Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Change from a City to a Taigun for a senior citizen? Please read the first post before selection.
Keep the Honda City 89 32.96%
Change to the VW Taigun 167 61.85%
Any other choice 14 5.19%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 13:52   #31
BHPian

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Be careful when buying such a low run new car. Most of the times they are lemons
I never really did think of this. In any case this one example was out of question. If I do get another used one, a PPI would be absolutely a must.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:59   #32
BHPian

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am wondering why it was chosen in the first place..
Very true. A medium sized SUV was booked and then cancelled. At the time he thought they were too large for him and it would be difficult to get in and out of. That was a Kia Seltos.

The Taigun is perhaps lower than the Seltos/Creta and consequently he perhaps now feels that this height is correct (kind of a WagonR ingress and egress).

It helps that I have a Taigun 1.5 in which we drive around on long trips frequently. That's another thing. If he does plan to go ahead with the Taigun, we will have 2 of them!
Old 27th April 2022, 14:26   #33
BHPian

An enthusiast at 78, you don't get to see them everyday. If he can afford, let him have his way.
Old 27th April 2022, 15:26   #34

He is 78 , probably a mode in life where he wants to purchase luxury defined by him , your duty would be to support him no matter how irrational even if one might have to stretch a bit financially , our job is just to say "OKAY Good Choice "
Old 27th April 2022, 15:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
he is very excited to have a higher and a slightly larger car that is easier to get in and out of.
Others have already remarked on the head vs. heart nature of this decision but please let him spend time with your Taigun or a TD vehicle and make sure that the car is indeed what he wants.

The error here was buying the City without realizing that it might be too small/hard to get in and out of. You don't want to repeat that mistake with some other negative aspect of the Taigun that he discovers later.

Also, why not swap within the family and take the City for your use? That would be the financially sound option and perhaps not even that much of a sacrifice for you, depending on how you feel about the two cars!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The error here was buying the City without realizing that it might be too small/hard to get in and out of. You don't want to repeat that mistake with some other negative aspect of the Taigun that he discovers later.

Also, why not swap within the family and take the City for your use? That would be the financially sound option and perhaps not even that much of a sacrifice for you, depending on how you feel about the two cars!
IMHO, this is a very practical and sensible suggestion. While You are looking for an alternative, swapping existing cars and letting Your Dad see the practical side of City Vs Taigun is a wise option.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 16:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...A week before the lockdown in March 2020, he bought a 2020 Honda City... The car is now at 5,500 kms only...

He has been wanting a Taigun ever since its launch...
This might be a little against the grain of the thread in general and comes with due respect.

I wouldn't take age alone to conclude that a person might be clear about what they want, and even more so about what suits them. Since you also indicated that finances are not really and issue, the question to ask might be:
What is likely to suit him the most, amongst all affordable choices?

It might be prudent to look at all cars and consider upcoming launches so that another few thousand kms later your dad isn't in a situation of being unhappy with the purchase, and might not feel at ease expressing that once again. It might also be a good idea to also consider how the back seat works for him for the latter part of the car's life, in case he decides to be driven than drive himself.

By looking at other choices too, some of which might cost even cost a bit more, he might be happy for longer thereby making it a better financial decision. There might be a chance that he likes one which costs more but reluctant to state it.

I'd suggest a lot of test drives - longer ones for the short listed ones - to arrive at the surer decision for the right car. The right car for longer often works out cheaper than a cheaper car changed sooner - and has happier miles with it

This Guide to test drives might help a bit.

Last edited by Poitive : 27th April 2022 at 17:13. Reason: Refinement.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 17:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks - I write this to seek your advice.

My father who is 78, is an avid driver. A week before the lockdown in March 2020, he bought a 2020 Honda City top of the line ZX CVT. The car is now at 5,500 kms only and in showroom condition save a little mark on the rear bumper.

He has been wanting a Taigun ever since its launch.
Hello Newtown,

I will ask you to let go of rationale and logic, and give your ageing father what he desires. My father suddenly passed away a little over a year ago at comparitively young 69. I had great desire to buy him a chauffer driven car, as he once had during his heyday, but I will never be able to fullfill this wish of mine.
With gods grace this man is almost 80 and is healthy enough to drive. Give him what he wants : ).

Take care.
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 17:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAgile View Post
There is no such Variant. It's either Highline AT or Topline AT. Comfortline is the base model of Taigun available only with a MT. Please recheck.
That is correct and it was a Highline AT that we saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
"Change to the VW Taigun"...

May he live to be so old that his driving excites people. Happy and safe motoring.
Thank you for your kind words. He is just a power addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
Newtown, have you thought about selling the city, letting your GT go to your father and upgrading to another German?
I haven't but that would not be something I can do immediately. Maybe a year down the line this would be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShah View Post
our job is just to say "OKAY Good Choice "
Agreed Mr Shah. And I have done just that. Only thing i have said is get a better variant and not something that has equipment that his previous 15 year old car also had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
IMHO, this is a very practical and sensible suggestion. While You are looking for an alternative, swapping existing cars and letting Your Dad see the practical side of City Vs Taigun is a wise option.

What you mentioned above is exactly what has got us to this stage
While I am perfectly fine to daily drive the City, he is NOT ok to do the same on the Taigun. And I cannot bend his principles and values easily! Otherwise this would be most ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

I'd suggest a lot of test drives - longer ones for the short listed ones - to arrive at the surer decision for the right car. The right car for longer often works out cheaper than a cheaper car changed sooner - and has happier miles with it
Yes there would be other/better, perhaps more suitable options that show up. A CBU/CKD won't make the cut. He has been bitten before by that and won't do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Hello Newtown,

I will ask you to let go of rationale and logic, and give your ageing father what he desires. My father suddenly passed away a little over a year ago at comparitively young 69. I had great desire to buy him a chauffer driven car, as he once had during his heyday, but I will never be able to fullfill this wish of mine.

Take care.
I am really sorry for your loss. What you say is on point.
Old 27th April 2022, 18:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally I think it is unwise to sell a top of the line Honda City that is almost brand new and get a Taigun with lesser creature comforts. I feel the loss of 4 air bags, no LEDs at all, no start stop, no auto lighting are some of the biggest misses of the Comfortline.
If deciding to buy another car, do consider retaining the City for a few weeks - just in case your father should feel that the City was better after all.

Quote:
Back from taking a look at the car... The car is certainly new but was lying in neglect.
Could it be because they consider that car as a bad omen in some way?
Old 27th April 2022, 19:03   #41
BHPian

If he's keen on the Taigun, why not take a look at the T-Roc, the Tiguan and the Karoq too?

They'll be slightly more aged, hence even cheaper in the market. Also, you're assured of much faster engines than the 1.0 TSI.

Being a CBU, they should also be much better built than the Taigun / Kushaq too.
Kumaran93R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 19:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It helps that I have a Taigun 1.5 in which we drive around on long trips frequently. That's another thing. If he does plan to go ahead with the Taigun, we will have 2 of them!
Maybe look at the Kushaq which is essentially a Taigun in a different bodyshell to avoid seeing 2 Taiguns parked in the house.

Do factor in the reliability quotient and aftersales service of a VW group product either way. My old doctor neighbour got sick of his German machines leaving him stranded in the middle of city or at home a few times he's replaced them with a Carnival for family runs and a City for city errands.
Old 27th April 2022, 22:08   #43
BHPian

I have voted to get the taigun, My logic and reasoning irrespective of what a car guy may think say do feel period, putting myself in the shoes and in a similar situation. If my dad my sole reason of existence in this precarious world that we live in wants to buy a car that he so desires and would make him happy to the core of his heart at 78 years old, i would
Move heaven and earth for that man and get him that car if its within my grasp!
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:

It was bought with ease of use in mind to drive an automatic in the city. But it seems the owner is just not comfortable with the automatic and is soon to buy the manual version.

This sounds very strange to me, please get the vehicle thoroughly verified at a good FNG + service reports from ASC.
Old 27th April 2022, 22:33   #45
BHPian

My granny stopped climbing stairs after she moved to an apartment, my wife’s Uncle lives in a single storey building and now can’t get down one stair without support. Many older folks in my family can’t sit down for dinner as they are used to dining tables.

I would say, if your father loves to drive at this age, buy him a Civic and he will stay young for years to come

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks