Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 22:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?

Firstly, congrats on getting close to buying your first car.

Everybody has a different thing they like about their cars and usually most of us don't even know what one likes about their cars at the point of buying their first car. Some may like a smooth drive, some others about how it sounds, some others may like how it can go anywhere (4xr4) and some others may simply like how fast it goes.

My own ownership of my first car - taught me many things. Over the years I have made many mistakes - learnt from them. Some learnings:
1. With great power comes great responsibility. So be responsible and at the same time have fun.
2. Learn defensive driving. Else you may pay the price for someone's mistake.
3. A thumb rule for young drivers: If you ever have a double mind of doing any thing (for example an overtake or a fast turn), always ask your self, if a cop sees you do that or your dad sees you do it, will they disapprove of it. As long as the answer is no, go ahead!!!
Old 25th January 2022, 23:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best enthusiast / first car for an 18-year old college student under 4 lakhs?

As a beginner, I would suggest that you go for a low mileage, single handed used, Maruti Swift (petrol) (preferably a few years used model) with a clean record and a clean bodyline. Abuse by the previous owner will be perceptible on the bodyline, tyres, wheel rims and on the driver's seat. The suspension, engine and gearbox will reveal signs of abuse while you test drive.

Despite all we say about Maruti, the car will be easier to navigate, service, maintain and can take a lot of abuse. And you will still find takers readily for your car after 3-5 years of use.

But just beware and ride safe as the older versions have a ZERO, NCAP safety rating.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 06:25   #33
BHPian

As many people here have suggested, Swift is a good first car. Ford Figo is also a good option.

What I didn't see are suggestions for Polo, Vento/Rapid. Along with multiple drive-train options, the aftermarket mod potential as hinted by GreasyCarb55 is huge for these like body-kits, wheels, ICE and interior mods, drive-train mods with wide international product range.
Old 26th January 2022, 08:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Criteria: FTD; Reliable; Easy to fix;

My top 3 picks would be:
1. Honda Brio
2. Maruti Swift
3. Maruti Ritz
Old 26th January 2022, 09:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hello there, I turn 18 in about 3 weeks and I'm looking for a first car that is also a good enthusiast car, I'm one of the emotional guys when it comes to Automobiles so drive feel/emotional connect is very important.
At 18 the best car to get is no car.
Seriously, India is not like USA where one can’t do without a car. Getting on public transport will help build character like no car can.
MadinMumbai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 09:49   #36
BHPian

Not trying to confuse you any further...but a Fiesta (Classic) 1.6. Get your course done, and if you're confident enough with the basics, go for the Fiesta. I started on one.

Whatever you do, don't get a car before you have learnt the basics. Wait it out and test drive.

Neel

P.S.: Be warned, she will spoil you for life with that engine and especially the handling. Good luck!
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 10:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

I'm not very good at this but my pick would be a used Toyota Etios Liva TRD with the 1.5L petrol, or a sedan version with the optional safety pack (frontal airbags and pretensioners). It's 89 bhp, which seems quite low on paper but it's a very light car (<1000kg kerb weight) and reviews seems to indicate that it's quite fun to drive. The reason I'd suggest it is that the model was quite popular in the commercial segment so service should not be a problem. In any case please get something with airbags and ABS or you might regret it a few years down the line when your priorities might change.

I think getting a large car like the Octavia or Corolla might not be a great idea: a direct relative once started on an Octavia TSI (wanted to start on an automatic), the car was too wide and there were a few fender benders which really discouraged said person from driving again for a long time.

You also probably don't want to be spending too much on service or finding spare parts so I would definitely not suggest the Octavia, Baleno (especially Altura) or Jetta.

I'm quite fascinated that you plan to buy your first car the moment you turn 18. I'm probably a little younger than you and I haven't even thought of buying my own car any time soon (when I start driving I'll be practising on the family beater: a three-cylinder normally aspirated VW Polo 1.0).
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 10:43   #38
BHPian

Hi, IMHO you should begin with a modest car to start your driving journey. An used Octavia/City or even a Baleno for that matter may not be a good option. Get a good hatchback like Wagon R/ Celerio or even an alto will be a good choice. You can get a relatively new alto with the budget you have and even spend some cash on few basic Mods. With this you can sharpen your skills and graduate to next level. It will even be a peace of mind due to relatively reliable and cheap ownership.

For fun factor of the driving you can get the excitement and fun from any car as long as you love to drive and for city driving an hatchback can provide the amount of fun you are looking for at this age. You can sell off the alto at relatively good price in 3 years and get a nice powerful car.

Last edited by aneesh2M : 26th January 2022 at 10:46.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:52   #39
BHPian

It’s quite a good problem to have . Here are my suggestions.

1. Swift petrol - Fun to drive, easy to maintain and definitely not over the top.

2. Maruti Zen ( not Estilo) - another fun to drive , easy to maintain classy looking small car. You will have money left for TLC on this car.

3. Honda Brio - no nonsense pocket rocket. Will be a good first car.

4. Hyundai I10 - another practical and easy to live with car , though arguably less fun to drive.

5. Fiat Punto - out of box suggestion which will be high on fun to drive quotient but pain to maintain. Will be at the outer end of your budget.

Do NOT get a Toyota liva / Maruti ritz / Hyundai Sandro etc. you are too young to be saddled with such boring cars

Alternatively You can find a Honda City Type 3 in your budget if you search hard. Or Mitsubishi Cedia if you feeling adventurous.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Hello there, I turn 18 in about 3 weeks and I'm looking for a first car that is also a good enthusiast car, I'm one of the emotional guys when it comes to Automobiles so drive feel/emotional connect is very important.
Hi GreasyCarb55,

For your first car I would say start with something small, preferably a hatchback. I am suggesting this not because you will be a new driver, but rather for a city like Bangalore and also you being a college student, the hatchback will be the perfect body type.

Also start with something that is less than 100bhp. It is like eating a ice-cream cone we all know the most loved part is the solid chunk of chocolate in the bottom(read: fast, fun car), but working your way through to get that chocolate keeps the excitement alive. Weird analogy but I bet you will get it.

My recommendation would be as follows:

* 1st gen Ford Figo TDCi. It is a car that you will comfortably get within your budget with some spare cash for future maintenance as well. It is the perfect size, fun car, gives good mileage, spares are easy to get and relatively cheap. Only downer being the ground clearance.

* 1st gen Suzuki Swift 1.3L petrol. The first gen swift was an epic car to drive, the gearbox, steering feel and feedback, the handling and everything else was amazing about this car. Downsides is the cowl panel and firewall on older cars were prone to rusting, if you look at Swifts be sure to get the underbody and firewall inspected for rust.

* Ford Fiesta 1.6 Petrol. Again this is a fun car to drive. I remember seeing a 1.6S as well on sale in our very own classifieds. Downside is fuel efficiency when you compare to the above 2 cars.

I think these 3 woukd be the ones I look for, all the best with your search and do write an ownership review once you get your car.

Last edited by Shanksta : 26th January 2022 at 10:56.
Old 26th January 2022, 10:56   #41
BHPian

Like most people suggested, go for something small, reliable and easy to maintain. You have an entire life ahead of you to spend time and money on expensive cars! Suggest an Alto 800 to begin with. When you become older, you'll have fun stories to tell your younger generation about how slow your car was!

Until then, hold your horses and enjoy the journey!
Old 26th January 2022, 11:30   #42
BHPian

I would recommend a safe car with adequate power so Maruti swift and Hyundai i10 are off my lists if you are going to be doing highway drives no matter how rare they are.

1. Polo 1.2
2. Tiago / Tigor
3. Old Jazz (if you are able to find one in a good condition)
4. Toyota Liva

Polo will be maintenance heavy, but if you can find an independent garage who does service at 1/3 of the cost then it’s probably the best option.
Old 26th January 2022, 13:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hey Champ - like most of the members have already opined, please remember a quote from a great movie, Spider-Man’s uncle said - Great Power comes with great responsibility! While there’s no doubt you’ll manage the power well, you’ll need to first ensure you gain sufficient driving skills to keep yourself and people around safe. Your safety is of paramount importance to your parents. Please go in for a car that satisfies the power below 100bhp while having a strong build.

You’ll be under a lot of influence to explore speed, power, drift, racing etc in your college days and I’m sure we’ve all crossed that path that you’re currently on. But always bear in mind, your parents are waiting for you back at home and as a responsible citizen for the country, you’ll keep yourself and everyone around you safe!

Enjoy your time with the car you’ll own, but explore safely
Old 26th January 2022, 13:15   #44
BHPian

I am just curious, what made you give up the idea of a motorcycle in favour of a car? For 3 or 4 lakhs, you can either get a great motorcycle or an average car. I'd take the bike.
karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 13:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, what is it with recommending VRS and other 4.7 meter D segment sedans to a newbie driver?

The youngster needs to rake in some experience on road first.

My suggestion -

A pre-owned Swift or even a kwid. Let's take things gradually.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks