA informed me that this model doesn’t have an auto indicator off feature.
Brezza ZXI+ AT
  • Pros: MSIL reliability, good mileage, very practical interior and MASS.
  • Cons: Average ride quality and NVH levels. plain interiors.
XUV 300- W 8 (O) AT- Diesel
I was able to get only diesel for the test drive even though I requested petrol.
  • Pros: Good low-end torque, decent ride quality and interiors, very practical interiors with a lot of storage space.
  • Cons: Small Boot space, AMT head nod was very severe in my test drive vehicle, poor ASS. SA informed me that there won't be a front parking sensor in the new model. If I go with the petrol version, I guess I will face poor mileage similar to Nexon
Planning to test drive after Diwali: MG Astor SMART NA Engine with CVT. Concerned with poor mileage and safety ratings as safety rating is unknown at this stage. This is above my budget, but I am hoping with BH registration, on-road price will be around 15 Lakhs.

Currently, I am trending towards Nexon, but my biggest concerns are poor mileage, reliability and ASS. To improve mileage, I thought of moving to Diesel, but I am not sure if it makes economic sense considering my low usage level.
VIZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:09   #62
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon vs. Mahindra XUV300 vs. Kia Sonet | Which car should I get for 15 Lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
As promised, the final update to this thread.

We have finalized the Mahindra XUV3OO W8 (O) Diesel MT as our companion on road. It was a wild card entry that was only considered due to BHPians pouring in their valuable feedback! Thanks to each and every one of you for sharing your thoughts and help us get some more clarity.

We booked the car on 24th Oct, awaiting the final OTF and booking details for the car. The delivery timeline is expected to be 6-8 weeks.

A new thread is WIP which will be my ownership thread for my first car! In fact, if I'm not wrong, it'll be the first ownership thread on this forum for an XUV3OO.
A good choice, The Xuv 300 felt more premium than my Nexon in the interior section, but I could not live with that boot space and the rear legroom. Also Mahindra has been deleting many useful features which I considered was brilliant for that car like they have deleted the heated outside rearview mirrors, door ajar lamps, centre seatbelt on the rear seat and boot lamp too. And Mainly the omitted one Airbag. Why Mahindra Why. I think they are promoting Xuv 700 s base varients here.
Do check whether there is any model which has some of these features atleast. Happy Motoring and Waiting for your review.
DevSunit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 08:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSunit View Post
Do check whether there is any model which has some of these features atleast. Happy Motoring and Waiting for your review.
Thank you for your wishes!

We did check with the dealership and there aren't any models left of the older batch. I was extremely disappointed and pissed when I saw the car allotted in flesh with a few more features missing.

For the benefit of others - from the launch version (of which you'll find many reviews in YouTube, so it's easy to compare), the following features have been modified as of Oct 2021. The dealer showed me mail proofs from Mahindra to confirm this.
  1. Knee airbags have been removed
  2. Rear center 3-point seat belt converted to normal lap belt; accordingly, the seat belt warning for rear seats have also been removed
  3. Door ajar lamps converted to reflected
  4. Rear fog lamps removed, will be provided as an accessory
  5. Reverse parking sensors modified (there were 4, now it's just 2, but seems to cover the entire area)
  6. Passenger side request sensor for passive entry removed;Only driver side gets it.
  7. Mirror warmers removed
  8. Boot lamp removed

These are quite a few deletions over the course of 2 years from the launch vehicle, and the price have just kept increasing. It was VERY VERY difficult to digest this fact.

However, despite these deletions the XUV3OO still continues to be the better option for our usage in the market based on the other features it offers. So it's a smart move by Mahindra but we feel the pinch. For example, I checked with a technician for getting the passenger side request sensor fixed and he said the complete kit with wiring harness would be 22k and obviously come with the risk of not being factory fitted. That's a huge amount of money that Mahindra is saving.

Tough pill to swallow but we still went ahead for the positives it continues to have. So yeah, like they say the perfect vehicle is one you compromise on.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 2nd November 2021 at 08:37.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 20:52   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Hello BHPians!

In terms of after sales support, I'm not sure which would fare better. On one hand, I have Kia which is likely to push me stuff that I don't need and on the other hand, there is TASS which is likely to not do stuff that I push them to do.

My brethren, kindly help me!
I am using Nexon XZA+ diesel variant since 2018 and I am also from Bangalore, hence I would like to share my experience with the service aspect of TASS. While you may check for other aspects of your requirement, I would like to comment only on TASS experience.

I regularly use Classic Motors near Peenya for service and they are a great bunch of guys who won't push you to get anything done unless you are OK with it. They suggest, but would not do it unless & until you agree to it. They also let you be with the car while service is going on and you can witness what is happening (I don't use to stand for the entire period, but check once in a while getting to the repair bay).

So, you should not feel a pinch on this aspect. I did my service as late as Aug this year - My 3rd-year full service and I am totally satisfied. To add, Classic Motors do not have a showroom, but only a service center, hence, they have to perform great on that aspect to attract customers as there would not be a "natural" customer due to sales.

I have to add a few more points here.
I just concluded a 931 KM round trip from Bangalore to Kollu Mookambika temple (via Chitradurga/ Shimoga) to Udupi to Bangalore (via Belur/ Hassan) during this Deepavali holidays and you know of the ghat section in this route, right? Experiences from that are as below.
  • My daughter was uncomfortable and towards the top of the ghat, she vomited and this had never happened earlier, but this was her first proper ghat climbing in a car (she is 9.5 years old).
  • My niece (18 years old with around 5.6 feet height) was there at the rear seat for a long time and she said she is not feeling comfortable there. She was there in the front seat for and she was commenting, this is a different car from the co-driver seat.
  • My wife was there at the rear and front and she never found any issues during this trip. Ghat was climbed when she was there at the rear seat and she was comfortable.
  • My sister and mother too, have traveled with me for not-so-long trips (<100KM in a stretch) and both of them said back seat travel was not great. This is mainly because of the claustrophobic effect.

Last edited by Jakku : 10th November 2021 at 21:13.
Old 10th November 2021, 22:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
I am using Nexon XZA+ diesel variant since 2018
Hello. I'm in the market for the exact same model. Have you ever felt irritated by the AMT? This is the only thing stopping me from ditching Sonet GTX D AT and booking the Nexon.
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 22:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Hello.
Have you ever felt irritated by the AMT?
No, I have not felt irritated by the AMT. Initially, I knew when the gears changed, but, now I hardly notice it. Also, I did my first pure ghat section (uphill) this weekend and it performed really well and I did it amidst heavy traffic & rain where the visibility was limited. I climbed the entire stretch in "sports" mode and never ever I felt the lack of manual control. I climbed the entire stretch in auto mode only. It was a great experience through out.
Jakku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 13:06   #67
BHPian

Nexon and XUV 300 are the two products that I recommend in that segment. Now coming to the point of AMT. We have Duster AMT, Polo TC. TC is always superior to AMT. I

If given an option to choose between AMT and TC on Nexon & XUV, I would (& mostly likely every TBhpian) would choose TC. But, that being said, with our Duster AMT, we know how the vehicle behaves and we have adapted to its changing gear style. Initially, for a few days, we found the jerks, but now we modulate our throttle to match the gear shifts. And there is always the Triptronic mode for steep inclines. Our Duster is at 70K KM and Polo at 10K KM.
Old 21st November 2021, 19:25   #68

Buying my first car. Need guidance/advice.

I am looking to buy my first car & in the process I have shortlisted 3 contenders. My budget is between 12-15lakhs at max. Here is my list of must have’s in order of priority.
1) LOOKS and FEATURES
2) SPACE and COMFORT
3) SAFETY
4) PERFORMANCE
5) MILEAGE

My drive will be 90%(city)-10%(highway). Me and my wife will drive the car and most of the time only two of us would be there in the car. Daily drive distance around 15 kms with frequent highway trips during the weekend. Will cover around 10k kms in a year.

As a total rookie I test drove many cars & here are the 3 which I’ve shortlisted.

1) SONET 1.5d AT(HTX): (13.64lakhs+20k extended warranty+20k accessories=14.04 lakhs on road)
Loved everything about it other than the cockpit type interior which gives a feeling of less space & a bit less visibility plus stiff suspension setup. Points 1,4 & 5 are easily justifiable though.

2) XUV300 AMT W8(o)p : (14.80 on road)
A solid car indeed but there is some lag in the AMT when you press the accelerator. I am not a fan of its looks though and also, there are news circulating about the launch of a facelift. So a bit dicey on what to do. Cover points 2,3 & 4 well.

3) Astor super CVT: (14.80 on road)
A very pretty car inside and out. Again the CVT seems to take its own time to accelerate & being the newest launch solid reviews are still to come. But covers points 1,2 & 3 pretty well.

Team BHpians please give you opinion about the shortlisted options I have prepared and feel free to suggest what do you think should be a good fit for my needs.
Old 21st November 2021, 20:22   #69
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying my first car. Need guidance/advice.

My suggestion would be the Sonet for the best engine+gearbox combo. It also feels the most luxurious of the lot. Safety is definitely a concern though vs the XUV 300.

I'd try to avoid an AMT or a CVT as much as I can. Looking at your priority list, the Sonet covers it in the most comprehensive manner.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd November 2021 at 05:12. Reason: Corrected as requested.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 20:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas1224 View Post
I am looking to buy my first car & in the process I have shortlisted 3 contenders. My budget is between 12-15lakhs at max. Here is my list of must have’s in order of priority.
1) LOOKS and FEATURES
2) SPACE and COMFORT
3) SAFETY
4) PERFORMANCE
5) MILEAGE
Space for 4 people would be met by all cars and none of them would be too comfortable for a 5th adult.
XUV300 would beat others in safety and performance. Astor is still too new.

I would say go with the Sonet.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 20:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Among the options that you have selected I would suggest Sonet

However please check out Kushaq / Taigun too. I believe most of the niggles in Kushaq is fixed now.

1) LOOKS and FEATURES - Check for me
2) SPACE and COMFORT - Check for 4 people
3) SAFETY - Check, I am sure it will be a safe car (though waiting for the safety test ratings)
4) PERFORMANCE - Double check
5) MILEAGE - Depends on your benchmark and the way you drive
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 21:58   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
My suggestion would be the Sonet for the best engine+gearbox combo. It also feels the most luxurious of the lot. Safety is definitely a concern though vs the XUV 300.

I'd try to avoid an AMT or a CVT as much as I can. Looking at your priority list, the Seltos covers it in the most comprehensive manner.

Thank you for your suggestion. Well, the only variant which is within my budget(12-15lakhs) is the IMT variant which me & my wife both dislike. The next in line is Seltos HTX IVT 1.5 p AT which is way above my budget (17.57 lakhs on road).

I think I forgot to mention in my post but automatic is a priority & hence would avoid IMT as its neither here nor there types.��

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Space for 4 people would be met by all cars and none of them would be too comfortable for a 5th adult.
XUV300 would beat others in safety and performance. Astor is still too new.

I would say go with the Sonet.
Thank you for your suggestion. As you rightly pointed out it’s difficult to adjust 3 people in rear seat apart from XUV300 may be. But mostly me & my wife would be only ones to be in the car.
As of now Sonet is the front runner with Astor not far by much. Although, with Astor I’ll lose few features that I would get with sonet. Still I’m weighing my options & suggestions from you guys would help me make my mind up to pick one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Among the options that you have selected I would suggest Sonet

However please check out Kushaq / Taigun too. I believe most of the niggles in Kushaq is fixed now.

1) LOOKS and FEATURES - Check for me
2) SPACE and COMFORT - Check for 4 people
3) SAFETY - Check, I am sure it will be a safe car (though waiting for the safety test ratings)
4) PERFORMANCE - Double check
5) MILEAGE - Depends on your benchmark and the way you drive
Thank you for your suggestion. Well, both Kushaq & Taigun(automatic versions) go well beyond my budget. Also, there is always that fear regarding niggles that are being found out in their initial lots. And even if the niggles are fixed, the point of concern is budget as I can’t stretch above 15 lakhs.
Sonet as of now is the front runner closely followed by Astor. Just weighing in my options as I’ll lose many features if I pick astor(since it’s the super CVT variant) but will get better comfort & a segment above car. Will be closely watching this thread and see what others have to say. Thank you once again for your suggestion.

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion. Well, the only variant which is within my budget(12-15lakhs) is the IMT variant which me & my wife both dislike. The next in line is Seltos HTX IVT 1.5 p AT which is way above my budget (17.57 lakhs on road).

I think I forgot to mention in my post but automatic is a priority & hence would avoid IMT as its neither here nor there types.��
Oops, I read Seltos but you said Sonet when I re read the post. Yes, as of now Sonet seems to be the winner amongst the three but Astor looks somewhere tempt me to reconsider. Still weighing in my options as of now and hopefully this post & the replies from fellow BHPians would help me to get out of this dilemma & pick one & go ahead with it.
Thank you again for your reply & apologies for the previous reply of mine where I thought you suggested Seltos.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st November 2021 at 22:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
manas1224 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 23:55   #73
BHPian

I own a Sonet and at first I hated the car but after a few months I started liking it. Its the only car in the competition which has a proper 6 speed diesel automatic and that’s the only reason why I bought it to be very honest. The car is a great package overall. The features are the most attractive thing about that car. The only thing which I regret is buying the top of the like GTX+ which I feel is not worth the money because I already own a GTX+ Seltos and spending 15.5 lakhs on a compact suv doesn’t really make sense to me. Sonet hands down!
speedfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 11:19   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
I own a Sonet and at first I hated the car but after a few months I started liking it. Its the only car in the competition which has a proper 6 speed diesel automatic and that’s the only reason why I bought it to be very honest. The car is a great package overall. The features are the most attractive thing about that car. The only thing which I regret is buying the top of the like GTX+ which I feel is not worth the money because I already own a GTX+ Seltos and spending 15.5 lakhs on a compact suv doesn’t really make sense to me. Sonet hands down!
Thank you for your response. Yes, if we talk about gearbox engine combo it it by far the best. And as you rightly pointed out that paying 16lakhs on a sub compact suv doesn’t make sense & hence I’m thinking of getting HTX version which would also cost me 14.04 lakhs on road.
The biggest confusion for me is to wheather to shell out 75k more & get a bigger car from different segment. In short, head says Sonet but heart wants astor(typical middle class conundrum…lolz). The votes from fellow BHPians who’ve commented till now is also in favour of Sonet. I guess I’ll think over a day or two more & then would finalise on one.
Old 24th November 2021, 13:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Yes, if we talk about gearbox engine combo it it by far the best. And as you rightly pointed out that paying 16lakhs on a sub compact suv doesn’t make sense & hence I’m thinking of getting HTX version which would also cost me 14.04 lakhs on road.
The biggest confusion for me is to wheather to shell out 75k more & get a bigger car from different segment. In short, head says Sonet but heart wants astor(typical middle class conundrum…lolz). The votes from fellow BHPians who’ve commented till now is also in favour of Sonet. I guess I’ll think over a day or two more & then would finalise on one.
I have HTX D-AT. It's good enough for my use. The only things I miss from GTX are Ventilated seats and more airbags. Go for HTX as that will save you around 2.2 lac plus. If you want petrol AT look at Astor and if diesel go for Sonet. Simple.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed