Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 13:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Automatic beater car for 15L, replaces diesel Honda City

Why not wait for the 2022 brezza auto? Rumoured to come with a six speed automatic ( finally an upgrade from the old 4 speed TC), decent street cred, going by outgoing brezza's safety ratings probably going to be a 4/5 star gncap rated car as well, going to receive some good gizmos( but not too many buttons), added maruti peace of mind( and possibly a good FE can be expected as well), good resale value and since it's a maruti, probably easier to get a cng stock version/ modified later. Also likely to have good GC and supportive seats.
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 10:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer05 View Post
I dint know this was possible, do you mean change cushioning in the seat or replace with a new one?
Change it. You can bolster it with additional elements if you want, or you can get the existing one cut out to suit your needs. I personally haven't had the need to get it done yet but I have seen it being done in some shops. Also have read about some car owners getting it done. The basic frame of your seats will stay the same and simply some foam will be added/removed to suit your needs. You may also provide them the benchmark of the hexa and I feel they might be able to replicate that. It's worth exploring.
bled_soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 20:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled_soul View Post
Change it. You can bolster it with additional elements if you want, or you can get the existing one cut out to suit your needs
This makes me wonder if full seats can be swapped (say one from a different car). Are joints/rails between seats and chassis standardised? is it easy to find after market alternative if one does not like stock seats.

I am prying on the subject because, my wife needs a new car and most cars got eliminated due to seat comfort and seat, stearing, pedal ergonomics.
Old 14th December 2021, 21:16   #49
BHPian

Why did you miss out on the Honda Jazz ? It’s a no-nonsense car and is decently equipped and comparatively safer too. Do check it out once.
Old 15th December 2021, 12:32   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your response, guys! I have been busy with work and have not been able to get to driving Kiger turbo CVT as well as Celerio AMT. Funny thing is, neither dealership bothered to call or follow up either. Will post a detailed take after I drive both cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Try the Amaze, it is a very good deal for Petrol CVT around 10 lakh. But please check the rear ride quality thoroughly, it has improved but may not be up to your expectations.
Having driven Jazz for a decade, Amaze CVT is not an option. Car feels really flimsy and the engine+gearbox combo is too weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouth_Fury View Post
My suggestion is as below, in that order.

> Nexon EV - As a torque lover I definitely put this on top of the list for the instant torque.
> Kushaq - Haven't personally driven it, but all the reviews are singing praises of it's handling and 1.5L powerplant.
> Altroz - In its diesel guise, seems to be the best Altroz for me. Looks are subjective, but this sure is real handsome.
I loved the Kushaq, it is very much in the running. The 1.0 with the torque convereter. Altroz, unfortunately, does not get any automatic option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Sonet HTX D-AT comes closest among your options! And its pretty looking too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
IMHO the Kushaq and the Sonnet are the ones that should tick most if not all the boxes. Sonnet seems to be a more tried and tested option. Kushaq is definitely a capable car but I would be ready to face some small-medium issues given the newness of the model. As a plus both these cars offer a decent amount of kit.
Sonet is a surprisingly complete and well rounded car, especially the automatics. The cabin is cramped and the safety is questionable but the car makes a lot of sense for urban usage. Dealership experience is playing spoilsport as they cant get me a petrol DCT to drive. Will have to try with Delhi dealerships for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I am also in the same boat. All I am doing currently is "Wait". But I did some ground work to see which car fits my purpose and budget. I can share a bit hoping you might get some benefit out of this.
Waiting seems to be a very viable option. The next few months will see a new Brezza, a new Baleno, a new S Cross and a new wet clutch DCT from Tata for Altroz and Punch. We might get full out EV variants of both cars as well. My dad is definately inclined to wait it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrish View Post
That's a tricky list Nevertheless, there a quite a few good options listed. I am sure many have spoken about the popular ones. Let me add my experience on a car that's often left out due to reduced user experiences "The Kiger"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Would suggest Kiger/Magnite Turbo CVT.
Kiger turbo CVT is very much an option, but there is no car available to drive in Faridabad. I will be going to the Delhi dealership soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Best will be the Renault Kiger turbo CVT
Yes, Kiger is a fine car and is very much on the shortlist.

Loved your Altroz review. Too bad they dont offer an automatic. Did you get to drive the Celerio AMT during your purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartikaygaur View Post
I'm really looking forward to the updated Brezza, especially in CNG guise. No nonsense vehicle, easy on the pocket and the spy shots are not bad at all. Would suggest you to wait for the same. However, the factory fit CNG will most likely not have the automatic gearbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
Since you said beater car and assuming it will be mostly driven inside city and you are not seeking any driving thrills out of this car,
I suggest the best beater cars in current market are

Honda Amaze CVT (Soft suspension is better suited for city roads)
Brezza petrol AT (excellent for city run about, 4 speed AT is more than sufficient in daily traffic conditions)
New Brezza seems a very prosmising car and is something I am being pushed to wait for. Yes, they will never offer CNG+automatic option from the factory, but I can get that done aftermarket. I hope the silly ban on aftermarket CNG conversions for BS6 cars also gets lifted by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Read the entire thread, I am surprised no one suggested the Tigor EV yet.
You already have solar panels installed, an EV makes the most sense as city car. Plus, almost all other cars in the price range have one deal breaker or the other!
Man, I never thought of Tigor!
This can be a valid option for a beater car. Will have a hard time convinving my family to go for this one though. The car has zero street cred and Tata itself sells it as a taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickdown View Post
Really? I have driven the MG ZS and absolutely loved it. But I also agree that the rear seat is horribly bouncy. So much so that it gave me a headache merely 5 mins into the drive when I was seated in the rear (on a rough road though). But I am surprised you compared it with the Honda City. Is City's rear seat really that bad? I drove the City but haven't checked the rear seat ride. Might have to do that now.

Sorry to digress from your core point but I ask because I will be on a look out for a sedan next year and City was the prime candidate although Slavia is also in contention subject to its pricing.
Yes, the rear suspension of the City is BAD. It is without a doubt the worst in its class, the worst in its price range and even when compared with compact SUVs like Nexon and company. Then there are the super soft seats which deform and sag in just a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
Buy whatever car you want, but keep this one thing in mind... If you're planning to add-on an aftermarket CNG kit in order to lower your running costs, then would recommend you to stay away from the Turbo-Petrols. Most of the aftermarket CNG kit installers are not skilled enough to tune the kit properly with the Turbo-Petrol engine and later on, you'd have to face many issues...
It is a myth that turbo petrols and CNG kits are not compaitble. This is completely false. There are two kinds of turbo petrols: normal MPFI (Nexon, XUV300, Kiger) and direct injection turbos(Mahindra Thar and XUV700, Hyundai GDI and VW/Skoda TSi). There are seperate kits available for MPFI turbo engines and for DI turbo engines. The correct kit has to be used. Many of these engies have 2 injectors per cylinder, so the appropriate number of CNG injectors have to be used. Accordingly, an extra ECU might also be required. If the installer doesn't use the proper hardware, yes, all kinds of problems will happen. Obviously.

On similar lines, it is another myth that aftyermarket CNG kits dont work with automatics. These are lies peddled by incompetent installers to hide their own shortcomings.

Installer expertise is always important for any aftermarket job, be it a stereo installation or ceramic coating or a lighting upgrade or CNG retrofit.

Still, this entire aftermarket CNG debate is moot as they are not allowing RC endorsement for BS6 cars. I will not go for it until the legal position is clear.

Quote:
do TD S-Cross automatic, transmission does the job (especially for city), you won't find it lacking. S-Cross is really good in terms of build, suspension setup, cabin and seats. Surprisingly good VFM.
The current S Cross is being phased out very soon. The upcoming new model may be an option in case we decide to wait it out. Personally, I am not too inclined. Never liked the way it looked and the new car is basically a facelift. I'd rather consider the upcoming new Brezza instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled_soul View Post
Why don't you get the seats recontoured at a good interior shop? Since it doesn't have seat airbags, it's doable. Won't mess with anything else in the car and you can get it custom made to your liking. Shouldn't cost a lot either from what I believe, and would have the great advantage of an EV's running cost and the versatility of the Nexon.
Quote:
I dint know this was possible, do you mean change cushioning in the seat or replace with a new one?

Seat recountouring is something that I have done in my City and Jazz, with only morderate success. When I am buying an all new car with a fairly decent budget, I dont want to go down that road. Nexon EV is anyway costing more than 18.5L, its not cheap to begin with(no benefits in Haryana). I think it is extremely overpriced for what it offers. I expect my new 15L+ rupee car to come with good seats that can accomodate well fed Punjabi adults comfortably.

Replacing the seats with another car's on my brand new ride is not an option! That is never going to be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
Why not wait for the 2022 brezza auto?
Very valid option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
Why did you miss out on the Honda Jazz ? It’s a no-nonsense car and is decently equipped and comparatively safer too. Do check it out once.
We already own a Jazz! It was the first car that I bought. My brother uses it.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th December 2021 at 12:40.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 14:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
This makes me wonder if full seats can be swapped (say one from a different car). Are joints/rails between seats and chassis standardised? is it easy to find after market alternative if one does not like stock seats.

I am prying on the subject because, my wife needs a new car and most cars got eliminated due to seat comfort and seat, stearing, pedal ergonomics.
This most likely won't be possible as I believe some cars have wider seats and some narrower. Also the extent of tech in the seats can dictate the frame, and of course the chassis will matter too. So if you want Hexa seats in a Nexon, tough luck I suppose. You may get close based on the skill of the craftsman. Good luck with your search!
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
a new wet clutch DCT from Tata for Altroz and Punch.
May i know the source of this information?
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:47   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
May i know the source of this information?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nexon-dct.html (Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?)

This transmission has been in testing for quite some time now and is expected to be launched soon.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This makes me wonder if full seats can be swapped (say one from a different car). Are joints/rails between seats and chassis standardized? is it easy to find after market alternative if one does not like stock seats.

I am prying on the subject because, my wife needs a new car and most cars got eliminated due to seat comfort and seat, steering, pedal ergonomics.
The rails are not standard but they can be swapped as well. The main constraint is the space and whether the seat you want will fit in the given space. Aftermarket racing-type seats like the sparco are not comfortable for long drives and their authorized dealer himself advised me against it for the Polo. So, you will have to find some regular car seat that you find comfortable, or modify the existing seat itself.
Old 12th April 2022, 08:24   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

With the new financial year started, the time has come to make the decision.

I have now made up my mind regarding the following:

1. There is no clarity on CNG retrofits for new cars. That, the sharply increasing price of gas, and the other cons that come given with CNG means I have dropped it from consideration. Means, out go the likes of Kiger, Magnite, new Baleno, upcoming Brezza, Altroz DCA etc.

2. The spike in fuel costs has coincided with an increase in usage. Kid has started school. Wife’s usage has also increased. Just yesterday, I filled up Hexa for exactly Rs 5000. This tank will last me for a week, 10 days tops. Low running costs are paramount.

3. Tigor EV has emerged as a dark horse. It has all the good attributes of the Nexon EV at a significantly lower price. On paper, it’s the right size, has the minimum range and performance for a city car and is well suited for workhorse duty. Salesperson is expected the bring the car over today for the test drive.

4. I was very impressed by the updated ZS EV. You can find my initial driving impressions here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...99-lakh-4.html (MG ZS EV facelift launched at Rs. 21.99 lakh)
I am seriously considering booking the base model. Problem is, there is no clarity on the delivery timeline. Also, a part of me feels it is too big, fancy and expensive for daily workhorse duty. Maybe it is just my pathological middle classness. Otherwise, it seems perfect. The salesperson is expected to bring the car over for an extended test drive in a day or two.

5. The upcoming Honda City hybrid is a wild card entry. While I have pretty much made up my mind about going electric, the promise of 25kmpl and the street cred the City carries has piqued my father’s interest. Eagerly waiting the launch and looking forward to driving it. I am concerned about how delayed the actual deliveries will be, the price point and potential niggles with a new, complex and untested drivetrain.

Inputs are welcome.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th April 2022 at 08:51.
Old 14th April 2022, 16:24   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

So we took a long test drive of the Tigor EV today.

There is no escaping the underlying budget car origins and the overall cheapness. The car feels built to a cost, despite the 15L rupee asking price. The quality of plastics, fit and finish, trims, seats, cushioning etc all belong to the 6-9L Rupee budget car segment, which kind of makes sense as that’s the price band the petrol Tigor plays in. But for this price range, all this is simply unacceptable.

The EV drivetrain itself is fairly well executed. Regeneration is much better judged than the Nexon EV and the drive is smooth. Way too much road noise enters the cabin though, you don’t get that quiet EV drive. Overall experience was rather underwhelming, especially considering the asking price. Tigor EV is just way out of its league here.

Another sore point is range. Me, dad and wife took turns over the 20km route, all city traffic, and we all drove normally and casually. Overall energy consumption stood at 201wh/km, which means overall range of 120km. We had no such issues with ZS EV, where battery usage was much more reasonable.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th April 2022 at 16:25.
Old 14th April 2022, 19:21   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
So we took a long test drive of the Tigor EV today.

There is no escaping the underlying budget car origins and the overall cheapness. The car feels built to a cost, despite the 15L rupee asking price. The quality of plastics, fit and finish, trims, seats, cushioning etc all belong to the 6-9L Rupee budget car segment, which kind of makes sense as that’s the price band the petrol Tigor plays in. But for this price range, all this is simply unacceptable.

Another sore point is range. Me, dad and wife took turns over the 20km route, all city traffic, and we all drove normally and casually. Overall energy consumption stood at 201wh/km, which means overall range of 120km. We had no such issues with ZS EV, where battery usage was much more reasonable.
Would like to add, that 120km range is when brand new, within a few years it will be down to 40-50km and will make it unusable until you change the battery. Also, this thing behaves like a brick above 100, has no power and is very slow to accelerate, this is dangerous when overtaking, be it city or highway. Wouldn’t recommend.
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:05   #58
UAK

Could you please compare Jeep Compass (O) 1.4 Petrol DCT vs MZ ZS EV Exclusive? Points of comparison: Driving pleasure, comfort for fellow passengers, and approximate TCO(mileage+maintenance) (say for 75000kms over a period of 5 years). Expected annual running= ~ 15000 kMs (Most of this would be within a range of 150 KMs, with occasional long-distance trips from Pune to South India - no dearth of fast chargers on this route). I need this suggestion for my brother-in-law. (I own a Nexon EV and have clocked 30000kMs in 10 months. It's been a very good experience so far. The only issue with Nexon EV: limited range (~ 220kM), therefore, it is a little inconvenient to take it for long-distance trips as it requires a top for every 150km).
Old 24th August 2022, 12:28   #59
BHPian

Why not consider the Altroz DCA? It comes with wet clutch hence lesser wear and tear. Might be a good package.
Old 30th December 2022, 16:36   #60
BHPian

Can you give an update on what car you bought or decided to buy? I came across this thread and found many similarities between your situation and mine. Have a 15 year old beater which I want to replace for about 15L-20L. It feels like I am way too picky at times so I wanted to know your outcome.
RodRowdyBiker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks