Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2022, 23:13   #31

Re: Skoda Superb vs Skoda Kodiaq

Hello, have you considered Volvos? They are safe and luxurious to say the least. The only drawback is the power and acceleration. Not a big drawback though. Consider the S60 or XC60 in your search. S60 in red is unparalleled in beauty.

Good luck on your journey and congratulations in advance.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th January 2022 at 05:37. Reason: Edited for readability
dontmukwith51 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th January 2022, 11:10   #32
BHPian

I took a short TD of Kodiaq yesterday. I must say I am impressed with the overall package. But I am not sure if I would put my money on it with all my heart.

The first thing that strikes you is how small and nimble it feels to drive, at least on straight roads. You don't feel the weight and dimensions of it once you start driving. It feels just like an overgrown hatch.

It has a well balanced suspension setup, feels stiffer than the Superb even in Comfort mode setting and that, in my books, is a good thing. Sport mode only makes it better but would be unsuitable for broken roads. Unlike the Superb, vertical body movements are well controlled even in Comfort mode. I hated Superb's excessive suspension travel, almost felt like it was running on worn-out dampers. Kodiaq, despite being a tall vehicle, has it's body roll well controlled with only a faint hint of roll on imperfect but straight roads. I didn't get a chance to see how well it handles around corners. But I expect a bit of roll and perhaps bit of understeer due to tall stance and weight. Overall, I am happy with the way Kodiaq's suspension is setup.

As many others have commented before, it is quite easy to cross legal speed limits while driving a Kodiaq. Not just that, it should be fairly easy to maintain those speeds on any decent road. However, I didn't find it to be sprightly. It gained sufficient momentum when I floored the pedal but took a second or two before engine started growling and picked up pace in a linear fashion. The feeling of being pinned to the seat under hard acceleration was completely missing. I don't know if Kodiaq's added weight contributes to this or if that is the trait of new 2.0 TSI and DQ381 combo. I found the older 1.8TSI+DQ200 to be much more eager and responsive to throttle inputs and gives that feeling of being pinned to the seat. To summarize, it has adequate power but didn't put a smile on my face when I floored it. Or perhaps the refinement and better NVH of Kodiaq actually masking the speed. My TD was too short to make a definitive assessment. Will take another drive few weeks later after the initial euphoria dies down.

My biggest disappointment though is the steering. It was accurate but numb on road feel like all modern electric units, which is Ok. It was light at city speeds but my biggest grouse it didn't seem to weigh up sufficiently enough even in Sport mode for confident maneuverings at high speeds. But that's how 95% of all soft-roaders on our roads drive and the majority would find the steering to be perfect. Not for a driving enthusiast though.

Overall, a very component Crossover/SUV with near Sedan like handling and one that actually feels better to drive than it's Sedan sibling, the Superb. It just needs bit more power, a tighter steering and perhaps a lowering spring () to be a fun car.

I might still buy it unless I find a preowned BMW in my budget.

Last edited by novice : 20th January 2022 at 11:13.
novice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 12:20   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontmukwith51 View Post
Hello, have you considered Volvos? They are safe and luxurious to say the least. The only drawback is the power and acceleration. Not a big drawback though. Consider the S60 or XC60 in your search. S60 in red is unparalleled in beauty.

Good luck on your journey and congratulations in advance.
Thank you. I did consider S60 but have a certain mind block that anything that costs over 50 lakhs should be powerful and have RWD/AWD. Can't justify paying more for a car that ultimately may not drive as good and not offer space as much as a VW/Skoda.

I held this belief or mental block since long. May be things (i.e. prices) moved on so much in the past few years and I probably need to revisit and revise my thresholds.

Last edited by novice : 20th January 2022 at 12:26.
Old 20th January 2022, 14:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Are you sure you were searching with a target budget of 55L? I am 100% certain you will find a very good option among 530D/530i and 6 GT cars in Bangalore used car market if you have a generous budget of 55L. A quick search on bmw-portal, carwale, OLX, team-bhp classified gives me reasonably priced and genuine-looking cars:

https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...ies/16934.html
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy.../E-Class.html/
https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...5-Series.html/
https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=20&isP=false

Not directly helpful links but these are representative prices (before negotiations) for genuine-looking cars in BLR/HYD/MAS markets where the prices would be in the same range.

My personal order would be this:
Kodiaq > Superb > A6 > 520D > 530i > 530D > 6GT > Panamera (he he, just kidding)
I got a lead for a used 520d.

Variant: Luxury Line
Make: 2019 Nov
Odo: 48K
Asking Price: 42L (Orange Book Value price is close to this)
Condition: Excellent (heard it's immaculately maintained)
Service history is clean and available with BMW

I was initially looking at 25K run cars, but they are hard to find. Is 48K a bit too much of a run for a 520d? Are these cars built to last long without issues (and also rattles/squeaks)? What would be an excellent buyer price for this one?

Also, in general and all else being same, would you go for a car with less age and more run, or more age and less run?

Thanks

Last edited by Ojas : 20th January 2022 at 15:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks