Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 01:09   #31
BHPian

Re: Confused between the Maruti S-Cross AT and Honda City CVT

Having driven both extensively I would go for City if I want an Auto, S-Cross if I want a Manual. I haven't driven S cross petrol, Had diesel one for 5 years. If the manual you want to buy then S cross for bad roads, City nowhere comes close to it when roads are in poor shape, If your driving is on good roads mostly, it's city eyes closed with 6 airbags and TCS. In nutshell
Automatic= Honda city
Manual but too many bad roads = S cross
Manual with mostly good roads = Honda city

Engine Honda>S cross
Safety Honda> S cross (6 Airbags, TCS etc)
Interior Honda> S cross
Space Honda> S cross
Comfort Honds> S cross (harder suspension)
Ease of driving/light controls Honda> S cross
S cross almost 8 yrs old with no major changes City is one+ year old
S cross will be updated soon and Maruti gives a good discount at the life cycle end. If you finalise S cross would suggest waiting for a few months for discounts.
drsnt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:04   #32

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. A major twist to this tale - We test drove the S Cross and Honda City yesterday and realized that we preferred the higher stance of the s cross more than the lower seating position of the city. But then we came across this timely post!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5238762 (Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review)

Guess what? We did a TD of the Kushaq 1.0 tsi automatic today and loved every bit of it. Did not imagine that a one litre engine can have such a good feeling.

Sharing a few observations:

What I liked:
  • TC takes a couple of seconds to make the move, but post that it is just so smooth
  • Excellent interiors
  • The thud when closing the door was music to the ears
  • Loved the stock music system with sub woofers
  • Excellent AC
  • Good under-thigh support
  • Rears were more spacious that I expected - can seat 3 people better than in the city or Scross (3 of us sat in the rear to check). The center hump was the lowest among all the cars we test drove
  • The sports mode in the transmission was fun. Also, the creep functionality was so useful in traffic

What I am not so sure about (did not want to call this as dislikes):
  • EPC problems highlighted on the web is a concern, but the sales assistant explained how they rectified the problem now. He went into the details of what the problem was and how they have been able to rectify it. I must say I was impressed by how he explained. Fingers crossed!
  • The engine start button and the indicator stick were wierdly placed. It will take some time to get used to.
  • Would have liked to see electronic seat adjustments.
  • The root horn (I wanted that so badly)

These observations aside, with the budget we had initially and the article above, we started haggling with the manager for the best price possible for the ambition variant. He said he had a couple of 2021 models for which he can provide such discounts but wouldn't be able to do much for 2022 models. And finally he closely matched the price in the article and guess what? We were greedy and asked his best price for the Style variant. We managed to arrive at a sweet pricing spot on the highest variant and booked the vehicle on the SPOT

The anticipated delivery date is the second week of February (since the color we wanted was available). Will keep all posted on how it goes!

Until then, I am sitting tight awaiting the arrival of the 'Emperor'.
RaghavD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:17   #33

I am on same boat have as well. Tool test drive Of Scross , city, hector, both Astor, creta, Nexon, safari,magnite , sonet and seletos. All test drives combined bad road, speed breaker and long express way( Delhi Meerut express way).

1) Scross- Ride was best compared to all the names though city is better in town but overall scross is more versatile. Performance is adequate. Low end responses are quick and very ok till 100+. Dated interior and no wow feeling. Practical car.
2) City CVT- Smooth, fast and comfortable. Wife also loved it. V variant is bang for buck however and 6.2 and none of the seats provided thigh support, headroom at rear limited. Above 100 there is some resonance kind sound on back seat
3) Nexon - Good product but had a crude feeling about power train.
4) Sonet - HTX disel AT was good all rounder, sideways movement and little stiff ride. Overall silent and fast. Waiting period is an issue.
5) Magnite - Everything above average but interior quality is not in the league on any mentioned car. Nissan service is awesome as i already have a Nissan car and they have been great. Wife rejected on interior.
5) Astor- CVT is slow and noisy however interiors are class apart. Thigh support limited. 1.3 is fast and quiet but single digit real world mileage.
6) Hector - Lot of wow factor , feeling of big car however mileage in single digit.
7) Safari- Wow feel but two issues were put off. Knee brushing dashboard. Wind noise post 100 , specially from the wing mirror.

So am stuck and have requested test drive from Kushaq and Slavia when available. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th November 2022 at 20:03. Reason: Typo
Steer-safe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 15:54   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steer-safe View Post

So am stuck and have requested test drive from Kushaq and Slavia when available. Let's see how it goes.
I can totally relate to your observations. Kushaq surprised me despite being a smaller engine. The suspension is slightly stiff but keeps you planted in the car. Waiting period is 4 to 5 weeks in bangalore. If your color is in stock, you can get it in a couple of weeks.

Wish you the best in your purchase!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th November 2022 at 20:04. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 30th January 2022, 20:03   #35
BHPian

In your situation I would suggest you go for Honda city V cvt for the following reasons.
- it is much more safer and stable at high speeds than S cross.
- it has a massive 505 litres of boot space.
- as someone who has owned both Ertiga and City the backspace of city triumphs over anything in the price range.
- even though costly, V CVT is the most VFM variant with all the needed features and gadgets.
- The 1.5 I-VTEC is a gem of an engine and CVT is as smooth as butter with it.

But more than anything take a test drive of both the cars and then do what your heart says you to do.
W16rocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 07:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavD View Post
I must say I was impressed by how he explained. Fingers crossed!
Congrats on the Kushaq

Just out of curiosity what did the SR explain about the EPC issue ? I am unable to find a "proper" explanation from Skoda so would be nice to hear it if you can share.

Last edited by shancz : 31st January 2022 at 07:46. Reason: incom
Old 31st January 2022, 07:57   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Congrats on the Kushaq

Just out of curiosity what did the SR explain about the EPC issue ? I am unable to find a "proper" explanation from Skoda so would be nice to hear it if you can share.
Thanks Shancz. It looked like fuel pump in the car failed due to varying quality of fuel across the country. They did not expect high levels of impurities. In September past year, they rectified it by making the fuel pumps more robust by taking into account all impurity levels. Then I did my own homework on this - and realized that what he said was true. Got hold of the below tweet from Zac.
Attached Thumbnails
Confused between the Maruti S-Cross AT and Honda City CVT-screenshot_20220131075354_chrome.jpg  

RaghavD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 08:18   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They did not expect high levels of impurities.
Then I did my own homework on this - and realized that what he said was true.
I am going to trust your homework more than Skoda on this

Did they recommend any particular Octane/Brand of fuel as preferred ?
Asking because if it was impurities then they would have some brand/outlets which were better than the rest and in that case the 91/95 octane wouldn't be that significant.

Congrats again.
Looking forward to your delivery and ownership experience

Last edited by shancz : 31st January 2022 at 08:22. Reason: added info
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 10:34   #39
BHPian

Between Honda City and S-Cross, I would recommend the Honda City for the smooth CVT, superb engine and big bootspace.

However, you should check if the back seat is wide enough to comfortably seat 3 people on long journeys. If you are planning to have 3 people travel long distances at the back, then you should definitely choose a car which is wide enough and it should be one of your top priorities.
souvikjana83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 15:54   #40
BHPian

Hi there.

I read your thread and also the various comments posted. The brethren here have given you very good advice and all the thoughts that I could think of are already mentioned.

I too was in the same dilemma. I ended up buying the S cross Manual. You can see my ownership here.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ay-petrol.html (Crossing into the grays: Maruti S-Cross Zeta granite gray petrol)

There is one more thread by an esteemed member of this forum on the Honda city cvt. I am sorry I am not able to recall that but he heaped a lot of praise on the Honda city.

My two cents/paise

Scross is much cheaper than Honda city. What you lose in resale, you save upfront buying.

City is a driver’s dream. S cross is nearly 85-90% there in driving pleasure. Cvt city is better to drive than the scross TC if you like to drive with a heavy foot.

City gives you length. S cross gives you height and ground clearance.

If you liked the thud of the door of a European car, you will like the s cross. You must try the 1.5 TSI. It will blow you away.

But I liked the manual version more.

Why I didn’t buy the city- my highway drives are loaded with luggage. The city has a softer rear suspension. I felt it was either bouncing around or getting scraped. Plus finance was also an issue.

Both cars offer a comfortable ownership experience. So take your time. Take plenty of test drives. Try manuals also. You will be able to decide.
knrn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 20:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your valuable inputs. A major twist to this tale - We test drove the S Cross and Honda City yesterday and realized that we preferred the higher stance of the s cross more than the lower seating position of the city. But then we came across this timely post!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5238762 (Maruti S-Cross 1.5L Petrol : Official Review)

Guess what? We did a TD of the Kushaq 1.0 tsi automatic today and loved every bit of it. Did not imagine that a one litre engine can have such a good feeling.

What I liked:
  • TC takes a couple of seconds to make the move, but post that it is just so smooth
  • Excellent interiors
  • Excellent AC
  • Rears were more spacious that I expected - can seat 3 people better than in the city or Scross (3 of us sat in the rear to check). The center hump was the lowest among all the cars we test drove
  • The sports mode in the transmission was fun. Also, the creep functionality was so useful in traffic

• EPC problems highlighted on the web is a concern, but the sales assistant explained how they rectified the problem now. He went into the details of what the problem was and how they have been able to rectify it. I must say I was impressed by how he explained. Fingers crossed!
  • The engine start button and the indicator stick were wierdly placed. It will take some time to get used to.

These observations aside, with the budget we had initially and the article above, we started haggling with the manager for the best price possible for the ambition variant. He said he had a couple of 2021 models for which he can provide such discounts but wouldn't be able to do much for 2022 models. And finally he closely matched the price in the article and guess what? We were greedy and asked his best price for the Style variant. We managed to arrive at a sweet pricing spot on the highest variant and booked the vehicle on the SPOT

The anticipated delivery date is the second week of February (since the color we wanted was available). Will keep all posted on how it goes!

Awesome and many congratulations…
Just wanted to know what deal you got and at what price (if possible to share atleast a ball park number) . What all things are included like accessories, or AMC etc ..
Old 4th February 2022, 21:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskebail View Post
Between current scross and honda city; Honda city is a much better choice.
When looking at options , i did the mistake of test driving Honda city first - any car i touched after felt like a downgrade; the comfort, space, refinement and simplicity of this car is unmatched. We had decided to get the Honda city V CVT, it packs everything needed, 4 airbags, TCS, ESP , 3 point seat belt for all 5 passengers, connected car tech (good to have for things like find my car , geo fence and remote AC control/honk ) and other must have features.
The base V CVT variant pretty much has everything top end scross can offer feature wise. When it comes to engine + gearbox, honda wins effortlessly !

The NVH levels are great at city speeds, on highway i am sure the tyre noise will be there in any car in this price range. If you drive aggressively at higher revs, you can expect to hear engine noise in the Honda city cabin; engine sounds really nice though.
I never liked how scross looks, but I avoided the 1.5L+4speed TC lineup of Maruti because of that powertrain and build quality, 4 speed is adequate , but not the best.

Finally we booked Kushaq Ambition AT , we ditched Honda city because of low GC (I may need to take the car on some bad roads occassionally , i want to be able to drive through with ease ) , ingress and egress is a bit of a task for 6fter - the car has everything else spot on !

Good choice bro 😎!!
It seems UVs are clear choice considering Indian road conditions.. So consumers are looking for a vehicle which offers a good GC, better tyres and suspensions to handle these roads.
Old 4th February 2022, 22:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaus2002 View Post
Awesome and many congratulations…
Just wanted to know what deal you got and at what price (if possible to share atleast a ball park number) . What all things are included like accessories, or AMC etc ..
Thanks Kaus2002. We got the Style automatic version with optional bumper to bumper insurance and optional 4 year skoda maintenance package at a little above 19.
Old 4th February 2022, 23:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kaus2002. We got the Style automatic version with optional bumper to bumper insurance and optional 4 year skoda maintenance package at a little above 19.
Thanks for your response.
Good Choice!!

Top model was a bit beyond my budget, so I booked Ambition AT around 16 in Dec 2021.
I got it delivered in Mid Jan'22 and I am loving the product so far.

I am also planning to purchase 5-6th year extended warranty at 30K, this was suggested to me by an ex-skoda owner. As spare parts of this OEM are pretty expensive and we may have to face such problem towards the later life of the vehicle. In the extended warranty Electricals, Engine, Gear box and transmission assembly will be covered. These are the expensive parts few of them are not localized yet.
Let me know what you think about it.
Kaus2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 00:48   #45
BHPian

Quote:

What I liked:
  • Excellent interiors
  • Excellent AC

Congratulations.

Wish you happy and safe miles ahead.

I came here to share my experience with S-Cross but you have already chosen something I would myself choose 2022.

Best,
RaviCar
RaviCar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks