Team-BHP > What Car?


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2022, 11:30   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 245
Thanked: 203 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Running on B6 with after market alloys and 45 profile tyres for my 2016 Octavia since a year and super happy with the set up. Car just stays flat irrespective of speeds and feels a segment above. Let’s see how it fares over a longer period.
Aftermarket alloys with 45 profile tires fitted with B6 on my car wouldn't last even 500 kms on Bangalore city roads. So I am running OE alloys with 225/50/17. Even the OE alloys get bent. I do drive slow on broken roads. May be the extra kerb weight of the car and stiffer springs contribute to the problem on my car. IIRC, Gen2 Superb's OE suspension is stiffer than the Octavia

Also do check for any twist bends when you balance your wheels next time. Most of my alloys suffered twist bends while edge of the alloys didn't.

In terms of longevity of B6, they would outlast the car many times over. They still show no signs of wear even after 7 years and about 80k KMs.
novice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 11:33   #17
One
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 204
Thanked: 960 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

First level of check should be just service history paperwork and green light from the BMW A.S.S - this can be done just over the phone. Only then you should consider checking the car in person. This very simple process saves you a tremendous amount of time and disappointment.
Is this possible without the owner's consent because typically my experience (non-BMW) has been that it is needed before any checks?
One is online now  
Old 14th January 2022, 12:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,805
Thanked: 16,230 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Is this possible without the owner's consent because typically my experience (non-BMW) has been that it is needed before any checks?
Sorry for going off topic. Two options:

1. Convince the dealer to facilitate owner consent because you are 100% certain you don't want to waste time on a car that doesn't have a green light from A.S.S. Dealer would be worried that you will bypass him and directly make a deal with the owner - assure him that won't be the case and you are legit.

2. If you have the registration number, you can reach out to a service advisor at the A.S.S without owner consent. Either with an introduction from a friend who owns that brand car or just cold call the front-desk and say you are from Chennai and passing through Bangalore and your 5 series is showing up some warning message - could I have the service advisor's phone number? Once you get the contact number, you can just politely ask the S.A that you are considering to buy this car and could he just let you know if it is a GO/NO-GO based on service history. Most guys oblige and give you plenty of insider info. This would also be a good time to ask if is aware of any well-maintained cars for sale or what would be a fair price for that car, etc.

Bottom line is that I will never check a car in person before I have some reasonable assurance that the service history is perfect 10/10. I am only looking for "depreciation discount" and not "gamble discount" if you know what I mean.
androdev is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 13:10   #19
One
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 204
Thanked: 960 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Sorry for going off topic. Two options:
.
.
.
I am only looking for "depreciation discount" and not "gamble discount" if you know what I mean.
Thanks for the detailed and cogent answer
One is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 20:10   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 245
Thanked: 203 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Took a TD of Audi A6. I am super impressed with Audi’s sales team. I registered for TD on Audi India website yesterday evening. Someone called me with in 30 minutes, noted down my requirement and promised to call me the next morning. To my surprise, someone did call me this morning and promised to be at my place in 10 mins. The car did turn up at my door step in 10 minutes. I haven’t seen this level of professionalism in a long time

The experience with Navnit BMW and Tafe Skoda has been the polar opposite. They both didn’t bother to even call me after I directly called their sales team and expressed my interest.

Now coming to the car itself, I don’t have to say much about the interior quality, fit and finish, refinement and NVH. It’s all great. It also seem offer more space than 5 series.

I was hoping the drive would be good as well. But unfortunately the first thing that came to my mind after driving it for just about a KM was my much hated 2004 Corolla. That may be a dramatic statement but..

The suspension was super soft, steering was light, had too much side to side body roll on imperfect roads, that sickening nose drive under even moderate braking and considerable torque steer under hard acceleration.

I really wanted to like that car but there is no way I am putting my money on it. My Gen2 Superb is a far better driver’s car than the A6. I knew Audi is behind BMW when it comes to driving pleasure but never imagined the gap is so wide. Cars like 530i and especially 330i are in a different planet altogether.

A6 and all other A and Q series Audi’s would forever be in my list of untouchables. I am actually quite sad, A6 would have been at the top my list if it had better road manners.

Last edited by novice : 14th January 2022 at 20:28.
novice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 10:42   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 45 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post

The experience with Navnit BMW and Tafe Skoda has been the polar opposite. They both didn’t bother to even call me after I directly called their sales team and expressed my interest.
Give it a try with Deutsche Motoren BMW Whitefield if it's near or feasible. They could be more response from some feedback I got. Regards,
simplysaj is offline  
Old 15th January 2022, 11:29   #22
BHPian
 
vredesbyrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Freeport 7
Posts: 613
Thanked: 2,033 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

I would agree with androdev. Wait for the right BMW. F10/G30 530d is fast, efficient and quite reliable too. Same goes for the F15 X5 as well. You're already used to Skoda, getting a Superb III or a Kodiaq won't bring anything new to the table.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:13   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 66,663
Thanked: 264,866 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I was hoping the drive would be good as well. But unfortunately the first thing that came to my mind after driving it for just about a KM was my much hated 2004 Corolla.
The problem is you are driving a remapped Superb with a modified suspension . Upgrading from a car like this is too difficult as a segment up doesn't feel like an upgrade at all (or it doesn't seem worth the price difference). I have seen Endeavour 3.2 & Innova 2.8 customers feel the same way. It's the same story with all cars that punch above their weight (Cars that punch above their weight in India!).

Stick with your Kodiaq booking & test-drive it the soonest. You'll be pleased.

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2022 at 12:14.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:23   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 1,247 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
1) A good reliable automatic gearbox
This first requirement of your’s pretty much rules out Skodas and VWs assuming that “reliable” is the operative part of that sentence.
EV NXT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 16:32   #25
Newbie
 
thenewsymbol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7
Thanked: 25 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post

Or is there another car that is worth buying under 50-55lakhs budget that I overlooked. Big burly SUVs aren't my type.
How about Toyota Camry ?
thenewsymbol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:52   #26
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 628
Thanked: 286 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Driven both Superb and Kodiaq 2.0 TSI back to back on same route yesterday, I can vouch for Kodiaq. With DCC set to "Comfort" Kodiaq is way ahead in eating up bad roads and speed breakers at city speeds. Also, I feel the suspension travel is more in Kodiaq. In sports mode, Kodiaq is so eager to follow the steering, probably a notch above Superb - may be the 4 wheel drive is helping here.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 15th January 2022 at 17:56.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:32   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 245
Thanked: 203 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysaj View Post
Give it a try with Deutsche Motoren BMW Whitefield if it's near or feasible. They could be more response from some feedback I got. Regards,
I did reach out to them and they were quite helpful and allowed me to TD multiple cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I would agree with androdev. Wait for the right BMW. F10/G30 530d is fast, efficient and quite reliable too. Same goes for the F15 X5 as well. You're already used to Skoda, getting a Superb III or a Kodiaq won't bring anything new to the table.
A 530d would be my top choice if I can find a good one. But I am tired of waiting for a KA registered one in good condition to turn up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The problem is you are driving a remapped Superb with a modified suspension . Upgrading from a car like this is too difficult as a segment up doesn't feel like an upgrade at all (or it doesn't seem worth the price difference). I have seen Endeavour 3.2 & Innova 2.8 customers feel the same way. It's the same story with all cars that punch above their weight (Cars that punch above their weight in India!).

Stick with your Kodiaq booking & test-drive it the soonest. You'll be pleased.
I always thought cars would get better and gain better road handling characteristics as one goes up the chain. I still can't understand how a soggy suspension that bounces up and down and sways side to side adds to the feeling of luxury. I believe a suspension setup with moderate levels of stiffness provides a far superior back seat experience than a spongy one.

My Superb felt so much better to drive when I switched to it immediately after driving A6. Superb had some character that the A6 lacked. I believe Superb would drive better than A6 even without those Bilsteins.

Sorry for referring to the Mondeo frequently. But I believe that car had one the most perfect balance between ride and handling. It maintained flattest possible ride yet it never felt crashy unless one went over deep potholes and big humps at speeds. Why can't other manufacturers do the same. It can't be that difficult.

Sorry for my rants. I am sort of pissed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
This first requirement of your’s pretty much rules out Skodas and VWs assuming that “reliable” is the operative part of that sentence.
I know. My Superb went through Mechatronic replacement twice. But that was long time ago, in 2014-15 time frame. It has been running fine since then. I am hoping the new transmission in Superb and Kodiaq would be a better one and the days of frequent DSG trouble are over.
novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:00   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Cochin
Posts: 33
Thanked: 105 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Why don't you checkout the Tiguan ? Handles well, although IMHO skoda feels premium to Tiguan
rt363 is offline  
Old 16th January 2022, 15:49   #29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 8
Thanked: 139 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Hi,

I think you are in the same position I was put in few years back

I had a gen2 petrol superb, stage 1+ tuned, bilstein shocks, CAT bypass done and auto park retrofitted (still don't know why I did that ) Was doing around 200+ bhp.

I had a much smaller budget, but was looking at used options. Nothing was as good as the Superb. Like GTO said, that car was punching way above weight. I was looking at used 520d's and A6s at that point. And except for better sound insulation and sophisticated interiors, I wasn't able to find much value in the big Germans. But I did settle for the 3.0 TDI quattro A6, it had air suspension with adaptive dampers. I was able to take it for the sheer power and torque it produced. But honestly, it wasn't as fun to drive on the highways, or at least didn't feel as dramatic on the steering wheel or the chassis. This is the best way I could put the feeling into words, the Audi felt like it was doing highspeeds effortlessly without the driver's involvement/skill, Superb felt fast, with dramatic speaker generated engine noise and felt like the driver was given more control.

Today, I am very happy with the L&K Kodiaq 2.0 TDI, but I wasn't as happy with the stock power though. But in terms of ride, handling, steering feedback and practicality, its very good. Handles better than the mk4 Octavia which I test drove recently which IMHO which was too soft for my liking, pretty much like the new A6 which you test drove.

Kodiaq's huge weakness was its power was just adequate, now that it has the TSI motor, its a no brainer. I would have gone for this eyes closed if I had this option a year back.

And if you are looking to tune, the pre FL Kodiaq came with DQ500 DSG, not sure about the FL, whether its a DQ380 or the DQ500.

Hope it helps !
onej_maverick is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 13:47   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 245
Thanked: 203 Times
Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by onej_maverick View Post
I had a much smaller budget, but was looking at used options. Nothing was as good as the Superb. Like GTO said, that car was punching way above weight. I was looking at used 520d's and A6s at that point. And except for better sound insulation and sophisticated interiors, I wasn't able to find much value in the big Germans. But I did settle for the 3.0 TDI quattro A6, it had air suspension with adaptive dampers. I was able to take it for the sheer power and torque it produced. But honestly, it wasn't as fun to drive on the highways, or at least didn't feel as dramatic on the steering wheel or the chassis. This is the best way I could put the feeling into words, the Audi felt like it was doing highspeeds effortlessly without the driver's involvement/skill, Superb felt fast, with dramatic speaker generated engine noise and felt like the driver was given more control.

Today, I am very happy with the L&K Kodiaq 2.0 TDI, but I wasn't as happy with the stock power though. But in terms of ride, handling, steering feedback and practicality, its very good. Handles better than the mk4 Octavia which I test drove recently which IMHO which was too soft for my liking, pretty much like the new A6 which you test drove.

Kodiaq's huge weakness was its power was just adequate, now that it has the TSI motor, its a no brainer. I would have gone for this eyes closed if I had this option a year back.

And if you are looking to tune, the pre FL Kodiaq came with DQ500 DSG, not sure about the FL, whether its a DQ380 or the DQ500.

Hope it helps !
Thank you for your inputs. I could relate to every word you said. I too felt a bit underwhelmed when I test drove the 530i. The car is better in every parameter except space but I still think 80lakhs OTR is a big money for incremental differences over the Superb, especially when I think about how little I paid to get my Superb. Car prices have surged ahead so much over the past decade. A 2018+ model 530i at around 45 to 50 lakhs would be a great bargain though.

I see conflicting information about the DSG model in Kodiaq 2.0 TSI. Some say VW replaced DQ500 with the newer DQ381 on most models but others say Kodiaq still continues with DQ500. It seems even DQ381 can handle up to 420-450NM. But I read somewhere that the 2.0 TSI in Octavia/Superb/Kodiaq isn't mod friendly.

I am firmly in Kodiaq camp unless the TD throws up some surprises.
novice is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks