Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2022, 17:24   #61
BHPian

Re: Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?

First of all congratulations on turning 18, and also on being able to convince your folks to get you a car.

When i was 18, i was promised a car if i crack a good college. My folks never expected me to do it. So when i eventually did it, everytime i asked for a car i was told to exhibit if i can change the spare wheel. This went on for 6 months. Hope you have better luck.

On the car itself, i would suggest the following.

1. Pick a manual to start, manuals may be on the decline but starting off on a manual helps you understand cars.

2. Pick a less powerful engine - Agree 100% with GTO here, smaller engines can still be a lot of fun. you will learn to wring out the maximum from your car and when you upgrade you will know how to work a powerfull car.

3. Pick something mainstream - Trust me, you will knick the car. There will be dents, scratches and the odd incident. Asking parents to get your car fixed is not an easy conversation. Get a car you can discreetly get fixed in 1-2k at a roadside garage. A Maruti is a blessing.

Finally, enjoy your car. More than the driving pleasure its the mobility which is the game changer when you are 18. Just never drink and drive and be responsible.
AP_1812 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 18:47   #62
BHPian

Re: Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Go for an Etios 1.5L petrol and thank me later!
I second Samba on this.

An Etios in the petrol avatar with its 1.5L naturally aspirated engine and a power to weight ratio of almost 100bhp/ton (94.6bhp/ton to be precise) is a hoot to drive. Just go through the official T-BHP review and take a test drive.

It is also quite simple mechanically, and if you are so inclined, you can carry out regular services and minor maintenance yourself or at any FNG.

Being a relatively newer car as compared to Baleno, Old Honda City, 1st gen Octavia, etc, parts availability should also not be an issue.

To sweeten the ride, you can get an android headunit with reverse camera, swap out the airbox for a performance oriented one, slap on a spoiler and some fancy rims. Not to mention, most of this should fit comfortably within the budget you have allocated for the car purchase.

Cheers and happy hunting for your first ride.
hmansari
hmansari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 19:09   #63
BHPian

Congratulations on turning 18!

You are at an interesting juncture of age. I suggest you to start slow and build up gradually. We can't learn to run before we can learn to walk.

There are enough suggestions that experienced forum members have given above. I just wish to put my two cents:

1. Buy a pre-owned small hatchback or a compact sedan as your first car.
2. It should be reliable, cheap to run and must not break your wallet.
3. ABS and two airbags are a must. Any added safety features are welcome.
4. Use it till you are in college and then switch it for something bigger.

The most suited cars for your usage IMHO would be Swift/ Dzire/ Wagon R from Maruti Suzuki Stable, Jazz/ Brio from Honda and Liva/ Etios from Toyota.

Drive each one of these and buy the one which is latest, has least number of clicks on odo, has a clear service history and above all, appeals to your heart.

Lastly, whatever car you buy, give it a bit of love and she will love you back!
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 19:41   #64
BHPian

First of all, happy 18! I know how exciting it is to turn 18 and have a ride of your own. Using parents' vehicles (sometimes) can be cumbersome and you expect the flexibility to take out your vehicle on your whims.

As all the above users have said, even I'll advise the same. Take it slow. get something with low power (HP figures). It'll even help with the fuel efficiency. You'll require some time to ger used to the car and understand how it behaves. I use my mom's 2016 WagonR VXi whenever I go home (I'm a hosteler). We had bought it in 2016. I learnt how to drive it when i turned 16, and gained complete confidence by 17. I got my 4+2 combined licence when I turned 18, and it's been my toy car ever since.

In places like India, it's mandatory that you have complete control of your car and how to use its power wisely. This will help you a lot while making quick turns (to pass closely parked cars and make U turns). Consider something like a Maruti : its easy on the pocket and spares are available at every nook and corner of the city (in case you need one, god forbid). And these things are reliable, VERY reliable. They wont show any sort of tantrums (as compared to other cars-until the battery is bad).

I would advice you to go for a pre owned WagonR (its got good headroom and ample space-my friends love going out in it for trips), or a Swift (its got good driving dynamics, and it'll help in making you a comparatively experienced driver.

Have a safe Drive!

A picture, for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?-toy_car-1.jpeg  

saitvsk23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 19:43   #65
BHPian

Like Samba, ron178 and hmansari I would also like to recommend the Etios Liva but the 1.4 diesel instead of the 1.5 petrol. While it doesn't have the top end power of the 1.5 its low end torque makes it a pretty fun to drive car. Further of the diesel clutch makes it pretty forgiving compared to the petrol for new drivers.

Although it lacks in interiors and features, its something that aftermarket mods cant solve easily. Moreover you can go for Etios Cross if you into SUV looks.
Old 26th January 2022, 19:57   #66

I bought my first ever car last month just after finishing college. I also wanted my first car to be somewhat an enthusiast car as well and finally bought a 2006 suzuki esteem. I love driving it. But sourcing the parts ( still figuring out how to ) and the fear that it would break down at some point ( it would probably be very embarassing to happen in college ) takes away the peace of mind of owning it. I had to wait for a week to get the radiator sourced ( which had to be returned back since it was suzuki 1000's radiator )

I do sometimes feel that it would've been better to go with something which has better aftermarket support like a wagonR or a swift.

Imo, it would be better to go for something more reliable, cheap and has great aftermarket support. But hey, I have owned a car for only 3 months now.

And all the best for your first car
Old 26th January 2022, 20:14   #67

Get a used Tiago JTP
Lemonysnicketz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 20:37   #68
BHPian

Congratulations you will be able to vote and drive legally in few weeks

Looking at the wish list, I can understand your anticipation to own a dream car, nothing wrong, all of us have gone through it (still going through, it will never end).

Most importantly buy a relatively safer care, be in control and follow the traffic discipline.

There are all kinds of cars available on OLX Bengaluru. Considering your list, I would suggest Honda Civic, it's still drool worth and may not disappoint you.

One example of Honda Civic on OLX Bengaluru:
Name:  1image.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  51.6 KB
hummer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 22:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

As a student, you need something that is fairly reliable and is an all rounder for your fun moments with friends.

I would strongly discourage European cars in this budget as maintenance can be high for some parts. Same goes for accord/Civic/Camry from 2007-2010s. They can be had dirt cheap but one bad experience with their transmission can run into the price of that entire car.

Something from Maruti/Hyundai/Honda is what you should limit yourself to as your first car. Perhaps a Grand i10/Swift/jazz/Amaze. Etios/Liva is also a seemingly good recommendation by the way.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 22:42   #70
BHPian

As a beginner, I would recommend you to look out for the Ford Figo 1.4 Diesel, preferably the 2012-13 model or the Ford Fiesta. These are great cars which are going cheap, very forgiving (I learnt in the Figo) and are very reliable.

You will get great examples in that budget range, spares would not be a problem since a lot of these cars have been sold. Fiesta diesel or the 1.6 (classic) would also be great.

Swift is a safe choice, but I would recommend Figo since it has that extra oomph and is a rare breed of cars with solid body and chassis.
Old 26th January 2022, 22:47   #71
BHPian

I too would like to recommend a used 2nd gen Swift Vxi/Vdi, if you can find one. Yup, even with a budget of 4 lakhs, you will have to try really hard to find a decent example of a 7-year-old car priced at 6.5 lakhs at that time. The used car market has gone crazy.

I say keep your options open to cars like Ritz, Figo, Tiago etc. which do not come to people's minds instantly. You will get a much better deal for these. A WagonR would be a better choice too.

Do not worry about the fun to drive aspect. I learnt driving on a 2nd gen Dzire last year and trust me, for a beginner these compact cars with decent power are more than enough. Heck, you will have more fun revving the K12 motor to the redline than trying to control the power of something like the Civic or VRS.
Old 26th January 2022, 23:17   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono213 View Post

1) A used 1st gen honda jazz, no brainer in terms of aesthetic and of course, honda's reliability and service

2) A 1st gen diesel swift would also cater to your needs very well

Have fun figuring this out!
Thank you Jono, I've rejected the Honda Jazz for now because I'm not a personal fan of the looks of the Gen 1 Jazz (Gen 2 looks great though) and we already have a Honda at home in the form of dad's 2017 City ZX Petrol. But I will give it a test drive before I buy.

Current top pick is a facelifted Gen 1 Swift, preferably ZXI model from 2007-08 onwards because that's when I think the facelift was. The 1.3L petrol in that is the same one the Gypsy used till 2017 so parts should be abundant.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 26th January 2022 at 23:19.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 23:24   #73
BHPian

Gen1 Figo (diesel), Gen1 swift (petrol/ diesel), Gen1 Jazz are my suggestions too, for trouble free ownership. A few hundred / thousands of miles later you can decide about corner carving and redlining. A matured driver can do some heavy driving for the adrenaline rush at any time, with a lot more responsibility.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 23:33   #74
BHPian

Apart from the Maruti Swift/ Wagon R which are great options, you may consider a pre-worshipped Maruti Ritz or a Honda Brio. These two cars provide a good mix of fun to drive as well as not very high on power. The first car I bought on my own was a Ritz VDi and provided better seating compared to the Swift and with the 1.3L DDiS, it was decent on power and good on mileage and maintenance. I sold the car after 1.3 Lakh kilometers and it was still going strong. One of my colleagues own a Brio and I understand that its very nice to drive in cities due to its compact size and if boot space is not a deal breaker, you may consider.

As already suggested by fellow Bhpians at length, though it's difficult to keep one's adrenaline rush under control but I would strongly suggest that one must exercise restraint and should not indulge in activities which poses serious threat to your and other's life and safety. Happy Driving!
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 01:24   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hello there, I turn 18 in about 3 weeks and I'm looking for a first car that is also a good enthusiast car, I'm one of the emotional guys when it comes to Automobiles so drive feel/emotional connect is very important.
I would suggest you to get the 5-Speed MPFI Maruti 800. The car is insanely fun to be behind the wheel. For a starter, it is a practical and at the same time, a fun car. Clock some serious miles on this little car and then get yourself one of the >100 BHP cars.

P.S - I’m 24 now and started with a humble Tata Nano when I turned 19 and drove it for 18k kilometres in 1.5 years, before I upgraded to a Carb Esteem.

Regards,
VaishaK MurugesaN

Last edited by Aditya : 27th January 2022 at 06:29. Reason: Quoted text trimmed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks