Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 18:14   #31
BHPian

Re: Need good recommendations to replace Tjet and Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Family needs

We are a family of 5. 2 senior 70+ parents and a tall teenager. Usually we 3 travel most of the time and on some highway trips all 5 of us travel. So need decent boot space.

Budget range
Max upto 15 L on road.

So guys pls help. While I am in no hurry but want to start now as prices have been increasing every year.
Hello SSD2122,
While 15L today seems good amount, it is good for sub compact SUVs only. Since your running doesn't seem much, I would suggest you following petrol automatics.

Kiger 1 litre RXZ turbo CVT
This car is spacious inside for 12L on road Pune price. It will definitely give you minimum 10-11 kmpl mileage in city and 14-15 kmpl on highway. It will give you 405 litre boot space too. CVT transmission is reliable for long term.

Ertiga ZXI AT / XL6 Zeta AT
For both these cars, you get Maruti fuss free ownership, 6 speed reliable torque converter AT and you may occasionally fold full last row in Ertiga to increase boot space and 1 seat in last row in XL6 for the same purpose when you travel together. I think in 15L budget, this is the best option.

Verna SX IVT
This is CVT petrol automatic, so should be reliable for long term and efficient in mileage. Prices for this variant have not increased substantially in past 2 years, so well within your budget. Cramped rear seats is a bit downer but again tall people from family should occupy front seats to address that issue. You may go through this thread which quite impressed me.
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/my-hyu...6000-km-update

Sonet HTX diesel AT
You will get convenience of 6 speed torque converter AT with diesel means good mileage. Boot space is also decent at 392 L. Only disadvantage is cramped rear seats leg room. If you ask your son to always occupy front seat, the problem may be solved partially.

Brezza 6 speed torque converter AT
You may wait a bit for its launch. It may solve your needs.

Only if you are ready to increase budget to 20L, l would recommend Seltos HTX diesel AT or Seltos HTX IVT. Same with Creta SX diesel AT or Creta SX IVT. For both of them, GNCAP 3 star rating is a downer but Kia / Hyundai should be reliable for long term.
PS - Automatic is a need of time and long term boon. Traffic situation will only worsen each passing day. So please don't compromise on it.
CarWorld is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 19:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Family needs

We are a family of 5. 2 senior 70+ parents and a tall teenager. Usually we 3 travel most of the time and on some highway trips all 5 of us travel. So need decent boot space.

Budget range
Max upto 15 L on road.
Why not electric ? ( Tigor EV / Nexon EV). It may save you a lot of money on fuel . You can also get a combination of vehicles . Eg- Tigor EV + Renault Triber (Pre-loved maybe ) .

A petrol Car for long runs and an EV for daily commute. . Best of both worlds .

Or

Why not wait for the new Scorpio and give it a chance . The spy shots show how spacious it is ( as a 5 seater only ) .

PS-This is my first comment on a Team BHP thread and i hope i haven't made any mistakes

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th May 2022 at 17:14. Reason: Please quote only relevant sections of the post, for easy readability.
Hawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 06:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWorld View Post
Hello SSD2122,
While 15L today seems good amount, it is good for sub compact SUVs only. Since your running doesn't seem much, I would suggest you following petrol automatics.

Kiger 1 litre RXZ turbo CVT
Ertiga ZXI AT / XL6 Zeta AT
Verna SX IVT
Sonet HTX diesel AT
Brezza 6 speed torque converter AT
Thanks for the detailed post.

Coming to my requirements, Kiger, Ertiga, XL6 engines are a let down as compared to my current drive - Tjet.

Kiger - does not meet most of what I desire.

Ertiga, XL6 - makes a strong case on most points except engine, safety / build quality.

Verna SX IVT - difficult for 5 ppl. Will do a compare with Honda City VX CVT.

Sonet HTX diesel AT - really loved the design. Safety concern and can't fathom cost as compared to its size. Not for 5 ppl.

Brezza TC AT - need to check out when launched.

I have always been a manual guy and did not find driving ATs engaging. Still guess that's what I have to adapt to. Not giving up manual completely though.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 14:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Coming to my requirements, Kiger, Ertiga, XL6 engines are a let down as compared to my current drive - Tjet.
Agreed. Linea Tjet is indeed a difficult car to replace considering the build quality and driving pleasure it provides. You may look for Slavia / Virtus / Kushaq / Taigun manual variants. Beyond them, you have Harrier, XUV 700, Hector and similar options depending on your choice and budget. All the best for your search

Last edited by bblost : 16th May 2022 at 18:11. Reason: fixed tag.
Old 16th May 2022, 16:25   #35
BHPian

Re: An eternal dilemma: What new or used car for 15-lakh rupees?

SSD2122, please stay away from Ertiga and XL6 (assuming XL6 as a good looking feature loaded Ertiga).

I have already posted in some thread that my wife's Ertiga cab had an accident and posted the photograph also in the same post. It has very filmsy structure. Just a bang on 3 wheeler tempo and the front portion was fine. Occupants were lucky enough didn't have any injury.

Indian roads are full of lunatics. Hence we need to have a sturdy car as minimum.

I also have similar requirements, only difference is my travels are majorly associated with highway run (notorious NH48 in Gurgaon) and I frequently travel 300-600 km to nearby states and mountain roads, truck loads etc.

I am thinking of Nissan Kicks 1.3 XV premium CVT. But there are many questions around it. Yet to have the TD.

By the way, Automatics are also fun, if we know the tricks and make use of it when required. Had experienced such things during my recent drive in Ignis AMT in hills.

However, you deserve a better AT. The same 6 speed TC AT of Ertiga/ XL6 is expected in Brezza/ S-cross (though only speculation untill the newer models/ facelifts/ updates are released).

It seems older 4 speed TC of Brezza / S-cross are better than this newer 6 speed TC AT during some demanding situations.

How about Creta 1.4 GDI with DCT? Read it comes with temperature warning and interlocking functions nowadays? The Kia Seltos scraps the front Air-fin/ dam when they enter our society entrance ramps and side pillow shaped speed breakers. But you can check if high GC is not essential. Budget will be almost 18-20 lakhs!!

15 Lakhs budget is difficult if I need good engine performance and good AT, in a safe car! Since your requirements are mostly city runs, can check the skoda/ VW 1.0 cars with TC AT. Perhaps more reliable than 1.5 DSG for these brands.

Last edited by RijuC : 16th May 2022 at 16:28.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 16:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Dear fellow bhpians,
Budget range
Max upto 15 L on road.

So guys pls help. While I am in no hurry but want to start now as prices have been increasing every year.
Hi @SSD2122, looking at your requirements, my suggestions would be to go for a used Innova - will be fuss free with enough space, but mileage may take a hit. Also, for <15L, you may need to look for pre-2016 versions I think

You could also get the SCROSS Alpha Auto - will tick all your boxes and is a great vehicle as per many on this forum.

Or wait for the upgraded Brezza which is round the corner?

XUV300 is a another option but consider the limited boot space. Plus it has great safety ratings

I am guessing Ertiga/XL6 are not going to cut it as it may feel like a downgrade as you mentioned.
akannath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 17:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
Hi @SSD2122, looking at your requirements, my suggestions would be to go for a used Innova - will be fuss free with enough space, but mileage may take a hit. Also, for <15L, you may need to look for pre-2016 versions I think

You could also get the SCROSS Alpha Auto - will tick all your boxes and is a great vehicle as per many on this forum.

Or wait for the upgraded Brezza which is round the corner?

XUV300 is a another option but consider the limited boot space. Plus it has great safety ratings

I am guessing Ertiga/XL6 are not going to cut it as it may feel like a downgrade as you mentioned.
Thanks akannath.
SCross - yes it is a sensible option and will check it out.
Preowned Innova - a quick search showed that it is hard to get good ones below 15L.
Ertiga / XL6 - going by reports the newer engine looks to be even less on power.
XUV 300 - yes on my list but will have to compromise on boot space though.
Old 16th May 2022, 18:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
SSD2122, please stay away from Ertiga and XL6 (assuming XL6 as a good looking feature loaded Ertiga)......

15 Lakhs budget is difficult if I need good engine performance and good AT, in a safe car! Since your requirements are mostly city runs, can check the skoda/ VW 1.0 cars with TC AT. Perhaps more reliable than 1.5 DSG for these brands.
Thanks RijuC. I concur on all your points.

If only Suzuki would have improved on the safety aspects and the engine for Ertiga / XL6, I would have immediately booked one.

Creta - again no idea on safety parameters. Else base and mid variants look good.

Last point on the skoda / VW 1.0L with TC AT - will definitely consider. TC seems to be more reliable.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 07:16   #39

Please take a look at the Nissan Magnite XV Premium CVT.
Good leg space and decent performance (more when you activate sports mode).

MOD NOTE : Please punctuate where ever required. Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th May 2022 at 07:52. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 11th June 2022, 11:15   #40
BHPian

Having owned a Fiat Palio Stile Multijet for a decade tough to get a replacement however I got a Suzuki Baleno Delta CVT in 2018 pretty happy with the easy driving in Bangalore city traffic

Tata Nexon AMT and Mahindra XUV 300 AT are the only 5 Star safety SUV below 15 lacs price range

Honda Amaze CVT sedan is good value for money within 15 Lacs as new Honda City CVT automatic shall cross 15 lacs rest all other sedans are AT or DSG

Quote:
Budget range
Max upto 15 L on road.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th November 2022 at 17:29. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 00:54   #41
BHPian

Hello everyone,
First of all a big thank you to all for your contributions and making this forum interesting & informative always ! I have been an avid reader of team bhp since 2014 and finally a newbie here.

(Request Mods to merge the post in relevant thread if required)

Little background about My Garage :

Maruti Scross (2015 1.3MJD) with 172K+ on the ODO. Being our (me & my wife) first car it is very close to our hearts and it has never disappointed us till date.

Honda Civic (10th Gen CVT) This car has always been our love and luckily we proudly own one. With 32K+ on the ODO , it is the current daily commuter.

Situation : I am in the market for a replacement of S-Cross ( very difficult to find ) and the budget is restricted to 15~16 Lacs, since it will be purchased through the corporate lease program. The car will be used for daily office commute (preferably automatic) and occasional roadtrips.

I am currently revisting all team bhp reviews and yet to checkout any car in metal.

Considerations : VW Virtus , Taigun | Skoda Slavia , Kushaq | Honda City ( MMC is around the corner)

With no offense to anyone, we aren't considering Vitara/HyRyder basis the fact that it doesn't really feel an upgrade to S-Cross and Korean Siblings are not considered as they are already too many on the road.

Looking forward for suggestions and feedback on my query
Regards
Old 29th November 2022, 14:35   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead23 View Post
Situation : I am in the market for a replacement of S-Cross ( very difficult to find ) and the budget is restricted to 15~16 Lacs, since it will be purchased through the corporate lease program. The car will be used for daily office commute (preferably automatic) and occasional roadtrips.

Considerations : VW Virtus , Taigun | Skoda Slavia , Kushaq | Honda City ( MMC is around the corner)
It all boils down to your priorities IMO.

Fun to drive: Slavia 1.5Manual / Slavia or Virtus 1.0 AT - whichever one appeals to your eyes more since underneath they're the same. If you see good roads, this could be the pick as the boot space is more than the Kushaq/Taigun

Little less fun to drive but with perks of ground clearance, better ingress, practicality (such as foldable seats, smaller external dimensions for city parking, etc.) : Kushaq 1.5 Manual / Kushaq or Taigun 1.0 AT - whichever one appeals to you more aesthetically.

Peace of mind : Honda City. However, given you already have the bigger brother Civic, the city dynamics and experience may feel very similar so could be better exploring one of the European twins for a change.
Old 22nd June 2023, 17:05   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Peace of mind : Honda City. However, given you already have the bigger brother Civic, the city dynamics and experience may feel very similar so could be better exploring one of the European twins for a change.
Should I buy used 4th gen Honda City or used 5th Gen Honda City? Given the E20 and BS6 norms, not sure if older models will be worth it.
Old 22nd June 2023, 17:52   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampinfinity View Post
Should I buy used 4th gen Honda City or used 5th Gen Honda City? Given the E20 and BS6 norms, not sure if older models will be worth it.
Not sure on E20 norms on the City, but if you can afford the newer gen - its always better to get that as it will stay 'modern' for longer and thus you may be inclined to hold on to it for that much more as compared to outgoing gen which may begin to feel dated quicker.
Also - the newer City is a good upgrade in terms of build, practicality, etc.
Old 23rd June 2023, 03:02   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Not sure on E20 norms on the City, but if you can afford the newer gen - its always better to get that as it will stay 'modern' for longer and thus you may be inclined to hold on to it for that much more as compared to outgoing gen which may begin to feel dated quicker.
Also - the newer City is a good upgrade in terms of build, practicality, etc.
Yeah I can buy the new one. Just concerned about its build quality. Many reports here on the forum about its light sheet metal.

Most Viewed