Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 15:55   #1
BHPian

Booked Sonet, no sign of delivery for 5 more months, back to search! :(

On 28th Oct, after taking numerous TD of XUV 300, Nexon and Sonet...all Petrol non-manual variants, we finally booked Sonet DCT. Yay!

Today, 3rd Dec, came to know that Delivery is pushed to April. Nay. :(

Honestly don't want to wait that long.
When we booked Sonet, KIA has said delivery is mostly in Dec/Jan. My Son who is a car lover is turning 5 in Jan and hence we wanted a new car around that time.

But now it will be 6 months and even that seems uncertain.

So we are back to the Search.

XUV 300 and Nexon, both are AT, though not as refined as DCT in Sonet are seemingly good options other than Sonet.

My budget is 15L on road in Bangalore.

Are there any other good options I am overlooking?

What I need (am driving a Wagon-R past 7 years) -

0. Safety
1. Automatic/AT/CVT/DCT
2. Sunroof
3. Space
4. Good ground-clearance
5. Driving pleasure - I love driving and we used to take 3-4 road trips a year pre-covid.
6. Reliable car, reliable brand (have had Maruti all my life)
7. Low maintenance

Thanks a ton!
anirudhbb is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 22:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Booked Sonet, no sign of delivery for 5 more months, back to search! :(

Under 15 Lakh I feel the options you have shortlisted are the best of the lot. Also remember that even the Nexon and XUV300 have considerable waiting periods, unless some political/financial influence is used.
Have you looked at the S Cross? I don't recommend it often due to its outdated and bland interiors but it will satisfy most of the needs except the sunroof and the driving pleasure part. I don't think the new one will arrive at our shores anytime soon.
If I was given a choice, I would take a long-ish TD of the Nexon and finalise it if the AMT feels sufficient.
quantobigboot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 00:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudhbb View Post
On 28th Oct, after taking numerous TD of XUV 300, Nexon and Sonet...all Petrol non-manual variants, we finally booked Sonet DCT. Yay!

Today, 3rd Dec, came to know that Delivery is pushed to April. Nay. :(
I’m in the same boat as you are. While doing my research I’ve shortlisted XUV300 & Sonet out of a long list of sub compact SUV’s. (List includes Brezza, Venue, Kiger, Magnite, Nexon). I booked Sonet HTX D-AT on 15th October with tentative allotment in late Feb or early March.

Having a look at your needs which you mentioned, I would like you to test drive Astor as well(which I did with a very uninterested heart but absolutely loved the car & booked the Astor super CVT on 17th Nov with tentative delivery promised same as Kia’s timeline). If you can compromise on sunroof then Astor definitely fills most of your preferences. Having said that, the waiting time would still be close to 4 months at least.

So, if you want instant gratification then I would recommend to go with XUV300.
During my TD I loved everything about that car except the AMT transmission where I feel a bit of lag but I guess it’s different for different people.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th December 2021 at 06:30. Reason: For ease of reading please do not quote the whole post. Thanks!
manas1224 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 00:47   #4
BHPian

Since you are from Bangalore and have a budget of 15L, then why not look at the Nexon EV? If you dont intend to drive more than 300 KMs at one go, you should have a great package in Nexon EV.
Apart from this, I dont see any true blue AT under 15L and especially been delivered by Jan 22. Most manufacturing would be shut post this week and will reopen only by 2nd week of January 22. Either you will have to chose from an existing inventory or let go off having delivery asap.
VWAllstar is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 01:13   #5
AZT
BHPian

If you can let go of the ground clearance part, Honda City - V CVT Petrol is ~14.83 in Mumbai. You can check Blr rates. Should tick your boxes.
AZT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 08:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantobigboot View Post
Under 15 Lakh I feel the options you have shortlisted are the best of the lot. Also remember that even the Nexon and XUV300 have considerable waiting periods, unless some political/financial influence is used.
Have you looked at the S Cross? I don't recommend it often due to its outdated and bland interiors but it will satisfy most of the needs except the sunroof and the driving pleasure part. I don't think the new one will arrive at our shores anytime soon.
If I was given a choice, I would take a long-ish TD of the Nexon and finalise it if the AMT feels sufficient.
XUV 300, the earlier SA whom I again reached out to (yesterday) to said the waiting period is 1-1.5 months. XUV 300 though I loved the Car, Nexon and Sonet has far better Eye-candy and plush interiors. XUV 300 the dashboard console is such a misfit to its beautiful exteriors and plush interiors.

Nexon I believe will be 8-12 weeks waiting period.
Nexon I wanted for its safety, though Wife instantly fell in love with Sonet as it does has a better exterior and interior looks with lot more features.

S-Cross, surprisingly MANY folks here have recommended in some thread or another. Didn't consider it earlier due to its jaded interiors and we really want to take a leap of faith and go outside Maruti for a change. And sunroof emotionally we want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas1224 View Post
I’m in the same boat as you are. While doing my research I’ve shortlisted XUV300 & Sonet out of a long list of sub compact SUV’s. (List includes Brezza, Venue, Kiger, Magnite, Nexon). I booked Sonet HTX D-AT on 15th October with tentative allotment in late Feb or early March.

Having a look at your needs which you mentioned, I would like you to test drive Astor as well(which I did with a very uninterested heart but absolutely loved the car & booked the Astor super CVT on 17th Nov with tentative delivery promised same as Kia’s timeline). If you can compromise on sunroof then Astor definitely fills most of your preferences. Having said that, the waiting time would still be close to 4 months at least.
On Road, a decent variant Astor is coming to close to 20. Is Base Model recommended? Will check-it out, though they are sold out for 2021 booking and I guess waiting period will be close to KIA. :(

Heard a new Brezza is coming out in JFM'22...Brezza was my contender but again missed out due to reasons of S-Cross - jaded interiors and Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Since you are from Bangalore and have a budget of 15L, then why not look at the Nexon EV? If you don't intend to drive more than 300 KMs at one go, you should have a great package in Nexon EV.
Apart from this, I dont see any true blue AT under 15L and especially been delivered by Jan 22. Most manufacturing would be shut post this week and will reopen only by 2nd week of January 22. Either you will have to chose from an existing inventory or let go off having delivery asap.
EV not comfortable at the moment due to limited charging infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
If you can let go of the ground clearance part, Honda City - V CVT Petrol is ~14.83 in Mumbai. You can check Blr rates. Should tick your boxes.
Yes, now considering SEDANS as well - CITY (evergreen blockbuster) and CIAZ (very VFM) both will take a TD.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th December 2021 at 04:54. Reason: Typo
anirudhbb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 08:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Get yourself a Honda City automatic, Gen 5 base model. It has all the essentials covered, including 4 airbags, and will just about fit your budget. If your kid is insistent on the sunroof, go for the mid trim. The car is available for immediate delivery.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 09:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Get yourself a Honda City automatic, Gen 5 base model. It has all the essentials covered, including 4 airbags, and will just about fit your budget. If your kid is insistent on the sunroof, go for the mid trim. The car is available for immediate delivery.
I see that you have been rather critical (and I agree with some of your criticisms) of Honda in your past posts. So I think if you are recommending a Honda City then you must be finding it to be a worthy contender.

My family was 2 for sedans and 2 for CSUVs while buying a new car and an early delivery of Honda City was a big plus point in its favor.
And I don't understand why people are criticising car manufacturers especially MG and also KIA/Hyundai/Mahindra for late delivery as they themselves booked their cars knowing the situation fully well.
I now have driven my car for 2 months and 1400kms including a 500km highway trip. I am fully satisfied with the car. It's giving 13-14 in peak Delhi traffic and gave 22 mileage on Delhi-Jaipur highway with speed of 80 to 100 in normal mode without giving any thoughts to fuel efficiency.
As trend is to buy csuv and OP lives in Bangalore where according to them roads are very bad, I didn't make my suggestion.
But if it were me in Bangalore I would have bought Honda City.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 09:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Since you are from Bangalore and have a budget of 15L, then why not look at the Nexon EV? If you dont intend to drive more than 300 KMs at one go, you should have a great package in Nexon EV.
+1 to this. Although, I would keep the range expectation as 200kms. I recently spoke to a friend who had completed a 900km trip on his E2o, and he said it's posisble with EVs now, with a little bit of planning and more time.
Meaning, if a 500km trip takes 10 hours, you are likely to take 13hours as you need to wait for charging, possibly deviate from your regular route into a city, and also possibly going slower to achive better efficiency. If you are ok with that, an EV is a good direction.
Also, depends on whether you have charging infrastructure at home and the possibility to get it installed.
Old 4th December 2021, 09:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I see that you have been rather critical (and I agree with some of your criticisms) of Honda in your past posts. So I think if you are recommending a Honda City then you must be finding it to be a worthy contender.
I’ve been a Honda owner for 10 years now, having clocked 160k+ km on my Jazz as well as on my diesel City. My criticism of the City has been primarily in the areas of build quality, bad suspensions and seats and the efficient but crude diesel powertrain. All of them still stand with the Gen 5. City does not work for those with frequent highway driving, those who value ride and handling, comfort and overall refinement, and those with generally heavy/rough usage. There are better cars to be had for those requirements.

But City does make sense for light users and small families, especially those whose usage is primarily urban. More specifically the well kitted base model, which provides all essentials as well as the CVT for 15L on road. Makes a good case against the sea of lousy AMTs and unavailable Hyundais and Kias. For the top model, again, there are better options for 18L.

In this case, City CVT should work well for this small family with only occasional highway usage. That it is available for immediate delivery for the kid’s birthday just makes it better.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 4th December 2021 at 09:51.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 09:52   #11
BHPian

I would strongly recommend going in for the Brezza or the Urban Cruiser. Yes, its a 4-speed TC auto but suffices for 80% of the time ; interiors are dated & not swanky as the Sonet, but are much much more spacious & at a pinch, can seat 5. 4-star NCAP rating, low maintenance, expected good resale ; these were the things that finally sealed it for me when I went for my UC. I was tilted towards the Sonet too - but the waiting period, high top variant costs, unsure of service levels, crash worthiness & unknown resale value summed up to too many grey areas.
jeetumg27 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 10:12   #12
BHPian

Hi Anirudhbb - any particular reason why you didn't consider Sonet's cousin i.e. Venue?
youknowitbetter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 11:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
And I don't understand why people are criticising car manufacturers especially MG and also KIA/Hyundai/Mahindra for late delivery as they themselves booked their cars knowing the situation fully well.
But if it were me in Bangalore I would have bought Honda City.
Honda City getting quite a lot of love.

Well, it is not a criticism of any particular brand as such, as the overall situation of most in-demand cars. Its more of the situation not suiting me at present. And, KIA SA is not updating me at all, its me who is asking every week and not getting a definite reply.

Quote:

But City does make sense for light users and small families, especially those whose usage is primarily urban. More specifically the well kitted base model, which provides all essentials as well as the CVT for 15L on road. Makes a good case against the sea of lousy AMTs and unavailable Hyundais and Kias. For the top model, again, there are better options for 18L.

In this case, City CVT should work well for this small family with only occasional highway usage. That it is available for immediate delivery for the kid’s birthday just makes it better.
I would ask a cliche question, how good/bad is the ground clearance and cost of ownership and service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Hi Anirudhbb - any particular reason why you didn't consider Sonet's cousin i.e. Venue?
Sorry, Venue was my 1st choice as a matter of fact, on my 45 mins TD, it was a massive let down. Ride felt equal to my Wagon-R and zero feel of CSUV.
anirudhbb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 11:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will second this.
Don't get an AMT. You will never be satisfied and question your purchase constantly. Most cars have a good amount of waiting period but City due to less sales maybe readily available. Do a TD and see how it feels. Also, don't cancel your Sonet booking till the time you have a new car with you. You never know when Kia does the allotment and dealers only speculate.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 12:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudhbb View Post

0. Safety
1. Automatic/AT/CVT/DCT
2. Sunroof
3. Space
4. Good ground-clearance
5. Driving pleasure - I love driving and we used to take 3-4 road trips a year pre-covid.
6. Reliable car, reliable brand (have had Maruti all my life)
7. Low maintenance
Came across your thread and I can understand the anguish of waiting for a car for such a long time.

Looking at the points you have noted down, I would suggest you to look at the Scross AT. It'll clear all your points except the Sunroof. It's a perfect upgrade from WagonR. You have experience of Maruti. Here you can continue the Maruti experience with a well built product. The facelifted Scross is still a long time away from India. So it'll be a safe bet.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed