Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Change from a City to a Taigun for a senior citizen? Please read the first post before selection.
Keep the Honda City 89 32.96%
Change to the VW Taigun 167 61.85%
Any other choice 14 5.19%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 23:02   #46
BHPian

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Like majority, I too have voted go for VW Taigun. (If financial hit is not big on radar)

Give old man what he desires at this age.
Old 28th April 2022, 07:02   #47
BHPian

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Since you've mentioned you already have a Taigun, why not get a Kushaq this time? The monte carlo variant will be out soon and would have a digital instrument cluster as well as ventilated seats.
Old 28th April 2022, 16:28   #48
BHPian

Buy him a higher variant of Taigun, if you can. Or get him the one he wants. Don't worry too much about the money, unless you are really really pressed for it.
Keep the City if you may, or sell it out. Parents have to be pampered, especially when they are old.
Children should never be - just give them what is adequate or even lesser. It should be the call of the Head.
With parents, it should be that of the Heart. Unfortunately, we mostly do the reverse.

The only poll in TBHP where I had no doubts whatsoever about which one to vote for and the only one in which I don't care what car and what manufacturer it is.

Voted for Taigun.
Buy it today I would say.

Last edited by VinsWagen : 28th April 2022 at 16:31. Reason: Corrected the product name
VinsWagen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 02:51   #49

You get one father. You are lucky his desire is alive and that he is hail and hearty. Enjoy in his pleasure. Unless you think the value of things he has done for you all his life is less than the value of the car.
Shyam89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 09:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

I understand the emotions the fellow BHPians are sharing and no offence to anyone's comments. But I'm sure the OP is well aware about this and is here for factual, practical advise from the fellows and not another lecture on moral science. So can we please be rational and stick to the facts while sharing our thoughts.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd May 2022 at 09:18.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 16:18   #51
BHPian

Hello T-BHP family. I’d like to update all of you on what transpired in the months following the last posts on this thread.

Through the months of May, June & July, I made my best effort to get the City sold. Eventually I had to accept reality that the market was not willing to pay top moolah for a 4th generation City despite it having less than 6,000 km on the odometer.

While it did not take that long to gauge what price the car would fetch, what did take longer was arriving at a decision on the car to replace it. My dad has always been a sedan person and has never liked the SUV and off roader shapes. Which is why I was flummoxed when he had said he like the Taigun and wants it so that he does not have to sit into a car too low.

Over the months that went by, I figured out that it was the Digital Dash and the Infotainment Screen that he was really after. He is quite a gadget freak even at this age and take a lot of interest and effort in learning something new.

I also felt that my dad was left a little disappointed by the Honda City's Infotainment display quality and graphics. Even though one could project their Android auto to the screen, the quality was pedestrian. He loves maps (his career involved a lot of maps) and over the years I have often seen him just sitting with them on a crisp screen. Most often that is what he does with his iPad.

Just to make things more complex, he started test driving a multitude of cars - Sonet, Venue, went for the Grand Vitara launch, also drove the Brezza. Somehow none of them caught his fancy.

Late July, we happened to be at the VW Showroom to pick up a document while passing by. The Taigun and Virtus were both on the display floor. So decided to adjust the height of the seat of both cars and see how easy/hard ingress and egress was.

What we realized was that Virtus driver seat could be adjusted to a position that would be easier on the knees to get in and out off. Despite the seat being adjusted to a tall height, it did not impede head room. To add, the passenger seat of the Virtus also came with height adjustment which would really help my mum as well.

Not long after the visit to the showroom, my parents were very happy to welcome home, a Virtus 1.0 Topline in Cherry Red. It has been an interesting 5 – 6 weeks with the car and needless to say my parents are enjoying it! I wish to thank all of you that put your thoughts on this thread in different ways. Some of those struck a chord and enabled this change.
Newtown is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 16:54   #52
BHPian

i would say based on my Honda city ownership: Change to Taigun

1.Easy ingress and egress for elderly folks
2. Visibility is nice, SUV so car is more forgiving on potholes as compared to city
3. Size is compact for city handling/parking
4. Excellent drivability

You will get lot of blessing from your father.
Old 20th September 2022, 17:26   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
i would say based on my Honda city ownership: Change to Taigun
Looks like you missed post #51. It;s a Virtus, and home !
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 18:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
Not long after the visit to the showroom, my parents were very happy to welcome home, a Virtus 1.0 Topline in Cherry Red. It has been an interesting 5 – 6 weeks with the car and needless to say my parents are enjoying it!
Congratulations on the Virtus! So, so happy to read this, God bless your parents and may they be happy and healthy always.

Please keep in mind, you will never walk this way again. Considering the age of your Father (parents), please indulge in his/their whims and fancies as long as you can. Their happiness is all that’s important, cars or anything else can come and go. The smile you put on their faces and happiness you give them is priceless!

We can never give them what they have given us in every which way but if you can make them feel in their hearts that their Son is doing everything for their happiness, you have succeeded in your life.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 19:19   #55
BHPian

Re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looks like you missed post #51. It;s a Virtus, and home !
Yes indeed missed that. Congratulations and I wish you and your father fulfilling and happy miles a head with your virtual.
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 12:04   #56
BHPian

Re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations on the Virtus! So, so happy to read this, God bless your parents and may they be happy and healthy always.
Thank you for your kind words. I echo your thoughts on being able to do everything possible to put a smile on the face of our parents. Being middle aged now and looking back at the things that they did to make the best available to me is something I won't be able to repay back.

I will continue with this thread updating about how the Virtus is faring, but right off the bat would like to narrate something interesting.

Day 2 of car ownership, the driver side door button to lock/unlock the door stopped working. It worked perfectly well from the key fob, worked fine for the passenger door and also worked the same way with the spare key fob. It was only the driver side door button that refused to do anything.

The car had to be taken for its mandatory 1st inspection which I did a few days back. They tried everything - Software checks, erasing error codes (there were some), clicking into the harness, a spare door handle. Nothing worked. The driver side door trimmings, window mechanism was all pulled out to check the various wiring looms. At the surface all seemed well.

I requested them to check power coming to each connector for specific looms. Lo and behold they found one point where there was no power. The loom was unwrapped (the tape that holds it together was unwound from it) To my absolute amazement, one of the 36 wires in the loom was broken. Nor stretched due to any stress in it but just in HALF, as if some one had cut it off cleanly. This was reattached, with a connector, a heat gun sealing the connector over the two sides. It is back to operating well now. It took me 5.5 hours on my feet to help them with this but they were nice about it and worked heard to get to this issue.

Interesting days ahead with the Virtus. I am not mad or sad or anything. I understand there could be defects and things of that nature in anything that is manufactured. Get it fixed and moved ahead. The folks had a nice long drive after that. Happy to report all is well.
Newtown is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 21:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
Day 2 of car ownership, the driver side door button to lock/unlock the door stopped working. It worked perfectly well from the key fob, worked fine for the passenger door and also worked the same way with the spare key fob. It was only the driver side door button that refused to do anything.
Oh Skoda, Skoda

This kind of thing is why I will never buy a Skoda car inspite of loving how they look and perform.

Glad it got sorted and hope you have a peaceful ownership going forward.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 13:39   #58
BHPian

Congrats buddy!
The discussions were going on to select a car between City and Taigun, but you ended up getting a Virtus for your dad!
Just like "Daane daane pe likha hai khaane wale ka naam", this is a case of "Gaadi gaadi pe likha hai chalane wale ka naam".
Anyways, It's great to hear that your dad loves the car, that was the whole point, to make your dad happy! Wish you and your dad many many happy miles ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Oh Skoda, Skoda
This kind of thing is why I will never buy a Skoda car inspite of loving how they look and perform.
Calm down buddy! It was just a minor issue, and it's great to hear that the VW Service guys solved that problem without creating any ruckus. These minor defects are bound to happen no matter which brand's car it may be.

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 26th September 2022 at 13:44.
TechnoBloop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 14:26   #59
BHPian

Congratulations on the new addition and happy miles of ownership! However please keep this one a little longer. The City will have more demand, the Virtus might not. Resale value is very less.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks