Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Change from a City to a Taigun for a senior citizen? Please read the first post before selection.
Keep the Honda City 89 32.96%
Change to the VW Taigun 167 61.85%
Any other choice 14 5.19%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 20:25   #16
BHPian

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Completely endorse what GTO says, get the grand ole man the bakery along with the baker.
Afterall you live only once.
Regards.
Vinod_nair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 23:44   #17
BHPian

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Always feels nice to hear about a passionate 78 year old wanting his Taigun...I would echo what others said, give him the VW which he wants but make sure they are in mint condition or else troubles will lie ahead. I take a bow and wish him happy motoring.
sheelRP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 06:15   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not get him a used T-Roc? I see 2020 and 2021 cars come up routinely on OLX at around 20 lakhs. Better engine (1.5 TSI), all the safety features you would want, much better build that would not creak like the Taigun, True Euro ride and driving pleasure etc. Plus the paint quality on the T-ROCs is probably the best I have seen in the segment and two segments higher.
84.monsoon is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 08:44   #19
BHPian

Voted for Taigun. First and foremost, massive respect for your dad on having the enthusiasm to drive at this age - something I personally would want to do when I am 78. I’d say just for this spirit of his he should be able to get whatever car he wants, no doubt VAG are the best in that department. Secondly, I feel the older generation were so restricted by the license raj in their day that they couldn’t get anything fun despite having the means. He should have whatever he likes.
hdman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 08:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

You mentioned that car buying decisions in your family is heart over head mostly. While I agree that low slung sedan like city doesn't offer comfortable ingress for elderly, I am wondering why it was chosen in the first place. Please do thorough test drive of the potential car your dad wants to buy to make sure his needs are met along with what his heart desires. I won't have recommended city for elderly so voting for exchange for any other taller car (sub compact or compact SUV) as per your dad's preference. But please check it out thoroughly.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Voted for “Change to the Taigun”.

He’s a 78 year old petrol-head from what you describe. I can guarantee that if you continue with the Honda City, five years from now both him and you will regret not getting the Taigun. Mostly because it has been in his head for so long that it’s become an emotional idea. And no logical or rational reason would remove that idea from his mind. As you said it’s heart over head.

The memories he will have of enjoying driving that car will be far more valuable than whatever the price difference is.

Last edited by lordrayden : 27th April 2022 at 10:39.
lordrayden is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:38   #22
BHPian

Voted for Taigun. When I am 78, if I am still able to drive and my son supports me to get the car I want, I'd love him more
DheerajNK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
The opportunity has now presented itself where the owner of a Dec 2021 VW Taigun 1.0 Comfortline Automatic wants to sell their 1,500 km driven car. I will be going with my father to see the car today.
There is no such Variant. It's either Highline AT or Topline AT. Comfortline is the base model of Taigun available only with a MT. Please recheck.
FrAgile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 10:51   #24
BHPian

Well if he's keen on getting the wheels his heart loves, go for it. Let him be merry and not regret later on letting go of a chance.
subie_socal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:50   #25
RGK
Senior - BHPian

"Change to the VW Taigun"...

May he live to be so old that his driving excites people. Happy and safe motoring.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 11:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Be careful when buying such a low run new car. Most of the times they are lemons that the owner realised only after taking delivery and after multiple visits to the service center couldn't take care of. While the owner might be happy to just get the car off his hands any way possible, given the state of the used car market right now, brokers will be fighting to step in and sell these cars at rates that are barely any less than new.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 12:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

He should go with Taigun, if the car is all fine in your checks. Your dad might have compromised one or many things in his life for others happiness, so it’s definitely time for him to pick what he wants.
And he will definitely feel more young at heart with VW dynamics over City.
Old 27th April 2022, 12:58   #28
BHPian

I would also second most of the opinions. Let him live his dreams and go for the Taigun!!
Old 27th April 2022, 13:16   #29
BHPian

Go for the Taigun!!

My dad (just 53 years old) daily drives a petrol Innova 2.7 automatic. He loves driving - earlier he used to drive the Innova 2.5 diesel. On weekends / night drives, he enjoys taking the cars sitting at home.

During his enthusiast age (still is but now he has started thinking practically), he also bought a Chevy Optra, City ZX Vtec 2006, Ford Ecosport Petrol 2019, VW Vento Petrol 2011 and City ZX iVtec 2021 (5th gen) for fun too, but later those were driven by me / the chauffeur / my mother or my sister.

Post lockdown, it was decided to remove the driver as we didn't really need one with everything being online and it wasn't a good idea to have him around and not go anywhere. While we were keeping the Innova 2.7 '19 for him and Corolla 1.8 '19 as it's a very fine subtle D segment sedan which I drive, my mom wanted a manual car because she finds automatics boring and doesn't understand the idea of it (she knows how it drives though).

My dad test drove the Kia Seltos 1.5 Petrol, 1.4 Petrol, Skoda Kushaq 1.0 and VW Taigun 1.0 (Also thought of the Jeep Compass 1.4 base spec manual)

He was very much inclined towards the 1.5 of the Seltos because of the budget and HTK+ offered everything we needed. We almost finalised that but shortly after that - He drove the Taigun and he was taken away. Before this, I had never seen him redline a cars engine so much (it was a test-drive vehicle).

He got a good deal for our 12,000 kms run Honda City 5th Gen VX MT and we got the Taigun right away. The idea was to get a compact SUV / cross-over which is solidly built, good on mileage (it's decent) and fun to drive at the same time.

He loves the car but only complains that the AC is not effective.

Last edited by adigup : 27th April 2022 at 13:21. Reason: added a couple of points
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:42   #30
BHPian

Newtown, have you thought about selling the city, letting your GT go to your father and upgrading to another German?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks