Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2021, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Used Automatic car | Budget 5-6 lakhs

Posting on behalf of a friend who recently got a job. He got posted in a city ~120kms away and needs a car to visit home on alternative weekends. He's only going to be keeping this car for 3-4 years so buying used makes sense. Would eventually want to upgrade to something nicer.

The lower it is on the 5-6 spectrum the better. I've advised him to keep 30-50k of the budget for sprucing up the old ride. Change tyres if needed, get it serviced and dry cleaned, detailed etc to make it feel nice and new.

With that in mind, here are the requirements

1) Automatic
2) Reliable
3) Easy maintenance
4) Should preferably have ABS & airbags
5) Sorted Highway manners

Also, nothing as big as the Corolla Altis, it'll be a pain to use that as a city car for commute on weekdays.

He's considering getting a CNG kit fitted as well. I'm against the idea, but my reservation is not exactly logical as much as just hesitation. What's this forum's take on it?

Thanks!

Last edited by RoadMonkey : 11th October 2021 at 22:51. Reason: Added another requirement
RoadMonkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 22:45   #2
BHPian

re: Used Automatic car | Budget 5-6 lakhs

Used:
Honda City 3rd Gen facelift AT
Honda Brio/Amaze AT
Maruti Suzuki Baleno CVT (rare find)

New:
Maruti Suzuki Spresso VXi+ AMT

Last edited by RavSam : 11th October 2021 at 22:48.
RavSam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'd recommend him the Tata Tigor AMT. There might be a few good 2017-18 examples available, although not top-spec. Another outside option would be get to a Hyundai Santro AMT but I'm not sure about outright highway manners. Lastly, try and look for a Jazz CVT, there might be a few around in your budget.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 09:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

At 6 lakhs, if he stretches his budget a bit, he can get a new car. I would suggest a new car to someone who is new to the automotive world than a used car (unless its a Honda or Toyota!)
2000rpm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 09:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Used:
Honda City 3rd Gen facelift AT
Honda Brio/Amaze AT
Maruti Suzuki Baleno CVT (rare find)

New:
Maruti Suzuki Spresso VXi+ AMT
What about the Jazz? I see one in Punjab, V CVT, first owner, 2015 @ 5.25!

Strict no to SPresso/WagonRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
I'd recommend him the Tata Tigor AMT. There might be a few good 2017-18 examples available, although not top-spec. Another outside option would be get to a Hyundai Santro AMT but I'm not sure about outright highway manners. Lastly, try and look for a Jazz CVT, there might be a few around in your budget.
Thanks! Looking at the Jazz. The owner retains good old prejudices about Tata and wants to stay away from buying one used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
At 6 lakhs, if he stretches his budget a bit, he can get a new car. I would suggest a new car to someone who is new to the automotive world than a used car (unless its a Honda or Toyota!)
The budget is already stretched, it started at 4L. We're assuming that the depreciation hit on a used car, in the next 3 years will be minimal. After that he plans to get married and would have the resources by then to purchase a nice upgrade (think Creta, etc).
RoadMonkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 10:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
What about the Jazz? I see one in Punjab, V CVT, first owner, 2015 @ 5.25!
Jazz is good too but I have also seen people complain about the actual feel of driving it and one post in this very forum complaining about its material build quality not being upto the mark.

But then it depends upon one's personal experience.

If the performance of the engine and CVT gearbox is according to your expectations then do go for it.

Also, there was an Amaze facelift with the CVT too if you are able to find one.

I had also seen a Honda BRV-AT at around 6 lakhs on classifieds.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any Honda would do him good :thumbs brio/jazz/city Maruti A-Star and Ritz aren't too bad either. A Grand Vitara can be had for really cheap as well if he does decide he wants to keep the car for a while. I'd suggest against a CNG kit on the same hesitant lines as you but also because if one wants to save money, it is far easier to do so buy picking a cheaper used car like a Brio or A-Star over a City and saving the money there itself rather than wasting time, energy and peace of mind with a CNG kit.
IshaanIan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 15:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

I own a Honda City AT 2009 with CNG Kit. The car has been working without any problems. The only major problems after getting the CNG fitted are low ground clearance & change of Ignition Coils & Spark plugs every 50K kms. Each ignition coil costs 6000 Rs and a set of 4 Spark Plug costs 3000 Rs in Honda SC. I get unbranded ignition coils (1750 per piece) and cheaper plugs (200 Rs per piece) replaced by local mechanic and car runs fine. Highway mileage on CNG is anywhere between 22-27 km\kg, depends upon driving. City mileage is 12-14 km\kg.

Last edited by mercedised : 12th October 2021 at 15:21.
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 20:02   #9
BHPian

If it's a used car it should ideally be a Honda or a Toyota purely for reliability and the consequential peace of mind. A Honda Jazz would suit him perfectly, its peppy, automatic, reliable and relatively low and easy/cheap on maintenance.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 08:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Jazz is good too but I have also seen people complain about the actual feel of driving it and one post in this very forum complaining about its material build quality not being upto the mark.
That's because of the expectations of it being an international car. I have personally TD'd it when I was buying new, it's better than the Amaze and especially pre facelift amaze. As for driving feel, Honda's 1.2 is a pretty lame engine but should give decent FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Any Honda would do him good :thumbs brio/jazz/city Maruti A-Star and Ritz aren't too bad either.
The gentleman had an A-Star in the family (his father's) before they got a new Amaze. Doesn't like/want the Ritz. He's seen mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I get unbranded ignition coils (1750 per piece) and cheaper plugs (200 Rs per piece) replaced by local mechanic and car runs fine. Highway mileage on CNG is anywhere between 22-27 km\kg, depends upon driving. City mileage is 12-14 km\kg.
Thanks for the information, I'll pass it along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
If it's a used car it should ideally be a Honda or a Toyota purely for reliability and the consequential peace of mind. A Honda Jazz would suit him perfectly, its peppy, automatic, reliable and relatively low and easy/cheap on maintenance.
Yeah I was thinking across similar lines. If the Liva had been offered with an AT, even if an ancient 4 speed AT, that'd be the one to go for eyes closed. Corollas are huuuge. Yaris is expensive. Otoh Hondas have shown rusting problems if not properly maintained. Tough call honestly. I'm helping him hunt for the Jazz.

A '15 Ciaz AT run 60k is available at ~6L, he's very tempted by that. Should it be considered? I've told him yes!
Old 13th October 2021, 14:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
A '15 Ciaz AT run 60k is available at ~6L, he's very tempted by that. Should it be considered? I've told him yes!
In my view a Brio or Jazz AT will be the best options. Especially Brio as it had the 5 speed TC AT which was in the Honda City also and makes it good to drive also.

The Ciaz can be considered, but 6L seems too expensive for it and it is an old school 4 speed AT. May not be enjoyable for regular 120km drives
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 23:55   #12
BHPian

I don’t know why so many here are recommending the Amaze/Jazz/Brio, please don’t as all 3 come with an engine that’s so weak you have to floor it each and every time you want to move forward with any intent. The 5 speed torque converter is bad enough and the CVT that came in the facelift is even worse, city driving is painful and highway is outright dangerous as you need a lot of tarmac to make safe overtakes.

Regarding fuel economy it’s sometimes worse than my accord as running a small engine at full throttle will consume as much if not more fuel than a larger engine at part throttle. I have tankful to tankful fuel logs to back my claims up. I get 7.4 km/L in the city (Amaze 5 speed auto) and around 12 on highways, even if you drive like an absolute grandma you’ll get around 9-9.5 in the city. I’d say test drive extensively to get a feel and see if you’re happy with the acceleration (lack of) and only then put your money down. Also poor highway manners, cross winds make the light body very unstable, have personally experienced this.

I don’t know why your friend finds a compact car like Corolla huge, anyway would still recommend he check out 2.4L variants of the Accord from 2012-13, they’re spot on the budget at 5-6L and are decent to drive, with adequate power for city or highway. The build quality and safety with 6 airbags and ABS+ESP is superior to the subcompacts like Jazz/City. Once you start driving you don’t really notice a few extra inches of length. Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 14th October 2021 at 00:12.
AJ56 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 08:39   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Here's my take on the same:

1. Polo GT TSI
2. Nexon AMT

Fantastic cars with sorted dynamics
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:06   #14
BHPian

Check out the Nissan Micra CVT. It would be peppier to drive as opposed to the Jazz/Brio and cost much less than the original budget. I think a good condition, single owner can can be purchased around 3.25 lacs. Try to go for the XV premium variant if possible as it came with 4 airbags.
mohitchalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:17   #15
BHPian

I was in the same boat and picked up a 2 year old used grand i10 automatic for less than 6L. I was looking for a used brio AT but good examples were hard to come by.
The i10 comes with ABS and airbags and is a proper TC, albeit 4 speed. Only con I see is the sub 10 kmpl fuel efficiency in the city.(Highways runs fetch 13/14).

Most Viewed