Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 23:22   #91
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed! Used Car for College Kid

Hello, and congratulations on your first car purchase.

'Small, reliable, and cheap (read: inexpensive)' has Maruti written all over it.
If you have a strict 3 lacs budget, an Alto 800 would be pretty much in range.

Maruti offers best value in that price range, and in my opinion, nothing else beats it by far.

If you can get your hands on a used Alto k10 at a discount, nothing like it!! Although K10s are selling for a premium even after being discontinued.

CNG depends on your city. If you're in Delhi, I'd say go for it. It is cheapest to run. I don't really know the CNG infrastructure around Mumbai to advise for or against it.
Old 29th January 2022, 23:48   #92
BHPian

Re: Advice Needed! Used Car for College Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaH View Post
Hi,

I have a Budget of 3L INR and I am in the market for a small reliable and cheap to run car.

This will be my first car and the commute will be within Mumbai from Colaba to Juhu once the pandemic rules have eased.

I was looking at CNG cars since that provides the cheapest commute cost, but I have read somewhere that used CNG cars are towards their end of life and do not have any power left in them.

I am 20 yo and want a frugal yet peppy car that I can enjoy in the city.

My running will be mostly in the city, around 60 km a day and a 100-150km highway trip once a quarter.

I am open to all brands and models.

Thank You!

Adi

Hey man, I recently started my own thread as I turn 18 in 2 weeks and I'm looking for a car under 4 lakhs. I will post the link to this below and hey nice to see a fellow Aditya in TeamBHP

Given the 60km daily run I would suggest a used Alto K10 as the more spirited options like the Old 1.3 Swift would likely consume more fuel.

(The thread I started) (Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?)

I also found an Ad on Droom about a 2015 Alto K10 VXI AMT for sale with barely 14,000km on the clock selling for just above 3 lakh in Delhi.

Link to Alto K10 AMT listing on Droom

You can also find cars like the Gen 1 Renault Kwid and Facelifted Gen 1 i10's (2012-2016) around this price point.
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:51   #93
BHPian

Re: Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?

Hey GreasyCarb55,

My suggestion would be start with something subtle on power and easy to drive, it may contradictory to what I did when I turned 18 last year my first car was a handed down Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 mHawk, but due to the emotional attachment I had with the car I simply couldn't refuse.

The Skoda Octavia VRS Mk1, Jetta 2.0 paired with that DQ200 would be really expensive to maintain. My suggestion is get a car that is easy to drive in urban conditions and has a good after sales support. You can have a lot of fun in 60-80 hp than a expensive 150 hp car (checkout this article on instatagram @therennclub)

My suggestions for you

1. Maruti Suzuki Swift G13B

Its a fantastic engine-gearbox combination and with larger 15 inch tyres it handles beautifully. Fuel efficiency really depends on how drive the car, but do expect double digit figures. Most importantly Maruti's service and running costs are really pocket friendly. And a neatly maintained car with subtle OEM+ mods really appeals to a larger audience

2. Etios Liva 1.5

Really fun to drive and would put a smile on your face, the TRD kit uplifts that plain vanilla styling of the Etios. Toyota service and support is also commendable. But with the Etios, there are a plethora of them as yellow boards in Bangalore.

3. Honda Brio 1.2

This would be my best pick and also, I'm considering this for a city runabout/ beater car. It has to be one of the best handling small hatches and very fuel efficient, Not sure about Honda Service, My uncle used to CR-V and a Brio few years ago and we used to service them at a multi brand service, AUTOMAC and bills were reasonable and he is one of the best in bangalore.

Lastly if you are planning on some aesthetic upgrades like repainting, paint correction, new wheels etc please wait for atleast a year or so or when you are confident enough behind the wheel and then get them done. Doing the same with my Scorpio. Wishing you a 18th birthday in advance

Happy Motoring

Cheers
Cliff
Cliff9091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:44   #94
BHPian

Re: Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?

Well, you remind me of the days of my first job in Bangalore. That's where I started hunting for my first car. It was a 1996/99 Zen VXi purple color. I purchased it for about 1.2 lakhs and spent around 2 lakhs on mods in and out. This way I learned a lot about both myself (my likes and dislikes) as well as cars.

I would suggest you go the same route as well. This way you learn TWO most important factors

1. Your knowledge about machines. Once you start the mods, you will know what you like and what do you don't like. You will understand the inside out of cars. You can understand the limitations of both man and machine.
2. You will become a better driver. A 21-day learning course will only make you a feeler (unfortunately, the majority of the Indian drivers are just feelers for which I don't blame them, 'coz most of them are first-time car buyers or non-enthusiasts). But for you to become a master driver, you should spend more time on the roads. In a couple of years down the line, you will know what kind of driver are you.

These 2 points will help you, later on, to choose the right machine when you are ready to go all in.

Now, coming to your budget and options,
I would suggest you spend around 2.5L - 3L for the machine and save the remaining for all the mods. And go for only petrol.

So given 2.5L to 3L, your options are
1. Maruti Swift AZG 2nd-gen - K12B series
2. Honda Jazz 1st-gen L12B i-VTEC
3. Suzuki Baleno 1st-gen G16B
4. Honda City 1st-gen 1.5 VTEC D15B
5. Suzuki SX4 1.6L (with VVT better)
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 03:31   #95

I'm 30. I got my first car at 24. It was a used Alto K10 (the first gen). And i used it till a month back when i switched to a new Nexon. I'd reflect what GTO said. When you are new to driving, you need to understand your car and "slow" cars are the best way to do it. I put "slow" in quotes because my Alto could barely do 100kmph without feeling dangerous but trust me, the fun starts wayyyy early. From the way you hear the engine rev to the air rushing into the filter, you can notice everything. And you can do all this while at 60kmph... But with its weight and lack of sound deadening, it'll feel glorious. You can even launch from traffic stops with great glee without going into dangerous territory. You want this for fun. Not blind speed which is really not practical these days even in the highways. When you get confident in understanding cars, you'll appreciate the mechanics more. Till then, it'll be wiser to stick to "slow" cars.
Ma5terVain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 08:50   #96
Senior - BHPian

Yep, you need something which is reliable first, should not keep you occupied with repairs, every now and then.

Something which is reliable, preferably low mileage, shouldn't look downright cheap, and spares and service should be affordable.

I have some suggestions from listings in OLX Bangalore.

2013 Nissan Micra Petrol @3.75L - only run 20k. Spares won't be an issue and it's pretty fuel efficient.

2012 Honda Brio Petrol @3.6L - run 44k.

2011 Skoda Rapid Diesel @4.4L - run 47k

2015 Grande i10 Petrol @4.9L - run 40k

2016 Grande i10 Petrol @4.7L - run 31k

2013 Polo Diesel @4.7 - run 58k.

You can bargain hard to get a better deal. And do get the Odo checked at the official service centre.

Another place to look would be our own classifieds.

There is one here: a 2015 Rapid Diesel, run 46k.
Old 3rd February 2022, 10:59   #97

Hey GreasyCarb55,

You are a car enthusiast just like most of us here and you are fond of bikes because you were planning to buy Duke or RR310. Bikers who have just started to ride don't usually go a 600cc bike, do they?

Plus, you will be learning how to drive in a driving school, which is great but for your first time in a car behind the wheel and being an inexperienced driver, do you really want a 140 bhp car as a first car? I would suggest that you buy a 1.0 or 1.2L cars which have decent power and also have a good mileage.

For a 4L budget, my choices will be used cars like AltoK10, Tata Tiago and a Hyundai i10 or i20(If you can find one in the budget).

If you can find a Tata Tiago under 4 lakhs, if would be really a VFM because It has a good sound system, nice interiors and a punchy engine(for the fun you talked about earlier&#128516.

That would be my suggestion and Best of Luck to you to find a good car and Congratulations on your first purchase.
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:20   #98
BHPian

I saw the list and thought there are so many other cars that can be added, like the Cruze diesel or civic, but then i saw its the first car for a 18year old , who is about to learn driving: stay away from anything big and old.

Stick to Maruti, any recent maruti you can find in your budget. You would anyway want to spend on some music system, so go for options like Swift etc which you can get for cheap. I would personally avoid very old cars (12+ years).
Polo mpi/Fabia / vento / rapid : great options, great build, fairly reliable , great after market support don't look old , great to drive, you can find reasonable recent options in used car market.
Toyota / honda : etios, city, vtec , jazz , Brio - can't go wrong with them.

My personal opinion, Dont think what car to buy until you get used to a bit of driving. Go take that driving course, practice a bit with the car available to you, if you then get a feeling that you need your own car, go looking for one.
At under 20, if i were you , i would get a bike for myself and not think about a car until I am old enough to be responsible for a big machine.
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:22   #99
Team-BHP Support

Look no further than a 2010-2015 Ford Figo 1.4 TDCI.

Trust me when I say this - There is no other car south of a BMW 3-Series that handles and drives as well as the Figo, particularly the older gen car.

The accurate steering provides great feedback and you are always aware of what the front wheels are doing. The manual gearbox will allow you to hone your MT driving skills. The diesel engine is frugal and reasonably punchy as well. You could even tune the car for better power and performance.

If you can find a Figo TDCI with around 40k-60k on the ODO for under 4 lakh, snap it up immediately. Resale would be low considering Ford has exited the market, and maintaining these cars can't be hard if you find the right FNG.

If for whatever reason the Figo does not work for you, look at the Etios Liva petrol with the TRD kit. Another fun, light and chuckable car that will be low on maintenance.

Stay away from VWs and Skodas. Do not get a GT TSI even if you come across one, as tempting as it may seem.

All the best!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2022 at 11:43. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:35   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Look no further than a 2010-2015 Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI.
You mean 1.4 tdci? Old gen Figo. It had a great steering but was let down by the mediocre diesel engine. If it had the 100 PS engine the outgoing Figo had, it would have been the best hot hatch, only to be surpassed by the Abarth Punto.

But yes, for a beginner, 68 bhp is perfect though.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 3rd February 2022 at 11:37.
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:43   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
You mean 1.4 tdci? Old gen Figo. It had a great steering but was let down by the mediocre diesel engine. If it had the 100 PS engine the outgoing Figo had, it would have been the best hot hatch, only to be surpassed by the Abarth Punto.

But yes, for a beginner, 68 bhp is perfect though.
Yesssir! Typo - which I shall rectify. Thank you for bringing it to my notice.

If you think the diesel engine was mediocre you should try the wheezy 1.2 petrol.

I've driven the 1.4 diesel Figo and it's not bad at all. Fairly torquey and can be tuned for more torque and drivability. The newer gen is also a nice option, but it just doesn't feel the same. A bit disconnected, if I may say so. Even the outgoing Figo is a good option, to be honest, and if you can find one for 4 lakh it's ideal. But there really isn't anything else like the old Figo when it comes to the "connected" driving experience. Also, 68 bhp (or whatever the figure may be) is more than sufficient for an 18 year old honing his / her skills.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd February 2022 at 11:46. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But there really isn't anything else like the old Figo when it comes to the "connected" driving experience.

Strongly agree.

That car's steering feels perfect. Not just that, within town, the engine feels good.

I am a person who drives in a sedate manner no matter what I drive - Hyundai, Skoda, Tata, BMW, you name it. Some of my friends complain I drive too slow on highways (I find 80kmph very stress free hence I stick to that mostly).

But when behind the wheel of a Figo (old or new), I just can't behave myself.
There have been times I caught myself doing 60 kmph in a basement parking lot in that car.

Last edited by ss212 : 3rd February 2022 at 12:17.
ss212 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 14:57   #103
BHPian

As it will be your first car, definitely buy something modern. Not because the older cars are dated (I'm with you on the beauty of station wagons) but because the newer cars are safer and easier to maintain.

You should narrow your list down to a small car with a responsive engine rather than a big car with a thirsty one. Small car will let you have fun at lower speeds and on crowded roads.

Here are the second hand cars you should go for:
  • VW Polo (GT if you're lucky)
  • Maruti Suzuki Swift
  • Tata Tiago
  • Honda Brio (for the V-TEC)
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hello there, I turn 18 in about 3 weeks and I'm looking for a first car that is also a good enthusiast car, I'm one of the emotional guys when it comes to Automobiles so drive feel/emotional connect is very important.
P.S: I know the basics of driving a car but you wouldn't want me behind the wheel any time soon, Will be taking a 21 Day course from Maruti driving school before I get my car.
My first car was my grandfather's Morris Minor convertible... at 18 it was cool, also most of my friends started disappearing whenever I needed a push start.

I got to drive an old jeep for a few years after that and then a sumo... I can't tell you how many small dings I put on the sumo and the minor, but the jeep... any scratch just blended in.

I recommend a car that's cheap and easy to fix but also with the right safety equipment. It's not of matter of IF you have a small/ big accident, it's a matter of WHEN.

Enjoy getting behind the wheel. We don't say this enough in this country but getting a license to drive should feel more like a privilege than a right. Also, belt up.
Old 4th February 2022, 22:43   #105
BHPian

Hey there,

Very surprised as to how the VW Polo did not make it to your list (expected higher price?).

I'm a 19 year old and I've been driving since around November of 2020. I too decided to go with maruti driving school to get my licence. I did have a good experience here, although the instructor decided on the first day itself that I could drive and paid significantly less attention to me and was doing his own thing

I certainly did know to drive prior to that, but it was limited to short spins around the basement etc.. and driving on public roads definitely took some time to get used to.

After I got my license, I started taking my dad's ertiga to college frequently and really got accustomed to the Bangalore traffic situation. You'll realise that the real learning happens after your driving school course and not during that.

Coming to the point, a couple of months back, we decided to get a second car(used) for me to take to college, with a budget of 5L. Honestly there wasn't much of searching we did, since I was pretty clear that I wanted a hatchback, and ideally a VW Polo since I've always eyed that car. There was a slight possibility of me going for a Ford Figo as well, incase I didn't find a decent polo. I scouted all the online used car websites and didn't find anything too satisfactory, until one fine day, my cousin sent me a link to a white Polo 1.2 MPI Highline (2016 model - 2017 registered) on Truebil. I own the exact same car now. I liked the condition of the car from the pictures itself, and a short test drive in the basement of the mall sealed the deal. Truebil provided a really good experience as well.

Now coming to the car, I'm aware that the 1.2MPI doesn't sound like something that would excite an enthusiast with 74BHP on paper. But trust me, it feels like way more. Coming from an ertiga, this is a dream to drive in small city roads. It has plenty of grunt upto certain speeds, and butter smooth gearshifts. Being a Polo, it is pliant on the highways as well, although the engine does not really like to go over 110kmph. It is no GT TSI in the way it accelerates at lower speeds either. But to be fair it does not seem too slow, and will put up a fair fight. The only minus I can think of is the mileage which seems to be around 9-11kmpl in city traffic. This car was driven around 56k kilometres, has had two previous owners, and honestly, no one can tell. You might wonder why a 2017 regd car has had 2 owners and was driven 56k kms (a bit on the higher side). I did not brush this off, and did plenty of checks on the car to make sure it wasn't a problematic one. Full service history, details of ownership and some of the guarantees that truebil offers made it look like a good buy. Being a highline, it has all the necessary gizmos as well. So far, I absolutely love this car and would certainly recommend it to you. Also the 3cyl petrol sounds really wicked if you push the accelerator down.

Since your budget can extend to 4L, I'm sure you'll find a great polo and maybe even a 1.6MPI (first gen of polo in India). To keep costs down, you might want to service it at an FNG though. Good luck!

Most Viewed